PDA

View Full Version : Do they expect Universe to fail?

Bareassedmunky
August 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
I don't think the descriptions of the show are fundamentally flawed, but I do think the way they are planning on delivering it are. I get the distinct impression that mgm and sci-fi are behind the use of the terms 'younger audience' and 'mainstream'. They are aiming to use less tech and mythology, which are the basis of stargate. I have said in other threads that this will piss off existing fans, and the fact that it is sci-fi will stop more mainstream fans from ever considering even watching it once. I reckon it will fail miserably for these very reasons...

But do Brad Wright and Robert Cooper expect this? If it does fail miserably, and gets canceled after one season, so what - it is set in another galaxy, they have no contact with earth, the fourth series could assume that that the crew from universe are MIA It has no bearing on the continuing story in either the milky way or Pegasus. I suspect ('hope' is probably a better word) that this is done so that a quick 'I told you so' can be said and it can be forgotten about when a fourth series based on earth involving mythology and tech (preferably not ancient, I got bored of ancient tech after they first used the chair) starts and we can have 20 years of that.

Has an intentional escape clause been built in to universe?

_Famrir_
August 23rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
i dont think it will fail though the cancellation of atlantis wasnt a good call i was hoping it would go on until a 7th or 8th season

CStads
August 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
They are aiming to use less tech and mythology, which are the basis of stargate.

The tech part still baffles me. Younger generations understanding of modern technology is exponentially greater than older generations... Hell, it took me a week to teach my father how to use the iPod I gave him for his birthday and he's in his early 50's.

I do agree about the escape clause. If it fails, the SGC can easily say that they have no idea what happened to the expedition/team.

the fifth man
August 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
I think Universe has a real shot at making it. I'm definitely going to check it out when it premieres. Yeah, it sucks that SGA is gone. But, I don't want to see the third show in this franchise fall on it's a**.

Bareassedmunky
August 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
I don't think the reduction on tech and aiming an younger audiences are necessarily they same issue -
'they are appealing to a younger audience AND reducing the tech' rather than
'they are appealing to a younger audience BY reducing the tech'

Also, I think the basic idea is ok, I'd rather it was on earth, but I really can't see it breaking the mainstream and they will burn their current fans by trying to. I hope I am either very wrong, or very right

amconway
August 24th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I missed the 'less tech' part. So many other things were burning my eyeballs... Hmmm, science fiction with no science. Space fiction. Ah, space opera. I see. Fiction in space with nothing you have to think about very hard. Okaaaaay, why do they think that's Stargate, again? The reason I liked it, especially SG-1, is that being able to do a little thinking about what was going on was seen as a good thing, not a distracting waste of time.

Bareassedmunky
August 24th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I missed the 'less tech' part. So many other things were burning my eyeballs... Hmmm, science fiction with no science. Space fiction. Ah, space opera. I see. Fiction in space with nothing you have to think about very hard. Okaaaaay, why do they think that's Stargate, again? The reason I liked it, especially SG-1, is that being able to do a little thinking about what was going on was seen as a good thing, not a distracting waste of time.

Here, here!

Linda06
August 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Well I can always dream It will fail miserably!!

Bareassedmunky
August 24th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Well I can always dream It will fail miserably!!
Part of me hopes it does too, but I think a larger part of me hopes it proves me horribly, horribly wrong.

I have always said that atlantis was an awful setting, but good writing, and good acting covered this up. I hope the same genius that made it work can do the same with universe, but I'm not sure brad wright and robert cooper have as much control as they used to

Linda06
August 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Part of me hopes it does too, but I think a larger part of me hopes it proves me horribly, horribly wrong.

I have always said that atlantis was an awful setting, but good writing, and good acting covered this up. I hope the same genius that made it work can do the same with universe, but I'm not sure brad wright and robert cooper have as much control as they used to

I'm still In a bitter and angry mood so thinking rationally at this moment In time Is not a possibility :S

captain Qball
August 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I just can't stop bringing the scene from '200' to mind where they have a younger, edgier SG-1. *Shudder*

Gollumpus
August 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM
My suspicion is that they hope to get enough episodes to be able to go to syndication. After that, they can go the direct to DVD route.

A different take on the low tech aspect is this: the characters are dealing with Ancient tech which is potentially much older than anything which has already been discovered on Atlantis. The ship would be nice to have, but is likely being sought for any ZPM's which could be scavenged. If the ship could also be recovered, all the better but not so necessary. The stories will not be about getting the new weapon, or power source or w/e to fight the enemy de jour.

If a Trek analogy could be excused here, imagine we've discovered a space station like this http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/9/9f/USS_Enterprise_approaches_Earth_Spacedock.jpg and someone gets a hot lead on one of these: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Enterprise_%28NX-01%29

You're still interested because it's better than anything else you may already have (other than the station), but it's pretty primitive compared to that station.

regards,
G.

Platschu
August 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
They are planning this series since 2-3 year, so I want to believe in RCC and BW, that they could find out fresh storyline, planets, races and characters, which are the most important. Now they have more time to find the perfect crew, because they made a rush at Atlantis, when the actors were decided and hired one month before the shooting of Rising. I think they can find now even better actors. ;)

Amalthea
August 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I don't know if they would make it if they expected it to fail. I think that their expectations are based on some seriously flawed market research, though.

Platschu
August 24th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I don't know if they would make it if they expected it to fail. I think that their expectations are based on some seriously flawed market research, though.

