PDA

View Full Version : The I'm still ticked off at TPTB for SGA but will still give SGU a chance thread.

Briangate78
August 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM
The I'm still ticked off at TPTB for SGA but will still give SGU a chance thread.

So if you are still upset about SGA but are still willing to give SGU the benefit of the doubt, post here.

Hopefully my title is creative enough for you. ;)

SGU is going to have to blow us away. They are going to have to raise the bar and really produce an amazing show if they want to keep the loyal fans interested. It's funny about loyal fans. The loyal fans get older have kids and get their kids into the show. It is sort of like a music group say Bon Jovi or U2. I was at a Bon Jovi concert a month or so ago and the age difference was from like 12 to 50 yo. The parents get their kids into the show and the younger audience becomes into the music and goes out and buys the CDs. So I don't understand why TPTB want to take such a gutsy risk and cancel a very well established show which still pulls in good ratings and has a loyal fan base.

I don't want to be the one to say "I told you so" to TPTB, but I also would not mind to see SGU succeed. We need something to kick the crap out of Ghost Plumbers.

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah... good thread.

I mean, I'm ticked off with them for different reasons to most, I imagine. It's nothing to do with SGA, just the direction they're taking this series. I'd be more interested if it was some kind of unrelated show made by the creators. As it stands they'll have to do a LOT not to ruin the Stargate Franchise for me. Even IF it is a good show. It needs to be that AND stay true to Stargate's identity.

Frontastic
August 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I'm very much willing to give it a chance. I'll watch the whole first and see if its still worth watching. I'll give it a fairer chance than I gave Infinity, I caught an episode yesterday but turned off at the theme song! :D

Major_Griff
August 25th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I don't know... I've already moved on I think. I was mad. I still would rather there be an S6 of SGA than have SGU start now. But I can't change what has happened. The PTB have made up there mind so, I'm just gonna hope BW and RCC know what they are doing (I have no reason to assume they don't, SG-1 and SGA are my favorite shows) and watch SGU and hope that I like it.

ciannwn
August 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I'll give it a try. I'm annoyed about SGA being cancelled but there will still be the movies to look forward to.

I'm not exactly thrilled with how SGU has been presented so far, though. What do they mean by 'younger audience' and a cast which will give it a 'younger vibe'?

Then there's the bit about -

Howe also wants Stargate Universe to help fill the "space opera" gap left when network jewel Battlestar Galactica goes off the air next spring.

How are they defining the term space opera here? Do they think space opera is all about intense, angsty relationships on a space ship rather than epic adventure and exciting space battles? BSG is a space opera when it comes to the epic adventure and space battles. If it didn't have those it would just be a soap opera. Are they forgetting that three of the leading BSG characters (Commander Adama, Tigh and Roslin) aren't bright young things in their early 20's?

SGU isn't likely to please a lot of BSG fans if it's all about a 'younger vibe' group of characters having toned down BSG type of relationships and the scenario doesn't include epic adventure and space battles. It isn't likely to please a lot of Stargate fans either if it's cutting down on the tech side and the scenario doesn't include epic adventure and space battles.

Hopefully the show will turn out to be a lot better than the first attempts to persuade Stargate fans to watch it. Going by the reactions in these forums the initial marketing approach has had the opposite effect where most of the posters are concerned.

unluckynumber11
August 25th, 2008, 10:25 AM
yea i will hold sgu with a grain of salt and hope to be pleasently surprised

jelgate
August 25th, 2008, 12:01 PM
All I can say is where is the anti SGU thread?

Anubis Lives
August 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I am more than willing to give it a chance. But it has to be good. I mean good enough to make up for canceling SGA.

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Make one if you like. But at this stage, I personally feel its naive to be convinced it's going to be god's gift, and extremely cynical to dimiss it as rubbish. You can be optimistic or pessimistic (as i am) about it, but if you ask me, we don't have enough for an actual pro or anti thread.

Krissie678
August 25th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I will give SGU a chance. I can't wait to see what TPTB come up with.

jelgate
August 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Make one if you like. But at this stage, I personally feel its naive to be convinced it's going to be god's gift, and extremely cynical to dimiss it as rubbish. You can be optimistic or pessimistic (as i am) about it, but if you ask me, we don't have enough for an actual pro or anti thread.

It was meant to show that I'm angry at TPTB for canceling SGA but will watch SGU. My personal belief is you shouldn't critize a show if you have never seen it

Briangate78
August 25th, 2008, 01:16 PM

At this point people are still upset about SGA. If SGU does not live up to what the producers are saying it will likely be a major blow to the franchise. The fans will cry "They cancelled SGA for this crap"?

