PDA

View Full Version : Give SGU a chance.

annetten
August 24th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I really like the idea of a new series, especially if it has to do with the Stargate but with this new series you know the cast will be new and I was hoping to see the old cast that was thrown off the SG1 series be brought back...... Also, what does this mean for Atlantis now, is it dust in the wind too??? Instead of new series they should have kept the old one (SG1) and enhanced that with old and new cast members going to a ship. The name of the show is STARGATE!:confused:

Vic´thor
August 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I Know you people are angry about Atlantis. I am. It should have done a s6. But... Dont just whine about " Im not gonna watch Universe!! Näh!!"
Give it a freaking chance. Then It comes try it, if not good fine. Just dont judge things before seing it! Life isent perfect. We atleast get a 2h movie.
Give Universe a chance. ( And that of the SG´s not being used. We dont nkow that.)

Vic´thor :thor:

Xylian
August 24th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Thank you!! I'm so sick of everyone bashing the show when they haven't seen it yet! Stargate Atlantis is gone, it's not going to come back other than the movies. Get over it, and give SGU a chance!

Zelda fan
August 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Thank you!! I'm so sick of everyone bashing the show when they haven't seen it yet! Stargate Atlantis is gone, it's not going to come back other than the movies. Get over it, and give SGU a chance!
NO!!!!!

i want my sga back :mad:

Flyboy
August 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
This is a sweeping generalisation.

I'm not angry about Atlantis, in fact I was telling people to calm down about Atlantis' cancellation a couple of days ago. I liked the show, but what's done is done. My concern about SGU stems entirely from two things "space faring show" "younger vibe".

I'll watch it, but it doesn;t mean I'm not angry that the roots of Stargate are being betrayed.

ferrari20092
August 24th, 2008, 09:50 AM
NO!!!!!

Dude Calm down, everything has to end, It's big business that forces TV shows to shut down and they do what would make them the most money, and a new show and movies would make them the greatest amount of money in the least amount of time. It's the way the industry works. Just try to be open to Universe it could be good.

Zelda fan
August 24th, 2008, 09:51 AM
i'm just sick of American channels canceling good shows

Linda06
Nope,sorry....I won't give it a chance...It's my prerogative whether I want to watch It or not and I choose not to!!!

I blame this for Atlantis getting dumped so I'm not gonna support It!

Madwelshboy

I'm not angry about Atlantis, in fact I was telling people to calm down about Atlantis' cancellation a couple of days ago. I liked the show, but what's done is done. My concern about SGU stems entirely from two things "space faring show" "younger vibe".

I'll watch it, but it doesn;t mean I'm not angry that the roots of Stargate are being betrayed.

I really do agree with you on that! Also Sci Fi Channel’s Dave Howe comments have further angered me, an i know im not the only one!!

Flyboy
August 24th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I really do agree with you on that! Also Sci Fi Channel’s Dave Howe comments have further angered me, an i know im not the only one!!
Which comments?

(and Mr Zelda Fan appears to have just negated my generalisation point ;))

System_Lord_Remus
August 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Nope,sorry....I won't give it a chance...It's my prerogative whether I want to watch It or not and I choose not to!!!

I blame this for Atlantis getting dumped so I'm not gonna support It!

i Agree this puts my point across just nicely but i'll put it in my own words

NOPE!!!, never, no way, no how, i'm not going to give Stargate Voyager a chance. I've said it before and i'm gonna say it again and again until people start to listen are you ready here it comes

SAVE ATLANTIS: SAVE THE LOST CITY!!!

ferrari20092
August 24th, 2008, 10:03 AM

NOPE!!!, never, no way, no how, i'm i going to give Stargate Voyager a chance. I've said it before and i'm gonna say it again and again until people start to listen are you ready here it comes

I didn't know you wanted the stargate franchise to end. I don't but hey if you don't like stargate enough that's fine there are plenty of fans out there.

Blencathra
August 24th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Of course as soon as people start to enjoy & love Stargate Universe that will get dumped as well. :(

CrazyCarter
August 24th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Of course everyone should watch it before making a final decision. But people are entitled to speculate too you know. And so far, based on what we've been given, the show sounds like it's going to suck big time.

I'll give it a chance. If it's bad, i'll express my complaints about the show itself and not my initial speculation, unless it proves to be true.

If it's good, I'll watch it, but wearily, because if it's good that means they'll have put sci-fi into it (I don't particularly like drama romance character based stories in space) and then that means sci-fi will end up canceling it eventually.

No win situation.

But for those of you imploring us to give the show a chance before negatively speculating on it; I urge you to do the same. None of you have seen the show either. You have not read the scripts. You do not know the characters. You have no idea if the show is going to be good, or remotely like BSG or Lost as many are suggesting. So it's a two way street. Watch the show before liking it. All we can do at the moment is speculate. Saying something is good period before watching it is just as bad as saying something sucks period without watching it.

Flyboy
August 24th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I personally am quite happy for people to hate SGU's guts. I think we should all watch the pilot, as hey, it's possible to be wrong.

But hating it because we lost SGA is counter productive. I mean, heck I'm a big SGA fan as well, and I'm going to miss it a lot. But there we go.

Linda06
August 24th, 2008, 10:10 AM

NOPE!!!, never, no way, no how, i'm i going to give Stargate Voyager a chance. I've said it before and i'm gonna say it again and again until people start to listen are you ready here it comes

hmm...You said it so much better than me...

I liked Voyager...But I don't want a voyager two!!!

Flyboy
August 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM

You don't?

But... what's not to love about this little cutie:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d2/Voyager.jpg/300px-Voyager.jpg

Linda06
August 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM
You don't?

But... what's not to love about this little cutie:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d2/Voyager.jpg/300px-Voyager.jpg

:lol: aww that's cute.....hmm well If the ships like this maybe I will give It a shot!

System_Lord_Remus
August 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Thank you i read the name somewhere in a post can't remember where now and yeah i agree whats the point in watching Voyager again?

do not freeze
August 24th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I just read the article about it on GW main page and I definately think it will suck. The whole concept is a little bit stupid, but it holds some potential and if done right, it could be great. But really, they want some soap opera to replace BSG and they want a younger audience too. What a receipe for disaster, really how worse can it be. I also read that one of the producer thinks that the game will help the franchise... WHAT ? How can that stupid game do anything more than tarnish this franchise?

Vic´thor
August 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
For Crying out loud!! How do you know its only ship traveling! The ship need to travel to a planet to be at a Point of Orgin to use the StarGate.Before yelling " Star Treak copy!" watch the first 3 episondes in 2009. Its 3hrs. If you like it watch it if not go watch something..
We only know its on the ship Destiny. Atlants was a ship! They didnt fly around in it. Do u think they waist fuel by going 4 million lightyears every week to new place. Its called StarGate! It will use Stargates. And it wont have 100 gateships and 10k drones. This ship is old. 10 million year older than atlantis. Give it a chance.
Also people how say they wont see SGA movie. WTF? Dont u want to see Atlantis? What are you then yelling about. Be happy you in USA get SG fast. We in Sweden got SG-SG-1 in 2007. And AoT and Con hasent come yet. So I say we watch SGA s5, see comeing movies and see SGU PLOT!I hate Atlantis go! But I dont whine like a baby for that :thoranime01:If you call yourself the proud name StarGAte fan. See the show!
[Walter] : Chevron nine encoded! Gods speed SGU!

Mike272
August 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM
NO!!!!!

OK, we all do, but what if all of our efforts fail? Would you rather have NO Stargate, or a mediocre source of Stargate?

SelmakWarrior
August 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I'm pretty fed up about the decsion. And even though people say "I won't watch SGU" they will just think "Oh I'll just get it and see whats like, I'm only one person, I won't make that much difference". And I thought Continuum was rubbish compared to the series. This is practically what was shown, Desert, Ice, Submarine, F15, Reset button.

People only bought The SG1 movies because it was SG1, even though others had said how bad they were compared to the series. They only bought it because of the name.

From what I've heard many people think Season 5 is much better than Season 4. Season 4 there was a lot filler eps. So far in Season 5 they have mostly been Fillers and there hasn't been that much complaining, because the stories have actually been good.

Just as Atlantis is getting liked again, they cancel it. They have always said how devoted the fanbase is to the show and how they want to repay that, with more quality video. But it seems that is just words.

The producers, etc. say that making 2 series side-by-side is too hectic, which is a reason SG1 ended, however, now there is the 3rd SG1 movie, The 1st SGA movie(plus the ones that should follow), a 2 hour SGU movie, the SGU series and the apparently a remake of the Children of the gods. So thats 4+ movies and a series. Movies take longer to film and write etc. That why we've only had 2 not so good SG1 stories, instead of 20-all-mostly-good episodes.

This doesn't make sense at all.

I think the SGU storyline sounds good but is just came to early, give Atlantis another season or two to properly finish off(Atlantis on earth would the ultimate) and then have SGU and it would be better. Because the fans (in case you forgot, the fans are us who pay and watch the show, and without the producers, etc. wouldn't have a job) don't want it right now, it's similar to don't fix something that isn't broken.

And I thought this quote from Steven Moffat (Dr Who Writer or something) was great:

A movie is one 90 minutes a year," Moffat told the BBC. "So yes, so long as it never gets in the way of the show. If it gets in the way of the show, that's appalling.

We need him making SG.

EDIT: I wonder what the actors think of this? (being dropped like Torri (Wier))

luvmac
August 24th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I Know you people are angry about Atlantis. I am. It should have done a s6. But... Dont just whine about " Im not gonna watch Universe!! Näh!!"
Give it a freaking chance. Then It comes try it, if not good fine. Just dont judge things before seing it! Life isent perfect. We atleast get a 2h movie.
Give Universe a chance. ( And that of the SG´s not being used. We dont nkow that.)

Why exactly should I give SGU a chance? Because it's Stargate? I didn't even give Atlantis a chance because of that. I watched the the first 4 seasons of SG-1 and loved it but didn't watch the show afterwards. And as much as a loved the first 4 seasons it didn't inspire me to watch Atlantis when it first came on the air. Something else made me give it a try and that was half way through its 3rd season. I watched and fell in love with the characters of Rodney, John and Carson (which is similar to why I loved SG-1 as I simply adored the characters of Daniel and Jack). Now I love Atlantis way more than SG-1 but it has nothing to do with my previous love of SG-1 or the fact that it's Stargate.

So, unless SGU offers me something along those lines to draw me in (which reading all the synopsis of the show it's doubtful), I think I'll be giving it a pass.

Madwelshboy
August 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Which comments?

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=58131

Madwelshboy
August 24th, 2008, 11:32 AM
The producers, etc. say that making 2 series side-by-side is too hectic, which is a reason SG1 ended, however, now there is the 3rd SG1 movie, The 1st SGA movie(plus the ones that should follow), a 2 hour SGU movie, the SGU series and the apparently a remake of the Children of the gods. So thats 4+ movies and a series. Movies take longer to film and write etc. That why we've only had 2 not so good SG1 stories, instead of 20-all-mostly-good episodes.

This doesn't make sense at all.

Which has potenisal all ready been writing and acording to Chris Jugde could start filmin in Jan. If this was to happen it would be before the start of filiming on SGU, since production on a new season typically starts the end of Feb each year

Io be writing by Joe & Paul who there for would probally not write for SGU untill it was complet. Anything further is still unknown.

The 2 hour SGU movie is just the pilot i.e. eps 1 & 2

Nothin new is begin filmed, they are just basically editing the original and apparently all ready been done

andr3w_iii
August 24th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Why would i give it a chance?
Anyone can see that SGA got canceled so SGU can have the go ahead
been a Stargate fan since the movie came out loved SG1 till it ended Season 8 Makes me sick that tptb think that we fans are idiots and i dont think that SGA can be saved because none of the producers want it saved thats been made clear as for SGU Brad Wright and SciFi and MGM can shove it up were the sun doesnt shine people am out of Stargate done with it and wont sign in this forum again which has been great. :mckay:

SelmakWarrior
August 24th, 2008, 12:38 PM
SGU shows in 2009, they can film it after showing it (hate to break it to you the stargate isnt real and time machines dont exist)
n
More effort goes into making 1 movie than two episodes, and generally the episodes are better, I'd rather have a series that starts later than a movie being shown.

The first SGA movie could've been S06E01+2, but making it a movie would take a bit longer (DVD quality, DVD production etc.)

I havent seen anything about the SGU movie being Episode 1 and 2.

Please explain how a movie can be converted from 4:3 to 16:9? (I honestly dont understand)

Major Clanger
August 24th, 2008, 01:13 PM
It didn't bother me when SG-1 got cancelled because, for me, it was about 3 or 4 seasons past its sell-by date.

SGA I went off fairly quickly, but from what I have seen of irregular viewings of the latest season I saw (S4) I wasn't missing anything so its cancellation isn't a major blow.

But the arrogant assumption that programme makers have these days that a show can only be good if the cast are all 20 (and, therefore, totally unconvincing in any leadership or qualified-personnel roles) is something that gets stuck in my craw.

