PDA

View Full Version : "The Four Great Races" SGU version

NIMBUS
August 27th, 2008, 07:07 AM
so, we all know that destiny is an old ship right? ... it's so old that it could have been created when alterans were in an alliance with nox asgard and furlings.
so do you ppl think we will see epps about "The Four Great Races" and what was going on with them. do you think will will see furlings or brake away parts of ancients/nox/asgard in one of those galaxies they will visit?

this is "the dreaming" topic ... start moving your brains and fingers ppl :) what would you like to see in sgu(ancients in another galaxy who interefere? nox who commit murders or partying asgard? :D )

start flooding :)

Character
August 27th, 2008, 09:33 AM
It would be great, but the series is supposed to be seperate from the earlier ones, so there'll probably be as little references to past stuff as possible. And also i think the alliance was formed later, but i may be wrong at this, most dates in SG tend to be vague, like "milions of years ago", the same when ancients left MW, same in AOT...

sg1adam
August 27th, 2008, 09:49 AM
From what I understand, it was before the Great Alliance that the Destiny was sent out, for me "millions of years ago" does it for me.

The Prophet
August 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM
When was the Alliance of Four Great Races? It seems that it follow the pattern of the ambiguous "millions of years" ago too...

lommit
August 27th, 2008, 10:14 AM
well i think SGU is before the great alliance. but maybe
it will end that they start the great alliance, just a thought.
well only time will tell,when we get more info

NIMBUS
August 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM
i just wanted to mention that there was a line like this somewhere in SGU 'text' :P
"the anciens were at their peak when the destiny was built" i think that beeing a part of the greatest alliance in the known universe is their peak.

but who knows :)

btw ppl i didn't hear your hopes and dreams for SGU. start typing! :P

jimv1983
August 27th, 2008, 12:50 PM
An Asgard told Jack that you had to pretty advanced to be part of the Alliance. 30,000 years ago the Asgard did not have hyper drives. Remember their first ship they were all in stasis. I don't even think the Asgard were an intelligent species millions of years ago. It leads me to believe that the Alliance was created after the ancients returned from Pegasus 10,000 years ago.

Yaskaleh
August 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Then comes the next question. Didn't most of the ancients either ascend or intermingle with the primitve humans of earth? From what I've read and seen, Less than a third of the returning ancients left through the stargate. How then did they manage to start an alliance with such low number? A handful of failed alltarans/lantians/ancients.

unluckynumber11
August 27th, 2008, 03:48 PM
you know, it's so good we have another thread for this, i just thought i was content with one but, i was wrong! :P

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
August 27th, 2008, 04:01 PM
An Asgard told Jack that you had to pretty advanced to be part of the Alliance. 30,000 years ago the Asgard did not have hyper drives. Remember their first ship they were all in stasis. I don't even think the Asgard were an intelligent species millions of years ago. It leads me to believe that the Alliance was created after the ancients returned from Pegasus 10,000 years ago.

First, can you tell me which episode the Asgard told Jack this? I'd like to view the scene.:)

Second I agree with Yaskaleh who said:

Didn't most of the ancients either ascend or intermingle with the primitve humans of earth? From what I've read and seen, Less than a third of the returning ancients left through the stargate. How then did they manage to start an alliance with such low number? A handful of failed alltarans/lantians/ancients.

When the Ancients returned to Earth it essentially marked the end of their civilization as they dispersed to all parts of the globe or ascended. No time to establish an alliance.:)

Saquist
August 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
so, we all know that destiny is an old ship right? ... it's so old that it could have been created when alterans were in an alliance with nox asgard and furlings.
so do you ppl think we will see epps about "The Four Great Races" and what was going on with them. do you think will will see furlings or brake away parts of ancients/nox/asgard in one of those galaxies they will visit?

this is "the dreaming" topic ... start moving your brains and fingers ppl :) what would you like to see in sgu(ancients in another galaxy who interefere? nox who commit murders or partying asgard? :D )

start flooding :)

You know I wish Stargate SG-1 touched on the other four species.

