PDA

View Full Version : the ninth chevron and the 2 hour sgu movie

kufan76
August 22nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Ninth Chevron? Has this been hinted to in any way from sg1 or sga? I don't remember anything about it. If not then it was invented just for the show, which is bad imo, because new spinoffs, should in some way have a "real" connection to the other shows. By the way..

Here's how their two hour movie will go: (which I hope I am seriously wrong, because if I'm not wrong, then we will have the same as sga, which for those that want it cancelled won't like it, and those that liked it will be more determined to ask why was it cancelled?)

The first hour:
Explain the discovery of the ninth chevron, (assuming I'm right and it hasn't been discovered yet.) putting the team together, getting permission to go (this will undoubtedly be a "no" first, until they get whoever to say yes), have a segment watching them all get ready in the gate room, seeing all the new characters for the first time, and finally, mercifully, get there.

The second hour:
They get there and discover a major problem aboard the ship, that can kill everyone, they manage to fix it, and at the very last discover they can't go home...ever. fades out with the crew solidly determined in their spirit of exploration to "boldly go where no one has gone before" or er, yah, (at this point I'd already have an upset stomach.)

Quite a nice mix between SGA rising 1&2, and star trek don't ya think? Again I hope I'm wrong about this.

I also found it interesting that they are keeping the stages up for sg1 and sga.

Naonak
August 22nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Ninth Chevron? Has this been hinted to in any way from sg1 or sga? I don't remember anything about it. If not then it was invented just for the show, which is bad imo, because new spinoffs, should in some way have a "real" connection to the other shows.
Uh... There are nine of them on the gate...

Melak
August 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
as the previous poster said, the gate has always had nine chevrons, even way back in the original movie.

Screenshot from gateworld archives from first movie:http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/movies/stargate_movie/screencaps/normal_movie01_0417.JPG
Screenshot from archive The Fifth Race:http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season2/215-TheFifthRace/screencaps/normal_sg1_215_756.JPG
Screenshot from archive from Rising:http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season1/102-RisingPart2/screencaps/normal_atl_102_1739.JPG

Stargate's normally have nine chevrons. There have been special cases when there was less, but standard gates = nine chevrons.

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
What special cases?

Naonak
August 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
When the Atlantis CGI people screwed-up and only put eight on there... ;)

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Lol.. Fools.

Melak
August 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
yeah, that would be the special case I was referring too, and I think the only time that happened was in First Strike: http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season3/320-FirstStrike/screencaps/normal_atl_320_0697.JPG

BuggyMan
August 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
yeah, that would be the special case I was referring too, and I think the only time that happened was in First Strike: http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season3/320-FirstStrike/screencaps/normal_atl_320_0697.JPG

Ah, those pesky replicators always building incomplete stargates ... fools

Mclean
August 25th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah the 9 chevrons have always been there!

I'm excited about SGU (just as I was excited about SGA when it first started) as it will take the show in a new direction and give us some new characters too work with. Though I would like it better if Sam, Teal'c, Daniel, O'Niell and McKay had a part to play as I really like these characters!

jenks
August 25th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Naa it's happened loads of times, throughout season 4 and at least once in season 5 too...

Daniel Jackson
August 25th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Isn't Universe beginning with a two-hour episode, not a movie? :confused:

The6thRace
August 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
If you need a ZPM to dial 8 chevrons, does 9 require a ZPM to the 10th power?

Mike272
August 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM
If you need a ZPM to dial 8 chevrons, does 9 require a ZPM to the 10th power?

Probably, but well will find out soon! :)

Mike272
August 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Personally, I don't see what the big fuss is over Universe, I can't wait. Anyone else agree?

Buck32
August 25th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Ninth Chevron? Has this been hinted to in any way from sg1 or sga? I don't remember anything about it. If not then it was invented just for the show, which is bad imo, because new spinoffs, should in some way have a "real" connection to the other shows. By the way..

Here's how their two hour movie will go: (which I hope I am seriously wrong, because if I'm not wrong, then we will have the same as sga, which for those that want it cancelled won't like it, and those that liked it will be more determined to ask why was it cancelled?)