Especially given that the older viewers are going to be in the huge majority with the bigger disposable incomes.

So no. I won't give a new show a chance just because it has the word Stargate tacked on. I'll stick to something that is going to tickle the grey matter and present something a tad more realistic (as realistic as sci-fi gets, anyway) and watch BSG.

But then, I'm not going to get upset that other people want to give a new show a spin, and look forward to seeing their discussion of it.

:D

Col.Foley
August 24th, 2008, 01:17 PM
It didn't bother me when SG-1 got cancelled because, for me, it was about 3 or 4 seasons past its sell-by date.

SGA I went off fairly quickly, but from what I have seen of irregular viewings of the latest season I saw (S4) I wasn't missing anything so its cancellation isn't a major blow.

But the arrogant assumption that programme makers have these days that a show can only be good if the cast are all 20 (and, therefore, totally unconvincing in any leadership or qualified-personnel roles) is something that gets stuck in my craw.

Especially given that the older viewers are going to be in the huge majority with the bigger disposable incomes.

So no. I won't give a new show a chance just because it has the word Stargate tacked on. I'll stick to something that is going to tickle the grey matter and present something a tad more realistic (as realistic as sci-fi gets, anyway) and watch BSG.

But then, I'm not going to get upset that other people want to give a new show a spin, and look forward to seeing their discussion of it.

:DWe do not know exactly what 'younger and edgier' means exactly. It could simply mean that we get one regular charcter who is young....(Ford, Jackson) and have the rest be all quite normal aged. Or even younger then Ford or Jackson. Or...it could mean that we get several younger characters, a team of junior sceintists for example, and one or two really older characters that are in the leadership position.

Major Clanger
August 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Unfortunately I'm old enough and ugly enough to know exactly what comments like that mean.

There is nothing new under the sun, after all.

Ikaros
August 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Atlantis was cancelled because they wanted to keep the BSG fans on watcing sci fi channel. Read the sci fi channel boss's words and you will realize that.
How am i supposed to feel as an Atlantis fan? They can have their soap opera!!
And they can stop throwing that stupid "it's always stargate" thing at us!
People are not stupid,they thought they could save money, make even more by making movies, and keep the BSG fans on sci fi with something between the two shows.
I give no chance to no soap opera, whatever the name!!

amconway
August 24th, 2008, 02:12 PM

This is more along my line of thought - although 'the roots of Stargate being betrayed is rather strong language. Perhaps too strong. My reaction really has nothing to do with Atlantis.
Actually, I find the arguments from the 'don't you dare say it's not going to be good until you've seen it!', and the 'I'm never watching SGU, Never!' factions to be two sides of the same coin. Neither has a whole lot to do with critical thinking (in an analytical sense).

Col.Foley
August 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Unfortunately I'm old enough and ugly enough to know exactly what comments like that mean.

There is nothing new under the sun, after all.
Well no...there is not. But, nevertheless, I have faith in the writers that it will turn out OK, until it is not...and then I will get mad.

ha'tak_
August 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM

i agree i think it will suprise os and some pepole was saying boycott sgu, i dont think that is good idea becouse some stragate is better then none stargate:)

Flyboy
August 24th, 2008, 06:06 PM
i agree i think it will suprise os and some pepole was saying boycott sgu, i dont think that is good idea becouse some stragate is better then none stargate:)
Not if it's bad stargate.

Whilst TPTB want us to accept anything they give us, I'll only continue watching if the quality is high. I've given up on shows before.

ferrari20092
August 24th, 2008, 06:10 PM
People for the last time. ATLANTIS WASN'T CANCELED BECAUSE OF UNIVERSE. it's a matter of money, 2 new movies, and a new series would make sci-fi and MGM more money so that is the route they picked. Just watch Universe and if you don't like it fine, but if you hate it before it even comes out your just stupid and ignorant.

zodden
August 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I think most of us will give it a chance, but NOT now.

Its not coming for like 11 months so we have lots of time to get over the grief and anger at MGM and Sci Fi for again ending a show that was not yet ready to leave.

The timing of the announcement of the new show was a bad decision by those idiots. It makes it seem like the cancellation and the new show are related. That also may have some factual basis behind it from what we have read here in the news sections about having all this money freed up.

So its anger talking from many of us. By summer of next year we will all be ready for more Stargate I am sure, though I am worried about all this talk of going for the "younger" crowd. If its going to be Gossip girls in space or something you can count me out.

Briangate78
August 24th, 2008, 06:17 PM

I'm going to watch SGU, give it a shot, but I can still be pissed about the decision to get rid of SGA. Now if SGU totally blows I will be even more pissed off and I'm sure most of the fan base will be also.

But, as my father always told me, it is better to be pissed off than pissed on.

zodden
August 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM
People for the last time. ATLANTIS WASN'T CANCELED BECAUSE OF UNIVERSE. it's a matter of money, 2 new movies, and a new series would make sci-fi and MGM more money so that is the route they picked. Just watch Universe and if you don't like it fine, but if you hate it before it even comes out your just stupid and ignorant.

Atlantis WAS canceled because of Universe because they didn't want to spend the MONEY to run the shows concurrently, so they decided to cancel Atlantis so they can trot out the new one. Then throw in some DVD gate films and they make more money as you mentioned. Money as the reason is the same as saying Atlantis was the reason since its money that drives all their decisions.

Having said that I am sure I will check out the new show. Its a long way off in any event

amconway
August 24th, 2008, 06:20 PM
if you hate it before it even comes out your just stupid and ignorant.
Is this really the best way to change people's minds and get your point across? Going from thread to thread and insulting people really isn't effective.

zodden
August 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Is this really the best way to change people's minds and get your point across? Going from thread to thread and insulting people really isn't effective.

From the way that person's posts are composed I would say he/she is no older then 14-15. So its just an emotional teen most likely.

amconway
August 24th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Ah. Yes. Thanks for reminding me of that likelihood.

Browncoat1984
August 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I wish people would stop saying Universe is Voyager, I've said it before but I'll say it again, Universe is not Voyager. Why does everyone automatically call Universe Voyager? Voyager itself was not original. There were shows with Voyager's premise long before Voyager aired. The only reason everyone is saying Voyager is because Voyager carries the name Star Trek, and Universe is not Voyager. Voyager was about a ship and crew making their way on a slow, long trek (pun intended) home. Universe is about a crew stuck on an ancient ship, automated, with no way to get home. Seems to me those are two different things.

Col.Foley
August 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I wish people would stop saying Universe is Voyager, I've said it before but I'll say it again, Universe is not Voyager. Why does everyone automatically call Universe Voyager? Voyager itself was not original. There were shows with Voyager's premise long before Voyager aired. The only reason everyone is saying Voyager is because Voyager carries the name Star Trek, and Universe is not Voyager. Voyager was about a ship and crew making their way on a slow, long trek (pun intended) home. Universe is about a crew stuck on an ancient ship, automated, with no way to get home. Seems to me those are two different things.You do raise a point.

Browncoat1984
August 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM
You do raise a point. Thank you.

andr3w_iii
August 24th, 2008, 11:08 PM
SGU = Voyager

jenks
August 24th, 2008, 11:12 PM
People said that about SGA, then when it began they said it was DS9, then by the end of season 1 they'd shut up. I predict something similar will happen with SGU.

SelmakWarrior
August 24th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Jenks that's what the producer,etc. expect but this time it has to be different.

I personnaly want SGU, but not yet, finsih Atlantis properly with 1 or 2 seasons then have SGU. I think that is what most people want.

Vespasianus
August 24th, 2008, 11:34 PM
People said that about SGA, then when it began they said it was DS9, then by the end of season 1 they'd shut up. I predict something similar will happen with SGU.Yes, that's my thinking too. At the time, the Atlantis show seemed like an unnecessary rip-off of SG-1 and the Voyager argument was shot at it too. Especially after the cast was announced: "oh, this Sheppard sounds awfully like O'Neill", "female Teal'c", "why McKay, why?!" and so on... Oh and the Wraith "another powerful evil superrace like the Goa'uld" and "wtf??? space vampires???"

So yeah, Atlantis wasn't exactly a promising show. From what we know now, Universe seems more promosing, at least to me, but we'd have to wait for the cast list and ultimately the show itself.

So why boycott Universe exactly? Revenge?

Hurting SGU will hurt the franchise itself, which doesn't bode well to Atlantis movies either...

edit: sorry, changed my post.:P

Madwelshboy
August 25th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I havent seen anything about the SGU movie being Episode 1 and 2.

Stargate Universe will start with a two-hour movie early next year. Over the summer it will join the weekly schedule, with 18 more one-hour episodes to follow the movie

i.e. movie = ep 1 & 2 of a 20 ep season.

http://www.multichannel.com/index.asp?layout=talkbackCommentsFull&talk_back_header_id=6551275&articleid=CA6589804

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Yes, that's my thinking too. At the time, the Atlantis show seemed like an unnecessary rip-off of SG-1 and the Voyager argument was shot at it too. Especially after the cast was announced: "oh, this Sheppard sounds awfully like O'Neill", "female Teal'c", "why McKay, why?!" and so on... Oh and the Wraith "another powerful evil superrace like the Goa'uld" and "wtf??? space vampires???"

So yeah, Atlantis wasn't exactly a promising show. From what we know now, Universe seems more promosing, at least to me, but we'd have to wait for the cast list and ultimately the show itself.

So why boycott Universe exactly? Revenge?

Hurting SGU will hurt the franchise itself, which doesn't bode well to Atlantis movies either...

edit: sorry, changed my post.:P
Hey... I love SGA, but I'm still convinced that Teyla is just a Teal'c counterpart even down to her stoic nature. As for Shep and O'Neill... well, two peas in a pod... but then so's Mitchell. So I'm going with the fact they're all pilots, who often ARE identical.

ha'tak_
August 25th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Not if it's bad stargate.

Whilst TPTB want us to accept anything they give us, I'll only continue watching if the quality is high. I've given up on shows before.

how do you know if its is going to be bad , okey i know it sounds a little like star treak

but dosent it sound cool being on a ancient ship whit all the new thecand ofcourse the all new stuff we are going to see

give it a break we know the name of the ship on some little detiles what it is about and every one goes crazy and are saying it will suck i know you all are mad about sga so am I but give sgu a chance

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I didn't say that it WAS going to be bad. But just because it's "Stargate" doesn't mean it's automatically good or even better than no Stargate. Sometimes you don't want to see your franchise go down the drain.

Put it this way, let's pretend SGA has just been cancelled, but instead of getting SGU, we're getting Stargate Infinity as the NEW leading Stargate show. Would five years of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3MW0JMm2wM) be better than nothing? Really? To a lot of people SGU feels like it could just be a live action version of SGI avec ships.

Krissie678
August 25th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I'll give it a chance. I think the premise sounds cool. That could also be that I've never really watched Star Trek. Don't get me wrong I love Atlantis and I'm horribly mad to see it go, but SGU needs to be given a chance in my opinion. You never know it could be good.

Betelgeuze
August 25th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I always watch Stargate by other means because i don't have access to Scifi. I do have all the Sg-1 and Atlantis seasons on DVD. Maybe i will download a few eps of Universe to see if i like it and then buy the dvd's. However i must admit that the concept of the show does not appeal to me. Having the show take place mainly on a ship instead of planets and the shift away from the technology and mythology just does not sound like Stargate to me. What bothers me most however, is that the show will be targeted to a younger audience.

Linda06
August 25th, 2008, 08:06 AM

So telling us they're cancelling SGA one day then saying SGU got the green light the next is just coincidence then huh.....If you really think that you're deluding yourself.....It's clear as day why SGA got cancelled,so they can play with their new toy....

Why should i support SGU,they treated us loyal fans abysmally...They more or less said they want to target a younger audience....Well who cares about the current viewers who've been around for years.....They just dump us at the side of the road when it suited them so no i will not give them my respect or support for this new series!!

CazzBlade
August 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM

If there was no SGU would SGA still have been cancelled?

Linda06
August 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM
if there was no sgu would sga still have been cancelled?

hell no ;)

jelgate
August 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM
hell no ;)Your wrong.Every show gets cancelled eventually:P

Major_Griff
August 25th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I was very upset about the canceling of SGA when I heard about it, but I never once thought about boycotting SGU because of it. I'd rather of had SGU wait another year for SGA to get a sixth season where they could so some things like SG-1's 8th season which was really a proper ending to the series (despite there being two more seasons). But what's done is done and I am looking very much forward to SGA's movie adventures as well as SGU. Other than the "mainstream" and "younger audience" comments, the general premise of Universe is intriguing and I will certainly give it a chance and more. Boycotting SGU will only hurt the franchise and it won't bring SGA back. Give it a chance, if it's bad it's bad, if not then you might just have a new favorite show.

