This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Fans Theory

This is my working theory on how SGU got the green light. Keep in mind, this is just my personal theory and I have no actual facts to back up my theory.

The Stargate franchise is over ten years old. It started on television in 1997 and at the time, any young viewers it attracted are no longer young viewers. They are now grown up. We know that Sci-Fi wants to migrate towards more original programming that is going to attract younger viewers, and well, SG1 and Atlantis aren't doing that. Both of those shows are still attracting the same viewers that liked the Stargate movie, or that liked SG1 when it started over a decade ago. We already know, based on what has been said, that Sci-Fi is pushing for SGU to target a much younger audience.

We also know that SGU isn't a new idea, that they've been working on it for a couple years now. We also know what kind of strain working on two shows was for the production crew and some of the writers when SG1 and Atlantis ran concurrently. There was no way that they could have taken on SGU while SG1 and SGA were both on the air. Being that Sci-Fi wants a younger audience, which can be evidenced by shows like Eureka, it stands to reason, at least for me, that Sci-Fi could have possibly opted not to pick up SG1 for an 11th season to sort of push SGU into the mix and force their hand. However, it seems like it didn't accomplish what they had hoped, considering the show runners opted for direct to DVD movies as a replacement for SG1 rather than to try to get SGU picked up right away. This gave them more time to focus on SGA considering the strain they had been under producing two shows. This worked out well for the show runners and production company involved in the shows. After the release of the two SG1 movies, it appeared as if more movies were possibly on the way which meant that there would be no SGU as long as they would still be doing direct to dvd movies and SGA. Since Sci-Fi has no control over the movies, they decided to try to nudge them into SGU in sort of the same way they had already tried. Instead of just outright canceling SGA, they worked with the show runners before they canceled SGA to make sure if SGA was canceled that SGU would be a go, and it worked.

It seems like to me, that both SG1 and SGA were canceled so Sci-Fi could get a Stargate franchise show that was tailored to a younger audience that they wanted. Sci-Fi got impatient waiting around for SGU and canceled two shows to get what they've wanted for 2 years now, which is SGU.

That's quite an interesting notion. Not sure the folks at Scifi are the kind of forward thinkers that are capable of machiavellian thought, but it is very interesting. I don't really get your reference to Eureka though. I don't find that there is anything about it that would skew it to any particular demographic. Why do you say that?

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
      That's quite an interesting notion. Not sure the folks at Scifi are the kind of forward thinkers that are capable of machiavellian thought, but it is very interesting. I don't really get your reference to Eureka though. I don't find that there is anything about it that would skew it to any particular demographic. Why do you say that?
      Eureka is just a very light hearted show, that seems like something that would appeal to a younger audience. I watched the first season and a half and it just feels like a lighter show for a younger audience. It deals with high school problems for a young teenage girl amongst other things.

I just don't think the ratings were bad enough to warrant Sci Fi canceling either SG1 or SGA. From their persepective, that's what they look at and both were still doing well live considering the advent of the DVR. If they truly did want a Stargate show tailored to a younger audience bad enough, they would need to either wait around until either MGM canceled the show, or the ratings were so bad they had to, or get rid of what they needed to get rid of to get SGU off the ground and into the air.

Comment

MGM wanted to cancell the shows with good ratings, or it would look like they killed em because they were unsuccessfull

Comment

Eureka is just a very light hearted show, that seems like something that would appeal to a younger audience. I watched the first season and a half and it just feels like a lighter show for a younger audience. It deals with high school problems for a young teenage girl amongst other things
          It would appeal, but it's not specifically engineered to a youth market.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            MGM wanted to cancell the shows with good ratings, or it would look like they killed em because they were unsuccessfull
            ironic isn't it, they cancel a show at the tip of its hype, and they now can get more money through dvd sales,
            Also: Watch out Stargate: Universe! if you become popular and well liked, and the producers have another idea, you'll probably get cancled too!

KEEP IT CLEAN
            Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
            Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Working...
            X