This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I don't like about the SGU Concept

Not sure if this is an approved thread or not, but with so many seemingly positive spin threads already here in this folder, I thought it might be nice to share our concerns about the entire concept of SGU.
    I realize that there is no actual show yet to be anti about, but the CONCEPT of the young, angsty, lost in space characters does not thrill me. (I will admit that I'll probably turn in to see what it is like, and make a final judgement at that point)
    If this thread gets deleted or merged, I'd understand....

Stargate has been so mediocre over the last half a dozen years that it's safe to say an anti thread is almost compulsory these days.
    I expect it to be the most popular thread very, very soon as soon as we hear more ghastly details and castings.
    Sign me up!

Comment

Originally posted by Repli!kat View Post
      Not sure if this is an approved thread or not, but with so many seemingly positive spin threads already here in this folder, I thought it might be nice to share our concerns about the entire concept of SGU.
      I realize that there is no actual show yet to be anti about, but the CONCEPT of the young, angsty, lost in space characters does not thrill me. (I will admit that I'll probably turn in to see what it is like, and make a final judgement at that point)
      I'm not crazy about the idea of another official split in the fan base before the actual series goes on air. Dividing everything like this may even hurt SGU's chances, even if it turns out to be good. If it's gonna be bad, well, then okay, but despite what some people think, we don't really know that yet.

When I came back to this forum a year ago or something, I was ASTONISHED by the Anti and Pro sections of the Atlantis forum, and not because I'm a Pro, I hated Atlantis most of Atlantis S4, but there is nothing like this Anti-Pro thing in the Hungarian forum.
      sigpic

Well, not anymore... Good bye Atlantis!

Comment

Originally posted by Vespasianus View Post
        I'm not crazy about the idea of another official split in the fan base before the actual series goes on air. Dividing everything like this may even hurt SGU's chances, even if it turns out to be good. If it's gonna be bad, well, then okay, but despite what some people think, we don't really know that yet.

When I came back to this forum a year ago or something, I was ASTONISHED by the Anti and Pro sections of the Atlantis forum, and not because I'm a Pro, I hated Atlantis most of Atlantis S4, but there is nothing like this Anti-Pro thing in the Hungarian forum.
        I think sga and sg-1 are very different shows, and they should be, if they were too similar it would have been pointless. A division amongst the fans was inevitable.

This time is different though. Despite their differences sga and sg-1 had many things in common too, they were cut from the same cloth. They are quite open about the fact that universe is aimed at different audiences, so when it launches we will have an even bigger split as some current fans will fall within the new target audience, and others won't. It will only get worse
        I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

This concept doesnt remind me of Voyager, aspects of it do, but it reminds me more of a 1990s television series called Space Cases which was created by Peter David ( author of the "Star Trek: New Frontier" novels) and Bill Mummy (Lost In Space, Babylon 5). Some fans of Space Cases also consider it the forerunner to Farscape only for an eight to thirteen year old demographic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XukV58Y18m8

...Coupled with the panic buttons of the "young demographic"...I would be very worried.

Comment

» Younger audience? Blegh. I'm going to go ahead and reserve a seat of this Anti couch. (Not that I have to - seniority.)

Comment

Originally posted by Repli!kat View Post
              If this thread gets deleted or merged, I'd understand....
              WE. DON'T. KNOW. THAT.

It's way way waaay to early for an anti thread. Give the damn show a break. A few years for new you guys will be making anti threads for "possible shows".
              My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                » Younger audience? Blegh. I'm going to go ahead and reserve a seat of this Anti couch. (Not that I have to - seniority.)
                Its times like this that I'm glad I don't follow seniority
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Why am I more than wary of that new show? I read the concept of those Lost in space stargaters and I thought :

- "oh boy, the crew will have to be VERY young, and VERY stupid, to not be able to manage to take control of the navigation system of the ship. We are talking about characters who are supposed to be the best of the best, in the Stargate world, and characters who have blown up suns, planets, asteroids, who have fought fake gods roaming the galaxy for milleniums and who have managed to kick the Wraith's asses, which was something that even the all powerful Ancients hadn't managed to achieve!"

Please!

Comment

I'm just hating because the "lost in space/increased character drama" angle could have been done with Atlantis, had the producers chosen to go the secession route. They had things perfectly set up for that to play out a couple of seasons ago. While I understand that they've got a shiny new toy they want to play with, I don't trust it because, well, it's the shiny new toy they want to play with. Nothing can possibly as awesome as they're hyping this up to be.
                    They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                    Spoiler:
                    Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                      The average age of Stargate's viewers is 47.

Comment

Originally posted by magie View Post
                        Why am I more than wary of that new show? I read the concept of those Lost in space stargaters and I thought :

- "oh boy, the crew will have to be VERY young, and VERY stupid, to not be able to manage to take control of the navigation system of the ship. We are talking about characters who are supposed to be the best of the best, in the Stargate world, and characters who have blown up suns, planets, asteroids, who have fought fake gods roaming the galaxy for milleniums and who have managed to kick the Wraith's asses, which was something that even the all powerful Ancients hadn't managed to achieve!"

Please!
                        These characters won't have done that stuff...

And, anyway, it depends on why they can't control the ship. There could be a damn good reason for it.

Comment

Working...
                        X