Xaeden
August 27th, 2008, 06:51 PM

It might just be that they didn't have advanced intergalactic hyperdrives yet, but were very adept with interstellar hyperdrives for some time so getting to the Milky Way or a much further away location was a bit more difficult for them. Which doesn't mean they weren't advanced enough to be part of the alliance 5-10 million years. Afterall, a couple of the franchise's most deadly foes were limited to their galaxy. Plus the Asgard did tell Humans they were the fifth before fading off into the sunset and since they're not really sentimental beings, it's possible they were basing that off of the original standards for admission. Which I personally think had to do with intellect, not necessarily the level of technological development.

-PITBULL-
August 27th, 2008, 11:21 PM

Well first off that makes no sense in allot of ways ... Why , you might ask yourself ... Well let me break it down to you ...

1. Ancients LEFT Earth 50 Million years ago cause of a VIRUS , they left for the Pegasus Galaxy . These means that the Ancients , Nox's , Furling's and Asgard's had to have some kind of Alliances ... Seeing how the only thing we have on the GREAT ALLIANCE was in SG-1 and it was found in the MW Galaxy ...

2. The Last of the KNOWN Ancients that we now of from the pegasus galaxy left there 10 thousand years ago for HOME ( Earth ) . Once here they saw that earth had its own new race starting out . Some might have stayed to help while the rest went off to do there own thing ..

This left no room for a short term alliance and would have put the Asgards at some kind of disadvantage ..

Now i do believe the Asgards didn't have Hyper Drives 30,000 years ago , but thats cause they might have not needed to travel that fast at that time .. Seeing how the STARGATE was in there galaxy as well ..

sg1adam
August 28th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I'm guessing that the ship that they sent out to seed the universe with stargates went through the Ida galaxy or it least where the Asguard where living along with the others of the alliance before they allied together, for whatever reason they decided to club together. Perhaps it was to share knowledge and tech etc...?????

I think that this should be covered in it least one episode to help clear things up for us all.

Quetz
August 28th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Maybe they'll touch on it, like in one episode, but I think the 4 GR are more an SG-1 thing.

I just hope the enemies of the show won't somehow be able to speak modern English or be obvious humans in costumes, which is something that annoys me about sci-fi shows!

jimv1983
August 28th, 2008, 03:29 AM
In the fifth race season one or two the Asgard tells Jack they are not ready to be the fifth race, not that that even conflicts with my point.

The Asgard were just staring to explore space 30,000+ years ago. At the meeting place in Torment of Tantaus we see that the common language between them was the table of elements, the basic building block of the universe proving that all the races had discovered the atom. It's hard to believe that a species that was new to space travel 30,000 years ago would have known about the atom for that long. Even if the Asgard had been in space for quite a long time and just did not have intergalactic hyper drives yet you are talking about 30,000 years ago versus more than 5 - 10 MILLION years ago. You realize that would mean it took the Asgard millions of years to go from discovering the atom to sending ships out. On Earth we went from discovering the atom(1897) to landing a man on the moon(1969) in ONLY 72 years. Or if you count the earliest theory of the atom in the 5th century BC which was still only 7,000 years ago. I think a safe estimation of the Asgard advancement, from discovering the atom to the point that they were at 30,000 years ago, would only have taken maybe 15,000 or so years meaning that anytime before about 50,000 years ago the Asgard were at a very primitive stage and most likely just emerging as a species on their home world.

I guess there is also the possibility that the alliance was created while the ancients were in Pegasus. The ancients could have had regular visits to earth from Pegasus after the virus cleared up. I mean it is only a stargate trip away and we know they had a steady supply of ZPMs.

unluckynumber11
August 28th, 2008, 03:57 AM
In the fifth race season one or two the Asgard tells Jack they are not ready to be the fifth race, not that that even conflicts with my point.

