Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two primary targets waiting to be taken out, but no action!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two primary targets waiting to be taken out, but no action!?

Hello.

I understand the wish of all of them to help Rodney, and that the priority of the mission was to say good bye to him and give him the chance of doing the same, however, in any of the scenarios brought up before the jumper left Atlantis, Rodney wasn't returning to Atlantis.

Sheppard and his time left Atlantis with the knowledge that there were to Wraith Hives on the planets surface along with 10,000 Wraiths.

That has to be a very juicy target!

Why didn't Sheppard take to tactical nukes to either plant on the Hives for later detonation or to be dropped from the jumper's Bombay?

OK... Maybe they didn't have the nukes in Atlantis, but they did have a 304 on the way to Atlantis that is always full of them. The 304 drops out of Hyper-space, beams the nukes above the Hives (outside their jamming field), and let gravity take the nukes where they should be.

Why didn't we hear any sort of planing to destroy those 2 Hives that were obviously so vulnerable?

In my opinion, that was a good episode and if they destroyed the Hives or at least attempted to do so, that would've been the cherry, it would've made the episode more complete and believable in the context of the series, it would have made a good episode a very good or even excellent episode.

Because it would have taken the focus away from the A story.

Comment

Saving Rodney's life was a top priority. Engaging 10 000 angry wraith who may detect a plan to destroy them wouldn't exactly help the team's cause. And nukes could've potentially destroyed the shrine and therefore any hope of saving Rodney.

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
        Saving Rodney's life was a top priority. Engaging 10 000 angry wraith who may detect a plan to destroy them wouldn't exactly help the team's cause. And nukes could've potentially destroyed the shrine and therefore any hope of saving Rodney.
        I couldn't have said it any better myself. Besides, this was a character-driven episode, not an action-driven one.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by mago1978 View Post
          Why didn't we hear any sort of planing to destroy those 2 Hives that were obviously so vulnerable?
          Vulnerable? Did you see what they had to do just to get past them when they gated into the planet? I thought they made it pretty clear the hives where anything but vulnerable.
          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
            Besides, this was a character-driven episode, not an action-driven one.

Comment

Yea, for all we know, there could have been a hive or two in orbit, too.

Comment

Originally posted by CptSneed View Post
                I couldn't have said it any better myself. Besides, this was a character-driven episode, not an action-driven one.
                Everything that they said.

Also how do you know they didn't do that. Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. If you take it as a "real" universe they would destroy it, therefor it is safe to assume, they did, or at least planned it.
                Colonel Vlad Cole, USAF
                Stargate Gaming Clan - SGC

SGC Video [ Hi-Res | Lo-Res ]

Comment

Originally posted by CptSneed View Post
                  Engage the Wraith after they are done with Rodney's situation, or don't engage them with the Jumper and leave the job for a 304.

The point is that they are still fighting a war, and they just lost a great opportunity to strike the enemy.

As far as the focus of the story goes, the writers could have made it work.
                  The story line of the SG1 episode S06E21 - Prophecy, was some what similar.
                  Jonas needed a brain surgery and at the same time SG1 was running an op. against a Goa'uld. I know, I know... it was all part of the same story line (it was all about the visions Jonas was having), but the writers made it work. I'm sure the writers could've worked in an attack on the Hives.

The attack on the Hives wouldn't have to be a major part of the story, just something cool that neatly ties up the story.

Comment

Again, you don't know that they didn't.

And in Prophecy, the writers set up the jeopardy in a way that the team is in danger, not Jonas. Here, it was Rodney who was in jeopardy. I mean at the beginning of the episode, they pretty much set up that he is gonna die.
                    Colonel Vlad Cole, USAF

Comment

How were they supposed to coordinate this attack? The trick was making the Wraith think they checked it out with the MALP, but were deterred when it was blown up. Reactivating the gate to send messages back and forth would give away that something was up. There goes the element of surprise.

Comment

No I think Mago meant that they could of shown at the end of the episode the Daedalus just nuking the crap out of the planet. Though come to think of it, do they still have them? I mean with the Asgard weapons, and the fact that the can't beam them on to the hives, would they still take the risk of having them on board.
                        Colonel Vlad Cole, USAF

Comment

Since when a character-driven episode precludes the use of action??

Originally posted by Vlad View Post
                          No I think Mago meant that they could of shown at the end of the episode the Daedalus just nuking the crap out of the planet.
                          Correct. As I said on my original post, it would've been the cherry, the icing on the cake.
                          Last edited by mago1978; 22 August 2008, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mago1978 View Post
                            Correct. As I said on my original post, it would've been the cherry, the icing on the cake.
                            There I have to disagree. I think that it would totally take away the episode from the character development. Take a look at the last scene. If you put in a huge explosion after "I love you. I have for quite some time" (paraphrasing) it would not fit at all.
                            Colonel Vlad Cole, USAF

Comment

just a thought...

If they nuked the planet they'd risk destroying the shrine abd that would be a shame, since this "second childhood" disease is not all that uncommon in the PG

hhhhhhmmmmmm??????

Comment

Working...
                              X