This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how will the stargate be used?

so we know stargate universe is set on a ship called destiny,but what i was wondering is how they will use the stargate its self. will they use it to go down to the planet when the destiny Arrives in orbit?

Originally posted by lwf View Post
    so we know stargate universe is set on a ship called destiny,but what i was wondering is how they will use the stargate its self. will they use it to go down to the planet when the destiny Arrives in orbit?
    My understanding is that they wll use it to explore worlds that have been seeded by the preceding ship. How that ties in with the leaving people behind comment though I don't know
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

They'l use the stargate what it was designed for……… rapid travel between two distant locations

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post
        They'l use the stargate what it was designed for……… rapid travel between two distant locations
        but if thats true then how does this fit in with that?

"Earth discovers that the Stargate's mysterious ninth chevron can be utilized to gate directly to the Ancient ship, opening up literally the whole universe to explore. But the team will soon discover that they have no way back to Earth, and must ride the ship on its programmed course."

Comment

maybe will go to the Stargate on the planet by use the unique Stargate on the Destiny

Comment

I'm sure they'll explain everything, but from what we know so far, if they are gating from a ship and it moves, they'll have a completely new gate address when the Destiny reaches its next destination. Unless the Destiny can spit out the new gate coordinates in advance, if you don't gate back to the ship before it leaves, you won't know the new gate address of the gate on the ship, leaving you stranded on that planet.

Comment

^^ Yeah that's pretty much it from what I understand.

They are basically on a ship which they can't steer, which every now and then passes a planet where there's a Stargate. So they use the gate on the ship to go down to these planets (Probably to get supplies and stuff, I can't imagine a million year old unmanned ancient vessel will have much food on it), but they have a time limit because once the Destiny gets too far away, the coordinates for the gate on board change so they can't get back to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
                I'm sure they'll explain everything, but from what we know so far, if they are gating from a ship and it moves, they'll have a completely new gate address when the Destiny reaches its next destination. Unless the Destiny can spit out the new gate coordinates in advance, if you don't gate back to the ship before it leaves, you won't know the new gate address of the gate on the ship, leaving you stranded on that planet.
                Unless any crew members left onboard dial in to give them the new coordinates
                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                  My understanding is that they wll use it to explore worlds that have been seeded by the preceding ship. How that ties in with the leaving people behind comment though I don't know
                  Going by this the Destiny is the ship which is doing the seeding.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/0...has_a_go.shtml

Stargate Universe is set on board a massive Ancient ship called the Destiny, millions of years older than even the city of Atlantis (story). The Ancients launched the automated ship millions of years ago to seed Stargates throughout many galaxies, with a second ship planned to follow it up and explore those planets. But they got busy with ascension, and never followed through on the plan.

If this is the case, why would an automated ship have life support or any kind of living space for people? Possible explanation - the Ancients wanted to send the occasional maintenance crew to make sure everything was running correctly. This is the reason why the 9th chevron takes people to the ship. So why can't they get back? Maybe the maintenance crews took a portable DHD just in case there were nasty aliens in other galaxies who might figure out how to use an onboard gate.

I'm wondering what the ship's power source is if it's been flying across the universe seeding stargates for millions of years. ZPMs don't last that long and there haven't been any Ancients around lately to replace depleted ones. Is there an automated gate factory on board? If so, where do the raw materials to make the gates come from?

PS:

Originally posted by jrd231
                  If the Destiny really is the ship which is doing the seeding the Ancients somehow arranged for people to be able to board it via the 9th chevron in spite of it being continually on the move and getting new addresses.
                  Last edited by ciannwn; 25 August 2008, 06:37 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I was under the impression that the gate address for the Destiny was some generic address and the 9th chevron was a universal key that allowed for direct connect to the ship regardless of what the original 6 reference points are. Perhaps there is a command crystal that is required to activate the 9th key much like the 8th chevron.

I would think that the Destiny has extra crystals on board that allow the Ancients to gate back to Atlantis.

I am sure it will be explained, but I imagine the "cannot get back" will have more to do with the gate dialing to the ship not having enough power to actually dial out rather than our people not having the ability to gate out. Our teams would need a ZPM level power device to activate the gate if the Destiny jumped to the next planet.

