This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why SGU will NOT be like BSG!

Here it is. There's no loss. Think about it, in sg-1 or sga, humanity, or earth as a whole, never got hit or attacked in any meaningful way, and almost everyone comes back all happy and smiles. There's no big loss, no massive tragedy to change the scope of the story. That's why it won't be dark, because I doubt there will be a tragedy big enough to change the scope from what atlantis is.

BSG started with a huge tragedy. They were nearly wiped out, that makes things pretty dark, set the tone for the whole series.

Wright, Cooper, and company would never go that direction. So those of you worrying about it getting dark, I don't think it'll happen. Look at Voyager, it was a similar deal, a crew that can't get home, well, the show wasn't really that dark, it was more optomistic.

That, and it won't be StarTrek: Voyager.

Comment

I don't think SGU should be like BSG. However, I do think that it shouldn't insult the viewers by having reset-button scenarios which destroy the point of most episodes, or having an episode that traumatises a character and yet has he/she completely normal again come next ep, which is pretty much the same thing.

I hated Voyager, simply because it didn't live up to its expectations and had this aliens-of-the-week scenario, taken straight from TNG, which I found boring and repetitive. Admittedly, SG-1 did the same thing but at least SG-1 had a direction. Just by watching that first 8 seasons, it felt like the writers knew where they wanted to take the show from the offset. Watching SGA however...That show just felt like one big mess with no direction, no aim, just a place where tptb could 'tell stories'.

Telling stories is all good, if those stories are actually going somewhere...By somewhere, I mean that hopefully the characters will learn and gain more experience from their adventures. SGA did feel to me as if they were using rejecting script drafts from early SG-1 episodes. Occasionally you get a nice original idea in there (Michael's first appearence in season two is a fine example), but then I think they realise that the fans want more and so try and get the same character in there as much as possible and give him/her any scheme, just so long as they appear in an episode or two (That's right. I hated where tptb took Michael's character).

Anyway back on topic, BSG is a dark, brutal and realistic (to a certain extent, character development wise) vision of scifi, which I see as bringing something new to the scifi table. This has proved popular with some, and not so popular with others. The typical and almost traditional scifi show featured space ships, aliens, space battles, space guns, new worlds with new life, etc, and so BSG stepped away from this part of the genre, stepping into new territory.

Does SGU have to be like BSG? Not at all. It doesn't have to be dark, brutal and realistic (although I'm sure I'd prefer it that way), but it does need to have a plan, a direction, an aim set by its creators from the offset. Whether they're aiming it for a younger or more mature audience, it (like BSG) needs to bring something new to the scifi table. I'm not saying it should be BSG, but it does need to be original. SGA had some nice ideas, but each was reset by the episodes, or the next episodes end, to my great annoyance.

Tptb need to make a plan for their characters so that each one has something to do in each episode and learn from their mistakes with Teyla and Ronon (two of SGA's more useless characters), and step away from the cliche's they've seen everywhere else and bring SGU into new territory, make it different by perhaps stepping away from the stargate formula as set by them in SG-1 and SGA. Some die-hard gateheads won't be happy with it, but that always happens when a spin-off show comes into creation.

I think that by taking more risks with the characters (This does not mean writing off the characters as a result of not making a plan or aim for them, as seen with Ford, Weir and Beckett), and taking more risks with the episode concepts (make us believe that maybe our heroes won't make it out of this adventure completely intact...And I don't mean having McKay shot in one scene and then completely okay again in the next. I mean have serious trauma shown by our characters, make us care more about them and grow more attached and concerned when they're about to step through the gate).

So, in simple terms. Things I want to see in SGU;

- Our heroes cut off from Earth (Not getting back after one or two seasons like in SGA).
      - No ancient super weapons. If you're going to have a super weapon, fine, just don't have the ancients build it. I know, the ancients could do anything in their prime, but we've been there, done that and killed the bad guys again and again with it.
      - No reset buttons. If someone gets shot, tortured or oxygen starved - let us see the consequences of that. The good guys, for the most part, are human and so they'll suffer like humans.
      - Imagination. Easy. If you can't think of anything, hire more writers. I know it means spending some more of the budget you want to keep to yourself, but it means that we'll get more viewing pleasure and admire the original ideas coming from your television show. Some people are blessed with an adventurous imagination, some aren't. The easiest way to spot who's who in the writing room is by seeing who can come up with the most original idea for an episode. Something which hasn't been seen before in either SG-1 or SGA.
      - If you've got a stargate that can take you to anywhere in the universe, don't follow the idea of Deadalus Variations and having every bit of space (or in that episode particularly, having them appear in the same area of space in the different universe) thus not having much reason to spend any more of the series budget since you can just use the same CGI sequences again and again (which get immensely boring).
      - No more Canadian worlds. I have nothing against Canada. In fact, I love that country. Unfortunately, tptb seem to think that having every world (or almost every world) set in Canada is a good thing. I know it's studios are in Vancouver, but use the studio's, damn it, the their CGI team. Have the SG team acting on a green scene for an episode or two and have the planet feel a lot more ALIEN.

