This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howe Comments on SGA Fan Outrage

Sci Fi Channel’s Dave Howe has recently been flooded with “Save Stargate Atlantis” communications from fans who are reeling from the announcement that their show, after only five seasons, has been cancelled. Adding insult to the injury to many fans was the on-the-heels-of-cancellation announcement that Stargate Universe was greenlit.

“It’s kind of hard to cancel one, but it’s good news to announce a new one,” Howe told Multichannel News on Friday. Apparently, several Atlantis fans would not necessarily agree, as evidenced by an on-line petition to save the show. “There’s no sign of a letup in my e-mail inbox, I can tell you.”

Stargate Atlantis still has 15 episodes of the current fifth season to air, and then the two-hour movie will be shown in 2009. Stargate Universe will have 20 episodes, the first two being the show’s two-hour pilot, and the show will begin to air in the summer of 2009. Universe, as its predecessors, will be produced in Vancouver.

Howe went on to say, “There’s obviously a passionate audience for Atlantis and the characters of Atlantis. And yes, they’re absolutely going to continue in the movie franchise. But people need to mourn for a while and come to terms with it. I don’t anticipate that that will subside quickly. But once Universe is on air and they have kind of their next fix of the Stargate franchise, I think hopefully people will realize that it’s in safe hands at Sci Fi, that we really value this franchise and it’s in our interest and the fans’ interest to let us continue the story and figure out how to retell it for a new audience every few years.”

http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leid=CA6589804

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
    Sci Fi Channel’s Dave Howe has recently been flooded with “Save Stargate Atlantis” communications from fans who are reeling from the announcement that their show, after only five seasons, has been cancelled. Adding insult to the injury to many fans was the on-the-heels-of-cancellation announcement that Stargate Universe was greenlit.

“It’s kind of hard to cancel one, but it’s good news to announce a new one,” Howe told Multichannel News on Friday. Apparently, several Atlantis fans would not necessarily agree, as evidenced by an on-line petition to save the show. “There’s no sign of a letup in my e-mail inbox, I can tell you.”

Stargate Atlantis still has 15 episodes of the current fifth season to air, and then the two-hour movie will be shown in 2009. Stargate Universe will have 20 episodes, the first two being the show’s two-hour pilot, and the show will begin to air in the summer of 2009. Universe, as its predecessors, will be produced in Vancouver.

Howe went on to say, “There’s obviously a passionate audience for Atlantis and the characters of Atlantis. And yes, they’re absolutely going to continue in the movie franchise. But people need to mourn for a while and come to terms with it. I don’t anticipate that that will subside quickly. But once Universe is on air and they have kind of their next fix of the Stargate franchise, I think hopefully people will realize that it’s in safe hands at Sci Fi, that we really value this franchise and it’s in our interest and the fans’ interest to let us continue the story and figure out how to retell it for a new audience every few years.”

How is the franchise safe in their hands when they keep CANCELLING it?! Honestly, Monkeys would've done better by Stargate than these idiots.
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

[/url]
      Next fix? is that what we are to them a bunch of crazed fans that want our SG fix?, HOW about i dont want a new fix i like my SGA the way it is god dammit!

Comment

Yeah that is a load of CRAP!!!!!. Fans dont WANT a new SG, they want SGA!!! how much plainer can it get?
        Stargate Atlantis: Save the Lost City!!!

If you want to help save atlantis, go to this site:
        :http://www.wix.com/SaveSGA/Campaign

SEND LEMONS!!!!!!!!!

SEND SNAIL MAIL AND EMAILS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by I_haz_a_Cookie View Post
          Next fix? is that what we are to them a bunch of crazed fans that want our SG fix?, HOW about i dont want a new fix i like my SGA the way it is god dammit!
          funnily enough im not a sheep, i dont follow the franchise around because it has the name stargate attached to it...i liked SG1, got bored of that, i loved SGA (though i had problems with it) and they cancelled it...i dont give a crap about the franchise, im an SGA fan and now theyve cancelled that, then thats it for me. SGU doesnt interest me in the slightest and nor do i want to watch it.

