Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else hope they play up the military angle?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else hope they play up the military angle?

So Stargate Atlantis tried (note the "tried) to move away from the military angle of Stargate with their international expedition of scientists and so on so forth, with a civilian leader (well, four out of five aint bad), and hey, only one of the main characters is USAF.

I enjoyed it. Not quite as non-military as I expected. But a very good show.

However, I'm desperatly hoping that SGU goes back to Stargate's roots and really emphasises the military nature of the show, particularly as it seems this new concept is straying away from every other route.

Give them actual combats, instead of the old style SG1 uniforms, make sure they're camo, not black. If it must be set on an Ancient ship, let's have our characters act like professional soldiers, not like Sheppard, but like Dixon and Reynolds, and even early O'Neill.

Let's see someone like Caldwell in command, someone who's not afraid to lay down the rules and regulations. Oh and ensure everyone has a regulation hair cut (*cough* Shep *cough*).

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

absoloutley! we definately need less of the civvies.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

My idea of a sensible selection for this expedition would be military plus scientists and a doctor etc. who have had military training.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
      Let's see someone like Caldwell in command, someone who's not afraid to lay down the rules and regulations.
      Agreed. Can we also have a security officer who recognises security risks? I really wanted to hit Sheppard when he let Lavin go after learning that he'd been perusing mission reports. Who knows what else he might have been perusing while he was at it.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
      Give them actual combats, instead of the old style SG1 uniforms, make sure they're camo, not black.
      And make it a rule that women's uniforms must fit properly rather than being one size too small in order to emphasise their feminine charms.
      sigpic

Comment

i would like a more military control, i think the ioa should learn their lesson from atlantis, that they don't know what kind of enemy is out there, but i think they should have at least some civilians, scientists that are familiar with ancient tech.

KEEP IT CLEAN
        Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
        Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
          My idea of a sensible selection for this expedition would be military plus scientists and a doctor etc. who have had military training.

Agreed. Can we also have a security officer who recognises security risks? I really wanted to hit Sheppard when he let Lavin go after learning that he'd been perusing mission reports. Who knows what else he might have been perusing while he was at it.

And make it a rule that women's uniforms must fit properly rather than being one size too small in order to emphasise their feminine charms.
          Indeed, and the doctor could very easily be a military medical officer. Like Janet was. (Who was a Captain in S1 btw).

As for the security officer, Sergeant Bates? Well I know he's NID now, but someone like him would be ideal. Someone in charge WILLING to say, "damn it the Athosians ARE a security risk!"

And a major yes on the femmy uniform. And on make up. This is a bug bear. They need to act like personnel.

EDIT:

Unlucky: I disagree about your IOA comments. The IOA have just as much a role in the SGC as Atlantis, and THAT is important. Military action must always have civilian oversight, there's evidence for this in the first Gulf War. However tactically and strategically the military cannot be micro managed. Overall objectives must be decided by civilians, but micro managing causes problems as in the first two phases of the Kosovo Air War.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
            Indeed, and the doctor could very easily be a military medical officer. Like Janet was. (Who was a Captain in S1 btw).
            I just want all the scientists and doctors to be military trained. After Rodney, Beckett, Zelenka and Keller starting out clueless I'd like a bit of a change.

As for the security officer, Sergeant Bates? Well I know he's NID now, but someone like him would be ideal. Someone in charge WILLING to say, "damn it the Athosians ARE a security risk!"
            The only problem that I had with Bates is that he came across as a bit of a rigid, by the book stereotype. What I'd like to see is a security officer who used to be on an SGC team. He/she would then have the experience to know that things mightn't always be as clear cut as they seem on the surface. How could Bates be 100% certain it was an Athosian contacting the Wraith rather than one of the Atlantis humans who'd been got at by the enemy? (Human looks at something interesting. Zap! Human now conditioned to perform a certain task. ) If it had been me I'd have put all of the team through a thorough search and investigation.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
              I just want all the scientists and doctors to be military trained. After Rodney, Beckett, Zelenka and Keller starting out clueless I'd like a bit of a change.