Linda06
August 25th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Your wrong.Every show gets cancelled eventually:P

Yes i know that and i accept that ;) But what i cannot accept is for one show to get dumped just so they can play with their new toy with their "younger" audience :mckay:

Kanetsidohi
August 25th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I guess many people is going to watch SGU, and many of them are going to enjoy it, but what I liked was SG1/SGA. SGU could be the best sci-fi series of all times but I don't feel feel the anticipation I felt about SG1, or SGA.

Out of loyalty I followed SG1 until the end, and because I still enjoy it, I'll follow SGA in the same way. But I have not loyalty towards any franchise. Frankly, even the word sounds dirty. I feel it implies that I have to want to watch/buy anything just because is part of it.

Some people have said that we have to stop whinning, SGA has to end sometimes, and we have to accept it. Well, the same can be said about the franchise isn't? Only time, and ratings, would tell how good or bad, this move was, and how long the sacred franchise would live.

SG1/SGU have died, long life to SGU. It would be that easy?

Major_Griff
August 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Some people have said that we have to stop whinning, SGA has to end sometimes, and we have to accept it. Well, the same can be said about the franchise isn't? Only time, and ratings, would tell how good or bad, this move was, and how long the sacred franchise would live.

SG1/SGU have died, long life to SGU. It would be that easy?

Actually in theory a franchise could last forever if they keep coming up with new and interesting ideas and people keep watching. A TV series however could not. Why? Actors want to move on, and costs rise as the years go on. You could get new actors to replace the old, but that is usually a death knell when the lead character of a show leaves.

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Actually in theory a franchise could last forever if they keep coming up with new and interesting ideas and people keep watching. A TV series however could not. Why? Actors want to move on, and costs rise as the years go on. You could get new actors to replace the old, but that is usually a death knell when the lead character of a show leaves.
And every so often you need to reinvent, much like X-Files S8 & 9 and Sg1 9&10, and these desicions are rarely popular.

Major_Griff
August 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
And every so often you need to reinvent, much like X-Files S8 & 9 and Sg1 9&10, and these desicions are rarely popular.

Exactly, in both of those cases a lead character left. Once DD and RDA left two years later they were over. (With X-Files they should have just ended it after S7, IMO)

Kanetsidohi
August 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM

I was being sarcarstic :) becuase to me, is not that easy.

I know an stablished franchise could go on for years, I wondered about it's quality. Although I guess for many fans the franchise comes first than the series/movies/merchandise than make it, and that point doesn't necessarily matter.

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Exactly, in both of those cases a lead character left. Once DD and RDA left two years later they were over. (With X-Files they should have just ended it after S7, IMO)
For me I think they managed to pull S8 off succesfully, as Mulder returned for the second half of the series, and they hadn't full "revealed" their new plot. The new mytharc - super soldiers, was conspiracy free in S8 and seemed like a natural PROGRESSION, then in S9 they decided, "let's make a mytharc we can use for the next 10 years", and so they complicated the super soldier plot and things went bad.

SG1 9 and 10 I loved, much more than 7 and 8. But it was SO different and by that stage, they should have known they wouldnt go on forever, what if increasing expenses. I loved the Ori arc, and the Merlin legacy, and heck, it was MY mythology, British mythology. It was very fun, and very politically astute. I also loved it for in theme feeling a lot like the early days of Sg1. But the problem was... it felt like a new show, whilst trying to be the old one. With the amount of changes made to the whole dynamic all at once, new General, New Male Lead, New ships, New Bad guy, New Female, Teal'c without his Staff.... the only way that could have worked is if Landry had come in during S8 or... Mitchell came in S10 or something.

Kanetsidohi
August 25th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Yes, after some years you have to reinvent yourself or die, unfortunately, many times death would have been way better than the new you. IMO.

That's why, although I'm sad, I'm glad SGA was still good. Let's hope TPTB don't ruin it killing off my favorite characters at the end of the season, or in the movie.

Now, I shut up because this thread is for SGU.

Kanetsidohi
August 25th, 2008, 09:37 AM
SG1 9 and 10 I loved, much more than 7 and 8. But it was SO different and by that stage, they should have known they wouldnt go on forever, what if increasing expenses. I loved the Ori arc, and the Merlin legacy, and heck, it was MY mythology, British mythology. It was very fun, and very politically astute. I also loved it for in theme feeling a lot like the early days of Sg1. But the problem was... it felt like a new show, whilst trying to be the old one. With the amount of changes made to the whole dynamic all at once, new General, New Male Lead, New ships, New Bad guy, New Female, Teal'c without his Staff.... the only way that could have worked is if Landry had come in during S8 or... Mitchell came in S10 or something.

It seems I watch too much tv because I have a theory about SG1/SGC that explains to me why this whole SGA/SGU mess happened! :)

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
It seems I watch too much tv because I have a theory about SG1/SGC that explains to me why this whole SGA/SGU mess happened! :)
Shoot.

kymeric
August 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Oh we all know all the complainers are gonna watch SGU. Theyre just venting. If they really wernt gonna watch theyd stop posting and disappear.

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Oh we all know all the complainers are gonna watch SGU. Theyre just venting. If they really wernt gonna watch theyd stop posting and disappear.
That's not true, there are people here who never watched SGA, but stuck around as SG1 fans.

You say "complainers" like its a bad thing. What's wrong with critical discussion. Yes. I WILL watch, because I WANT to be proven wrong.

Major_Griff
August 25th, 2008, 09:46 AM
That's not true, there are people here who never watched SGA, but stuck around as SG1 fans.

You say "complainers" like its a bad thing. What's wrong with critical discussion. Yes. I WILL watch, because I WANT to be proven wrong.

I just feel like people should have more faith in the PTB. I mean these are the people behind my two favorite shows, and I assume that most people here feel the same about at least one of the shows, so why not give them the benefit of the doubt?

Kanetsidohi
August 25th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Not ALL, I'm not. I'm venting just because is healthy. I don't have the Sci-fi channel, to watch SGU would require some effort on my part that I'm not doing.

As an example: Just to find what channel, if any, is going to air it in my country take a lot of research because almost any sci-fi series is usually aired at unholly hours, and without any publicity.

Kanetsidohi
August 25th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Shoot.

I'm going to write it down because I'm going to send it to my friends too. They don't visit this forum so they must probably not know about the cancelation. Before SGA started, one of them warned me about this franchise thing.

<btw> My theory is just a bunch of weird ideas so, don't expect much, please. ;)

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I just feel like people should have more faith in the PTB. I mean these are the people behind my two favorite shows, and I assume that most people here feel the same about at least one of the shows, so why not give them the benefit of the doubt?
Because I'm skeptical about what I've heard so far.

Because, despite loving the mythology of S9 and 10 of SG1, I got fed up of all the beaming and space battles, and because even though I love SGA, I believe the Ancients belong THERE and THERE alone now. The Ancients properly debuted in Series 6 of Sg1. we've now had about 6 years of Ancient this Ancient that. Antarctic Outpost, Dakara Device, Merlin's Weapon, and the entirety of Atlantis. Despite the fact the SGA was supposed to be the show focusing on the Ancients, SG1 did exactly the same. It's forgiven, as good stories were produced.

What I fear is that this NEW SPACE FARING ADVENTURE, is taking elements which are not representational of SG as a whole (ie the SGA space battles) and building a series off that, in addition they're relying on the Ancients AGAIN.

Atlantis made sense for me. The myth of a technologically advanced city was real, so it was logical that in that show, whilst theyre contemporary humans, they have access to amazing technology. It worked within SG1's mythology. SG1 was about myths and legends (Ancient Egypt, King Arthur, etc etc) and so was SGA at its core. This is stripping away everything that makes Stargate unique. Mythology, Contemporary settings, it's IDENTITY.

Hence I am very. Very skeptical. I'm excited as well. Because I'm HOPING for something good. But it's been painfully obvious in the later days of the franchise, that the roots are being forgotten, and this just makes it worse.

Besides. You have no more reason to be excited than I have to be cynical. All we have is several concept press releases. As long as we're both going to give it a go and be willing to say "yeah that's awesome/rubbish" what's the problem?

Infinatus
August 25th, 2008, 09:57 AM

The thing is that some people have been disappointed too many times by TPTB not to doubt them.

I for one liked SG-1 and SGA (the later seasons, I know I'm in the minority but season 1 was awful!). Though I am worried about this "appealing to a younger audience" deal, since right now SGU is sounding like another BSG.

Kribby
August 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM
OK, we all do, but what if all of our efforts fail? Would you rather have NO Stargate, or a mediocre source of Stargate?

I mean so what? I will not watch a show just because it has the word Stargate tacked on as the first word in the title.

HunGripen
August 25th, 2008, 10:00 AM
The real problem is not with those who are complaning about the cancellation of Atlantis(SG-1 and SGA is two of my favorite series), but those who say it will be "Voyager 2", it will be a sappan opera etc. and they don't gonna watch the show. The filming didn't start yet and some people are making theoris about the show.
We will see it in 2009.

Infinatus
August 25th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I mean so what? I will not watch a show just because it has the word Stargate tacked on as the first word in the title.

If there's no stargate this show will just be a rehash of Star Trek: Voyager or Battlestar Galactica.

Infinatus
August 25th, 2008, 10:04 AM
The real problem is not with those who are complaning about the cancellation of Atlantis(SG-1 and SGA is two of my favorite series), but those who say it will be "Voyager 2", it will be a sappan opera etc. and they don't gonna watch the show. The filming didn't start yet and some people are making theoris about the show.
We will see it in 2009.

We have been given enough information about the show to speculate, negative or positive. :)

HunGripen
August 25th, 2008, 10:31 AM
We have been given enough information about the show to speculate, negative or positive. :)
I mean they think they know what kind the show going to be.

Major_Griff
August 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I remember reading about SGA before it came out. They said that the stargate would still be around but it would have a new function than before. They also said there would be a universal translator to explain why everyone speaks english. A lot of people didn't like hearing that. Turns out that the new function of the gate just meant that there'd be space gates and they use the Puddle Jumpers to go through instead of on foot all the time, and they changed their minds about the universal translator. Point is, take everything you hear about SGU with a grain of salt. We all might be overreacting to their comments.

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 10:40 AM
On that logic, no one should get excited about it either.

You know Griff, I was looking forward to your response to my post. Alas. :(

Seriously though, these aren't cryptic plot elements. They're facts that are core to the series. It's gonna be set in space at the edge of the universe, and will have little mythology. That doesn't sound like SG to me. It sounds like BSG.

Betelgeuze
August 25th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Yes, it seems like it's going to be a space opera. And i so hope we're wrong but if it's going to be more like BSG than Stargate i will not watch it. I never liked BSG.

Linda06
August 25th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I watched BSG but i got bored with it :S

I hate soaps and i can't stand opera :p

Major Clanger
August 25th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Blimey, Major G, where to start?
They took a perfectly good show, kept it great for nearly 7 seasons sort of managed to wrap it up and then... flushed it down the toilet. (yes, I haven't seen S10 because S9 was such a pile of foetid dingoe's kidneys I didn't want my brain to start leaking out of my ears)

SGA was fine until around mid-way through S3 and then it died a death. I gave it a chance because I absolutely couldn't stand the Weir character but the others more than made up for it.

I'm not even going to begin to think about maybe possibly watching the next show, because I don't like what I'm hearing so far.

As to whoever reckons that people should leave the forum... well, I like to discuss aspects of the eps that I do like. So I'll be sticking around.

I will just be sticking my fingers in my ears and going "lalalalaala I can't hear you" when SGU gets discussed.

Betelgeuze
August 25th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Season 10 of SG-1 is better than season 9 imo.

Major_Griff
August 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
You know Griff, I was looking forward to your response to my post. Alas. :(

Well I was going to reply but then went and got some soup and forgot. I agree that it would be better if SGU was more connected to SG mythology especially since SGA won't be running along side of it, but again I'm just going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Also has anyone thought that whey they say there's going to be less technology that they mean it will be more like SG-1 S1-5 where all we had was real Earth tech and some zat guns? No Asgard beams, no battle cruisers, no puddle jumpers, etc.

Linda06
August 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Blimey, Major G, where to start?
They took a perfectly good show, kept it great for nearly 7 seasons sort of managed to wrap it up and then... flushed it down the toilet. (yes, I haven't seen S10 because S9 was such a pile of foetid dingoe's kidneys I didn't want my brain to start leaking out of my ears)

SGA was fine until around mid-way through S3 and then it died a death. I gave it a chance because I absolutely couldn't stand the Weir character but the others more than made up for it.

I'm not even going to begin to think about maybe possibly watching the next show, because I don't like what I'm hearing so far.

As to whoever reckons that people should leave the forum... well, I like to discuss aspects of the eps that I do like. So I'll be sticking around.

I will just be sticking my fingers in my ears and going "lalalalaala I can't hear you" when SGU gets discussed.

:eek: I was trying to erase S9-10 from my memory.....Still can't get rid of it :S

Infinatus
August 25th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Also has anyone thought that whey they say there's going to be less technology that they mean it will be more like SG-1 S1-5 where all we had was real Earth tech and some zat guns? No Asgard beams, no battle cruisers, no puddle jumpers, etc.

