This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do they expect Universe to fail?

I don't think the descriptions of the show are fundamentally flawed, but I do think the way they are planning on delivering it are. I get the distinct impression that mgm and sci-fi are behind the use of the terms 'younger audience' and 'mainstream'. They are aiming to use less tech and mythology, which are the basis of stargate. I have said in other threads that this will piss off existing fans, and the fact that it is sci-fi will stop more mainstream fans from ever considering even watching it once. I reckon it will fail miserably for these very reasons...

But do Brad Wright and Robert Cooper expect this? If it does fail miserably, and gets canceled after one season, so what - it is set in another galaxy, they have no contact with earth, the fourth series could assume that that the crew from universe are MIA It has no bearing on the continuing story in either the milky way or Pegasus. I suspect ('hope' is probably a better word) that this is done so that a quick 'I told you so' can be said and it can be forgotten about when a fourth series based on earth involving mythology and tech (preferably not ancient, I got bored of ancient tech after they first used the chair) starts and we can have 20 years of that.

Has an intentional escape clause been built in to universe?
    I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

i dont think it will fail though the cancellation of atlantis wasnt a good call i was hoping it would go on until a 7th or 8th season
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
      They are aiming to use less tech and mythology, which are the basis of stargate.
      The tech part still baffles me. Younger generations understanding of modern technology is exponentially greater than older generations... Hell, it took me a week to teach my father how to use the iPod I gave him for his birthday and he's in his early 50's.

I do agree about the escape clause. If it fails, the SGC can easily say that they have no idea what happened to the expedition/team.
      "Each and everything in the universe is nothing other than the perfect manifestation of the essential nature. If you realize this fact, you will find that your own self nature exists in completeness, from the beginningless past into the endless future."

Comment

I think Universe has a real shot at making it. I'm definitely going to check it out when it premieres. Yeah, it sucks that SGA is gone. But, I don't want to see the third show in this franchise fall on it's a**.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I don't think the reduction on tech and aiming an younger audiences are necessarily they same issue -
          'they are appealing to a younger audience AND reducing the tech' rather than
          'they are appealing to a younger audience BY reducing the tech'

Also, I think the basic idea is ok, I'd rather it was on earth, but I really can't see it breaking the mainstream and they will burn their current fans by trying to. I hope I am either very wrong, or very right
          I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbelief

Comment

I missed the 'less tech' part. So many other things were burning my eyeballs... Hmmm, science fiction with no science. Space fiction. Ah, space opera. I see. Fiction in space with nothing you have to think about very hard. Okaaaaay, why do they think that's Stargate, again? The reason I liked it, especially SG-1, is that being able to do a little thinking about what was going on was seen as a good thing, not a distracting waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
              I missed the 'less tech' part. So many other things were burning my eyeballs... Hmmm, science fiction with no science. Space fiction. Ah, space opera. I see. Fiction in space with nothing you have to think about very hard. Okaaaaay, why do they think that's Stargate, again? The reason I liked it, especially SG-1, is that being able to do a little thinking about what was going on was seen as a good thing, not a distracting waste of time.
              Here, here!

Comment

Well I can always dream It will fail miserably!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                  Well I can always dream It will fail miserably!!
                  Part of me hopes it does too, but I think a larger part of me hopes it proves me horribly, horribly wrong.

I have always said that atlantis was an awful setting, but good writing, and good acting covered this up. I hope the same genius that made it work can do the same with universe, but I'm not sure brad wright and robert cooper have as much control as they used to

Comment

Originally posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
                    Part of me hopes it does too, but I think a larger part of me hopes it proves me horribly, horribly wrong.

I have always said that atlantis was an awful setting, but good writing, and good acting covered this up. I hope the same genius that made it work can do the same with universe, but I'm not sure brad wright and robert cooper have as much control as they used to
                    I'm still In a bitter and angry mood so thinking rationally at this moment In time Is not a possibility
                    sigpic

Comment

I just can't stop bringing the scene from '200' to mind where they have a younger, edgier SG-1. *Shudder*

Comment

My suspicion is that they hope to get enough episodes to be able to go to syndication. After that, they can go the direct to DVD route.

A different take on the low tech aspect is this: the characters are dealing with Ancient tech which is potentially much older than anything which has already been discovered on Atlantis. The ship would be nice to have, but is likely being sought for any ZPM's which could be scavenged. If the ship could also be recovered, all the better but not so necessary. The stories will not be about getting the new weapon, or power source or w/e to fight the enemy de jour.

If a Trek analogy could be excused here, imagine we've discovered a space station like this http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/..._Spacedock.jpg and someone gets a hot lead on one of these: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Enterprise_%28NX-01%29

You're still interested because it's better than anything else you may already have (other than the station), but it's pretty primitive compared to that station.

regards,
                        G.
                        Go for Marty...

Comment

They are planning this series since 2-3 year, so I want to believe in RCC and BW, that they could find out fresh storyline, planets, races and characters, which are the most important. Now they have more time to find the perfect crew, because they made a rush at Atlantis, when the actors were decided and hired one month before the shooting of Rising. I think they can find now even better actors.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I don't know if they would make it if they expected it to fail. I think that their expectations are based on some seriously flawed market research, though.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
                              I don't know if they would make it if they expected it to fail. I think that their expectations are based on some seriously flawed market research, though.
                              But I fear that even if they could make the best season of the SG franchise, the rating won't be bigger and won't reach a good average. Maybe it will begin with a 2,5-3,0, than it will decrease to 1,6-1,8. And I don't know if it will be enough to order the second season for MGM or SciFi. Maybe the new form and the SG:W game will bring more viewers.
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                              X