The Asgard were just staring to explore space 30,000+ years ago. At the meeting place in Torment of Tantaus we see that the common language between them was the table of elements, the basic building block of the universe proving that all the races had discovered the atom. It's hard to believe that a species that was new to space travel 30,000 years ago would have known about the atom for that long. Even if the Asgard had been in space for quite a long time and just did not have intergalactic hyper drives yet you are talking about 30,000 years ago versus more than 5 - 10 MILLION years ago. You realize that would mean it took the Asgard millions of years to go from discovering the atom to sending ships out. On Earth we went from discovering the atom(1897) to landing a man on the moon(1969) in ONLY 72 years. Or if you count the earliest theory of the atom in the 5th century BC which was still only 7,000 years ago. I think a safe estimation of the Asgard advancement, from discovering the atom to the point that they were at 30,000 years ago, would only have taken maybe 15,000 or so years meaning that anytime before about 50,000 years ago the Asgard were at a very primitive stage and most likely just emerging as a species on their home world.

I guess there is also the possibility that the alliance was created while the ancients were in Pegasus. The ancients could have had regular visits to earth from Pegasus after the virus cleared up. I mean it is only a stargate trip away and we know they had a steady supply of ZPMs.

i think they mean interstellar travel when they say "space travel". As for us only taking 72 years to get to the moon, we didn't go that far relitivly speaking, the asgard were probably going even farther back then

Xaeden
August 28th, 2008, 07:58 AM
The Asgard couldn't have just begun space exploration 30,000 years ago as there is no way they could've drifted from Ida to the Milky Way in that amount of time if they had no ability to go faster than sublight speeds to begin with. Even if their galaxy was one of the closest ones to the Milky Way, they had to use hyperdrives to get them part of them way and it's more likely that their navigational system failed on their way to another galaxy rather than it failing with them trying to get to another planet in their own galaxy and then the computer taking them off course by sending them into the void. For all we know, they put their crew in stasis simply because the trip took months to get where they wanted to go (which could've been the Milky Way or a galaxy much further off) and they wanted to preserve their resources. Since we don't know where exactly they were heading or how long it would've taken them, we have no way knowing how advanced they were at that point in time (their hyperdrive technology plus power capabilities at the time could've resulted in a ship not too much slower than a 304) and if they did indeed have primitive intergalactic capabilities back then, we have no idea how long they had them for.

Since the Ancients seemed to not get very far after many millions of years, there's no telling how long these technologies take to develop on their own within the Stargate universe. For all we know, they were isolated, and had no other civilizations to build their technology on after the plaque hit the Ancients, no other civilizations to have conflicts with which sped up development, (before the replicators) and other problems that distracted them from excelling at space travel. For example, Heimdall said that their ancestor was from a time before their "program of genetic manipulation became irreversible," not before it began. So it suggests that they were facing genetic problems for some time and trying to keep their species going with cloning way before 30,000 years ago. I doubt that they began cloning themselves millions of years ago, but it could've been a problem for many thousands of years that they were forced to make their primary scientific concern and before that who knows what they viewed as important to focus on.

Character
August 28th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Actualy those are very good points. WHile it doesnt make the asgard as old as the ancients (Who seem to have wondered through the galaxy or resetled often, instead of advancing), but it certainly means that the asgard may be significantly older than people think.

-PITBULL-
August 28th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Actualy those are very good points. WHile it doesnt make the asgard as old as the ancients (Who seem to have wondered through the galaxy or resetled often, instead of advancing), but it certainly means that the asgard may be significantly older than people think.

Yeah well you have to look at what they where working with ...

Asgards had to have been older then 30,000 years or so ... I would guess that aroud 30,000 years ago the asgards where starting to really explore other Galaxies that where close by , as well as starting there cloning ...

I would guess that what ever VIRUS that was killing off the Ancients go to the Asgards as well . But the asgards couldn't get in contact with the Ancients cause of the ancients leaving Earth 50 million years ago ...