With the exception perhaps of season 4 and some season 3 episodes I really didn't care for the earlier phase of SG-1 all that much. Just my opinion but I thought the show was at its height seasons 6-8.

Homer 120
August 25th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I seriously wish people would stop comparing it to Voyager, seriously, it's getting annoying. I am willing to give it a chance, they just to me, announced it at the wrong time. Also, saying to people ''Give it a chance'' is like forcing people to eat something they don't like.

Don't get me wrong, it is sad to see SGA go, but for me. I have already moved on, we've still got episodes that are yet to air. My suggestion, enjoy it while you can before it's gone.

As for SGU, well, we will just have to wait and see what it is like. Half the fun in waiting for a new show like SGU is the speculation.

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Well I was going to reply but then went and got some soup and forgot. I agree that it would be better if SGU was more connected to SG mythology especially since SGA won't be running along side of it, but again I'm just going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Except there's more space battles.

Major Clanger, I personally prefered S9 to S10, the Shroud was amazing however, and even if you dont like 9 and 10, I'd reccomend checking it out, just for the Jack and Daniel banter.

thekillman
August 25th, 2008, 11:21 AM
look guys. SGA was cancelled. so the show runners said "ok, can we do movies instead, and launch SGU" and it was accepted. not "we want SGU". [MGM]"ok "* pulls the plug on SGA*'

so Im givin it a chance, infact, if its anything i hope it to be, then im gonna be just as big as a fan as with SGA and SG1

Anubis Lives
August 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I'm completely 50/50 on SGU.

The Plot sounds Average and they Canceled SGA for it. But I'm gonna give it a chance as it is Stargate and a lot of people said the same(ish) things about SGA before launch.

thekillman
August 25th, 2008, 11:25 AM
they Canceled SGA for it.

untrue

Infinatus
August 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
untrue

SGA was running strong ratings wise. It did not die a natural death.

thekillman
August 25th, 2008, 11:29 AM
because shows are sometimes killed WHEN they run good. it looks bad on paper if you kill a show when running bad

Anubis Lives
August 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM
untrue

Sorry. But as much as the producers say that SGA was not canceled for SGU I think it's a load of steaming BS!

I_haz_a_Cookie
August 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
SGA was running strong ratings wise. It did not die a natural death.

Also a dead give a away is SGU gets a green light after one day after SGA gets cancelled, i dunno what other conclusion you can draw from this...i also looked at the ratings personally it didnt seem right they where going up and they canned it

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I'm not an angry than SGU replaced SGA fan, but it is quite obvious that the "mutual agreement" reached by Sci-Fi and MGM was quite simple. "We cannot guarentee the future of SGA in this format, BUT if you agree to cancel it now, we'll guarantee at least one movie broadcast and we will green light SGU for you". It was a business desicion, anyone who can't see that is deluding themselves. OF COURSE SGA was cancelled so SGU can live, and SGA can carry on in another form. Sci Fi probably said "its now or never" for SGU.

Anubis Lives
August 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't say I'm angry. just annoyed. 5 Seasons and 100 episodes is still one hell of an achievement for any show.

Jumper_One
August 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I'm not an angry than SGU replaced SGA fan, but it is quite obvious that the "mutual agreement" reached by Sci-Fi and MGM was quite simple. "We cannot guarentee the future of SGA in this format, BUT if you agree to cancel it now, we'll guarantee at least one movie broadcast and we will green light SGU for you". It was a business desicion, anyone who can't see that is deluding themselves. OF COURSE SGA was cancelled so SGU can live, and SGA can carry on in another form. Sci Fi probably said "its now or never" for SGU.

actually I think that's what the people at MGM said since they're the ones responsible for SGA's cancellation

Flyboy
August 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Eh... responsibility is tough in the business world. I don't "blame" either party but Sci Fi would have to back SGU, MGM were desperate for SGU to go ahead, which makes me think that it was Sci-Fi that said, "ok SGU can go ahead if..." particularly as its Sci, not MGM that benefits from the BSG replacement idea. You can guarantee that MGM would pull in the fans with a traditional gate show, but Sci Fi probably wanted more.

G-Force of Sweden
August 25th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Of course I'll give Universe a chance. I mean, God damn it, it's Stargate!

But I'm still pissed about this. Universe will propably get a lousy cast. Three Stargate series in a row with amazing characters... that's just not gonna happen. And the show itself will propably suck compared to Atlantis, and certanly SG-1. I mean, it's located on a damn ship?! And they ain't got no contact with earth?! So, uh, how long will it go on like that? And when they do get things straightened out, won't that just be the end of the series?

They should have just killed off the Wraith and flown off with Atlantis to a new galaxy. But nooo, the idiots had to cancel a great show. I'll watch Universe, but It'll be crap next to Atlantis.

Jumper_One
August 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Eh... responsibility is tough in the business world. I don't "blame" either party but Sci Fi would have to back SGU, MGM were desperate for SGU to go ahead, which makes me think that it was Sci-Fi that said, "ok SGU can go ahead if..." particularly as its Sci, not MGM that benefits from the BSG replacement idea. You can guarantee that MGM would pull in the fans with a traditional gate show, but Sci Fi probably wanted more.

well I still think it was MGM's decision and SCI FI's ok with it because hey they get a new SG series + at least one Atlantis movie. in the end it doesn't matter, the decision's been made. I'll certainly check out Universe but it sucks that Atlantis was offed to make way for SGU

Falcon 304
August 25th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I'll give it a chance after they've made at least 4 Atlantis movies.

kymeric
August 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM

And how often to sg1 only fans go into the sga folder to bash?

The backlash hasnt been critical discussion, its been more 'omg im gonna kill myself and several PUPPIES too!'

amconway
August 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
While I often disagree with your arguments, I will agree with you about much of the tone of debate. It has been rather frantic in some threads.

The backlash hasnt been critical discussion, its been more 'omg im gonna kill myself and several PUPPIES too!'
LOL!

metabog
August 25th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Dammit we don't even know what it's properly about yet, apart from the little basic info they gave us, and people are already decided that the show will be crap.

amconway
August 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM
And most are just venting. People need to vent. Some will go, but most won't. Not until we see what it's about. The words of Dave Howe fill me with semi-atavistic horror, but I'm going to give it a chance. Most of the rest will, too, once some time has passed. You may actually be doing your argument a diservice in that the more people have to defend a point of view, the more entrenched it become.

unluckynumber11
August 25th, 2008, 04:14 PM
And most are just venting. People need to vent. Some will go, but most won't. Not until we see what it's about. The words of Dave Howe fill me with semi-atavistic horror, but I'm going to give it a chance. Most of the rest will, too, once some time has passed. You may actually be doing your argument a diservice in that the more people have to defend a point of view, the more entrenched it become.

yea it was a big slap in the face for me,
like literally, he came to my house, and slapped me acrose the face.......
and then he calls me a junkie!

Kribby
August 25th, 2008, 04:25 PM

That is so not true. I won't be tuning into SGU-- I am not loyal to the Stargate franchise. I watch shows I like.

Seriously. I watch 1 show a week. SGA... well, I also watch mythbusters when they are busting some cool myth... and CNN.

I guess that's just what happens when you reach my advanced age (I am 28). Anyway, I've been told that SGU isn't for my demographic.

Why would I bother to 'give it a chance'?

Kribby
August 25th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Of course I'll give Universe a chance. I mean, God damn it, it's Stargate!

But I'm still pissed about this. Universe will propably get a lousy cast. Three Stargate series in a row with amazing characters... that's just not gonna happen. And the show itself will propably suck compared to Atlantis, and certanly SG-1. I mean, it's located on a damn ship?! And they ain't got no contact with earth?! So, uh, how long will it go on like that? And when they do get things straightened out, won't that just be the end of the series?

They should have just killed off the Wraith and flown off with Atlantis to a new galaxy. But nooo, the idiots had to cancel a great show. I'll watch Universe, but It'll be crap next to Atlantis.

I don't get why folks feel obligated to give the show a chance. It's tv. Just don't turn it on. It's like people that are saying give it a chance just want us to line up (well sit down) and be sold tv ads and huge cable bills.

I mean what's the point? I really LOVED SGA and SG1 and heck lots of Sci Fi.

I don't see any reason to feel some loyalty to a franchise or some obligation to watch every possible show incarnation. It's like-- watch CSI... watch CSI Miami... watch Law and Order... watch Law and Order Criminal Intent. Why?

Remember when Malozzi called folks lemmings, 1, no almost 2 years ago? What is the point of being a lemming?

'They' say watch and you watch?
'They' say it's Stargate and you jump up and down and start berating folks that aren't even vaguely interested.

Maybe it is my advanced age but I tell you-- if I get into a show I will make an effort to watch it-- I don't intend on turning on the tv and mindlessly stare at it because it is Stargate.

Oh and Gforce, I agree with you-- sorry for quoting you and tacking a rant onto it.

amconway
August 25th, 2008, 04:41 PM
yea it was a big slap in the face for me,
like literally, he came to my house, and slapped me acrose the face.......
and then he calls me a junkie!
Lol!

the fifth man
August 25th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Nothing will really make me feel better about losing SGA. Heck, I still miss SG-1 as a weekly show too. But I am not going to take out my frustration on SGU. I am definitely going to give this third installment in the franchise a fair shot.

amconway
August 25th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I still miss SG-1 as a weekly show
**Sigh** Me too. :(

Flyboy
August 26th, 2008, 12:18 AM
That is so not true. I won't be tuning into SGU-- I am not loyal to the Stargate franchise. I watch shows I like.

Seriously. I watch 1 show a week. SGA... well, I also watch mythbusters when they are busting some cool myth... and CNN.

I guess that's just what happens when you reach my advanced age (I am 28). Anyway, I've been told that SGU isn't for my demographic.

Why would I bother to 'give it a chance'?
I didn't say you would be tuning in. I said you'd be sticking around. On the board. The Sg1 fans did when SG1 got cancelled even if they didn't like SGA. I was implying that most of the SGA fans would be mature enough to not leave the board in a huff because of SGU.

Am I wrong?

marli
August 26th, 2008, 12:22 AM
i'm loyal to the stargate franchise, i buy the dvds of sg1 movie, dvds of s5 and movie SGA, but SGU nope, I would never look, or would buy nothing, and we are out target anyway.

Kribby
August 26th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I didn't say you would be tuning in. I said you'd be sticking around. On the board. The Sg1 fans did when SG1 got cancelled even if they didn't like SGA. I was implying that most of the SGA fans would be mature enough to not leave the board in a huff because of SGU.

Am I wrong?

Yes you are wrong.

It has nothing to do with maturity. My life doesn't revolve around tv. I am not wedded to a franchise.

I watch what I want. And if my show isn't there I don't watch.

TV shows are not interchangeable. This is what I mean.

Why would people read boards about SGU if they don't watch SGU? I read this thread because I was curious if folks had some new news about SGU-- I was particularly interested if they knew if Malozzi would be involved in the show. Instead I found people whining about how people should watch SGU

-- because it is Stargate
-- because we should give all tv a chance

blah blah blah.

I can't even fathom why someone would want to push that point. It is like they are saying, "Watch TV! Watch ANYTHING!"

I do not think people should revolve their lives around tv.

It is frankly bizarre that anyone would say to anyone, 'just because SGA has been canceled DON'T WORRY there is still something to watch!'

Don't folks have something better to do? For real.

I don't read boards about shows I don't watch.

Who would waste their time like that?

Flyboy
August 26th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Yes you are wrong.

It has nothing to do with maturity. My life doesn't revolve around tv. I am not wedded to a franchise.

I watch what I want. And if my show isn't there I don't watch.

TV shows are not interchangeable. This is what I mean.

Why would people read boards about SGU if they don't watch SGU? I read this thread because I was curious if folks had some new news about SGU-- I was particularly interested if they knew if Malozzi would be involved in the show. Instead I found people whining about how people should watch SGU

-- because it is Stargate
-- because we should give all tv a chance

blah blah blah.

I can't even fathom why someone would want to push that point. It is like they are saying, "Watch TV! Watch ANYTHING!"

I do not think people should revolve their lives around tv.

It is frankly bizarre that anyone would say to anyone, 'just because SGA has been canceled DON'T WORRY there is still something to watch!'

Don't folks have something better to do? For real.

I don't read boards about shows I don't watch.

Who would waste their time like that?
GAH. Point. Following. You. Still. Not.

The boards. The forum. GATEWORLD!!!!

I am NOT trying to argue you'll read the SGU sections, nor am I saying HERE'S SOME TV! WATCH IT!

I was saying you probably wouldn't just leave GATEWORLD because SGA is no longer on the air, much like the SG1 fans haven't left GATEWORLD because SG1 is on the air. Even if they don't read the SGA sections.

The maturity comment was about leaving in protest, not replacing shows.