I doubt that I'll be too impressed for SGU, my hopes for it aren't high. I'll watch the premier and see what I think, but even that might not be enough. They might shove everything into the first two episodes and then be drained of imagination for the rest of the series. I mean c'mon, if SGA really was just made from the rejected scripts of SG-1 in the first place...then now they have more material to work from. Now they have rejected scripts from SG-1, as well as the unfinished scripts for SGA season six to fit in, which is why my hopes aren't high at all.

I'm hanging in there for SGU because I was a huge fan of SG-1 (which I felt should have ended with season 8). SGA destroyed my faith in tptb almost completely, but now they have another chance with SGU. We'll see what happens.
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

It will be more like BSG than SG1 and SGA, the producers, etc. have actually admitted that.
        SGU is space opera, which is what BSG is. So the will be similar. They want 1 program to satisfy BSG AND SG fans.

Comment

I wish the graphics that are going to be in SGU were like BSG.

The visual effects in BSG are outstanding.

Comment

make it different by perhaps stepping away from the stargate formula as set by them in SG-1 and SGA. Some die-hard gateheads won't be happy with it, but that always happens when a spin-off show comes into creation.
            By 'die-hard gate head', I belive you mean the majority of the fans.
            I'm hanging in there for SGU because I was a huge fan of SG-1
            Really? Because it sure sounds like you want a completely different type of show. I'm sure those are some great ideas - for a show that doesn't have 'Stargate' in the title. The humor, the 'not taking itself too seriously', is integral to Stargate. That, plus the emphasis on mythology is what sets it apart. In my view, any problems with Atlantis were the result of watering down that concept, as well as the 'team' aspect of the show. You get into long term trauma and the like, and you move worlds away from Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by SelmakWarrior View Post
              It will be more like BSG than SG1 and SGA, the producers, etc. have actually admitted that.
              SGU is space opera, which is what BSG is. So the will be similar. They want 1 program to satisfy BSG AND SG fans.
              Have they?
              Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
              I wish the graphics that are going to be in SGU were like BSG.

The visual effects in BSG are outstanding.
              Indeed they are.
              Originally posted by amconway View Post
              By 'die-hard gate head', I belive you mean the majority of the fans.
              Perhaps.

Originally posted by amconway View Post
              Really? Because it sure sounds like you want a completely different type of show. I'm sure those are some great ideas - for a show that doesn't have 'Stargate' in the title. The humor, the 'not taking itself too seriously', is integral to Stargate. That, plus the emphasis on mythology is what sets it apart. In my view, any problems with Atlantis were the result of watering down that concept, as well as the 'team' aspect of the show. You get into long term trauma and the like, and you move worlds away from Stargate.
              I do want a completely different type of show. I loved SG-1 because it felt new and exciting. I don't want them to copy SG-1 as they did with SGA, it didn't work for me. They knew that SG-1 was a success and so tried to do the exact same thing with SGA, but it wasn't the same at all. They need to try something new, which they are with the ship setting instead of a planet setting (SG-1 had Earth, Atlantis had its water planets, etc...). I'm worried that they'll just ignore the fact that they have a space ship and go back to the typical stargate formula of going through the gate, saving a planet and coming back, and then forgetting about it and starting again on another planet.