These might have lead to the asgards finding a new way to live and would have been exploring the cloning process .. They did say at one point in history that the asgards looked more human like that alien like .. .

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
August 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Well let me break it down to you ...

1. Ancients LEFT Earth 50 Million years ago cause of a VIRUS ,

Actually 50 Million years ago is when the Ancients/Aterans arrived on Earth and established themselves on the Antarctic continent during its semi-tropical phase. They left Earth for Pegasus some 10 million years ago and returned here some 10,000 years ago. Doesn't really alter your analysis though, which I mostly agree with.

Now i do believe the Asgards didn't have Hyper Drives 30,000 years ago , but thats cause they might have not needed to travel that fast at that time .. Seeing how the STARGATE was in there galaxy as well ..

Thank you. A very important point worth emphasizing. Even if the Asgard didn't have hyperdrives they could have used the stargate network(s).

Also possible, as the Antarctic gate may have still been manned during the Ancients' stay in Pegasus. How the events of "Frozen" (Ayiana) would fit into that scenario I'm not sure.

jimv1983
August 28th, 2008, 11:37 PM
But the asgards couldn't get in contact with the Ancients cause of the ancients leaving Earth 50 million years ago ...

Just to clear something up. The Ancients did not leave earth for Pegasus 50 million years ago. They got to the Milky Way galaxy 50 million years ago and spend 40 - 45 million years here before they went to Pegasus 5-10 million years ago.

Character
August 29th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I'm wondering where all this info (from most of you) is coming from? My memory isnt crisp clear but i dont remember anyone on the show, stating anything more acurate that "millions of years ago". Well now lookingat some screen caps in rising it says "several milion years ago", but where is this 50 number from?

Xaeden
August 29th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm wondering where all this info (from most of you) is coming from? My memory isnt crisp clear but i dont remember anyone on the show, stating anything more acurate that "millions of years ago". Well now lookingat some screen caps in rising it says "several milion years ago", but where is this 50 number from?

From "Frozen..."

CARTER
The one found with the Antarctic Gate died shortly after it was brought back to Area 51. It was used a few times and then just ran out of energy. That was the first indication we had that the power sources fueling the Gate technology have a limited life span. We've run a number of tests comparing the power source to other off world DHDs. We think we now have evidence that the Gate we found down there is one of the oldest in the entire system. It could be as much as 50 million years old.

CARTER
The ice core sample that Osbourne brought back places Ayiana in the same vein as the Stargate. She's at least three million years old. But if she comes from a race that actually predates the glacier and your theory is correct, she could be a lot older.

Then in "Rising..."

JACKSON
I figure the Ancients packed up their entire city and left somewhere between five and ten million years ago.

Yaskaleh
August 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM
The stargate they found in Atnarctica was 50 million years old, according to Carter. she speculated that It might be the oldest gate in the galaxy.

Xaeden beat me :(

Character
August 29th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I see, well thats alot of "could be" and "figure", to me it sounds they dont realy know, but i guess its as precise as one can get with just this.

PG15
August 30th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Just in case, this is the exact quote about the Asgard ancestor from Revelations:

That is one of my ancestors. Thirty thousand years ago a ship was launched from the Asgard homeworld, its crew placed in suspended animation. There was a failure on the navigational system and the ship was lost. Through the millennia it drifted across the empty expanse between our galaxies until it arrived here. We discovered it six months ago.

They had have some sort of hyperdrive, or else the Asgard homeworld would be less than 30000 light years away, which is impossible since we could then just dial to it without extra power (since we can obviously dial every MW gate, and the MW is 100000 light years across).

jimv1983
April 10th, 2010, 01:02 AM
First, can you tell me which episode the Asgard told Jack this? I'd like to view the scene.:)

When the Ancients returned to Earth it essentially marked the end of their civilization as they dispersed to all parts of the globe or ascended. No time to establish an alliance.:)

The Asgard told Jack in The Fifth Race.