The first hour:
Explain the discovery of the ninth chevron, (assuming I'm right and it hasn't been discovered yet.) putting the team together, getting permission to go (this will undoubtedly be a "no" first, until they get whoever to say yes), have a segment watching them all get ready in the gate room, seeing all the new characters for the first time, and finally, mercifully, get there.

The second hour:
They get there and discover a major problem aboard the ship, that can kill everyone, they manage to fix it, and at the very last discover they can't go home...ever. fades out with the crew solidly determined in their spirit of exploration to "boldly go where no one has gone before" or er, yah, (at this point I'd already have an upset stomach.)

Quite a nice mix between SGA rising 1&2, and star trek don't ya think? Again I hope I'm wrong about this.

I also found it interesting that they are keeping the stages up for sg1 and sga.

Your real name isn't Brad Wright or Robert Cooper is it?

Ancavge
August 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM

are u talking about the screenshots up there or just in general?

Browncoat1984
August 25th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Lol, what episode was that? Kind of reminds me of when TNG screwed up and had the Enterprise firing phasers through the photon torpedo tubes. That was bad.

Gollumpus
August 26th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I'm kinda' interested in how they are going to explain the nine chevron dialing sequence in SGU.

My take on it:

In SG-1 it was established that a seven symbol/chevron sequence is needed to get to another world in this galaxy. The system dials a particular place in space, not any specific gate. The first six pegged the destination planet, and the seventh gives the originating planet.

Later in SG-1, and also for use in SGA, the eighth chevron was added to the sequence to represent a galaxy "area code". If memory serves, it comes last which has always kinda' bugged me. I would have thought the area code would come first, so that the system knows not to dial the local gate address of the first seven symbols which are input to the system. I also figured there should be an area code for both the destination and originating galaxies. (I don't recall there being some sort of hyphen or spacer in the dialing system.)

In SGU, the destination is a single ship (I'm assuming there will be a gate on the ship), which is moving through space, not just within a particular star system, not just within a particular galaxy, but it is actually moving to different galaxies. Access would be needed for maintenance or what-ever.

So, how will the SGU dialing sequence to Destiny work? Is there a specific address for the ship, with a change in the seventh and eighth symbols as needed? If this is the case, then why have a ninth chevron? You would be dialing a single, specific gate, not a general location. It seems a bit redundant to have a ninth, Destiny area code chevron. I suspect there will be some sort of "floating" gate address for Destiny. It seems to be more in keeping with the way things work.

I assume there will be the traditional six symbol sequence representing the "current" gate address of the planet which the ship is orbiting, and the seventh for the point of origin. The eighth is for the galaxy while the ninth represents the Destiny. The first six symbols would change with each new location Destiny seeds with a gate, with additional potential for a change in a galaxy chevron. The ninth, or Destiny chevron, directs traffic to the gate on the ship rather than to the planetary gate. This does not address the possibility of how does anyone get to the ship if it is in between gates and lends support to a ship specific gate address.

This gives folks two problems to deal with: power (as always); and having to figure gate addresses which are constantly being scrambled.

Or, they'll come up with something else... :)

regards,
G.

Flyboy
August 26th, 2008, 01:21 AM
They could just dial to the Destiny's launch pad or something in another galaxy, which would then have a means of gating to Destiny...

unluckynumber11
August 26th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Isn't Universe beginning with a two-hour episode, not a movie? :confused:

same difference, Sg-1 and atlantis began with movies/two episodes. it could be said either way

leiasky
August 26th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I've been with this franchise from the beginning and while I'm not as much of a fan of SGA as I was of SG1, I'll give it a chance. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a cast of all mid-20's with angsty relationship issues.

I'd hate for Stargate to go the way of BSG or ST Voyager. But, I'll give it a chance.

SelmakWarrior
August 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM
After thinking about it, I'm not that fussed about SGA getting cancelled, as there will be movies, anyway...

What if it is A 1 symbol address? you dont dial Chevron 1-8, just nine. Although it wouldn't be very dramatic" Chevron nine locked, god speed."