Maybe they can use the stargate for more than just going to other worlds...Maybe the ninth chevron unlocks a load of new features? Who knows...?
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

I reaaly like the idea of SGU I think it should be a great show, but it shouln't take over atlantis, I would be happy with 1 more season just to finish off most of the story arcs, but leave a few open fo movies. then have SGU. The reason they want SGU now is to fill in for BSG. but they cant do 2 SG shows at once, so SGA had to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SelmakWarrior View Post
                  I reaaly like the idea of SGU I think it should be a great show, but it shouln't take over atlantis, I would be happy with 1 more season just to finish off most of the story arcs, but leave a few open fo movies. then have SGU. The reason they want SGU now is to fill in for BSG. but they cant do 2 SG shows at once, so SGA had to go.
                  They had SG-1 and SGA at once for about two years.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FurlingElder0 View Post
                    That, and it won't be StarTrek: Voyager.
                    I wouldn't mind that. I loved Star Trek Voyager. But I don't think it will be like Voyager. Remember this isn't played out in the future and has nothing to do with the Star Trek universe.

I think it's wrong to compare the two shows. Everyone should wait with their opinions until they actually have seen the pilot episode of SGU. Who knows, this could end up as another great SG show.

I am sad to let SGA go..I really loved that crew (McKay, Sheppard, Carter, Woolsey, Keller..). Hopefully I will see more of them in the future..
                    "History will never be the same again..."
                    "Indeed!"
                    "No kidding..!"
                    "If you say so..!"
                    "Here we go again..!"
                    "Never say never..!"

Comment

Stargate is fun an adventure. BSG is about a tragedy and a bunch of seriously flawed human beings. They need to keep the fun an adventure, with out having all the people being extremely messed up. SG is about heroics and over coming the odds and having a good time while doing it. I don't think it needs messy love triangles, delusional people, drug addicts, war crimes, torture, rape themes ect. A bit more serious tone, with drama, and tension.. sure.. but not the messed up anti-hero stuff. Doesn't belong in SG, at least not with the main characters.

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                        - Imagination. Easy. If you can't think of anything, hire more writers. I know it means spending some more of the budget you want to keep to yourself, but it means that we'll get more viewing pleasure and admire the original ideas coming from your television show. Some people are blessed with an adventurous imagination, some aren't. The easiest way to spot who's who in the writing room is by seeing who can come up with the most original idea for an episode. Something which hasn't been seen before in either SG-1 or SGA.
                        Why not have some kind of Star Wars organization.
                        - Malozzi and the other original writers are the "Chief-Writers" who are in charge of the general story and make sure that any other writer comply with SG-verse/science/history
                        - other occasionnal writers that can submit minor arcs here and there. IMHO, having some BSG writers would be cool. In fact you don't even need to always take a regular sci-fi writer. Having some diversity may help.

NOTE : it would be cool if there was at least 1 fanfic adapted each season. I would have more reasons to read Gateworld section.
                        La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                        L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
                          Why not have some kind of Star Wars organization.
                          - Malozzi and the other original writers are the "Chief-Writers" who are in charge of the general story and make sure that any other writer comply with SG-verse/science/history
                          - other occasionnal writers that can submit minor arcs here and there. IMHO, having some BSG writers would be cool. In fact you don't even need to always take a regular sci-fi writer. Having some diversity may help.

NOTE : it would be cool if there was at least 1 fanfic adapted each season. I would have more reasons to read Gateworld section.
                          THAT is a great idea. Seriously, it doesn't always have to be about space exploration and fighting the bad guys. Putting the characters in a different type of environment for a change and watching how they react adds to their character, makes them more believable as a human being just so long as they don't forget it in the next episode. So long as the trauma, or experience, shows.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                            THAT is a great idea. Seriously, it doesn't always have to be about space exploration and fighting the bad guys. Putting the characters in a different type of environment for a change and watching how they react adds to their character, makes them more believable as a human being just so long as they don't forget it in the next episode. So long as the trauma, or experience, shows.
                            When I wrote that I thought about great shows I liked :
                            - BSG (of course),
                            - Dexter(Nice guy isn't it?),
                            - Californication (not really in SG spirit...),
                            - Cowboy Bebop (I wonder what's the writer doing now...)....

And you can also ask some "conventionnal" writers like :
                            - Stephen King (Now I am dreaming....)
                            - Alan Moore (there is something tantalizing in his comics (Note: Don't forget to watch WatchMen The Movie))
                            - Frank Miller (300, Dark Knight returns, Sin City,...)

But I have not great expectations on these last 3
                            La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                            L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

In all fairness, SGA was left alone without contact with Earth for quite some time. That could be like STV a little bit.

I feel(hope) the show will be more adventurous than it is now. SGA has become trapped in a room shows, and hardly no exploring anymore. I hope there is more exploring in SGU than there is with SGA.

Comment

Working...
                              X