Just because there were not a large number of Ancients when they returned from Atlantis does not mean they did not make Alliances with other races. The alliance of the 4 great races was a sharing of knowledge and technology.

The Asgard started exploring space 30,000 years ago and their oldest historical records are only 100,000 years old(don't remember the episode they said that). There is no way they could have been part of the alliance millions of years ago.

escyos
April 10th, 2010, 02:10 AM
who said the ancients didnt return to the milkyway during their time in pegasus, would explain the outposts we've found, im pretty sure it was during this time the alliance was created

tainor
April 10th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I actually had a theory about this long time ago and it is that the Alliance was formed during the Lantean period, when the Ancients were residing in Pegasus.

Well IMO the Great Alliance could not be formed pre-Pegasus, because we know none of the races to be over 10-50 million years old. It could not be formed post-Pegasus also, because the Ancients were just a hand few left, with no hope of EVER rebuilding their once great civilization with the primitive humans on Earth.

In my viewing of the Alliance it does not fit the Ancients to be "Great" after they came back to the MW after being defeated by the Wraith. I think the Alliance was formed during the time when the Ancients were in the Pegasus Galaxy. This will also signify "THE Great Alliance" as maybe each of the races inhabited different Galaxy at the time?

Ancients- We know they were in the Pegasus Galaxy
Asgard- Ida Galaxy
Nox- Milky Way Galaxy
Furling- Andromeda Galaxy? ( This is only a speculation)

...But it fits the theme as each of the races would be considered Great as they had the ability to transverse their own Galaxy and journey to other ones.
30 000 years ago the Asgard possessed no Intergalactic hyperdrives that's why they stayed in stasis for the reminder of the journey to the Milky Way from Ida. 10 000 ago they did as the Vanir left Ida to travel to the Pegasus galaxy. For the alliance to be created, it must've been between 30, 000 -10, 000 years ago as each of the races would be in the hight of their power.

Now if that was the case and they were allies during the war, how come none of the other races helped out the Ancients in the war with the Wraith?
Well we know that 10 000 years ago, when the Asgard(Vanir) first arrived in Pegasus (TLT) their fleet of inter-galactic ships were destroyed in the FIRST battle with the Wraith(also this explains why the Wraith were able to counter measure so quickly the beaming tech on the Daedalus as it was probably not that different from the one the Asgard used 10 000 years ago)

Which shows that the Asgard ships were not as advanced as the Wraith hives or cruisers 10 000 years ago, the ships probably used by the Asgard were the Belisniker class ships as Teal'c mentioned that the Asgard vessels were almost a myth (Thor's Chariot).

Then 10 000 years ago the Asgard may not have been able to fight with the Wraith as simply they would have been over-powered greatly and given that they were from a different galaxy transport was no easy also.

Now 10 000 years later, if they were not crippled by the Replicators they might be able to defeat them as Hermoid was not very surprised with the Wraith tech in "The Alliance" episode which indicate that he has at least heard or studied it before?

But there's one more thing also, when the hologram lady in the first episode mentioned that the Lanteans never meet a race that had technology that rivaled their own, it seems like if the Alliance was formed during the Pegasus time none of the races could come even close, to what the Ancients had back then, this is also confirmed with the Pegasus Asgard(Vanir) who were defeated by the Wraith 10 000 years ago, so the alliance IMO was formed during the Ancient stay in Pegasus, but was an alliance of exchange of knowledge and intellectual ideas rather technological as it seems as none of the 3 races were even close to possessing Ancient level technology at the time. So it would have been worthless if they engaged the Wraith as they would be simply willing sacrificing their lives.