Perhaps this series will finally explain the creation of ZPMs, it would be a perfect time to do so, give humans a ZPM making machine on the destiny but have no way of getting them back to Earth, the control crystals on board the destiny are used only to dial the Destiny, not the return trip crystals needed to get back to Atlantis. It would be perfect! (except for the stranded in the delta quadrant)

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                      If the Destiny really is the ship which is doing the seeding the Ancients somehow arranged for people to be able to board it via the 9th chevron in spite of it being continually on the move and getting new addresses.
                      Absolutely. It's going to need some explaining. From what we know, the Ancients sent the ship but never followed up. You have to chart the stars first in order to plant Stargates. You need this chart of stars to assign gate address to planets and program the DHD. If the Ancients never followed up how would we would we know the gate address of the ship? Did it send back info to an Ancient Database via subspace at some point with charted stars and gate addresses? Is the Destiny supposed to be in a pre-determined location at a pre-determined time with a known gate address for a crew to gate to?

We don't know, but we will find out.

Comment

Originally posted by mizzoueng View Post
                        but I imagine the "cannot get back" will have more to do with the gate dialing to the ship not having enough power to actually dial out rather than our people not having the ability to gate out. Our teams would need a ZPM level power device to activate the gate if the Destiny jumped to the next planet.
                        The whole point of a Stargate is that it takes people from a planet in one solar system to a planet in another solar system. Why would the Destiny seed Stargates which didn't have enough power to dial another solar system? Stargates aren't powered by ZPMs. If they were the Atlantis expedition could have acquired some which hadn't been completely drained by going to places where the Stargates hadn't been used for millenia. Not at first, of course, because Puddle Jumpers aren't equipped with hyperdrives but once the Daedalus turned up they'd have been able to do the grand ZPM collecting tour.

I could understand an ordinary Stargate not having enough power to dial the Destiny if it had moved on to a new galaxy but how often is it going to do that? Surely it will be seeding galaxies with a number of Stargates because one per galaxy wouldn't be much use.

Originally posted by mizzoueng View Post
                        Perhaps this series will finally explain the creation of ZPMs, it would be a perfect time to do so, give humans a ZPM making machine on the destiny
                        I suppose the ship could have an automated ZPM making machine but it would also need an automated way of exchanging a depleted ZPM for a new one. After all, it's been flying across the universe for millions of years without a crew or Ancients turning up every so often to replace the power source.
                        sigpic

Comment

eehm, it could use a subspace tab, or a naquahdah/NIG/fusion/coldfusion reactor, all reactors wich use fuel present everywhere. i'd like to see the more common ancient powersources

Comment

I wonder if this is a possible clue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_(device)

The show has never featured a nine-symbol address, so the purpose of the ninth chevron is unknown. However, Robert C. Cooper has stated that the purpose of the ninth chevron will be revealed in the upcoming series, Stargate Universe.[27] One of the purposes proposed for the new series is that the ninth chevron connects it with an Ancient ship that seeds stargates throughout the galaxy, and was abandoned after the ancients ascended. It is unknown if this will be the final idea.[28] The extra chevrons are so rarely used that stargates are often seen with those two chevrons embedded within the stone platforms that hold many of the gates upright (see the image at the top of this article).

So there you are. All the Stargates seeded by the Destiny will have the essential 9th chevron embedded in the stone platforms. Unless the left behind crew member happens to have a pickaxe he/she will never be able to free it so it can move.

PS: Another daft suggestion. The Destiny no longer has any Stargates to seed because -

a: They weren't manufactured on board but sent from a 'Stargate Factory' on some distant planet which has long been abandoned. The factory Stargate plus the one on the Destiny are bigger than the usual Stargates otherwise a normal sized Stargate would never get through.

or

b: They used to be manufactured on board but, after millions of years, this part of the ship is no longer operational.

In both cases the Destiny continues on it's programmed mission to find a planet, stop there long enough to plant a Stargate and then move on. If somebody gets left behind they don't have a Stargate available to dial the Ship.
                            Last edited by ciannwn; 25 August 2008, 07:47 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think the Destiny is the following ship, not the seeding ship
                              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Working...
                              X