I quite understand life not revolving around TV. Mine certainly doesn't. I like you, watch very little TV these days, at any one point of the year, it's usually two shows a week. The rest of my time is spent doing more important things.

andr3w_iii
August 26th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Its true that while the SGU has not even started shooting or casting,it is the way they came about with it i have said that tptb think fans are nothing more than junkies that will watch anything with Stargate in the title. would have been willing to give SGU=Voyager :mckay:a go, don't know about anyone else in here but been though of as an addict doesn't inspire confidence or makes a good selling point. wont be watching this show not because SGA was canceled that was more like a kick to the teeth but it makes me sick that TPTB think i am a junkie.

Were no one has gone before? ooops!

Kribby
August 26th, 2008, 03:00 AM

I am NOT trying to argue you'll read the SGU sections, nor am I saying HERE'S SOME TV! WATCH IT!

I was saying you probably wouldn't just leave GATEWORLD because SGA is no longer on the air, much like the SG1 fans haven't left GATEWORLD because SG1 is on the air. Even if they don't read the SGA sections.

I quite understand life not revolving around TV. Mine certainly doesn't. I like you, watch very little TV these days, at any one point of the year, it's usually two shows a week. The rest of my time is spent doing more important things.

Ah. Okay. I agree with you then. Yeah. I'll still peruse the gateworld forumns for info and stuff... and I'll check updates for SGA or SG1 movies.

unluckynumber11
August 26th, 2008, 05:03 AM

lol i am watching that episode right now :D

annetten
August 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM
of course as soon as people start to enjoy & love stargate universe that will get dumped as well. :(

exactly!!!!!!

amconway
August 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blencathra
of course as soon as people start to enjoy & love stargate universe that will get dumped as well.

exactly!!!!!!

Well, that also applies to dating, doesn't mean it's not worth the risk... Er, mostly... ;)

Khentkawes
August 26th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Well, I could probably be classified as an "SG-1 only fan," and I certainly didn't leave the fandom world. And I will watch SGU to see what it's like.

I was never thrilled with Atlantis. I watched the episodes when they aired, but was generally disappointed with SGA from the beginning. So the cancellation didn't bother me. I literally, don't care. I can sympathize with those who do care, because I was upset when SG-1 was canceled, but I also think some people need to chill out and (as the thread title states) give SGU a chance. Or not. It's up to you. If you don't like it, fine. Don't watch it. Or only watch it casually as I did with Atlantis. But it makes no sense to act like SGU was intended as a personal attack against all SGA fans.

I would agree that some of what we've been told about SGU is worrisome, but other comments have made me excited. So I'm cautiously optimistic. And I'm more than willing to promote healthy discussion/critical debate.

But on the topic of treating the fans like junkies... they probably get that impression from the flood of emails that appeared in their in-boxes hours after the news hit the internet. I'm not trying to criticize the Save SGA campaign, I'm just saying that TPTB probably have a very different perspective on the events of the past week.

andr3w_iii
August 27th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Well, I could probably be classified as an "SG-1 only fan," and I certainly didn't leave the fandom world. And I will watch SGU to see what it's like.

I was never thrilled with Atlantis. I watched the episodes when they aired, but was generally disappointed with SGA from the beginning. So the cancellation didn't bother me. I literally, don't care. I can sympathize with those who do care, because I was upset when SG-1 was canceled, but I also think some people need to chill out and (as the thread title states) give SGU a chance. Or not. It's up to you. If you don't like it, fine. Don't watch it. Or only watch it casually as I did with Atlantis. But it makes no sense to act like SGU was intended as a personal attack against all SGA fans.

I would agree that some of what we've been told about SGU is worrisome, but other comments have made me excited. So I'm cautiously optimistic. And I'm more than willing to promote healthy discussion/critical debate.

But on the topic of treating the fans like junkies... they probably get that impression from the flood of emails that appeared in their in-boxes hours after the news hit the internet. I'm not trying to criticize the Save SGA campaign, I'm just saying that TPTB probably have a very different perspective on the events of the past week.

i don't know what world u come from but when network executives say ah yeah they will be happy when they get their next fix of Stargate means to you but that is comparing fans to addicts there are so many other ways he could have said that but hey if u like been called a junkie that says a lot about u.

VinceB
August 27th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I will never understand why fans of Atlantis say "I'll never watch Universe because of this!"

What does that solve other than hurting the entire Stargate Franchise? It won't bring SG-1 or Atlantis back. And if Universe does poorly, it won't increase the number of DVD movies. In fact, it might hurt it.

Give the show a chance. If you don't like it, don't watch it. But don't write it off because you're mad Atlantis was canceled.

On another note, don't think the producers are out to get you cause Atlantis was canceled. You might be in the group who loved the show (i'm in the group too), but there were just as many who were unsatisfied. It not a case of "Well, this show is popular, let's cancel it!" That kind of thinking is just not logical.

Dimbo_Sama
August 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM
It's like people don't pay attention to anything and just shoot off their mouths.

It is very very ignorant to announce SGU a DAY after SGA gets cancelled. It's like saying they won't stick to watching Stargate if they miss a year of it. Which is bull. Dr. Who's taking a year out that doesn't mean I'm not gonna watch it when it comes back.

I personally think the film, maybe 2 over next year, and then SGU in 2010 would of been a better move. but I'm still gonna give it a chance. To dissmiss something before you seen it doesn't apply to Stargate and it makes SGA fans seem like Whiny *****es. Be Thankful, they could of just cut it off dead with no films or anything.

Dissmissing things before they air should only be reserved for anything with Ricky Gervase Steve Coogan or Jerry Sinefeld in it. (lol)

Ikaros
August 27th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I will never understand why fans of Atlantis say "I'll never watch Universe because of this!"

What does that solve other than hurting the entire Stargate Franchise? It won't bring SG-1 or Atlantis back. And if Universe does poorly, it won't increase the number of DVD movies. In fact, it might hurt it.

Give the show a chance. If you don't like it, don't watch it. But don't write it off because you're mad Atlantis was canceled.

On another note, don't think the producers are out to get you cause Atlantis was canceled. You might be in the group who loved the show (i'm in the group too), but there were just as many who were unsatisfied. It not a case of "Well, this show is popular, let's cancel it!" That kind of thinking is just not logical.

Read Brad Wright's interview here at Gateworld. He says that they canseled Atlantis while it was still a favourite and with high rates, because they thought that they could make more money if they started making Atlantis movies. He also says that they wanted to go more "mainstrem" , meaning go more soap opera style, Like Sci fi's boss said in another interview, the channel needed to keep the BSG fans, who are soap opera fans(his words).
Atlantis was doing great in rates this year, like the year before etc. It won a People's Choice Award but nobody seemed to care about the people!!!
Their pockets mean more. This is insulting to their fans.
No way i am giving them a chance!! i mean nothing to any of them of course, but i feel good saying this !!
And stop all that "franchise" talk!!!!! What are you people? free will viewers or .... followers?
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

Khentkawes
August 27th, 2008, 11:46 AM
i don't know what world u come from but when network executives say ah yeah they will be happy when they get their next fix of Stargate means to you but that is comparing fans to addicts there are so many other ways he could have said that but hey if u like been called a junkie that says a lot about u.

I never said that the execs weren't using an "addiction" analogy to describe SG fans. I did say that they may have gotten the impression that SG fans are similar to addicts because of the massive amounts of hate mail they have received in the past week. As fans, we see that as being proactive and expressing our opinions. As TV execs, they probably see it as a bit on the obsessive side.

Yes, they probably should have been a bit more careful with their words, but I think it's an overreaction to act as though that one phrase was meant as a personal attack. TPTB (including the execs at Sci-Fi and MGM) know that they need the fans. But they are also looking at the big picture and the long term development of Stargate. That's a perspective that is hard for us as fans to see, especially if we start taking their decisions personally.

It is very very ignorant to announce SGU a DAY after SGA gets cancelled. It's like saying they won't stick to watching Stargate if they miss a year of it.

I agree that the timing was insensitive to the fans (as was the timing when SG-1 was canceled). But I don't think they meant it as a slap in the face. They probably intended it more as a reassurance that this wouldn't be the end of Stargate.

Ikaros
August 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM

It is not a matter of "fantom". It is a matter of respect. I don't give a S*** on their prespective. Their prespective lies in their pockets.
You admit that you're not an Atlantis fan , so i don't think you can understant what it it to have your favourite show canceled in his best season(judging by the rates) and while all his story arcs are still very much progressing. Your favourite show was cancelled after 10 years !!!, they changed channel to save it. Now they're dropping Stargate fans for BSG fans.
How can you feel OK with this?

VinceB
August 27th, 2008, 12:14 PM
And stop all that "franchise" talk!!!!! What are you people? free will viewers or .... followers?
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

I'm a free will viewer who has chosen to give SGU a chance because I like the concept, the premise, the continuity, franchise, whatever you want to call it. Seems to me like you're trying to get everyone to follow YOU not to watch the show.

The writers also said it was not a case of "Well we need to cancel Atlantis so we can do Universe." They made the decision to cancel Atlantis and as a result of that decision, it opened the door for Universe.

And face it, all the people who loved Atlantis had the same problem with people who would not watch it because they were pissed SG-1 was canceled.

And if you think about it, who are you hurting if you don't give it a chance? Certainly not Sci Fi. They'll just cancel it and move on the next show that makes money. Where as the actors and writers of SG will be out of a job if there are no more SG shows or movies.

Ikaros
August 27th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I am not trying to make anyone folow me. I am pissed BY THE WAY THEY'RE TREATING THEIR FANS!!
Read behind the lines. Don't take what they say as "fact". Do notice the FACTS. Atlantis was making money, they just saw a way to make more and please the channel and MGM. And they did so by dropping the fans. And they ARE treating people like cattle with the way the choose to present SGU and the way they talk about it.

Khentkawes
August 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM
It is not a matter of "fantom". It is a matter of respect.

When I commented about not leaving the fandom, I was responding to an earlier discussion about whether or not fans would abandon sites like Gateworld due to the cancellation of Atlantis.

I don't give a S*** on their prespective. Their prespective lies in their pockets.

That's your prerogative. Personally, I do care about the network's perspective because it gives me insight into why they made this decision and where they are planning to go next.

You admit that you're not an Atlantis fan , so i don't think you can understant what it it to have your favourite show canceled in his best season(judging by the rates) and while all his story arcs are still very much progressing. Your favourite show was cancelled after 10 years !!!, they changed channel to save it. Now they're dropping Stargate fans for BSG fans.
How can you feel OK with this?

You're right, I'm not a die-hard Atlantis fan. But I have watched the show consistently, and I have enjoyed what we've seen of season 5 so far.

My favorite show was canceled three years after I started watching it. It was also canceled directly after one of the highest rated episodes ever. And I was just as upset then as you are now. I swore that Sci-Fi had made a huge mistake and shot themselves in the foot by favoring Atlantis over SG-1, because I believed SG-1 had a lot of life left in it, as you clearly believe Atlantis has a lot of life left in it. So I may not agree with everything you say, but I can sympathize with your perspective.

And if it turns out that SGU looks like a carbon copy of BSG, if it turns out to be unoriginal and a blatant attempt to copy the style of BSG and abandon the style of Stargate, I will be the first one to jump ship. But at this point, we don't know for sure what the show will look like. So I will remain cautiously optimistic, and watch SGU. The writers may surprise everyone and it may turn out to be something better than anyone expected. But we won't know until it actually airs.

I'm a free will viewer who has chosen to give SGU a chance because I like the concept, the premise, the continuity, franchise, whatever you want to call it.

Me too. If I blindly followed other viewers, I would be watching BSG and Heroes, both of which bore me to tears. I watch what I find amusing. I'm hoping SGU will exceed everyone's expectations.

Ikaros
August 27th, 2008, 12:48 PM
OK read Haw's interview and Writgh"s to.
There are a lot of things to do when your favourite show is beeing cancelled.
Following those people into everything they do isn't one of them. not for me.
I'll go canyoning, diving and maybe some traveling ;/
I just don't get that thing.. that "franchise support thing"
you've got to be kidding me....
But maybe i can't understant the american way of thinking, my way is to old fashioned

VinceB
August 27th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I am not trying to make anyone folow me. I am pissed BY THE WAY THEY'RE TREATING THEIR FANS!!

While I do not agree with the cancelling of SGA, I think if they didn't care about the fans, there wouldn't be any movies. Second, if by fans you mean fans of SGA, then yes, we're all disappointed, but that's no reason to ditch a completely different show just because it's on the same network and has the name Stargate in front of it. If by fans, you mean fans of Stargate, i'm sure there are several fans of stargate who did not like Atlantis and the decision to start Stargate Universe is welcomed by them.

Read behind the lines. Don't take what they say as "fact". Do notice the FACTS. Atlantis was making money, they just saw a way to make more and please the channel and MGM. And they did so by dropping the fans. And they ARE treating people like cattle with the way the choose to present SGU and the way they talk about it.

You quoted Brad Wright earlier saying the decision was about money, but you must have missed this

"BW: Look, if they weren't in complete agreement on where to go next, if it wasn't a joint decision, there wouldn't be a movie deal already in place."