In conclusion: It all looks a bit vague, but it makes only "good" sense that the Alliance was formed during the Ancient reign in Pegasus at the hight of their power (ie. Not fighting the Wraith) and that none of the other races were over 10 million years old to be pre-Pegasus, the Asgard are only 100 000 years old in written history(TLT) and 30 000+ in hyperdrive technology.
Maybe if each of the 4 races is from a different galaxy(that's why we've seen second to none of the Furling in the Milky Way) they all have a meeting place in each of their Galaxy as in "Heliopolis".

My vote goes for during Pegasus Alliance as it makes the most sense out of all other theories.

Tain :thor:

Puddle-Jumper
April 10th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Im pretty sure the destiny was sent out before the alliance... Ernests planet had a stargate on it, so did the nox's planet, and the asgard had stargates... so since the destinys gate predates the MW gate technology its kinda safe to assume that the destiny was sent out before the alliance..

jimv1983
April 10th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I actually had a theory about this long time ago and it is that the Alliance was formed during the Lantean period, when the Ancients were residing in Pegasus.

Well IMO the Great Alliance could not be formed pre-Pegasus, because we know none of the races to be over 10-50 million years old. It could not be formed post-Pegasus also, because the Ancients were just a hand few left, with no hope of EVER rebuilding their once great civilization with the primitive humans on Earth.

In my viewing of the Alliance it does not fit the Ancients to be "Great" after they came back to the MW after being defeated by the Wraith. I think the Alliance was formed during the time when the Ancients were in the Pegasus Galaxy. This will also signify "THE Great Alliance" as maybe each of the races inhabited different Galaxy at the time?

Ancients- We know they were in the Pegasus Galaxy
Asgard- Ida Galaxy
Nox- Milky Way Galaxy
Furling- Andromeda Galaxy? ( This is only a speculation)

...But it fits the theme as each of the races would be considered Great as they had the ability to transverse their own Galaxy and journey to other ones.
30 000 years ago the Asgard possessed no Intergalactic hyperdrives that's why they stayed in stasis for the reminder of the journey to the Milky Way from Ida. 10 000 ago they did as the Vanir left Ida to travel to the Pegasus galaxy. For the alliance to be created, it must've been between 30, 000 -10, 000 years ago as each of the races would be in the hight of their power.

Now if that was the case and they were allies during the war, how come none of the other races helped out the Ancients in the war with the Wraith?
Well we know that 10 000 years ago, when the Asgard(Vanir) first arrived in Pegasus (TLT) their fleet of inter-galactic ships were destroyed in the FIRST battle with the Wraith(also this explains why the Wraith were able to counter measure so quickly the beaming tech on the Daedalus as it was probably not that different from the one the Asgard used 10 000 years ago)

Which shows that the Asgard ships were not as advanced as the Wraith hives or cruisers 10 000 years ago, the ships probably used by the Asgard were the Belisniker class ships as Teal'c mentioned that the Asgard vessels were almost a myth (Thor's Chariot).

Then 10 000 years ago the Asgard may not have been able to fight with the Wraith as simply they would have been over-powered greatly and given that they were from a different galaxy transport was no easy also.

Now 10 000 years later, if they were not crippled by the Replicators they might be able to defeat them as Hermoid was not very surprised with the Wraith tech in "The Alliance" episode which indicate that he has at least heard or studied it before?

But there's one more thing also, when the hologram lady in the first episode mentioned that the Lanteans never meet a race that had technology that rivaled their own, it seems like if the Alliance was formed during the Pegasus time none of the races could come even close, to what the Ancients had back then, this is also confirmed with the Pegasus Asgard(Vanir) who were defeated by the Wraith 10 000 years ago, so the alliance IMO was formed during the Ancient stay in Pegasus, but was an alliance of exchange of knowledge and intellectual ideas rather technological as it seems as none of the 3 races were even close to possessing Ancient level technology at the time. So it would have been worthless if they engaged the Wraith as they would be simply willing sacrificing their lives.

