Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just realised how good we have it here.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just realised how good we have it here.

Good day all, long time reader first time poster and all that..

I've just realised something. I live in Ireland and in the UK&I SGA is shown on SkyOne, which turns out to be a very good channel now that I think about it. Most of the best shows are (SGA, BSG, 24, Lost, Prison Break, Simpsons etc...) or have been (SG1, Futurama, Buffy/Angel, Cold Case, ST:NG/DS9/Voyager/Entreprise etc...) shown on this channel. And it's available on basic cable too, which means you don't have to suscribe for it.

Meanwhile in the US most good shows are on different channels, some of which you have to suscribe to and I can only imagine how incovenient this must be.

Now my point is this, I've just been to SciFi's website to check out what shows they have and as far as I can tell they have frak all. BSG is ending, SGA is ending, Flash Gordon was, well, crap... the only renewed show they seem to have is Eureka which is a good little show but hardly the kind of series that's going to attract many paying customers.

The fact that SkyOne, who have all those great shows, have been showing 1 rerun of SG1 AND SGA everyday at 6 and 7PM, plus a new SGA episode on prime time Tuesday, plus the SG1 movies on prime time on the same week the DVDs are released, plus a SG1/SGA marathon EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND for the last 2 or 3 years... That's a lot of pretty good time slots for just the 2 shows!

All this leads me to believe that SG shows must be pretty profitable and are certainly pulling a lot of viewers down here.

Surely they are pulling a lot of viewers in the US of A too.

My question is this, why didn't SciFi put more of a fight? It's not like they are exactly crumbling under the weight of all the good shows they have. As I said, they seem to have frak all else.

They seem to have the money to produce unedulcorated dross masquerading as TV movies why couldn't they better use their cash and try and save SGA? Did they even try or do they think people would rather watch an overweight Stephen Baldwin fighting giant snakes rather than watch McKay, Shep and the rest of the gang?

I really don't understand this, am I missing something?

P3X-666

PS: Oh, and Wrestling on a SciFi channel? What in the name of sweet dancing Methuselah is that all about?!?
    sigpic

It's too bad you don't get Earth: Final Conflict. That was one of my favorite sci-fi shows.

As for the last part, NBC/Universal is a very strange media conglomerate when it comes to programming choices.

Comment

The way i understand it was a joint decision by MGM and SCI-FI to cancel the show and pursue the likes of SGU and Sanctuary.

Sky One is good for Sci fi shows but the UK SCI-FI channel can be poor, the only shows i care to watch on it are Star Trek TOS and Quantum Leap.
      Last edited by IcarusAbides; 27 August 2008, 04:45 AM. Reason: messed up
      sigpic

Comment

The scifi channel over here in the UK is pish....Most of it is pishy movies and repeats we've already seen like two dozen times......Sky one is a far superior channel over here...They get most of the good US shows first....They've always been great with Stargate and i've noticed this season Atlantis is getting some great preview coverage....I love my Sky one

Oh and also we're not far behind the US now in regards to episodes
        sigpic

Comment

I think SCI-FI have to give sky preference over shows which would have aired on sci fi as it is sky that carries the channel, either way its still useless.
          sigpic

Comment

Its just a shame that due to the Virgin Media/Sky dispute, access to Sky One is limited to just Sky customers

Comment

Yea that is a shame
              sigpic

Comment

I didn't know that. In Ireland Sky comes with basic cable. Good thing too as I can't a satellite dish where I live. Phew.
                sigpic

Comment

I believe we did get Earth final conflict. its never been repeated as far as i remember but we did get one viewing of it, i think that was on Sky1 as well. its a pretty good channel, them showing the movies is proof enough of that.

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
                    It's too bad you don't get Earth: Final Conflict. That was one of my favorite sci-fi shows.

As for the last part, NBC/Universal is a very strange media conglomerate when it comes to programming choices.
                    That is a very nice way of putting it, my friend. I probably couldn't have been that nice.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I could have been a lot meaner towards NBC/Universal. In my opinion, they deserve it.

A lot of people here thought that SCIFI was trying to strongarm MGM two years ago with the SG-1 cancellation, citing their contract.

Seeing the success of Ark Of Truth and Continuum, SCIFI wanted some of the action in this case. Whether it's with DVD sales, I am uncertain, given distribution is through MGM. I can only guess that they wish to attempt a ratings success with first-airing of the film.

Comment

Working...
                      X