• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I09: The Worst Fake Accents From The Yanks (And Canucks) Of Science Fiction

August 22 2008

http://io9.com/5040296/the-worst-fak...cience-fiction

The Worst Fake Accents From The Yanks (And Canucks) Of Science Fiction

A few weeks ago we gave you the best and the worst of fake American accents from science fiction's army of Brits, who are slowly taking over the genre. But there's an even bigger problem out there: American and Canadian science fiction actors who mangle and mumble their way through a whole range of fake accents. Click through for our list of the ten biggest accent failures, with clips.
    This week the worst accents in scifi attempted by American and Canadian actors. Click through to find out who made it and who was too comprehensible.

9) Amanda Tapping as Helen Magnus in Sanctuary. I really want to like this new Sci Fi Channel show, especially since the monsters look amazing — but I'm worried Tapping's dreadful accent will get in the way. It sounds completely forced in all the clips I've seen so far, but I'll guess I'll have to wait until October 3 to make my full assessment.

8) Dr. Peter Grodin from Stargate Atlantis. I didn't even realize this was an accent until someone told me. Perhaps this is just the way he actually sounds in real life? The Canadian actor Craig Veroni lived in Cape Town until age eight, but still doesn't really justifying dropping that hard of a dialect in and out as he pleases.

Originally posted by prion View Post
    August 22 2008

http://io9.com/5040296/the-worst-fak...cience-fiction

The Worst Fake Accents From The Yanks (And Canucks) Of Science Fiction

A few weeks ago we gave you the best and the worst of fake American accents from science fiction's army of Brits, who are slowly taking over the genre. But there's an even bigger problem out there: American and Canadian science fiction actors who mangle and mumble their way through a whole range of fake accents. Click through for our list of the ten biggest accent failures, with clips.
    This week the worst accents in scifi attempted by American and Canadian actors. Click through to find out who made it and who was too comprehensible.

9) Amanda Tapping as Helen Magnus in Sanctuary. I really want to like this new Sci Fi Channel show, especially since the monsters look amazing — but I'm worried Tapping's dreadful accent will get in the way. It sounds completely forced in all the clips I've seen so far, but I'll guess I'll have to wait until October 3 to make my full assessment.

8) Dr. Peter Grodin from Stargate Atlantis. I didn't even realize this was an accent until someone told me. Perhaps this is just the way he actually sounds in real life? The Canadian actor Craig Veroni lived in Cape Town until age eight, but still doesn't really justifying dropping that hard of a dialect in and out as he pleases.
    You did know that Amanda Tapping was born and lived in England for awhile before her family moved to Canada? And since her character is something like 158 years old, her accent is probably a combination of all the various changes in the British accent throughout those years to what she sounds like in this day and age?

And if you really don't like her accent, just ignore it and watch the show. I'd hate for the sound of somebody's accent to get in the way of enjoying the show.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      You did know that Amanda Tapping was born and lived in England for awhile before her family moved to Canada? And since her character is something like 158 years old, her accent is probably a combination of all the various changes in the British accent throughout those years to what she sounds like in this day and age?

And if you really don't like her accent, just ignore it and watch the show. I'd hate for the sound of somebody's accent to get in the way of enjoying the show.
      I know, but don't know if the reviewer of that article knows. I do find something off when I hear it in the ads, but I'll wait for the actual show to decide myself.

Comment

You do realize that prion's posted an article, and not her actual opinion, right?

Comment

» Amanda's Sanctuary accent doesn't annoy me at all, but Grodin's does.

Comment

that's a hugely subjective list of accents he finds annoying, hardly a list of the objectively worst fake accents.

And why is only From The Yanks and Canuks? The worst fake accent period is Connery doing a Russian one in Hunt for Red October. But who cares? Its a good movie.

Comment

I have to say as a Brit, James Marsters accent in Buffy was pretty good so can't understand why hes even on that list.
              Last edited by BritAngie; 23 August 2008, 03:56 AM.

Comment

I'd have to agree with him, her accent in Sanctuary was absolutely awful. I can only hope she's practiced a bit more and improved it since the webisodes.

Comment

Just what is the accent the reviewer is complaining about? The character lived in England 157 years ago. Surely accents have not stayed stagnant since then. There are numerous English accents. The character no longer lives in England and has lived all over the world. Bound to influence the accent.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                  X