Funny how SGA is on SCI FI now while I type this. They are really making a gutsy move thinking all the SGA viewers will move onto SGU.

Briangate78
August 25th, 2008, 01:17 PM
It was meant to show that I'm angry at TPTB for canceling SGA but will watch SGU. My personal belief is you shouldn't critize a show if you have never seen it

That is how I feel. I don't need a silver lining from the producers, like "All good things" Yeah, how is it all good things? :confused: I will still however give SGU a shot.

Jumper_One
August 25th, 2008, 01:27 PM
yeah I pretty much agree with the OP. I'll definitely check it out but it sucks that they cancelled Atlantis

VSS
August 25th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Nah. If I'm channel surfing and happen to catch it, fine. After all, that's how I found SG-1.

TV bores me, in general. It'd have to be one helluva show for me to actually remember the day and time it airs.

The_Carpenter
August 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM
As much as it sucks that SGA was cancleed to make way for SGU, it is certainly an intriguing concept and am looking forward to it.... I am just concerned about what they mean about appealing to a younger audience...

The treatment SGA fans have got from people like Howe has been nothing short of disgraceful though.

Briangate78
August 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM
As much as it sucks that SGA was cancleed to make way for SGU, it is certainly an intriguing concept and am looking forward to it.... I am just concerned about what they mean about appealing to a younger audience...

The treatment SGA fans have got from people like Howe has been nothing short of disgraceful though.

Yeah Howe really pissed me off with his statement of loyal fans.

ykickamoocow
August 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Im still annoyed that they cancelled a proven show like SGA in order to make another stargate fanchise. I dont know why they didnt just keep SGA going as the the season 5 ratings have been better than the season 4 ratings so its clear that people are still watching.

I will give SGU a chance however though i am still hoping that David Hewlett will become a regular cast member on SGU as Rodney McKay is my favourite character.

PG15
August 26th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I'm still ticked off at TPTB for SGA but will still give SGU a chance.

akren
August 26th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Amen to everything in this thread. :d

Drizzt Do'Urden
August 27th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I'm gonna give it a chance I'll be honest when i first heard the title of SG1's spin off was going to be Stargate Atlantis I was like OH GOD NO!!! THis is gonna suck so bad. But i gave it a chance and i was pleasently surprised!

Briangate78
August 27th, 2008, 05:50 PM
It really is going to sting more if SGU is a bomb. I kinda hope it's not so at least the SGA fans will be like "Well this series is good, so at least I still have good stargate to still watch".

They have a lot of prove. This series needs to be the best they have done in 15 seasons to keep my interest.

Briangate78
August 28th, 2008, 09:55 AM
What if SGU is excellent but then get cancelled by SCI FI because of lack of ratings. You know DVR is going to impact this show just like SGA. If all of SGA's DVR numbers counted we would be going into a 6th season easily.

Arica15
August 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM
What if SGU is excellent but then get cancelled by SCI FI because of lack of ratings. You know DVR is going to impact this show just like SGA. If all of SGA's DVR numbers counted we would be going into a 6th season easily.

I have no problem with SGU because of SGA's cancellation - I have a problem with it because it sounds complete crap! Like someone has decided to crossbreed Star Trek Voyager with Battle Star Galactica. I mean there is nothing new here, Atlantis at least was something of a fresh concept.

I won't not watch it because it's got the Stargate tag on it - but similarly I won't watch it because it's got the Stargate tag.

Anubis Lives
August 30th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I'm gonna give it a chance I'll be honest when i first heard the title of SG1's spin off was going to be Stargate Atlantis I was like OH GOD NO!!! THis is gonna suck so bad. But i gave it a chance and i was pleasently surprised!

My friend felt the same way about Atlantis at first and is now more pissed than I am about SGA being canned.

Alteran of Atlantis
August 30th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I'm willing to give Universe a chance, but if it's all teenage drama and crap I'm not going to watch it. The concept sounds interesting enough, but I hope the show is not just all about relationships. I'm going to miss Atlantis very much. :(

Agent_Dark
August 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM
not sure why everyone is so upset about Atlantis being cancelled. It was always going to end... In fact it lasted longer than SG1 or Farscape did on SciFi. Everything ends, and 5 seasons is a pretty good effort.

