PDA

View Full Version : Brad Wright is a genius

Dagrinch
August 22nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
With the announcement of the cancellation and this episode . I cant help but wonder , what might have been had Brad played in the Atlantis sandbox just a bit more often . Over the Years Mr. Wright has penned some of the best Episodes for the franchise and just when I though he couldnt get any better , he drops a gem like this one . Sadly its to little to late . Hopefully he will be more involved in the writing in the new series . If so , I think tonite shows we all have something special to look forward too

jelgate
August 22nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
Funy how we can go from hating Brad for cancelling SGA and go to loving him.

naamiaiset
August 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
This just showed me that SGA had a lot of potential left. Brad penned a great episode, I'll give him that.

NKDietrich
August 22nd, 2008, 09:35 PM

It's not like he cancelled it all on his own.

Anyway, this episode was brilliant, everyone involved. Really makes me hate that the show is being cancelled.

Lythisrose
August 22nd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Makes me feel worse that he realizes the potential that Atlantis has, writes a great episode for these characters, and dumps it anyway.

More like Evil Genius....

Vlad
August 22nd, 2008, 10:05 PM

I never hated Brad Wright. He has led Stargate and I trust him, as we all should. I mean really. A combined of over 304 hours worth of stories is amazing and I think we owe it to them to trust them.

eviladam
August 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
I can't believe they're cancelling a show that CAN be this amazing. I have never been that emotionally involved in a Stargate episode. Even when a major character died in the end or something.

IMHO Atlantis should be picked back up and the show should be more like tonight's episode. Just wow.

naonak77
August 23rd, 2008, 03:46 AM
To bad they couldn't have done more well written episodes like this.

Overture
August 23rd, 2008, 04:01 AM
yeah, I just had to explain to my housemates that I'm teary eyed because of a good sci-fi episode.

Damn you Brad Wright. Those movies had better be worth it.

Briangate78
August 23rd, 2008, 05:46 AM

LOL, well Brad Wright was the spokesperson and well I guess the target for everything that happened this week. It was not just his decision but you still wish they would of given the show another season. Now there is no fighting, since it was mutual agreement.

Yeah the mutual agreement was there is a chance to make more money, by taking this gutsy risk.

Pic
August 23rd, 2008, 05:51 AM
Well, I said it in the general discussion, and I'll say it here.
Episodes like this give me hope that SGA will end on a high note. Go out with a bang instead of whimper.

makes future re-watches more enjoyable

EternalAlteran
August 23rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
Probably some managers cancelled the show, thinking that they with movies make more money.

Though it's nice the Universe has a go and some movies are going to be made.
I think they should make a lot of them.

I_haz_a_Cookie
August 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
just isnt the same after hearing the bad news about SGA, everytime i watch SGA now its seems i have this omnipresence of death just lingering by, what a buzzkill

the episode was great, love the interaction between them all. i laughed when i saw john in his pajamas with the panda lol

Ripple in Space
August 23rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Brad really is the core predominant Stargate writer isn't he? I know he's taken more focus on SG-1 lately, but isn't he really the big cheese?

He did what he had to do with this. And ideally, a few 2-hour films per year may be better. With SG-1 that isn't the case imo. I liked the films, but they don't even stack up to some of the stronger pre-Ori years eps, imo.

Jill_Ion
August 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
He wrote a very wonderful episode, The Shrine.

But I'm still pouting and a little mad at him since SGA is canceled.

*pouts*

Pitry
August 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
BW has proven SGA can still be strong and wonderful and touching. And yes, it's a shame it's nto a sandbox he chooses to play in more often - and even more of a shame that often when he does choose to play in the Stargate sandbox he goes for big and spectacular - like Continuum - rather than quiet and simple and good - like The Shrine.

I've been feeling that about both BW and RCC for a while now. Whenever these two write episodes that aren't meant to be big adn spectacular, they write the best eipsodes of the franchise and some of the best television I've ever watched.
The trouble begins when they decide "bigger is better"...

drake122
August 23rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Penned a great episode!? LOL Only a retard would have written an episode where a man is being operated on in a cave, with a drill like that. I mean, seriously now, I know this is supposed to be Sci-fi, but for God's sake, that's totally retarded.

Yes, the story had great potential, but concluding it like that? Ugh... it would have been better if they just beamed out the thing from his head or something.

CStads
August 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Ugh... it would have been better if they just beamed out the thing from his head or something.

That would've made the episode a joke...

"Let's just put McKay in stasis and beam the thing out when the Daedalus gets here."

"Sounds good, what's for lunch?"

Seriously... He penned a great episode. Gives me hope that with him and RCC as show runners on SGU we'll have more writing like this.

kris
August 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Yes, Mr. Wright has gotten even better. It was a well-woven episode despite the standard rushed, easy-fix ending/wrap-up that is so common for hour long TV---unavoidable in such a short story-telling time frame. I like the videos of Rodney going downhill mentally; they were appropriate to the progression in the storyline and placed perfectly between the main scenes. And the little surprise "love" stuff at the very end was a touching touch. I don't watch the show regularly anymore but was hopping about and when I caught the name "Brad Wright" as writer I knew I just might catch a finer episode than the last one I happened upon one boring night.

I would've liked to have the issue brought out directly, however: the fact that they took Rodney out to the Shrine thinking of themselves, not about Rodney, all because they wanted to say goodbye. A real ethical situation. Can you imagine having to re-emerge from your clouded, simple mind to realize you're going to die and fast? If they hadn't brought him there, Rodney would probably have remained oblivious. He'd declined to such a small child-like state.

My favorite scene: Rodney having a panic attack at Shep's door and the beer drinking afterwards. Lovely heart-pulling! Well done without being overdone.

Naonak
August 24th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Yes, the story had great potential, but concluding it like that? Ugh... it would have been better if they just beamed out the thing from his head or something.
No, it wouldn't. The only reason they were able to beam the Goa'uld out of Caldwell back in Critical Mass was because they had Hermiod to do it. Having them beam the parasite out of Rodney would have been unrealistic, and anti-climactic as was mentioned above.

Thors_wisdom
August 24th, 2008, 10:25 AM
its a shame since he can write some really cracking stories

Cryowolf
August 25th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Writers and producers rarely have anything to do with cancellations, it's the suits of the network and sponsors that decide that. The writers just go with the flow to try and make it work, so personally I am just glad that Stargate isn't over and will continue in another incarnation rather than just ending.