So if Sci Fi and MGM are just all evil and money grubbing, then I guess Brad Wright is too? And that you should sell all your SGA DVDs because obviously it wasn't about you as the fan, it was all about money.

Now if you really believe all that, then, fine obviously there is no pleasing you, but for those who love Stargate because of WHAT it is and not WHY it is, we will accept that everyone who made the decision, did so with the fans in mind which is why they are making a 3rd series for those who want that and movies for those who prefer SG-1 and SGA.

Khentkawes
August 27th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I did read the interviews with Brad Wright and David Howe.

And I was agreeing with you. Watch what you like, don't just follow the crowd. I completely agree!

But in this case, we haven't seen anything of SGU yet. So fans are making decisions about whether to watch or not based on preconceived notions. In fact, we don't know if we'll like it or not because at this moment it doesn't exist. Even the statements from Wright and Howe are just preliminary ideas that could change later in the development process.

But for the moment, I do have other things to do. I have a work meeting so it's time to sign off. Hope you all have fun with the debate, and I'll check in later.

:cameron:

Ikaros
August 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Are you both intentionally ignore the BSG and Soap opera comments that Howe made?
I hope not...

Ikaros
August 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I can't put it in my mind..how can a Stargate fan or just a Sci fi fan could ever go for something like that? Soap and sci fi stories dont go together...

VinceB
August 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Are you both intentionally ignore the BSG and Soap opera comments that Howe made?
I hope not...

No one's ignoring it, but if you recall what Brad Wright said, if they did the "Go off world, meet some displaced humans, Goa'uld does a bad thing" deal every year, they would not have made it 10 years. So yes, Universe will be different, but dismissing it as bad before you even watch it is not fair. For all I know, I won't like it and then I'll stop watching it, but I'm at least going to watch enough to make an informed decision about it and not base it off of a decision about Atlantis being canceled.

jenks
August 27th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I can't put it in my mind..how can a Stargate fan or just a Sci fi fan could ever go for something like that? Soap and sci fi stories dont go together...

He never said anything of the sort, you're jumping to conclusions.

VinceB
August 27th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Obviously they do or BSG would not be popular.

Major_Griff
August 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I like how every time a new Stargate series comes out the haters call it Stargate Voyager. That's what people called SGA way back when.

Khentkawes
August 27th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I hope not...

I think I just figured out where our misunderstanding is coming from. Personally, I agree with you. I don't think soap opera and sci-fi should go into the same sentence. But Howe was talking about space opera, which is something else entirely. Here's the relevant quote from GW's article.

Howe also wants Stargate Universe to help fill the "space opera" gap left when network jewel Battlestar Galactica goes off the air next spring. While of course Stargate will never be the dark and brooding character drama that Battlestar is, Universe might be a little more so than SG-1 or Atlantis.

"As a network, obviously we look at Battlestar Galactica, that's set the standard in terms of tense character drama. Stargate does not have the intensity of a Battlestar Galactica. But it may well be somewhere in between. Brad [Wright] and Robert [Cooper] are very eager to keep the action and adventure and the sense of humor [in Stargate Universe]. But I think there's an opportunity to maybe inject a bit more dramatic intensity into the series. But that's obviously a conversation for them as they start to script and move into development."

As I understand it, the term space opera refers to an epic type of story that takes place in space. Star Wars would be considered a space opera. That does not mean it is anything like soap operas, which are usually characterized by sappy romance and bad writing. Yes, I know, it's confusing. I've taken to calling shows that combine space opera with soap opera "space soaps." Which probably only increases the confusion. ;)

When Howe talks about his hopes for SGU, he talks about character drama and intensity, which doesn't necessarily mean an excessive focus on the characters' romantic relationships. They can have plenty of character drama without having sappy romance.

When I first read the above quote, I was also worried about SGU becoming too much like BSG. But now that I've re-read it, Howe seems to go out of his way to say that Stargate will never be just like BSG. They might have some similarities, but as he points out, Stargate is not as dark, and relies heavily on action and humor. Those things aren't going to change. It also sounds like BW and RCC are willing to go to bat for us in order to keep the same humor and adventure aspects alive in the next Stargate show.

Actually, I just talked myself into being excited about SGU (when until now I've just been cautiously optimistic). :)

Khentkawes
August 27th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I like how every time a new Stargate series comes out the haters call it Stargate Voyager. That's what people called SGA way back when.

I noticed that too. Somehow "stranded in another galaxy" translates to Stargate Voyager. With Atlantis, I recall people even comparing Weir to Janeway. In this case, it would seem more logical to compare SG:Universe to SG:Atlantis.

Lt.Col.Errandboy
August 27th, 2008, 07:47 PM

Actually, I'm liking the name "Stargate 90210" for SGU...especially if they're gonna populate the darn show with teenybopper airheads to "attract a younger audience"...:rolleyes:

Major_Griff
August 27th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Actually, I'm liking the name "Stargate 90210" for SGU...especially if they're gonna populate the darn show with teenybopper airheads to "attract a younger audience"...:rolleyes:

I really think people are way, way overreacting to the younger audience thing. I doubt its gonna be teenyboppers as you say. If I had to guess, I'd say they want more of that 18-35 demographic which is supposedly so important and not 14 year olds or whatever people are thinking.

Lt.Col.Errandboy
August 27th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I really think people are way, way overreacting to the younger audience thing. I doubt its gonna be teenyboppers as you say. If I had to guess, I'd say they want more of that 18-35 demographic which is supposedly so important and not 14 year olds or whatever people are thinking.

The blurbs said "18-25"... and considering the number of over 30s Stargate fans there are, it's aiming at a pretty low demographic...and alienating the fans who have been with the franchise since the darn movie was released in 1994...:rolleyes:'

I will find it seriously illogical to have 'young' crew...especially as expedition leaders and senior military...

Major_Griff
August 27th, 2008, 08:07 PM
The blurbs said "18-25"... and considering the number of over 30s Stargate fans there are, it's aiming at a pretty low demographic...and alienating the fans who have been with the franchise since the darn movie was released in 1994...:rolleyes:

Hmm well I'm 19 and I don't really like the sound of them going for a younger audience either, and I'm in the demographic they want! But Like I've said before I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I actually see the show. I think everyone should until at the very least we get more info, find out who is in the cast, and see some production stills.

Lt.Col.Errandboy
August 27th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Hmm well I'm 19 and I don't really like the sound of them going for a younger audience either, and I'm in the demographic they want! But Like I've said before I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I actually see the show. I think everyone should until at the very least we get more info, find out who is in the cast, and see some production stills.

yes, but you are obviously in the "intelligent" young demographic because you are already hooked on the shows. I'm worried they're trying to entice the bimbo airheads who are not into sci-fi, by putting airheads & 'shippy fluff' in the mix.

I'm willing to give SGU a go, but only if they maintain some semblance of reality - I don't buy into this 'young explorers' crud - they wouldn't have the necessary credentials to get selected for interstellar expeditions in the first place...

the fifth man
August 27th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Yeah, I will be very interested in who they cast for this show, especially the lead character.

Major_Griff
August 27th, 2008, 09:00 PM
yes, but you are obviously in the "intelligent" young demographic because you are already hooked on the shows. I'm worried they're trying to entice the bimbo airheads who are not into sci-fi, by putting airheads & 'shippy fluff' in the mix.

I'm willing to give SGU a go, but only if they maintain some semblance of reality - I don't buy into this 'young explorers' crud - they wouldn't have the necessary credentials to get selected for interstellar expeditions in the first place...

I share that worry as well, but I trust BW and Coop enough to believe they won't do that. Hopefully when the cast list comes out they'll show me that my trust was well placed.

Lt.Col.Errandboy
August 27th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I share that worry as well, but I trust BW and Coop enough to believe they won't do that. Hopefully when the cast list comes out they'll show me that my trust was well placed.

NOT if they cast Dean Cain!! :lol:

Ancavge
August 27th, 2008, 09:43 PM
yawn...

Ancavge
August 27th, 2008, 10:10 PM
no i dont want to give sgu chances!!! :weiranime22: it for younger people only, everybody would laugh at me if they caught me watching it!! :weiranime20::hammond03::jack_new_anime06: :weiranime32: and im only 21 NOOOO!!!! PLEASE DONT MAKE ME WATCH IT :danielanime08: ps jk

jenks
August 27th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Do they even know they're going anywhere other than the ship? Is the ship even in another galaxy? My understanding was that the ninth chevron dials a ship, a team is sent, and before anyone can do anything they're on their way. I could be wrong though.

andr3w_iii
August 27th, 2008, 11:17 PM
that's what its supposed to be, thought the show was too much like the Daedalus variation episode on SGA mind u on a bigger stage. wonder how long they will last or this show?

Lt.Col.Errandboy
August 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Do they even know they're going anywhere other than the ship? Is the ship even in another galaxy? My understanding was that the ninth chevron dials a ship, a team is sent, and before anyone can do anything they're on their way. I could be wrong though.

OMG...The Goonies in Outer Space???? :eek:

Major_Griff
August 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
NOT if they cast Dean Cain!! :lol:

God no!!! Lolz!

Linda06
August 28th, 2008, 10:17 AM
The blurbs said "18-25"... and considering the number of over 30s Stargate fans there are, it's aiming at a pretty low demographic...and alienating the fans who have been with the franchise since the darn movie was released in 1994...:rolleyes:'

I will find it seriously illogical to have 'young' crew...especially as expedition leaders and senior military...

Well that's folks like me dumped out on the street then....It seems i'm too old at 35 to watch it :mckay: Not that i was gonna anyway :p

Ikaros
August 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM
No one's ignoring it, but if you recall what Brad Wright said, if they did the "Go off world, meet some displaced humans, Goa'uld does a bad thing" deal every year, they would not have made it 10 years. So yes, Universe will be different, but dismissing it as bad before you even watch it is not fair. For all I know, I won't like it and then I'll stop watching it, but I'm at least going to watch enough to make an informed decision about it and not base it off of a decision about Atlantis being canceled.

We have an expression here: "you don't honor my Cristhmas i won't honor your Easter" i hope it makes sense in english.
They choose that show when the time to pick among the two came.
They ignored the fans, the awards those fans gave them. The fact that if it wasn't for Atlantis the whole "franchise" woul've sunk long before.
I choose not to watch, because they chose to ignore me so they could please a different kind of audience.
It's simple ..

Ikaros
August 28th, 2008, 12:07 PM
He never said anything of the sort, you're jumping to conclusions.

Howe did. read the interview.

Ikaros
August 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Obviously they do or BSG would not be popular.

But it lasted less seasons than SGA and far lesser than the entire Stargate.
Btw it sucked. Nothing to do with sci fi. It was sick all around.

Linda06
August 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
We have an expression here: "you don't honor my Cristhmas i won't honor your Easter" i hope it makes sense in english.
They choose that show when the time to pick among the two came.
They ignored the fans, the awards those fans gave them. The fact that if it wasn't for Atlantis the whole "franchise" woul've sunk long before.
I choose not to watch, because they chose to ignore me so they could please a different kind of audience.
It's simple ..

A big ol fat DITTO!!!

Ikaros
August 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I think I just figured out where our misunderstanding is coming from. Personally, I agree with you. I don't think soap opera and sci-fi should go into the same sentence. But Howe was talking about space opera, which is something else entirely. Here's the relevant quote from GW's article.

As I understand it, the term space opera refers to an epic type of story that takes place in space. Star Wars would be considered a space opera. That does not mean it is anything like soap operas, which are usually characterized by sappy romance and bad writing. Yes, I know, it's confusing. I've taken to calling shows that combine space opera with soap opera "space soaps." Which probably only increases the confusion. ;)

When Howe talks about his hopes for SGU, he talks about character drama and intensity, which doesn't necessarily mean an excessive focus on the characters' romantic relationships. They can have plenty of character drama without having sappy romance.

When I first read the above quote, I was also worried about SGU becoming too much like BSG. But now that I've re-read it, Howe seems to go out of his way to say that Stargate will never be just like BSG. They might have some similarities, but as he points out, Stargate is not as dark, and relies heavily on action and humor. Those things aren't going to change. It also sounds like BW and RCC are willing to go to bat for us in order to keep the same humor and adventure aspects alive in the next Stargate show.

Actually, I just talked myself into being excited about SGU (when until now I've just been cautiously optimistic). :)

He does have a way to hide the facts. He wouldn't go out to the people and say it clear. He had to use those words. What really happens is different.
so facts:
BSG ending at season 4( am i right?)
SG1 movies don't go as well as expected , no matter what they say,
SGA on the contrary goes better every year
SGA movies are a nice idea for money, since SG1 is now to old to sell itself
SGU can be a nice salad to please everybody. Both bsg and stargate fans.
Everybody is happy yeaah....
Noooooooooooo NO sci fi anymore.
SGA had far to many stories to tell. It was on it's peak. That was a sloughter.