The only problem that I had with Bates is that he came across as a bit of a rigid, by the book stereotype. What I'd like to see is a security officer who used to be on an SGC team. He/she would then have the experience to know that things mightn't always be as clear cut as they seem on the surface. How could Bates be 100% certain it was an Athosian contacting the Wraith rather than one of the Atlantis humans who'd been got at by the enemy? (Human looks at something interesting. Zap! Human now conditioned to perform a certain task. ) If it had been me I'd have put all of the team through a thorough search and investigation.
              Yeah, there's no reason they're scientist can't be military, Lt Hailey, (now most likely a Captain or a Major would be a good choice). In fact, any job can be performed by a military officer or NCO, medical, engineer, science. Hell there's no need for ANY civvies. Which would lead to some awesome scenes like in the SG movie with team interaction.

As for by the book rigid. Hey, you get a lot of those in the forces, and I think he was right. I reckon a lot of Bates' certainty came from the fact every suggestion was shot down by Shep, that sort of thing makes you argue your case more and you forget your "it could be" line and it becomes "it is". Every security concern mentioned by Bates is valid, you can NOT trust a new race of people instantly. Particularly when you invite them into your city and you suddenly put one on your team. Yet such an opinion is unpopular. Even if you HAVE had SGC experience, his statements were valid.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I would enjoy a more military emphasis. However I still like the idea of an international force rather than just the US. I'm hopeful that their will be very very few members of the Destiny crew that aren't military.

Don't hold your breath regarding any of those characters being in the show. Highly unlikely their will be any crossover at all.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarleviathan View Post
                  I would enjoy a more military emphasis. However I still like the idea of an international force rather than just the US. I'm hopeful that their will be very very few members of the Destiny crew that aren't military.

Don't hold your breath regarding any of those characters being in the show. Highly unlikely their will be any crossover at all.
                  How about a UN Taskforce? International AND military.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yes. I would very much like if the U.S. Air Force once again was in command of Stargate. On an expeditionary mission like this a military leader is preferable. In Atlantis I could understand the idea of a civilian leader but it didn't work out well did it? Air Force Officer Carter replaced the incompetent Weir. Now Atlantis is back to a civilian leader and it's working out thus far at least.
                    We're whalers on the moon,
                    We carry a harpoon.
                    But there ain't no whales
                    So we tell tall tales
                    And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

How about a UN Taskforce? International AND military.
                      WITH AN SAS TEAM!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oka View Post
                        Yes. I would very much like if the U.S. Air Force once again was in command of Stargate. On an expeditionary mission like this a military leader is preferable. In Atlantis I could understand the idea of a civilian leader but it didn't work out well did it? Air Force Officer Carter replaced the incompetent Weir. Now Atlantis is back to a civilian leader and it's working out thus far at least.
                        Regardless of your feelings on Weir, she did well for three years. Carter (who I was initially heavily opposed to) was put into the position because she was military and a scientist, because Atlantis faced a significant military threat greater than the wraith. A threat capable of overcoming all Atlantis' defences and had the intention of full scale war. Atlantis was at war, and they wanted a military figure to fight it. Once victory was achieved, she was replaced, by the perfect civilian leader if you ask me.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          WITH AN SAS TEAM!!!
                          Nah. That kinda mission is BENEATH them.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Nah. That kinda mission is BENEATH them.
                            True. Plus we don't want to make the no doubt American Hero team look bad.

Comment

I think a stargate show set on a ship, if it was to play up a millitary aspect, it'd be better off doing a naval type show set in space. Treat the ships as a big aircraft carrier type ship, all alone in space. Where the operations are more like a submarine or something.

You can do the whole conflict with the civilians, the scientists and the military all co-existing in the confided space.

That'd be the way to do it. I'd rather it be on an earth ship, with interiors closer to match naval vessels than futuristic star ships. Get a gritty real look to it all.

Comment

Working...
                              X