Ltcolshepjumper
August 30th, 2008, 07:34 PM
It didn't HAVE to end. I think the real reason they cancelled SGA was because the writers felt they didn't have enough unique, creative ideas to do a sixth season. But honestly, SGA was canned for SGU. And if SGU sucks, then it will be for nothing. SGU has to be better than the 10 seasons of SG-1 and the 5 seasons of SGA combined in order to succeed. Because it is starting out on its own. And SG-1 came along when Star Trek was finishing up. A good bit of people still watched scifi. Now, look at what Scifi has to show for itself. So, SGU really has to surpass SG-1, and SGA. In fact, it has to surpass BSG and Eureka as well. If it doesn't, then the Stargate Franchise is done.

Buck32
August 31st, 2008, 03:23 PM
Even though i think TPTB are making a huge mistake, cancelling SGA and giving us SGU, i will still watch it, largely because i'm a Sci Fi fan, but if it doesn't grab me i don't think i'd persist like i did with Stargate Atlantis, because i always was optimistic with SGA's potential to tell good stories, which i don't think SGU will have, not with BW and co at the helm.

GatorProduct4
September 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM
ok, this is how I think it should have been handeled for next season on SciFi 2009:

If they where already planning on letting SGA go they should have concluded it strongly with a sixth season...meanwhile moving it to a better new time slot, say on a Tuesday night? grouping it with Sancuary or Eureka, SGU, and SGA together that way the shows could help eachother out by possibly sharing their ratings. I actually ended up liking new shows because they followed one of my favorites so I ended up liking them also:)

I will be giving SGU a chance just as I gave SGA a chance after SG-1 ended just to be fair. Hopefully it will be a new direction for the franchise but stay true to what makes Stargate so unique.

:jack_new_anime04::sam43::danielanime07::tealcanime44::cameronanime10::jonas18::

:sheppardanime23::weiranime34:::mckayanime09::teylaanime08::ronananime01::

:vortex04::thoranime09:

Briangate78
September 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Problem is, the SGA cancellation came on the decision with MGM more rather than SCI FI. Brad Wright had said it himself, that running two shows back to back is very exhausting. MGM also wanted to get another SG-1 DVD movie out next year. So there ya go.

Seriously though, if anyone still thinks SGA's cancellation was ratings related you need to re-read all the press releases and interviews with the producers. Atlantis could be beating the top show of the network and they would still be cancelled.

Lauriel
September 28th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Problem is, the SGA cancellation came on the decision with MGM more rather than SCI FI. Brad Wright had said it himself, that running two shows back to back is very exhausting. MGM also wanted to get another SG-1 DVD movie out next year. So there ya go.

Seriously though, if anyone still thinks SGA's cancellation was ratings related you need to re-read all the press releases and interviews with the producers. Atlantis could be beating the top show of the network and they would still be cancelled.

I think you've just put your finger on the main reason many feel betrayed. SCIFI cancelled SG-1, and MGM responded with the movies in an effort to keep it alive. However with SGA, MGM cancelled it, and have offered us the movie as a consolation prize, while in almost the same breath saying thanks for your support, money and viewership for 12 years, but now we'd like to focus on a new audience, because you are either too old to count or will follow us, lemminglike, because we are the Stargate franchise.

Some of us have raised concerns in the past over SCIFI's seeming disconnectedness with modern audiences. I've become accostomed to the fact that if ratings drop below a certain amount, SCIFI will can the show whether I still think it has merit or not. I can accept that. The slap in the face has been that the ratings have been good, and improving, and MGM have pulled the plug regardless.

Korumera
September 29th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Well your thread title probably says it all for me. I'm still a bit ticked off because of the cancel announcement (but still glad there going for a movie format tho, I rather have that then nothing). But they have to make SGU very spectacular with a very nice story line to keep me/us interested. But we'lll probably just have to wait and see. Nothing much we can do about it.

September 29th, 2008, 12:47 AM
this is my kind of thread people!! i've been finding the whole "they cancelled SGA!! let's boycott SGU" mentality very immature, they don't seem to realise, that it will be revenue from SGU that will pay for SGA movies etc!!

GateofDOOM
September 30th, 2008, 07:34 PM
It still seems like an odd business decision to me (but I guess that's why I'm not in business eh?)

Now I'm no fan of Atlantis but canceling Atlantis for an untested show at the same time that they're losing BSG and getting yet another untested show in it's place?

Seems odd to me. (not to mention that Caprica is going to be totally different from BSG as far as I can tell, so there's no guarantee there will be carry over there either).

All I can say is that BW must have really sold SGU to MGM and SciFi for them to cancel Atlantis for it, so it's gotta be at least half-way decent. (Right?) I might check it out if I've got the time and inclination, see if they actually do something different with this show or not.

And I will now leave lest I stray further off the topic. :o