Jumper_One
August 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM
He does have a way to hide the facts. He wouldn't go out to the people and say it clear. He had to use those words. What really happens is different.
so facts:

yup

how so?

the numbers have improved, that is correct

huh? Aot and Continuum were pretty successful

Ikaros
August 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM
A big ol fat DITTO!!!

translation plz :mckay:
what is dito?

Jumper_One
August 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
what is dito?

it means she agrees with your post ;)

Linda06
August 28th, 2008, 12:37 PM
what is dito?

Oh heh...Sorry....Yeah what jumper says...It means i agree :D

Ikaros
August 28th, 2008, 12:38 PM
yup

[QUOTE=Jumper_One;8841229]how so?
Don't tell me you're happy with them.... a lot of things they could have tell and they didn't.

the numbers have improved, that is correct
The quality to. If you weren't stuck to SG1 stereotypes you could've seen this.And since when numpers don't count to those people?

huh? Aot and Continuum were pretty successful
In america?only?Atlantis was Really successfull all around the world.

Ikaros
August 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
it means she agrees with your post ;)

thnx , :)

Jumper_One
August 28th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Don't tell me you're happy with them....

I enjoyed both movies

a lot of things they could have tell and they didn't.

yeah so?

The quality to.

agreed however that may only be your opinion while the improvement of the show's ratings is a fact

If you weren't stuck to SG1 stereotypes you could've seen this.

me :confused:

And since when numpers don't count to those people?

SCI FI or MGM?

In america?only?

yup, the numbers don't include international sales

Atlantis was Really successfull all around the world

AFIAK that's correct

thnx , :)

you're welcome :)

VinceB
August 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
But it lasted less seasons than SGA and far lesser than the entire Stargate.
Btw it sucked. Nothing to do with sci fi. It was sick all around.

It ended cause they only planned for it to go 4 years. They already have one movie and are planning a 2nd and a prequel series.

And I agree it was more drama than Sci Fi, but it was still Sci Fi whether you liked it or not.

Khentkawes
August 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM
so facts:
SGU can be a nice salad to please everybody. Both bsg and stargate fans.
Everybody is happy yeaah....
Noooooooooooo NO sci fi anymore.
SGA had far to many stories to tell. It was on it's peak. That was a sloughter.

Fact: BSG is ending.
Fact: Atlantis was not renewed for season 6.
Fact: SGU has been approved for production in 2009.

Those are the facts. Everything else is opinions, or at best, possible interpretations of those facts. It may be your opinion that the SG-1 movies didn't do well, but as far as we know they are selling very well in the States. Now you raised a good point, since I have no idea how well they will sell overseas. We don't hear about those numbers (which I think is stupid, since Stargate is internationally known). But both movies did or will air in the UK and will now air on Sci-Fi, which means those TV networks paid for the rights to air them, therefore the movies make more money than from sales alone. So according to profits, they are probably doing well, especially since BW is writing a third movie. They wouldn't be doing that if the movies were doing poorly.

What I highlighted in blue... those are opinions, not facts. Everyone has a right to their own opinions, but that also means that other people have a right to disagree with those opinions. So I guess in this case, we should just agree to disagree.

VinceB
August 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Look, the point is this.

Atlantis was canceled. A lot of fans of that show are pissed off. They knew it was going to piss some people off. But they could have made the show for 20 years and some people still would have been pissed off. I mean look at SG-1, it went 10 years and people were upset when it was canceled.

On the other hand, you'll hear just as many fans of SG-1 talk about how "SG-1 went too long. They should have ended it at season 8. I didn't like seasons 9 and 10." And yet season 8 there was a big ratings increase so they 'listened to the fans' and made two more years and while some people loved it, others hated it.

So MGM and Sci Fi are in a no win situation. They're going to either piss people off by making the show until they feel it's lost it's edge or they'll cancel it when it's still good so they can capitalize on the show in other forms. Either way someone will be pissed.

What does that have to do with Stargate Universe? In a perfect world, people will realize that one does not have to do with the other. In reality, the group that is pissed will rail against it just because they're pissed and have to blame someone cause they're pissed.

Khentkawes
August 28th, 2008, 01:22 PM
The quality to. If you weren't stuck to SG1 stereotypes you could've seen this.

me :confused:

No, Jumper, I think that comment was directed at me. If it was... well I'll take it. It doesn't bother me. ;) I have preferences in what I watch, and I'm not going to deny that SG-1 fits my preferences better than Atlantis does.

Though, for the record, I do think Atlantis has been better this season (what we've seen of it) than it has for the past few years. I still think there are some problems with it, but on the whole, the writing seems to be improving.

Jumper_One
August 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM

correct but let's not forget that SGA's ratings have been improving, that's also a fact

No, Jumper, I think that comment was directed at me.

oh ok :)

big-boss-91
August 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
why the british always takes the back seat? why dont we british take over instead of the stupid american sci fi... that way they'll be more british characters and the americans would end up as the red shirts!! hehe

Infinatus
August 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM
why the british always takes the back seat? why dont we british take over instead of the stupid american sci fi... that way they'll be more british characters and the americans would end up as the red shirts!! hehe

MGM owns the rights to the Stargate franchise, as they're an American company you can piece the rest together. Also, even if SGA was broadcast by a British company it still would have been canceled after season 5 to make room for SGU because MGM was the one that pulled the plug this time, not Sci Fi.

Linda06
August 29th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Well if i win the Euro tonight (it's up to 75 million i think) maybe i'll buy Stargate and it'll go on forever :D ;)

Ikaros
August 29th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Fact: BSG is ending.
Fact: SGU has been approved for production in 2009.

Those are the facts. Everything else is opinions, or at best, possible interpretations of those facts. It may be your opinion that the SG-1 movies didn't do well, but as far as we know they are selling very well in the States. Now you raised a good point, since I have no idea how well they will sell overseas. We don't hear about those numbers (which I think is stupid, since Stargate is internationally known). But both movies did or will air in the UK and will now air on Sci-Fi, which means those TV networks paid for the rights to air them, therefore the movies make more money than from sales alone. So according to profits, they are probably doing well, especially since BW is writing a third movie. They wouldn't be doing that if the movies were doing poorly.

What I highlighted in blue... those are opinions, not facts. Everyone has a right to their own opinions, but that also means that other people have a right to disagree with those opinions. So I guess in this case, we should just agree to disagree.

Would you disagree that Atlantis had a lot of stories to tell?
That it was on it's peak? ratings and quality where improving by the year!!

Infinatus
August 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Well if i win the Euro tonight (it's up to 75 million i think) maybe i'll buy Stargate and it'll go on forever :D ;)

Until the money runs out. :P

Ikaros
August 29th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Look, the point is this.

Atlantis was canceled. A lot of fans of that show are pissed off. They knew it was going to piss some people off. But they could have made the show for 20 years and some people still would have been pissed off. I mean look at SG-1, it went 10 years and people were upset when it was canceled.

On the other hand, you'll hear just as many fans of SG-1 talk about how "SG-1 went too long. They should have ended it at season 8. I didn't like seasons 9 and 10." And yet season 8 there was a big ratings increase so they 'listened to the fans' and made two more years and while some people loved it, others hated it.

So MGM and Sci Fi are in a no win situation. They're going to either piss people off by making the show until they feel it's lost it's edge or they'll cancel it when it's still good so they can capitalize on the show in other forms. Either way someone will be pissed.

What does that have to do with Stargate Universe? In a perfect world, people will realize that one does not have to do with the other. In reality, the group that is pissed will rail against it just because they're pissed and have to blame someone cause they're pissed.

After 10 years a show might get boring to some people, certainly the ones that are not absolute fans. That goes for shows with a certain story arc.Shows where a story with a bigining and an ending is told. You can't drag them.
SG1 wasn't this case, but it lost it's main character after 8 years, a character very much loved by the fans. The main reason the show was a hit in it's bigining .And with real science and evolution changing by the year, it was also hard to keep the show in the same formula without it looking OLD.
This wasn't the case with Atlantis either. Not only there are a lot of stories yet to be told(city unexplored, galaxy unexplored, relashionships unexplored etc.), but the kind of science introduced was still "fresh"and the image of Atlantis as a whole was still "cool". Actually it was the coolest of them all. My opinion .... i know. Still too may people think the same.

Linda06
August 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Until the money runs out. :P

Oh rats :mckay: Well at least it'll be on for a while then :D

After 10 years a show might get boring to some people, certainly the ones that are not absolute fans. That goes for shows with a certain story arc.Shows where a story with a bigining and an ending is told. You can't drag them.
SG1 wasn't this case, but it lost it's main character after 8 years, a character very much loved by the fans. The main reason the show was a hit in it's bigining .And with real science and evolution changing by the year, it was also hard to keep the show in the same formula without it looking OLD.
This wasn't the case with Atlantis either. Not only there are a lot of stories yet to be told(city unexplored, galaxy unexplored, relashionships unexplored etc.), but the kind of science introduced was still "fresh"and the image of Atlantis as a whole was still "cool". Actually it was the coolest of them all. My opinion .... i know. Still too may people think the same.

I missed Jack on SG-1..It wasn't the same without him :( But Atlantis still has loads of life left in it and it makes no sense to end it now....Oh wait they want to play with their new toy :mckay: Never mind!

Ikaros
August 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I am to old for that anyway 34 here, a granpa.

Linda06
August 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I am to old for that anyway 34 here, a granpa.

ha..I'm a year older...I'm 35 young one...I am way too old for it!

flynn1959
August 29th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Give SGU a chance? No chance!

Ikaros
August 29th, 2008, 02:48 PM
ha..I'm a year older...I'm 35 young one...I am way too old for it!

Hey there granma!!!! so what have you planed for your retirement

Cryowolf
August 29th, 2008, 03:17 PM

It'll go on for 50 episodes then you run out of cash :p

Linda06
August 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hey there granma!!!! so what have you planed for your retirement

hmm....Well I think we're supposed to go sit in a corner and just wither away ;)

It'll go on for 50 episodes then you run out of cash :p

Oh well...50 eps is better than nothing :D ;)

Cryowolf
August 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Oh well...50 eps is better than nothing :D ;)

Not to mention that buying the rights to the franchise will probably cost 750 million euro :p

I'm reminded of FarScape now though, how after it was canceled on a cliffhanger. It received fan support, sponsors and funding in order to be able to produce a mini-series to finish all the plotlines.

Ikaros
August 29th, 2008, 03:49 PM
TheY're treating an amazing show like a .... rotten tomato and a faithfull fan base(for 12 years most of them) like a bunch of rettired cops.
DID I MENTION HOW MAD I AM?

Linda06
August 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Not to mention that buying the rights to the franchise will probably cost 750 million euro :p

I'm reminded of FarScape now though, how after it was canceled on a cliffhanger. It received fan support, sponsors and funding in order to be able to produce a mini-series to finish all the plotlines.

Rats...So i'll just have to win the Euro a dozen times over...heh how hard can it be...

ahhhh Farscape.....I can't tell you how pissed i was at the way they ended this show.....But then they gave us the proper ending we deserved!

TheY're treating an amazing show like a .... rotten tomato and a faithfull fan base(for 12 years most of them) like a bunch of rettired cops.
DID I MENTION HOW MAD I AM?

I'm one of them...I've been a fan since the original movie...:eek: How long ago was that...And now I'm too old :confused:

Ikaros
August 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Well, i thought we agreed that we are old for tv dear! No tv, no extreme sports, no sport cars, no more crazy vacations in isolated greek ishlands (for me). No motorbikes.
Were should i go and drop dead ?

Linda06
August 29th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Well, i thought we agreed that we are old for tv dear! No tv, no extreme sports, no sport cars, no more crazy vacations in isolated greek ishlands (for me). No motorbikes.
Were should i go and drop dead ?

:eek: Aw darn...So we can't have any fun anymore....oh ok..I'll just go crawl in a corner and die now!http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sad/sad0064.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

Rosehawk
August 29th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I agree that the timing was insensitive to the fans (as was the timing when SG-1 was canceled). But I don't think they meant it as a slap in the face. They probably intended it more as a reassurance that this wouldn't be the end of Stargate.

I don't believe for one second that they were not aware of how much of the fan base would have seen this as a slap in the face....if they wanted to reassure the fans that it wouldn't be the end of Stargate they would have made the annoucement about SGU first and then given it a few weeks and then made the annoucement about Atlantis.

These people are skilled in manipulation of communications, they are in the business to draw attention to their projects, they have to understand the impact, heck they have seen it time and time again -Farscape, Firefly, Jericho, SG1 and now SGA on how fans will react. They know exactly what they are doing - why do you think we are getting a movie for SGA now - Fans got a miniseries from Farscape, a movie from Firefly and two from SG1 and another half of season of Jerico.
Timing of their annoucements gets the fanbase talking...that's what they want - keep it a tad bit controversal and people will keep talking and then after the anger subsides, the couriosity will take over and the hope is that people will watch the new show SGU.

I will give SGU a shot but not necessarily work my Friday evenings (or whatever night they choose) around it and if I wait to see it in syndication, then so be it, I will wait. I think Atlantis is ending way too soon (no I didn't expect 10 years, just another year or two).

