Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Atlantis canceled, "We told you so!" or freak coincidence?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Atlantis canceled, "We told you so!" or freak coincidence?

A lot of cynics said season 5 would be the show's last season and that the reason for it was because Sci-Fi wanted an even 100 episodes to tout around for syndication.

I'm not entirely convinced this is true, but I'm leaning towards it. So what do you guys think? Did they only keep the show going to get to the 100th episode?

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    A lot of cynics said season 5 would be the show's last season and that the reason for it was because Sci-Fi wanted an even 100 episodes to tout around for syndication.

I'm not entirely convinced this is true, but I'm leaning towards it. So what do you guys think? Did they only keep the show going to get to the 100th episode?
    SciFi chose to end the series because MGM wanted more money than they were able to put forth. The fault is of MGM, not SciFi Channel.
    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

From what i've heard scifi wanted to continue with Atlantis but MGM wanted to start their new baby and scifi wouldn't pay for both so MGM cancelled SGA so they could start SGU and scifi said OK.......

So basically SGA got dumped for SGU because they wanted to attract a "younger" anudience!!
      sigpic

Comment

[2. Trade] [Vulcanscientist] WTB [S.6 SGA box set]
        OHMAGAWID #$!#$@#$@# Its TOTALLY jewel stait's fault what happened with Firefly? It didn't last more than a season what happened when they brought her "shiny" (---) over to stargate? (hey its a pattern) the show was canceled WOOHOO! Even tho shes uber cute what if we took her out of the show? Theres some sort of "romance" going on with her and Rodney maybe McKay could drive her off Atlantis like his last girlfriend QQ......forget this Ima go check ma auctions
        Last edited by Vulcanscientist; 25 August 2008, 10:55 AM. Reason: incomplete

Comment

Definitely "We told you so!" The show has had no purpose, no direction, no aim and no meaning since Be All My Sins Remembered. If you ask me, SciFi and MGM were merciful with SGA.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
            Definitely "We told you so!" The show has had no purpose, no direction, no aim and no meaning since Be All My Sins Remembered. If you ask me, SciFi and MGM were merciful with SGA.
            I agree, but I would have cancelled SGA after season 2
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

Mgm has made a very bad decision......... Especially with the economy and the problems of the world going on now...what poor money management...did they go to school and share a math class with george w?
              The dollar is down.... Costs are up so... Why gamble? You have a proven with sga
              people want what is familiar...a steady friend... Stargate atlantis is just that.
              We all have problems and to see the characters solve their problems etc ...see that our friends make it through means a lot.
              There is so much that can be done with this show..the talent is there the sets are there a good crew is there the fan base is there...work with what they have...
              The city of stories---let the writers free to imagine ...they had some good story lines .. There is a treasure trove there .... There are other civilizations to be discovered just out side of atlantis....mgm should take the blinders off and see the diamonds .
              Last edited by SAMI; 25 August 2008, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                I agree, but I would have cancelled SGA after season 2
                Says the person with the Adria avatar.
                Save Stargate Atlantis!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ6iLrY_HkA

Comment

Originally posted by M337ING View Post
                  Says the person with the Adria avatar.
                  so? I love Adria
                  Stolen Kosovo
                  sigpic

Comment

Freaky coincidence. Sci Fi was gonna renew Atlantis, Bridge was fairly certain they were gonna be green lighted, ratings were up, Emmy nomination, People's Choice Awards, it had started to pick up a new crowd after dropping some with season 4 and the entire Carson/Weir/Keller/Sam fan fest ()... to many people, Atlantis was finally getting better again, after Seasons 3 and 4. Though some fans (such as yourselves) were of course miffed by the changes, they'd compensated by making new ones. Atlantis looked good for another year, at the very least. As has been said, it's pretty certain now Atlantis was axed by MGM to make way for Universe, with the hopes that Universe would carry Atlantis' momentum.

Let me just point out to MGM that Paramount felt the same way with Voyager... BUT THEY KEPT DS9 RUNNING JUST INCASE!!!

*leaves before he breaks out into another rant about Battlestargate: Voyagerverse*

If you're wondering how time travel works, and other science facts
                    Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a kickass show, I should really just relax'

Muh Arts-like Thingies

Comment

Money is more important than the actual entertainment.

WB proofs it with their Summer release of Harry Potter 6, instead of the Winter release as was planned.

MGM proofs it with chosing the new shiny toy over SGA, which will continue with (a) film(s) which eats less money from their big pocket.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                        Since SciFi doesn't own the show, they don't have anything to do with its syndication. That's MGM's affair. SciFi might buy syndicated Atlantis, but they can't sell it. It belongs to MGM.

Comment

I can’t say I’m sorry Atlantis got cancelled.

I got a feeling all the changes made to Atlantis the last few years was done on purpose to make way for Universe. They knew we would react to the changes, it was the quickest way to get the show cancelled. I think that’s the sad truth. Why change what didn’t need to be changed? It was the quickest route out for them. They knew Elizabeth and Carson would cause a large reaction to viewers, getting rid of John would be pushing it.

To be honest if they got writers like that, I’m not going bother watching Universe cos it would just happen again. I'd rather have a show that's written for fans, not for them.

Besides if they really wanted Atlantis to continue like SG did for 10 years, they wouldn't have mucked it up in the first place.

Sorry but that's what I feel.
                          BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Comment

Definite we told you do. Not just about character changes either, I would call the Jump the Shark moment as the "Return"

Besides making the Ancients look completely incompetent, they also got rid of the Athosians because the writers didn't know what to do with them. Teyla probably should have been the character to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SgaIsBad View Post
                              Teyla probably should have been the character to go.
                              In that case, I would have been able to leave this show soooooo much sooner. But alas, they kept her around as pretty wallflower and I hoped to catch a glimpse of my second favorite lady every so often. It is/was tiresome.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                              X