Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wait a while until a proper Stargate movie?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait a while until a proper Stargate movie?

Okay, i never watched X-Files (excpet perhaps to hear the theme tune) but i'd be right in saying it's a relatively old series. (correct me if im wrong) Now they have an X-Files movie out on the big screen, so.. do you think it would be prudent to give SG-1 movies a break, (and perhaps the stargate franchise) and perhaps in a couple of years, MGM could green light a theatrical stargate movie? To reboot the franchise, then start Stargate: Universe could begin and by then they would have had more planning (perhaps news writers) and the new series could be really well planned, designed etc.. and be a fantasitc new series to satisfy fans. Which in the long run, im sure we all want to see.
    "There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind"

Woolsey: That sounded like another explosion.
    O'Neill: Yes. Yes it did.
    Woolsey: What does that mean?
    O'Neill: Something exploded...

sigpic

If you look at the number, the X-Files movie did terribly. The series had been over too long and no one was interested anymore.

I love Stargate but a series that gets a 1.2 or 1.3 rating will not make a big enough splash on the big screen to be worth the investment. Not to mention I don't think the format would translate well.

The idea of a theatrical release was mulled over by the producers and such but they decided the DVD movies were a smarter choice, and they were right.

Comment

Originally posted by NKDietrich View Post
      If you look at the number, the X-Files movie did terribly. The series had been over too long and no one was interested anymore.

I love Stargate but a series that gets a 1.2 or 1.3 rating will not make a big enough splash on the big screen to be worth the investment. Not to mention I don't think the format would translate well.

The idea of a theatrical release was mulled over by the producers and such but they decided the DVD movies were a smarter choice, and they were right.
      oh, i'd never seen how well the X-Files movie did actually. But i think the stargare franchise is bigger, so the concept of a theatrical movie might be more successful?

But keep in mind, the ratings dont reflect everything. If you take into account the worldwide fanbase, people who watch it online, DVR it etc.. Stargate does much better. However i have no problem with DVD movies, if it means getting some new, original stories thats all im happy with. I just thought a theatrical movie would be a good way to reboot and help grow the franchise.
      "There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind"

Woolsey: That sounded like another explosion.
      O'Neill: Yes. Yes it did.
      Woolsey: What does that mean?
      O'Neill: Something exploded...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NKDietrich View Post

you should check out the live +7 numbers
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by lewisco View Post
          okay, i never watched x-files (excpet perhaps to hear the theme tune) but i'd be right in saying it's a relatively old series. (correct me if im wrong) now they have an x-files movie out on the big screen, so.. Do you think it would be prudent to give sg-1 movies a break, (and perhaps the stargate franchise) and perhaps in a couple of years, mgm could green light a theatrical stargate movie? To reboot the franchise, then start stargate: Universe could begin and by then they would have had more planning (perhaps news writers) and the new series could be really well planned, designed etc.. And be a fantasitc new series to satisfy fans. Which in the long run, im sure we all want to see.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by Lewisco View Post
            oh, i'd never seen how well the X-Files movie did actually. But i think the stargare franchise is bigger, so the concept of a theatrical movie might be more successful?

But keep in mind, the ratings dont reflect everything. If you take into account the worldwide fanbase, people who watch it online, DVR it etc.. Stargate does much better. However i have no problem with DVD movies, if it means getting some new, original stories thats all im happy with. I just thought a theatrical movie would be a good way to reboot and help grow the franchise.
            The X-Files movie has made quite a lot in profits considering the stupid opening date they chose (next to Batman), and baring in mind that the real profits these days are DVDs, it's still got a lot of money to make.

Viva la X-Files!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
              The X-Files movie has made quite a lot in profits considering the stupid opening date they chose (next to Batman), and baring in mind that the real profits these days are DVDs, it's still got a lot of money to make.

Viva la X-Files!
              They're almost on par now

Domestic: $20,590,878 69.7%
              + Foreign: $8,935,103 30.3%
              = Worldwide: $29,525,981
              Production Budget: $30 million

There's still DVD sales and TV screenings to consider...