Ikaros
August 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I am not talking about it for long now....
If we can't do nothing and they do cancel it... i 'll stop talking and watching and posting and everything

Ikaros
August 30th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Why are you surprised?
When the people who makes tv thing ONLY about making MONEYthen good shows get canceled.

renboy
September 1st, 2009, 02:00 PM
I'm definitely going to give SGU a chance (and actually quite excited about the show right now!)

I simply loved the first couple of seasons of Atlantis, but for me it went downhill from there- ford leaving was bad, weir leaving was really bad, then carson... then they ruined all the characters that I liked one by one - Sheppard became a superhero that can destroy a hive single handedly, McKay became annoyingly omnipotent, and don't get me started about Keller - Ronon was the only redeeming character, and unfortunately he got less and less focus on the show, until he turned to be a wraith killing grunt.
When it came to the 5th season, every episode that aired got me to say "*Sigh*... Now I need to watch another episode." - and I was even a bit relieved when the show got canceled (only when hearing about the new show - I didn't want the entire franchise to die).

So I'm happy now :)

puddlejumperOZ
September 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM
I think Messer's Wright & Cooper have lost the plot. They feel that by creating new Stargate platform and "younging it" they'll create a new audiance. D'oh, I think all they'll acheive is alienating a lot of the older fans.:cameron:

Eternal Density
September 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
I think Messer's Wright & Cooper have lost the plot. They feel that by creating new Stargate platform and "younging it" they'll create a new audiance. D'oh, I think all they'll acheive is alienating a lot of the older fans.:cameron:It's certain that not all prior Stargate fans will like the new series. But I don't agree that there will be no new audience to make for up the losses. I suppose those who have been alienated are having a difficult time believing that anyone could possibly like SGU, because they are bitter about not being catered to.

jenks
September 1st, 2009, 09:27 PM
I think Messer's Wright & Cooper have lost the plot. They feel that by creating new Stargate platform and "younging it" they'll create a new audiance. D'oh, I think all they'll acheive is alienating a lot of the older fans.:cameron:

The franchise doesn't have a young enough audience. How would you go about changing that?

SeaBee
September 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM
I do not understand why so many people are saying that SGU "killed" SGA. The lack of viewers killed it.
The show cost "A" amount of millions to make. MGM pay that and add "B" amount to make "C" amount. They then calculate how much of "C" amount they have to charge each company that wants to air the show.
The companies look at how much of their portion of "C" amount costs, adds "D" amount to make "E" amount then charge a portion of "E" amount to companies to have their ads run during the show. The advertisers look at how many people are viewing the show and decide if it is worth paying. If they decide it isn't worth it then they offer less "E" for the next year.
If "E" goes down then either "D" or "C" has to be reduced. But "D" is their profit and they don't want to reduce that, so "C" gets cut. If "C" goes down then MGM has to decide if they want to reduce "A" or "B". But "B" is their profit and they don't want to reduce that, so "A" gets cut.The new "A" is not enough to make the show so it gets shut down.
However the new "A" is enough to make a new show so that one gets made.

I know this is a horribly simplistic way to look at it, but it is more or less what happened.

PG15
September 1st, 2009, 10:31 PM
You lost me at B. :p

Oh, and just to head off the inevitable claim: yes, SGU costs 1 million dollars more to make than SGA - but that's SGA Season 1.

SeaBee
September 1st, 2009, 10:43 PM
You lost me at B. :p

Oh, and just to head off the inevitable claim: yes, SGU costs 1 million dollars more to make than SGA - but that's SGA Season 1.

Exactly. Each year the cost to make a show goes up. There often comes a point when it becomes uneconomic to make a show and it gets cancelled. Rare is the show that makes it to the end of a script run, these days. You only have to look at the number of shows that haven't even made it to the end of their first season before getting the plug pulled. Some don't even make it to air.

And with the current economic climate with so many companies with red numbers on their balance sheets (including MGM, who have several BILLION red numbers) this situation is unlikely to improve.

Eternal Density
September 1st, 2009, 11:55 PM
You lost me at B. :pYou did well, I was lost at I.

And with the current economic climate with so many companies with red numbers on their balance sheets (including MGM, who have several BILLION red numbers) this situation is unlikely to improve.How would anyone have the time to read that many numbers???

Detox
September 2nd, 2009, 12:03 AM
The franchise doesn't have a young enough audience. How would you go about changing that?

Exactly. I mean, it's not like they had a choice. Atlantis probably wouldn't have continued with or without SGU being made.

The demographics for the previous shows just weren't catching nearly as much young demos as BSG. And say what you will, but Stargate needs to make money to stay afloat. The current viewers for the show just weren't attractive enough to potential advertisers.

TPTB HAD to appeal to a younger audience so they can actually get the funding to continue making Stargate. In an age where television viewership has dropped vastly, and live action dramas are quickly being chopped for reality shows and game shows, Stargate had to do SOMETHING to compete with them for ad revenue.

If everyone keeps playing the game blame, then blame yourselves for not buying enough of the crap that's being advertised. If advertisers thought older viewers were worth something, then they'd be fine with a show that's strong in that demographic. But older viewers don't buy into advertising that easily, they don't appeal to big ad buyers so Stargate's left to 2nd rate advertisers.

Eternal Density
September 2nd, 2009, 03:34 AM
Exactly. I mean, it's not like they had a choice. Atlantis probably wouldn't have continued with or without SGU being made. And JM said in his latest blog post that SGU would have been made with or without Atlantis being canceled.
I suppose it was... :cool: destiny.

capricaabydos
September 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
I will definitely give SGU a chance, I didn't want to, because it is hard to let go the old show, and start a new era in stargate, but that doesn't mean in any way that I would not continue watching SG-1 and SGA or even buy the movies if they ever make new ones, I will watch the first season of SGU I don't know if I will like it, but I'm looking forward to it, only 31 days left until the show!

Orion Antreas
September 2nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
I will definitely give SGU a chance, I didn't want to, because it is hard to let go the old show, and start a new era in stargate, but that doesn't mean in any way that I would not continue watching SG-1 and SGA or even buy the movies if they ever make new ones, I will watch the first season of SGU I don't know if I will like it, but I'm looking forward to it, only 31 days left until the show!

And that is a good mindset to have. You are giving the benefit of the doubt. :)

Briangate78
September 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM

Looking at SGA's numbers for their final season. They got hit bad in the 18 to 34 age demo. Season 4 was much higher. That likely sent a few concerns, and now SGU is looking to focus on attracting new and younger viewers. I don't think they are trying to alienate older fans, just add new ones in addition to the exsisting fanbase of SG-1 and SGA.

Girlbot
September 2nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I am totally unspoiled about SGU, I still haen't read any spoilers, or info, or anything about the concept or the characters. I have seen a picture of the crew, but that's it. Believe me it hasn't been easy, but since SyFy is a bit devoid of good programs, except for Waehouse 13, I haven't been on there enough to see anything there either. Actually Since I have stayed away from spoilers, I'm not exactly sure when it starts on SyFy. So if someone can PM me with the stat dat I would appreciate it.
So all that being said, I am getting excited. It's like a wrapped present tha I have no idea what it is,that I have been anticipating opening for months, and will be able to open soon. :)

koroush47
September 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
I just hope it's not like the trailers are showing it to be.

Which is aimed at a younger audience ( MTV generation )

That would total ruin it for me.

This is what SGU is looking like so far : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8pJhi1kB80

Eternal Density
September 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
This is what SGU is looking like so far : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8pJhi1kB80Wow, I don't think anyone's compared SGU to that before[1]! However did you conceive such a novel idea?

[1]Not counting the previous half dozen times it's been done.

Coronach
September 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
I just hope it's not like the trailers are showing it to be.

Which is aimed at a younger audience ( MTV generation )

Dang whipper-snappers and their gangster rap!! :cool:

In all seriousness...I'm 20, and I hate MTV.

This is what SGU is looking like so far : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8pJhi1kB80

Chlol

I don't think they are trying to alienate older fans, just add new ones in addition to the exsisting fanbase of SG-1 and SGA.

I totally agree, Brian :D

I will watch the first season of SGU I don't know if I will like it, but I'm looking forward to it, only 31 days left until the show!

Oh *snap*, you'll give the whole first season a chance? Nice :P Good attitude though.

[1]Not counting the previous half dozen times it's been done.

Moar liek last 40 times, amirite?! ;)

Col.Foley
September 2nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Looking at SGA's numbers for their final season. They got hit bad in the 18 to 34 age demo. Season 4 was much higher. That likely sent a few concerns, and now SGU is looking to focus on attracting new and younger viewers. I don't think they are trying to alienate older fans, just add new ones in addition to the exsisting fanbase of SG-1 and SGA.
:indeed:
Whether they succeed or not is anyones guess.

Dang whipper-snappers and their gangster rap!! :cool:

In all seriousness...I'm 20, and I hate MTV.

Chlol

I totally agree, Brian :D

Oh *snap*, you'll give the whole first season a chance? Nice :P Good attitude though.

Moar liek last 40 times, amirite?! ;)
Ditto

Eternal Density
September 2nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Moar liek last 40 times, amirite?! ;)I even wrote a spoof fanfic. It also had replicators.

Briangate78
September 3rd, 2009, 05:47 AM
I think the network needs to advertise the show better. I watched W13 the other night which as you know is pulling in record numbers for the network. Yet all they do is show ads of Ghost Plumbers and I see no SGU ads. You would think that if they want people to give SGU a chance they would advertise during one of the most successful shows. :confused:

Nanjana
September 3rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
I will get SGU a chance, I will look the first epi and see what this is about! But I'm affraid that they playing Stargate dead like Star Trek.... I realy hope they just let it with those three series, I was sad about the other two and I think it should be enough now!
But as I said I'll give SGU a chance, I hope that it will come soon!

Mitchell82
September 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Why are you surprised?
When the people who makes tv thing ONLY about making MONEYthen good shows get canceled.

That I agree with however that doesn't mean SGU will fail and it wasn't SGU that killed SGA it was the cost of the show that did.

Shan Bruce Lee
September 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
I think the network needs to advertise the show better. I watched W13 the other night which as you know is pulling in record numbers for the network. Yet all they do is show ads of Ghost Plumbers and I see no SGU ads. You would think that if they want people to give SGU a chance they would advertise during one of the most successful shows. :confused:

That's definitely a missed opportunity. On the other hand they're showing trailers in theaters though.

Alexandria7
September 8th, 2009, 03:40 AM
That I agree with however that doesn't mean SGU will fail and it wasn't SGU that killed SGA it was the cost of the show that did.

Yeah, I don't think that was the reason. According to the reports from the Chicago con, even the actors aren't exactly sure why it was canceled. It does not sound like it had either anything to do with ratings or cost.

Lahela
September 8th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Yeah, I don't think that was the reason. According to the reports from the Chicago con, even the actors aren't exactly sure why it was canceled. It does not sound like it had either anything to do with ratings or cost.

Unless there is some evidence that SGU had something, anything, to do with it, I don't see that this is the place for this discussion. Nothing personal, just trying to head off the inevitable before the noodling starts ;)

Alexandria7
September 8th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Unless there is some evidence that SGU had something, anything, to do with it, I don't see that this is the place for this discussion. Nothing personal, just trying to head off the inevitable before the noodling starts ;)

Hehe, no prob. Yeah, I don't really see any evidence to point to that as a cause either.

As for advertising, I do not recall seeing one ad for SGU on sci fi in the US. I was watching it pretty heavy up until late August. The only ad I've seen of SGU has been the initial one online. I definitely think they should advertise more during the highly watched shows.

jelgate
September 8th, 2009, 05:35 AM
SyFy never gives Stargate proper advertising. Its sad but true. And yet in the past they have done just as well as the advertised shows. I'm looking at you BSG

Briangate78
September 8th, 2009, 05:45 AM
SyFy never gives Stargate proper advertising. Its sad but true. And yet in the past they have done just as well as the advertised shows. I'm looking at you BSG

When they used Season 4 stills for Season 5, that should of been an indication that SGA was on it's way out. It was pathethic.

Phenom
September 8th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I saw the first ad for SGU on Aussie Sci Fi (still old name here.. no fancy monniker for us) a few days back. There is probably a fancy industry word for what it was but it was simply the SGU title fading to a 'coming soon on Sci Fi' screen.

Given it is supposed to start here on Oct 9 it didn't exactly give much away to the average punter.

Tawny
September 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I saw the first ad for SGU on Aussie Sci Fi (still old name here.. no fancy monniker for us) a few days back. There is probably a fancy industry word for what it was but it was simply the SGU title fading to a 'coming soon on Sci Fi' screen.

Given it is supposed to start here on Oct 9 it didn't exactly give much away to the average punter.

I'm quite surprised at how little SGU seems to be getting advertised over here in the UK also. Don't think I've seen a single ad for it yet. And I agree that the advert you mentioned certainly doesnt give much away, but they may be going for the mysterious intrigue attack plan. Or something. I know what I mean.