But I fear that even if they could make the best season of the SG franchise, the rating won't be bigger and won't reach a good average. Maybe it will begin with a 2,5-3,0, than it will decrease to 1,6-1,8. And I don't know if it will be enough to order the second season for MGM or SciFi. Maybe the new form and the SG:W game will bring more viewers. ;)

SG_Matt
August 24th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Do they expect Universe to fail?

This was one of my first thoughts on the whole thing...

If it succeeds, in their minds they're thinking 'Groovy' ... if
not, 'oh well' and spin off another series that goes back to
the roots of StarGate.

jenks
August 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Oh yeah, because they've just millions of spare dollars to throw around... :rolleyes:

SG_Matt
August 24th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Oh yeah, because they've just millions of spare dollars to throw around... :rolleyes:

LOL...good point.

But, at the same time. Why would they cancel
a series that - by some accounts is starting to
actually look like there might be some decent
writing finally happening....prior to the midpoint
of the current season?

Hope, hope that they can draw in a new viewer
base without alienated (no pun intended) too much
of their current viewer base.

Then again, this is the sci-fi channel that wastes
our weekends with cheesy/crappy horror flicks
that create horror with the acting involved - which
I'm ashamed - I do not watch.

david2708
August 24th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I expect one delightful season full of teenage angst before the axe falls on the series.
It can then be paired with Scifi channel's Flash Gordon in one big SciFi Channel Mega DVD Set for $19.95 on Amazon.

Cryowolf
August 25th, 2008, 01:41 AM
If Universe fails, it will probably follow the formula of Star Trek and be cancelled. So I do NOT want this show to fail, I want it to go strong and gain an even bigger following than it already has; and then I want it to go on for at least 5 seasons I get my stargate fill.

jrd231
August 25th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I don't think the descriptions of the show are fundamentally flawed, but I do think the way they are planning on delivering it are. I get the distinct impression that mgm and sci-fi are behind the use of the terms 'younger audience' and 'mainstream'. They are aiming to use less tech and mythology, which are the basis of stargate. I have said in other threads that this will piss off existing fans, and the fact that it is sci-fi will stop more mainstream fans from ever considering even watching it once. I reckon it will fail miserably for these very reasons...

But do Brad Wright and Robert Cooper expect this? If it does fail miserably, and gets canceled after one season, so what - it is set in another galaxy, they have no contact with earth, the fourth series could assume that that the crew from universe are MIA It has no bearing on the continuing story in either the milky way or Pegasus. I suspect ('hope' is probably a better word) that this is done so that a quick 'I told you so' can be said and it can be forgotten about when a fourth series based on earth involving mythology and tech (preferably not ancient, I got bored of ancient tech after they first used the chair) starts and we can have 20 years of that.

Has an intentional escape clause been built in to universe?

What makes you think that if the third show fails miserably that Sci-Fi would want to pick up a fourth? Come on, now.

And, why would Robert Cooper and Brad Wright even bother to make a show they thought would fail? Would you?

Ridiculous thread.

CStads
August 25th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Actually.. If you look at MGM, they do. Stargate is their top TV franchise, and arguably the second most important franchise to them behind Bond.

Making a gamble on expanding that franchise makes sense from a business perspective.

CStads
August 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM
What makes you think that if the third show fails miserably that Sci-Fi would want to pick up a fourth?

The brand recognition alone would make Sci-Fi seriously consider the possibility and they'd most likely green-light a two hour pilot to gauge interest no matter the outcome of Universe.

ciannwn
August 25th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I missed the 'less tech' part. So many other things were burning my eyeballs... Hmmm, science fiction with no science. Space fiction. Ah, space opera. I see. Fiction in space with nothing you have to think about very hard.

You can't have proper space opera without the tech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera

Space opera is a subgenre of speculative fiction or science fiction that emphasizes romantic, often melodramatic adventure, set mainly or entirely in space, generally involving conflict between opponents possessing powerful (and sometimes quite fanciful) technologies and abilities. Perhaps the most significant trait of space opera is that settings, characters, battles, powers, and themes tend to be very large-scale.

'Romantic' is a link to -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_(genre)

Romantic in the traditional meaning of the term is epic sagas like Beowulf and this is the way it's used in relation to space opera.

BSG qualifies as space opera because the overall theme is an epic adventure and there are exciting space battles every so often. It includes drama in the form of intense, angsty relationships but this side of things is soap opera not space opera.

SG1 and SGA weren't set mainly in space but the rest of the space opera aspects were present. If SGU is going to be minus the the powerful tech, epic adventures, space battles and aliens with amazing abilities it isn't going to be anything like a space opera. It will just be a soap opera about a group of people stuck on a space ship.

Betelgeuze
August 25th, 2008, 09:02 AM
They might not expect it to fail. But i think that if they deviate to much from the original concepts of Stargate, they will lose many viewers from the established fan base.

Bareassedmunky
August 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM
What makes you think that if the third show fails miserably that Sci-Fi would want to pick up a fourth? Come on, now.

And, why would Robert Cooper and Brad Wright even bother to make a show they thought would fail? Would you?

Ridiculous thread.

The title was obviously sensationalised to get attention, but the point actually being made is that perhaps Robert cooper and Brad Wright are being told to make it fit a different audience, and as this may not work they are building in such a way that they can forget it happened in the grand scheme of things.

And sci-fi could pick it up a fourth series if it fails because they have had two successful series until they changed it fundamentally