This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anubis or Ra ?

I read on the home page that Ra will be returning in the season 8 finale and it also says that he is the biggest baddest system lord. It occurs to me though that Anubis is the baddest due to the fact that he was removed from the system lords for doing unspeakable crimes, which must have been pretty bad, because the other system lords do bad stuff, but if Anubis got thrown out of the system what did he do?

Its might just be more, but even before Anubis became Ascended I'd say that Anubis is the biggest and baddest of the system lords. What do you guys think

I think that Anubis has probably become the most dangerous SL, making him the "worst" I suppose, the way a crazy person is the worst leader a country can have. But I think that Ra epitomizes what the SLs are, so in that he would be the biggest, baddest SL.

Even though he was dead before it started, Ra had history within the entire series. He is the one credited with populating the galaxy with humans and his rule spawned the resistance, the Tok'Ra.

And he spoke fluent Goa'uld.

As to why Ra kicked Nuby out, way back when, I think it was because Anubis was already mad (as in mad scientist). He has a very crazy idea about how this galaxy should be.

Ra was a badass who was politically astute. That makes him big and bad the way Alexander the Great was, or Julius Ceasar, or Napoleon Bonaparte was.

Nuby is bad the way Nero was, or Hitler or Stalin.

Just my opinion.
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I still have a hard time taking nuby seriously. he still has this overblown 'dash dasterdly' saturday afternoon serial quality that makes him rather humorous at times.
      His dramatic speeches usually end up more comical than anything else because i agree with Jack in a way 'no one talks like that'

ra, well i never got to know ra. I guess i equate him more to ba'al, who i personally think is a more threatening villian simply because he doesn't seem togo for big huge plans, but simple acts of cruelty
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
        I think that Anubis has probably become the most dangerous SL, making him the "worst" I suppose, the way a crazy person is the worst leader a country can have. But I think that Ra epitomizes what the SLs are, so in that he would be the biggest, baddest SL.

Even though he was dead before it started, Ra had history within the entire series. He is the one credited with populating the galaxy with humans and his rule spawned the resistance, the Tok'Ra.

And he spoke fluent Goa'uld.

As to why Ra kicked Nuby out, way back when, I think it was because Anubis was already mad (as in mad scientist). He has a very crazy idea about how this galaxy should be.

Ra was a badass who was politically astute. That makes him big and bad the way Alexander the Great was, or Julius Ceasar, or Napoleon Bonaparte was.

Nuby is bad the way Nero was, or Hitler or Stalin.

Just my opinion.
        I am actaully quite inclined to agree with you. Let me pose this question though... Did the SL's Acknowledge Ra and most obey what he said (other then Apophis.. to which I think he may have been his enemy but I think ra still was about to strike fear into him) since he is titled the Supreme System Lord.

Comment

I think Anubis certainly seems to be the most powerful System Lord ever because of his non-corporeal form. You cannot “kill” him, only the ascended can.

Since the movie Ra is just a legend and in SG-1 he has taken a mythical status. He actually doesn’t come across as evil as he probably was, well for me anyway.

Ra and Anubis were probably, no, definitely the most powerful System Lords of all time but not necessarily the most evil. I think Sokar was the most frightening and most “evil looking” System Lord ever, while Nirrti’s actions made her one of the most despicable Goa’uld ever encountered.

I think Anubis’s character would be more frightening if he never talked or said only one or two words. That would give him a mysterious and murky quality which along with his outfit would make for a better, much more intimidating character.

I would have to agree with others who have said some of the lines he has and the way he talks is sometimes comical. However I would say his non-corporeal form somewhat makes up for this.

ANCiENTS & TOLKiEN
          One race to found them all, one race to zap them,
          One race to guide them all, and in the universe transcend them

ODE TO JOY
          Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
          Wir betreten Feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt;
          Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancients Rising
            While Nirrti’s actions made her one of the most despicable Goa’uld ever encountered.
            Was Nirrti ever a System-lord ?
            I thought she was just considered an insane scientist.
            sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
              Was Nirrti ever a System-lord ?
              I thought she was just considered an insane scientist.
              Yes she came to Earth to speak about the protective planets treaty with the Asgard.
              Signed,

Gregorius
              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius
                Yes she came to Earth to speak about the protective planets treaty with the Asgard.
                Aha, and when was she thrown out ?
                sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

When she refused to share her phase-shifting technology.
                  Last edited by Lord You; 12 November 2004, 11:35 AM. Reason: context context context

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
                    Pretty much the same episode, when she tried to kill Cronus. Cronus took her prisinor and kept her as punishment. When SG-1 killed Cronus a year later, she got out again.

BYE
                    "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

I still have a hard time taking nuby seriously. he still has this overblown 'dash dasterdly' saturday afternoon serial quality that makes him rather humorous at times
                      I'm with you on this one, Skydiver. I could never take Anubis seriously either. I was always waiting for someone to yell out "He's behind you!" whenever he appeared on screen. Great panto villain, lousy System Lord.

Agree with you on Ba'al too. I always found him to be much more chilling than Anubis any day.

Albion
                      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Ancients Rising
                        I think Anubis’s character would be more frightening if he never talked or said only one or two words. That would give him a mysterious and murky quality which along with his outfit would make for a better, much more intimidating character.
                        This is true. Maybe he should have had Osiris speak for him; that would be classy, especially if Osiris was clearly really scared of him.

What I really want to see is a System Lord who talks less and does more. I want Yu to show up with his fleet in Abydonian orbit and just start wailing on Anubis' mothership, then phone up to gloat. I want Anubis to remember how evil he is and take out the Prometheus over Antarctica by just flying one of his ha'tak vessels into it: He's got more!

Ra was creepy, precisely because he looked sort of delicate and youthful (that's something that's never been duplicated in SG-1 - Jaye Davidson's boyishness); Anubis is just too much the act and unfortunately, Ra-in-a-mask is probably going to run into the same problem.
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

My question is how do you come back from a Naquada enhanced nuke going off in your face?
                          sigpic
                          I am Zim, Irken Invader Zim. I am responsible for the safe obliteration of the human race, not you!' - Zim - Invader Zim
                          'Don't worry, officer. You are in a filthy Earth brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head! ' - Zim - Invader Zim
                          'Now, to unleash screaming temporal doom! ' - Zim -Invader Zim

Comment

you are presuming of course that he comes back.

the very title of moebius suggests that there may be some sort of time travel involved....what if we go back to see ra before he got blown to smitherines
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMarioMan
                              My question is how do you come back from a Naquada enhanced nuke going off in your face?
                              Easily...
                              Spoiler:
                              having never happened. This episode involves time travel and alternate realities.

Comment

Working...
                              X