This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pattern of Deaths

In both Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis, near the start of the season; one of the secondary cast has been lost to the newly introduced bad-guy.

SG-1 had Kawalsky lost to the Goa'uld.

Atlantis had Colonel Sumner lost to the Wraith Keeper.

Both times infact, it was one of our own that ultimately killed them, Teal'c holding Kawalsky's head in the event horizon and Shepherd shooting Sumner in a mercy killing.

So, if the pattern follows, one of the introductory team will be a goner, possibly an already-established one (such as how Kawalsky was established in the preceeding Stargate movie).

Any hopes/ fears of any secondary characters from SG-1/ Atlantis crossing over to Universe only to meet an untimely fate?

Lorne perhaps? In theme with both Kawalsky and Sumner being soldiers?

I wouldn't count on SGU following the same format as SG-1 or SGA, though I do see some deaths happening in the premier, probably quite a few IMO.

Comment

Their expert in Ancient technology could be killed to 'explain' why nobody can figure out how to control the ship.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
        Their expert in Ancient technology could be killed to 'explain' why nobody can figure out how to control the ship.
        Goodbye Dr. McKay!
        Meh.

Comment

It sounds to me like they are going in a direction where they may not have that cross-over tie-in with SG-1/SGA, other than maybe the team leaving through the SGC.

Someone(s) will die or get left behind for good somewhere in the first episode of SGU; that's a good bet. It will probably follow the Sumner model (hiring a bigger known actor for a one-off), particularly with the desire for the show to go younger (someone has to kill those chaperons for the kids to run around all alone).
          I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

I assume it'll be a Red Shirt, much as Sumner was- someone we get introduced to and are starting to get to know when WHAM! He's dead. Or she.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              I assume it'll be a Red Shirt, much as Sumner was- someone we get introduced to and are starting to get to know when WHAM! He's dead. Or she.
              I'd hardly call Sumner a red shirt, they're usually unimportant characters we don't get to know at all.

Comment

What they should do is have a character who is a regular for say the first 8 episodes get killed off in the 8th ep. They would tell everyone that he/she like the rest of the cast was signed for the whole season and they would even give him/her a character centric ep. That way when he/she gets killed it would be a shock and really hit home.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                  What they should do is have a character who is a regular for say the first 8 episodes get killed off in the 8th ep. They would tell everyone that he/she like the rest of the cast was signed for the whole season and they would even give him/her a character centric ep. That way when he/she gets killed it would be a shock and really hit home.
                  I would like it if they went that way.

This is one of the things I like about BSG, whenever a character is in danger, you never know if they will survive or not. Everyone is fair game and that keeps the tension going.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    I'd hardly call Sumner a red shirt, they're usually unimportant characters we don't get to know at all.
                    There's another kind of red shirt and we get two in 'The Storm'.

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1...ipts/110.shtml

CONTROL ROOM. The two guards are leaning on the balcony overlooking the Gate.

GUARD 1: Bacon.

GUARD 2: The one thing you wish you brought with you is bacon?

GUARD 1: Hey, it's the food that makes other food worth eating.

GUARD 2: You wish you brought bacon to another galaxy?

GUARD 1: Yeah, you asked me ... (Behind them, the Gate starts to dial in.) Offworld activation.

This conversation is meant to make us realise that nameless guards are people too so we'll feel sorry when they expire a few minutes later.

Yes, we did learn something about Sumner but he was only in one two-part story . His purpose was to die for several reasons - (a) introduced the viewers to Wraith feeding and mind control (b) make Sheppard and co. look heroic because they were able to kill the Caretaker and her guards and (c) Weir could end up telling Sheppard -

WEIR: Well, you are the ranking military officer now,

As Sumner fulfilled the purpose of a red shirt I class him as a red shirt.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                      Isn't that just Lt. Yarr in TNG?

Where she's there for ages then BOOM! Evil stop-motion puddle kills her!

"Say goodbye to your sanity!"

Spoiler:

Mollari: Isn't it ironic? When I first came to Babylon 5 I had all the choices in the world, and no power at all... now I have all the power I could ever want... and no choice... no choice...

Mollari: It was something my father said. I was just a boy... and I heard him, crying in his room. I asked him what was wrong, and he said "My shoes are too tight... but it does not matter... because I have forgotten how to dance..." ...I never understood that until now... now... my shoes are too tight... and I have forgotten how to dance...
                      Vir: I don't understand...
                      Mollari: ...nor should you...

Comment

Originally posted by Dimbo_Sama View Post
                        Isn't that just Lt. Yarr in TNG?

Where she's there for ages then BOOM! Evil stop-motion puddle kills her!
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denise_Crosby#Star_Trek

Tasha Yar was killed off because Denise Crosby wanted to leave the show.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X