This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universe = Space: 1999

I am surprised more people haven't made a connection between the "Stargate Universe" premise and that of "Space:1999." For those too young to remember, "Space:1999" was a show that was on in the 70's. It dealt with the members of a lunar colony called Moonbase-Alpha. The setup of the show was the moon got blown out of Earth orbit and sent on an uncontrolled "trek" through the cosmos with the inhabitants of the base encountering strange aliens and weird worlds in hopes of either finding a way home or finding a planet where they could settle.

They had no control over where they were heading and they couldn't spend too much time in one place because the moon was always on the move and they ran the danger of being left behind.

That sounds more like the premise of "Universe" than "Voyager."

IMHO

That sounds like a truly ****e tv show! I am sure there are a million 'lost in space' comparisons (there is another one right there). Too much is being made of the comparison with voyager, the way it is delivered is more important than the setting - I think atlantis was an awful setting, but it was written so well with good characters that it worked.

We could also compare universe to star wars - it's in another galaxy! Or Mario - They go through pipes, stargate go through wormholes...close enough
    I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

Yeah, I had never even heard of "Space:1999" before. I think SGU will stand on it's own two feet though. I just have faith in that.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
        Yeah, I had never even heard of "Space:1999" before. I think SGU will stand on it's own two feet though. I just have faith in that.
        The followers of origin had faith in the ori...now they are dead
        I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

Wow!

I guess I am older than I thought. I am surprised the number of people who had not heard of "Space: 1999."

The show starred Martin Laudau and Barbara Bain (of "Mission: Impossible" fame). He was the commander of the base and she was the medical doctor.

They had these ships they used to fly off the base to the passing worlds or to spaceships and so on (The ships the Alphans used were called Eagles.) I am guessing the guys in "Universe" will have ships they can leave and return to the Destiny in.

"Space: 1999" lasted two seasons. It was produced by Gerry Anderson of "Thunderbirds" fame.

Barry Morse (the original Gerard from "The Fugitive" tv series) was a scientist on the base during the first season.

Go to YouTube and you can probably find some clips from the show.

Comment

i remember this, had one of these as a toy! and a UFO interceptor.

looking back on it now it is ridiculous, the moon blasted out of orbit................ at or near the speed of light.............. occasionally orbiting other planets due to story requirements.

it was cheesy but it was the 70's, and finished its run before star wars was even released. it can be forgiven for being a tad out of date. i was 4 or 5 at the time, it was awesome for me.
            sigpic
            EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
            -Liberty Prime

Comment

They won't need ships to leave and return to the Destiny...they have the stargate for that. They may have puddle jumpers though, but probably not as the Destiny is supposed to be millions of years older than atlantis, so i suspect the tech will all be different, they need to make it look different so the show looks different from SGA. It will probably look more like the gate and the table thing in 'window of opportunity' than the tech in atlantis

Comment

Thanks rlr149 for the cool shot of the Eagle.

Yeah the show was a little bit hokey, but when I saw it in syndication when I was 5-6, I loved it as I loved all space faring shows around that time. I ate up the original "Star Trek" and "Battlestar Galactica."

Universe is going to need ships to leave the Destiny with. The Stargate might not always work as it is suppose to. How many times have we seen that kind of situation play in SG-1 and SGA?

Comment

Originally posted by JThunder101 View Post
                  Thanks rlr149 for the cool shot of the Eagle.

Yeah the show was a little bit hokey, but when I saw it in syndication when I was 5-6, I loved it as I loved all space faring shows around that time. I ate up the original "Star Trek" and "Battlestar Galactica."

Universe is going to need ships to leave the Destiny with. The Stargate might not always work as it is suppose to. How many times have we seen that kind of situation play in SG-1 and SGA?
                  They have mentioned leaving crew behind by accident - but that creates an issue with limited crew on board - unless they stock up on alien characters from other galaxies. Which will further remove the franchise from it's basis on earth.

Comment

Is the Destiny planting the stargates or is it the ship following that ship? I thought I read there were two ships, one planting stargates throughout the universe and another following it that the Ancients were suppose to gate to at some point to explore these new worlds, thus they would need equipment to do that.

Did I misread something?

Comment

No, thats about it - they are on the second ship. The first ship will presumably be unmanned (maybe even unmannable). By doing it that way, there will always be stargates in whatever galaxy they visit (I am assuming they will be moving from galaxy to galaxy, hence the name)

Comment

I think the real reason for all this makeover stuff is so that TPTB don't have to come up with new hokey-sounding culture-specific names for the Stargate. In a galaxy where there's never been a 'great swirling pool of blue-white light from the heavens, doused with water, forged by flame, unyielding in its resolve to trace the cosmos' greatest depths and show truth to those who believe', so on, so forth, someone can uniformly refer to the Stargate as 'that weird-ass prop that suddenly showed up in our backyard last night.'
                        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

universe moreover reminded me of atlantis itself.
                          a new team discovers a ship of legend goes to it using the next chevron on the gate and gets stranded for an undisclosed period of time.

dont get me wrong i think this pilot is truly stargate we explore a new frontier make some enemies and friends i mean isnt that what stargate is at its core?

IMHO
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by _Famrir_ View Post
                            universe moreover reminded me of atlantis itself.
                            a new team discovers a ship of legend goes to it using the next chevron on the gate and gets stranded for an undisclosed period of time.

dont get me wrong i think this pilot is truly stargate we explore a new frontier make some enemies and friends i mean isnt that what stargate is at its core?

IMHO
                            The problem with making new friends and new enemies is that the ship moves on periodically - meaning that any additions will be short/medium term, any long term additions will have to actually board the ship. I think it limits the possibility of establishing relationships outside the man cast - i.e. no bre'tak, selmak, ba'al characters...thats a big restriction

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
                              The problem with making new friends and new enemies is that the ship moves on periodically - meaning that any additions will be short/medium term, any long term additions will have to actually board the ship. I think it limits the possibility of establishing relationships outside the man cast - i.e. no bre'tak, selmak, ba'al characters...thats a big restriction
                              its a ship right sooo maybe they would be able to turn off the auto pilot
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X