They say we have the movies, but ive heard no mention of a third SG1 movie being made, id certainly be surprised if we got another Atlantis movie after the first..if i was one of the atlantis cast, i wouldnt want to wait around and see if tptb were interested in using me again......not that they will care once their new show is off the ground...plus since they want to go younger and none of that cast is getting any younger im sure they wont fit in with that whole new image theyre trying to create.

SIG BY MY SISTER OBSESSED1! WHEN SHEP GOES WHUMP I GO THUNK! My LJ

Comment

Next fix ???? How disrespectful ! Are we junkies or what ???!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caldwell's 2IC View Post
              yes
              sigpic
              EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
              -Liberty Prime

Comment

And I thought it couldn't get worse

I really don't want to read more of this insulting crap. We fans are good enough to give them our money but apart from that we mean nothing to them.

It's really sad but I'm done with this franchise.

And now I go to the bathroom I think I'm getting sick....
                sigpic

Comment

What an interesting insight into the views SCI-FI holds over its beloved viewers who keep them in a job. After that comment i would surprised if the guy himself doesnt find himself cancelled.

C40
                  So this is how the Stargate franchise was killed, not by guns or ships or knives.

But by;
                  “There’s obviously a passionate audience for Atlantis and the characters of Atlantis. And yes, they’re absolutely going to continue in the movie franchise. But people need to mourn for a while and come to terms with it. I don’t anticipate that that will subside quickly. But once Universe is on air and they have kind of their next fix of the Stargate franchise, I think hopefully people will realize that it’s in safe hands at Sci Fi...

Comment

exactly what i was thinking.
                    What does he think, if we don't get our stargate "fix", we will take it to the streets ? and if we are junkies then he must be a dealer, arrest him!

p.s. post number lucky 108!!
                    Last edited by unluckynumber11; 23 August 2008, 12:45 PM.

KEEP IT CLEAN
                    Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                    Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Yes! Well at least that is what they think of us. The best thing to do is walk away, put down that drink/shot/show and just say no.

These people don't deserve us, and honestly - there are so many other great shows out there we really don't need to get our fix from Stargate.
                      sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by Rootortoise View Post
                        funnily enough im not a sheep, i dont follow the franchise around because it has the name stargate attached to it...i liked SG1, got bored of that, i loved SGA (though i had problems with it) and they cancelled it...i dont give a crap about the franchise, im an SGA fan and now theyve cancelled that, then thats it for me. SGU doesnt interest me in the slightest and nor do i want to watch it.

They say we have the movies, but ive heard no mention of a third SG1 movie being made, id certainly be surprised if we got another Atlantis movie after the first..if i was one of the atlantis cast, i wouldnt want to wait around and see if tptb were interested in using me again......not that they will care once their new show is off the ground...plus since they want to go younger and none of that cast is getting any younger im sure they wont fit in with that whole new image theyre trying to create.
                        Although it has not been given the greenlight as of yet, Brad Wright has said that he's writing it and Chris Judge has said its likely to film in Jan.

Originally posted by Chevron 40 View Post
                        What an interesting insight into the views SCI-FI holds over its beloved viewers who keep them in a job. After that comment i would surprised if the guy himself doesnt find himself cancelled.

C40
                        LMAO!!!!!!!!

Comment

How idiotic don't you think? While commenting about the outrage that SciFi caused by canceling SGA, the man responsible thought it would be a good idea and outrage the fans even further by comparing us to druggies looking for a fix......

i feel sorry for this franchise if people like that control it...

Comment

Reading between the lines, he's saying "Protest all you like, it ain't coming back, and all you're emails are going straight into the junk mail file" Oh well, it had run it's course by the end of series three IMO

Comment

Reading this thread, I thank God that the franchise is not controlled by the fans. I completely agree with David Howe. Atlantis was getting stale in spots. While I love the show and wanted at least one more season, I think 10 years is far too long. 6-7 should be the max, and most sci-fi shows don't make it past 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X