In conclusion: It all looks a bit vague, but it makes only "good" sense that the Alliance was formed during the Ancient reign in Pegasus at the hight of their power (ie. Not fighting the Wraith) and that none of the other races were over 10 million years old to be pre-Pegasus, the Asgard are only 100 000 years old in written history(TLT) and 30 000+ in hyperdrive technology.
Maybe if each of the 4 races is from a different galaxy(that's why we've seen second to none of the Furling in the Milky Way) they all have a meeting place in each of their Galaxy as in "Heliopolis".

My vote goes for during Pegasus Alliance as it makes the most sense out of all other theories.

Tain :thor:

I don't think the ship that the Asgard took to Pegasus was a Belisniker class ships. That is what the Asgard were using when SG-1 first encountered them. I highly doubt the Asgard were using a class of ship that was 10,000 years old.

When the Ancients returned from Pegasus they found a harsh environment with primitive people. It seems to me that they were surprised by what they found. The reason they left Milky Way in the first place was the plague. I don't think they would have had much back and forth trips to Milky Way given the risk of the plague. They only returned to Earth 10,000 years ago because they had no other choice. Returning to Earth would have not really meant much if they had been going back and forth and therefore not really left at all.

I do agree, as everyone should, that the Alliance did NOT happen before leaving for Pegasus.

I'm still on the side of the alliance being created after the return from Atlantis. The Ancients were highly advanced, they did invent the Stargates. Why does being a "Great Race" mean you have to be at the height of you civilization. Thor said humans had become the "Fifth Race" and we aren't at our height yet. The Great Alliance was a sharing of knowledge. The Ancients may have started/joined the alliance for the same reason they set up the repositories of knowledge to share their legacy with those they thought were advanced enough.

I do think it's a good theory and as far as i can remember(that has been 314 episodes of SG-1/SGA) there is no concrete data that would say it's impossible. I just think, given what we know, that is highly unlikely.

_Famrir_
April 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM
who said the Asgard didn't have hyper-drives? just because they had stasis pods does not mean they didn't have the capability to use hyper-drives. They were drifting in the void after all which would indicate they had some form of FTL and they went into their pods once they came to the conclusion they couldn't fix their hyper-drive (much like the Lanteans on the aurora)

jimv1983
April 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
who said the Asgard didn't have hyper-drives? just because they had stasis pods does not mean they didn't have the capability to use hyper-drives. They were drifting in the void after all which would indicate they had some form of FTL and they went into their pods once they came to the conclusion they couldn't fix their hyper-drive (much like the Lanteans on the aurora)

If I remember correctly the old Asgard ship was refereed to as a sleeper ship meaning being in stasis was most likely the normal procedure for the ship and not used only for emergencies.

Regardless of that there is still no way the Asgard could have been part of the alliance millions of years ago. In the SGA episode The Lost Tribe the Asgard said that their historical record only started 100,000 years ago which means at that point there were very primitive and would not have been part of the alliance.

Descended Alteran
April 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM
It might be as simple as this: The Alliance of the Four Great Races was formed over time. First beeing an alliance of the Nox and the Ancients, or perhaps Furlings and Ancient from the beginning, and then getting new members as they made first contact. Culminating with the Asgard. It seem likely that the Asgard would be the latest addition to the alliance, due to their somewhat brief history (compared to for example the ancients).

Pharaoh Atem
April 11th, 2010, 02:56 PM
no just no. no more great races and cheesy names

jimv1983
April 11th, 2010, 07:59 PM
It might be as simple as this: The Alliance of the Four Great Races was formed over time. First beeing an alliance of the Nox and the Ancients, or perhaps Furlings and Ancient from the beginning, and then getting new members as they made first contact. Culminating with the Asgard. It seem likely that the Asgard would be the latest addition to the alliance, due to their somewhat brief history (compared to for example the ancients).

Good point. I never thought of that.

escyos
April 12th, 2010, 02:27 AM
its possible that the first seeder ships sent info to earth so they ancients found out that their was advanced life in those closer galaxies and so went out to meet them