This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Navy?!"

One of my favorite scenes from Continuum is when General Landry is explaining the situation to Sam, Cam and Daniel in the aircraft hanger in the alternate timeline.

At one point he mentions that the U.S, Navy is setting up the stargate program, to which both Sam and Cam stare at each other and silently mouth the word "Navy?!" with exasperation.

I loved that little moment. They way they played it was great; it made me laugh out loud.

Originally posted by Mcfergeson View Post
    One of my favorite scenes from Continuum is when General Landry is explaining the situation to Sam, Cam and Daniel in the aircraft hanger in the alternate timeline.

At one point he mentions that the U.S, Navy is setting up the stargate program, to which both Sam and Cam stare at each other and silently mouth the word "Navy?!" with exasperation.

I loved that little moment. They way they played it was great; it made me laugh out loud.
    I guess because they were intending to have Navy Seals and Marines, rather than Air Force/Army people.
    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Which would make sense for the ships of the later days but otherwise...

Anyway, if it were Britain, the Army would run it, they seem to do everything here...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

^ Yes, it seems strange to have starships under the command of the United States Air Force. Having them under a Naval command would be more natural. But the Stargate program wound up with the Air Force.

I just thought it was a fun little scene between Sam and Cam.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcfergeson
          ^ Yes, it seems strange to have starships under the command of the United States Air Force.
          really ? because AFAIK airspace is a tad "closer" to real space (technically speaking anyway). so going from airplane to spaceship is quite a smaller leap than from boat to spaceship - especially since unlike planes & starships, boats don't fly :|

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
            really ? because AFAIK airspace is a tad "closer" to real space (technically speaking anyway). so going from airplane to spaceship is quite a smaller leap than from boat to spaceship - especially since unlike planes & starships, boats don't fly :|
            Actually I'm afraid not.

Spaceships don't fly in the conventional sense. In fact strictly speaking, there's no flying involved. You need to consider that a ship such as the Daedalus is very different to an aircraft. Let's take the C-17 Globemaster. Absolutely massive aircraft. The captain of this aircraft is the pilot flying it. For the Air Force Captain means main pilot. Any AF captain has to be concerned about physically flying his aircraft. And, though many multi engine aircraft have crews, particularly AWACs for examlple, the dynamic is very different to that which you would see on a Naval Vessel.

For a Naval Vessel, the Captain has a completely different job. He runs the ship. He doesn't sail it. There are other people plotting courses and actually steering the damn thing. The captain orders when to fire and so on so forth, exactly the way in which Colonel Caldwell acts on his ship.

It's the difference between flying a 302 and a 304. It's very significant. The Air Force is adept at flying aircraft like the 302, but has no experience whatsoever of anything like a 304. The Navy however have decades of experience of commanding ships. In fact in many ways, I'd say the 304s are closest to submarines in their operation and running.

When you consider that you can get Naval Pilots as well, who would be ideal for the 302s, one has to wonder why the Navy aren't flying the fleet of battle cruisers in the Stargate world.

In reality, it currently makes sense for the USAF to be an "Air and Space" Force, because all operations conducted by them into space travel will be in vessels which work like aircraft, either fighter jets capable of breaking orbit, or the current space shuttles which are operated like any multi engine aircraft, and yet nothing like a 304.

Should real world space operations ever move to the stage where we have seperate pilots from the actual captain of a vessel, then the Navy would be more suited.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
              Should real world space operations ever move to the stage where we have seperate pilots from the actual captain of a vessel, then the Navy would be more suited.
              ok (yeah I only had space-fighters like the 302 in mind, I wasn't thinking of the big motherships like the 304 which are more analogous to boats than planes )

Comment

ok (yeah I only had space-fighters like the 302 in mind, I wasn't thinking of the big motherships like the 304 which are more analogous to boats than planes )
                Ahhh.

Fair enough.

If I was running Homeworld Security, I'd have Air Force pilots manning a Quick Reaction Force of 302s on earth for defending the planet ala The Lost City, and have Naval pilots flying the 302s in the 304s which would also be under Naval Control.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

guess it does make sense anyway since throughout sci-fi history space officers were always assigned navy-style ranks (ensign commodore admiral etc.) and groups of spaceships always referred to as "fleets"

Comment

I would agree that the Navy would be the best choice to operate our 304's beacuse they wont require the training of the new protocal of ship life the Navy already has that.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mcfergeson View Post

That was definitely one of the most hilarious and "WTF?!" moments in the whole of Stargate. I'm actually surprised this sort of thing has never been addressed, even in any of the previous alternate-timeline/reality episodes. I guess it was one cool way to make this story different to those previous episodes.
                      sigpic

Comment

To be honest, wouldn't it be more logical for some other division specifically designed for Stargate travel to be running the gate. Stargate Command is supposed to be run by the Airforce, but we almost never see them doing things like flying planes or stuff that one expects the Airforce to be doing, traditionally.
                        Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 26 August 2008, 12:45 PM.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                          To be honest, wouldn't it be more logical for some other division specifically designed for Stargate travel to be running the gate. Stargate Command is supposed to be run by the Airforce, but we almost never see them doing things like flying planes or stuff that one expects the Airforce to be doing, traditionally.
                          The Air Force does more than flying planes. Granted the majority of trades are in support of flying planes but still. They do use UAVs which is kind of an Air Force thing. But look at it this way, at the SGC's inception, hell before then, before the movie, who are you gonna task with running the gate?

The Navy? Noway. There's no ships to command, why would the Navy run something like this?

The Army? If it was Britain, yes, because for us the Army get to do every bloody thing (i(*is bitter*), but in the United States the Army is a different entity entirely. The Army is about massive land operations of winning campaigns and taking territory.

The Air Force? Well the USAF is also an Air and Space force, the USAF is, as far as I'm aware, the most cutting edge of any of the armed forces in America, they deal with a LOT of experimental technology and systems, and as General West suspected the device was alien it automatically fell under Air Force juristiction, which is sensible.

Anyway, I digress, the point is, there's more to the Air Force than planes, and I can't think of any other military arm at the start who is more appropriate for command of the Stargate.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

My thoughts exactly...

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                              The Air Force does more than flying planes. Granted the majority of trades are in support of flying planes but still. They do use UAVs which is kind of an Air Force thing. But look at it this way, at the SGC's inception, hell before then, before the movie, who are you gonna task with running the gate?

The Navy? Noway. There's no ships to command, why would the Navy run something like this?

The Army? If it was Britain, yes, because for us the Army get to do every bloody thing (i(*is bitter*), but in the United States the Army is a different entity entirely. The Army is about massive land operations of winning campaigns and taking territory.

The Air Force? Well the USAF is also an Air and Space force, the USAF is, as far as I'm aware, the most cutting edge of any of the armed forces in America, they deal with a LOT of experimental technology and systems, and as General West suspected the device was alien it automatically fell under Air Force juristiction, which is sensible.

Anyway, I digress, the point is, there's more to the Air Force than planes, and I can't think of any other military arm at the start who is more appropriate for command of the Stargate.
                              Well said. I agree entirely.

Comment

Working...
                              X