This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transportation

In SG-1, they only had the gate and later ships. In SGA, they had the gate, ships and Jumpers.

Now with Universe...they are on an Ancient ship, much older than Atlantis. A ship that is almost constantly moving (from what we know anyway). It's likely jumpers would not have been invented at the time. But maybe an older version of them existed?

From what i've read...it sounds like the ship is all on automatic...an unmanned ship sending out Stargates across the universe. If that's the case...there would be no need for the ancients to leave transport ships docked in it. (of course that also means no food, so maybe i'm wrong about it being unmanned)

If that's the case, that means the Stargate on the ship would be the only means of transportation...similiar to the early days of the Stargate program.

What do you all think? Will the Stargate be the only way on and off the ship? Or will they just happen to find Ancient transport ships left aboard for whatever reason?
    It feels good to be alive.
    Cause i've been dead for so long.

Originally posted by GhostPoet View Post
    Now with Universe...they are on an Ancient ship, much older than Atlantis. A ship that is almost constantly moving (from what we know anyway). It's likely jumpers would not have been invented at the time. But maybe an older version of them existed?
    It's likely that the Ancients invented small craft which could travel through Stargates around the same time that they invented Stargates.

From what i've read...it sounds like the ship is all on automatic...an unmanned ship sending out Stargates across the universe. If that's the case...there would be no need for the ancients to leave transport ships docked in it. (of course that also means no food, so maybe i'm wrong about it being unmanned)
    It's not clear which ship the Destiny is because there are two accounts of what the show's about and they seem to conflict with each other.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/0...has_a_go.shtml

The first report suggests that the Destiny is the ship seeding the Stargates. The second report says -

The crew will travel to the far reaches of the universe, connecting with each of the previously launched Stargates, thus fulfilling the Destiny's original mission. Challenges will arise though as the ship comes into range of Stargates placed centuries ahead of the Destiny and the crew is unable to control the ship's navigational schedule.

This suggests that the Destiny is the second, exploration ship and it's unmanned because the (a) original crew died and turned to dust millions of years ago or (b) crews worked on the ship for a number of years or whatever and the last crew was never replaced because the Ancients got into ascension instead. (It's unlikely that the Ancients couldn't gate back home if they felt like it even though the Earth crew can't find a way.)

Whichever ship it is it will have to be equipped with life support. If the Destiny is the seeding ship this could be explained by maintenance crews having visited it every so often via the onboard Stargate.

If that's the case, that means the Stargate on the ship would be the only means of transportation...similiar to the early days of the Stargate program.
    It would make sense for an exploration ship to have something like Puddle Jumpers on it as back up. If something went wrong with the onboard Stargate, crew members looking around a planet could be brought back to the ship while the Stargate was being repaired.
    sigpic

Comment

Well, with Atlantis' cancellation they have Puddlejumper props to spare.

Also, the follow-up ship was intended to be manned, so it would stand to reason that it would have living quarters and other tools designed to help it's eventual inhabitants- such as PJ~esque ships

Comment

well it seems logical to me that:

-prime ship. the destiny. essentially a massive kind of aurora, but housing all facillities of a base.

-FTL scouts. 4-6 ships, about al'kesh size, each with FTL capabilities. shield, weapons, etc.

-Gate scouts. like jumpers

Comment

Working...
        X