Comment

From what I heard they'd achieved 20 million in PROFITS not just getting them on par.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yeah the X-Files movie didn't do terribly. I love the X-Files lol
                  I'd love to see a large budget Stargate SG-1 film, i was just talking about this yesterday, my brother said he doesn't think they will cause their tv actors(we know they've been in films too). They're really great actors & films like Cloverfield are using unknown actors so i don't know why SG-1 cast can't be in a big movie. It would be great if the director who made the original Stargate movie, Roland Emmerich made it & used effects like he used in 10,000 BC.

Comment

yea i thought the x-files movie was ok, it's funny because i only got into because my dad liked it and yet he for all intents and purposes hates sci-fi. then i started to watch it and i liked it and i hope they make another x-files movie, the creators said that if they make another one, it would take place in 2012 with the alien invasion, so i hope they make it.

KEEP IT CLEAN
                    Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                    Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Originally posted by welshgater View Post
                      Yeah the X-Files movie didn't do terribly. I love the X-Files lol
                      I'd love to see a large budget Stargate SG-1 film, i was just talking about this yesterday, my brother said he doesn't think they will cause their tv actors(we know they've been in films too). They're really great actors & films like Cloverfield are using unknown actors so i don't know why SG-1 cast can't be in a big movie. It would be great if the director who made the original Stargate movie, Roland Emmerich made it & used effects like he used in 10,000 BC.

The budget for Cloverfield and X-files wasn't that big compared to some of the bigger movies out there. Ben Browder, Amanda Tapping and co. are not on that big wages compared to other major film actors. The majority of Cloverfield was shot on a single HD video camera, and the budget mainly went on the sets and visual effects. Using the unknown actors worked well! (Maybe JJ Abrams should do the next Stargate film lol) The Stargate producers have shown they can do similar with budgets alot less than $30m. And as for Roland Emmerich, if he was to make the next Stargate film that would be a great way to ruin the franchise!
                      Last edited by mattyg1987; 23 August 2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyg1987 View Post
                        The budget to Cloverfield and X-files wasn't that big compared to some of the bigger movies out there. Ben Browder and Amanda Tapping anc co. aint on that big wages compared to major film actors. The majority of Cloverfield was shoit on a single HD video camera, and the budget mainly went on the sets and visual effects. The Stargate producers have shown they can do similar with budgets alot less than that. And as for Roland Emmerich, if he was to make the next Stargate film that would be a great way to ruin the franchise!
                        Yes the effects on SG-1 & Atlantis are excellent, fair enough if thats how u feel.

Comment

Isn't Roland Emmerich still in talks with MGM to get the sequel to the original made? Thats the only way I can see us getting a theatrical release. I really wish they would make the sequel, I'd love to see how it was (and I use the word with caution) supposed to continue.
                          I've never watched an episode of the X-Files in my life but I was thinking about going to see the movie, I didn't but I was thinking about it! I'd say if they did release an SG-1/Atlantis movie in the cinema, a good few people would go see it just to see what it was. And if they make it for around ten million I'm sure they could make a decent enough profit.
                          sigpic
                          Ten Years, A Lot Of Enemies, A Presumed Death, A Complete Back Story Rewrite....But Still Looking Good!

Comment

The X Files is very popular, something most people are familiar with. That's why it worked as a feature film at the movie theater, twice. SG-1 is nowhere near that popular. It's popular among people who like science-fiction, but not the average movie goer. Making DVD movies and aiming them at people who watch the show rather than casual viewers was a good move. Honestly, I don't care wether the movies are theatrical or not. The only difference is in the movie's budget. They were bigger than episodes of the show. That's good enough for me. Personally, I found both movies to be very entertaining. Also keep in mind that DVD movies can be made relatively fast where as a theatrical movie can take years. The X Files: I Want to Believe was suppose to come out right after the show ended in 2002. It didn't happen until 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                              The X Files is very popular, something most people are familiar with. That's why it worked as a feature film at the movie theater, twice. SG-1 is nowhere near that popular. It's popular among people who like science-fiction, but not the average movie goer. Making DVD movies and aiming them at people who watch the show rather than casual viewers was a good move. Honestly, I don't care wether the movies are theatrical or not. The only difference is in the movie's budget. They were bigger than episodes of the show. That's good enough for me. Personally, I found both movies to be very entertaining. Also keep in mind that DVD movies can be made relatively fast where as a theatrical movie can take years. The X Files: I Want to Believe was suppose to come out right after the show ended in 2002. It didn't happen until 2008.
                              Only due to legal reasons it took less than a year to film and get out into cinemas.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X