The Tok'ra in Atlantis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tok'ra in Atlantis.

Aren't the Tok'ra the experts in the removal of parasites that are attached to the brain?

If the SGC and the IOA were able to send Rodney's sister, couldn't they send a Tok'ra to see if he could offer any help?

Wouldn't that make sense and make the episode better and more believable?

Yeah, Goa'ulds. Even so, there was no guarantee. The story was done properly for the future Emmy winning acting performance.

Comment

I don't know if removing a Gua'uld is the same as removing a much smaller parasite from the middle of a human brain
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
        I don't know if removing a Gua'uld is the same as removing a much smaller parasite from the middle of a human brain
        It is obvious that it isn't the same, however, it would've been cool to see a Tok'ra going to Atlantis to offer his or her expertise, even if all they got from the Tok'ra was a "- Most puzzling" type of comment and a "- There is nothing we can do".

It would be a scene with Wolsey mentioning to someone that a Tok'ra is coming to try to help and a second scene (15 seconds long) with the Tok'ra saying he couldn't help, or offering up some small contribution to Keller.

Nothing that would change the story, just something that would've made it a bit better.

Comment

I think it's a shame there has been no mention of _any_ other Milky Way alien races helping out in Atlantis. Tok'ra, Tollan (if there are any still around, but that's another story all together), etc.

To ask the Tok'ra wouldn't be unexpected, considering their more advanced medical technology and knowledge of human physiology.

Heck, I'm still miffed they haven't created some stripped down human form replicators to help out around the place.

Comment

Weren't the Tollan wiped out?

Maybe they could've put a call into the Tok'ra, but I guess they figured the snake!heads and slimy!starfish were too different. I think it harkens back to the whole "on-your-own" theme that SGA set up in the beginning.

I think introducing them, even in a minor role, would not have added to the story in this instance. It was a character-driven McKay piece which needed dialogue between him, his teammates and his sister. The wraith were added only to show the lengths to which his team was willing to go on a wild goose chase. Tok'ra would have taken away from that, IMO.

Still, it's an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of their extraction procedure.

Comment

yeah I too would like to see some more mention of races from the other show. not a complete overhaul or having them become the main SGA races just a little nod to it here and there. (earth is funding the program after all so it makes sense that they might ask for advice from the experts one alien tech which happen to be actual aliens). That being said the asgard making an occasional appearance back in season 2 was cool though.
              sigpic

Comment

Not in this episode. This episode was a freaking masterpiece. Nothing could have made it any better. This episode wasn't supposed to be about the aliens, or food for the "Science & Tech" forum people. You'll notice that even though it was a heavily defended Wraith world, they didn't waste any time showing some pointless Wraith battle that we know they would have won anyway.

I don't think adding 10 seconds of dialog with a Tok'ra going "Sorry can't help" would have added anything. Theres no reason for it, other than to appeal to a few people who miss the Tok'ra. That sort of writing where you just appeal to nostalgia or familiarity is really frowned upon. It's also called "fan service".
                Last edited by NKDietrich; 22 August 2008, 09:47 PM.

Comment

simplest in-universe answer: the tok'ra couldn't get there in time. They said Jeanie barely made it.

Comment

I actually didn't think about that at all. Maybe off-screen they did contact the tok'ra but they said that they were unable to help. This seemed like a different kind of parasite than the Goa'uld were so maybe they did not have the proper knowledge. And like DeRoest said, they would not have been able to get there in time.
                    That is just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by DeRoest View Post
                      simplest in-universe answer: the tok'ra couldn't get there in time. They said Jeanie barely made it.
                      Exactly. They dropped her off at the first possible Stargate in the Pegasus Galaxy, just to get her to see her brother before he dies (should they not find a cure). Time was definitely a major part in the equation.

Whereas contacting the Tok'ra would involve them;

1. considering it
                      2. sending someone to the SGC
                      3. having the daedalus beam them up
                      4. travelling a minimum of 10 days to the Pegasus Galaxy
                      5. sending the Tok'ra rep. to New Lantea.

Which in the end would likely have been that Rodney either died before the Tok'ra got there, or the Tok'ra simply not knowing a cure for the illness. I think both Teyla and Ronan would've had a better shot at finding a cure than a Tok'ra from millions of light-years away...

Oh wait... THEY DID know a "cure" of sorts.

Comment

maybe the tok'ra didn't want top help, maybe they just don't like Mckay. lol.

"Can you guys come to the Pegasus galaxy?"

"Eh."

Comment

Our relations with the Tok'ra aren't exactly as strong as when Lantash was around. Delek is a jerk.
                          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Only the Asgard could have removed the parasite.
                            sigpic
                            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                            ~David Hewlett

Comment

They mentioned the Tok'ra in S&R
                              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Working...
                              X