This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU - inject a bit more dramatic intensity like BSG - Sci FI's Dave Howe

Sci Fi also is losing space opera Battlestar Galactica after the current season and wants to keep that genre an important part of the network, Sci Fi Channel president Dave Howe said.

“The intention here is to make this one skew young and give it a contemporary vibe,” Howe told Multichannel News Friday.

He said the new series presents a chance to take some new creative turns with the franchise. “As a network, obviously we look at Battlestar Galactica, that’s set the standard in terms of tense character drama. Stargate does not have the intensity of a Battlestar Galactica. But it may well be somewhere in between. Brad and Robert are very eager to keep the action and adventure and the sense of humor [in Stargate Universe]. But I think there’s an opportunity to maybe inject a bit more dramatic intensity into the series. But that’s obviously a conversation for them as they start to script and move into development.”

The plan is to start shooting early next year, so casting and scripting will start soon, Howe said.

As has been described, Stargate Universe involves the discovery of an ancient vessel — reached by the space-travel portal called the stargate — that was intended to explore different galaxies where stargates have been placed and see how civilizations there have progressed.

“What’s unique about this chapter is it’s going to be set entirely in space,” Howe said. “They’re on a ship, the Destiny. That’s also an opportunity for us because as Battlestar Galactica reaches a conclusion it’s nice for us to have within the mix of programming a space opera that serves the audience that’s really into in space operas.”

http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leid=CA6589541

So the "made for a younger audience" was a code name for BSG-esque? And I thought I was being overly cynical.

Sigh.

I shall repeat my earlier sentiment. If Stargate has lost its identity so thoroughly they have to copy some other science fiction show, I'd rather it be Doctor Who.
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

But if I wanted to watch something BSGesque, I would watch BSG. Which I don't. I might someday via DVD. I've seen three episodes and...it's OK.

I'd rather watch SG-1 or SGA. Which I do. A Lot.

Plus, the only space soap I wanna watch would be Starcrossed.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
      O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Oh thank god! If SGU is made darker towards the BSG-esque this may actually turn out to be ok afterall.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

*head desk*
          Why Why Why Producers! Why?

This might be the end of Stargate as we know it...which is not a good thing.

Comment

I'm confused. BSG doesn't seem like it is aimed at a younger audience than SGA.
            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

It's a toughie aint it?

Basically I read it as being as character driven as BSG, but no where near as intelligent or dark.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Oh, for crying out loud. If I wanted something more like BSG, I'd watch BSG. I guess if the Stargate future lies in that direction, I won't be following it.

Here's hoping they come to their senses before then.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                  I'm confused. BSG doesn't seem like it is aimed at a younger audience than SGA.
                  It does depend...from the content one would not think that it would be, however, that is what younger people seem to be in for these days. Some of us any way.
                  Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                  It's a toughie aint it?

Basically I read it as being as character driven as BSG, but no where near as intelligent or dark.
                  I never found BSG to be super intelligent.

Comment

Not "super" intelligent, but you know....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

As usual, people are jumping to conclusions. All that's been said is that they want to make it more dramatic, they also make it clear that they want to keep the action/adventure and humour in the show, so I wouldn't go into doom and gloom mode just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                        Not "super" intelligent, but you know....
                        I have always found both the gates to be generally more intelligent then Galactica. Especially during the arcs that you see in Gate.
                        If it wants to take some inspiration on a show to make it good, intelligent, and epic, it might want to try it from Babylon 5, or Deep Space Nine.
                        Andromeda would be a better choice then inspiration for an intelligent series even. As long as it is minus season 5 that is.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          As usual, people are jumping to conclusions. All that's been said is that they want to make it more dramatic, they also make it clear that they want to keep the action/adventure and humour in the show, so I wouldn't go into doom and gloom mode just yet.
                          I'm not really...but the 'space opera' bit has me the most concerned, considering people call BSG one, now that could simple be a misunderstanding.
                          Never mind.

Comment

AWESOME.. People you need to understand what they are saying and stop speculating it may not be terrible. They are trying to bring in newer audience, they aren't going to make it all soap operay, It will be the same ole stargate just with some darker themes which is really great! So stop saying it's going to be bad, I bet it will be a very entertaining show, just wait and see, at least wait until they have the actors and the script written.
                            I'm gonna miss SG1..
                            Season 10, Simply amazing... Bring on the movies

The ori are going down!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ferrari20092 View Post
                              AWESOME.. People you need to understand what they are saying and stop speculating it may not be terrible. They are trying to bring in newer audience, they aren't going to make it all soap operay, It will be the same ole stargate just with some darker themes which is really great! So stop saying it's going to be bad, I bet it will be a very entertaining show, just wait and see, at least wait until they have the actors and the script written.
                              Yeah...but when I hear words like Glactica, and Gate, inspiration, same sentence, I want to find a small dark hole in the ground. However, I of course will give it its chance, and you are probably right, I hope you are any way. And this is the most likely any way.

Comment

Working...
                              X