This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats rough

jeez, after reading the newest news on sgu, on how the ship cant stop really is harsh. Now the team has an ever present time limit. Get on or stay there for all of eternity. great idea. but there must be some type of ship or stargate to keep in contact with a race, what if they are more powerful than the ancients. we can never talk with them again.

but the biggist worry about this is that it will become too confusing. hear me out. there really cant be any enemy because the ship is always moving. every episode or two will be on a diffrent planet or a diffrent location. its a great idea for a show, and i hope the writers will be able to solve these problems and more

Hopefuly by tweaking the premise into something that actualy makes sense.

Comment

I thought the ship was meant to be following the course of another ship that seeded the Stargates in new galaxies? If thats still true then shouldn't there be a gate network in whatever galaxy the ship is currently in? If the team is able to see the ship's course through the galaxy and know the location of the next planet the ship will visit... all they have to do is get to that planet and gate back on board

Although... if the ship has a Stargate on board and the team knows its course.. they should be able to work out its address based on its position in space and as long as its not out of range they can always gate back....

I'm worried about the potential for long term enemies/allies too... but it really depends on how fast the ship is moving... Do we get an enemy for one season and then move on to another galaxy with new enemies/allies? Would stop them getting boring but doesn't allow for much development.

Comment

as I said in the SGU thread, jumping to different points within a certain period of time and encountering different dangers reminds me a lot of "daedalus variations". (or vice versa)

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
          as I said in the SGU thread, jumping to different points within a certain period of time and encountering different dangers reminds me a lot of "daedalus variations". (or vice versa)
          true it also reminds me of s1 of Atlantis when the expedition wasn't able to contact Earth
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
            I'm worried about the potential for long term enemies/allies too... but it really depends on how fast the ship is moving... Do we get an enemy for one series and then move on to another galaxy with new enemies/allies? Would stop them getting boring but doesn't allow for much development.
            A lot of people would regard enemies with little or no development somewhat boring. I'm hoping it won't be a case of a different set of baddies every week who are there just as cannon fodder.

Ex-Wraith in different makeup each week would be entertaining for anyone who wants to play ex-Wraith spotting but this wouldn't be every viewer. So why ex-Wraith? Well, they'd know how to fall over and this would be an essential skill for 'baddies of the week' who are just there as cannon fodder.
            sigpic

Comment

I thought the ship was meant to be following the course of another ship that seeded the Stargates in new galaxies?
              I was under the impression that the Ancients were supposed to follow the ship that seeded the gates but never left due to ascension and other reasons.

Although... if the ship has a Stargate on board and the team knows its course.. they should be able to work out its address based on its position in space and as long as its not out of range they can always gate back....
              I'd like to see them have no idea where the ship is headed, but have a gate on board for use. This would force them to leave someone behind that merely needs to dial the planet the off-world team is on to give them the new address to the ship's gate.

A changing home gate address also has tremendous defensive advantages.
              "Each and everything in the universe is nothing other than the perfect manifestation of the essential nature. If you realize this fact, you will find that your own self nature exists in completeness, from the beginningless past into the endless future."

Comment

but i am under the impression that the ship is constantly moving, so the gate would work only when the ship has stopped. tptb has to have a good plot line for this,

Comment

Originally posted by striker7770 View Post
                  but i am under the impression that the ship is constantly moving, so the gate would work only when the ship has stopped. tptb has to have a good plot line for this,
                  Maybe the constantly moving ship is how we end up with a young main cast. All the older, experienced personnel go off to explore the first planet they come to and get left behind because they don't know about the time limit.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'd imagine the ship would have to land or be in orbit for the gate to be seeded. The question is how long it takes to complete the job...
                    "Each and everything in the universe is nothing other than the perfect manifestation of the essential nature. If you realize this fact, you will find that your own self nature exists in completeness, from the beginningless past into the endless future."

Comment

Originally posted by striker7770 View Post
                      jeez, after reading the newest news on sgu, on how the ship cant stop really is harsh. Now the team has an ever present time limit. Get on or stay there for all of eternity. great idea.
                      "Sliders" in space?
                      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Meh, with Stargate's luck with ships, the thing will blow up in the first season finale and SGU will be over nearly before it begins.
                        Wow, thanks for ruining my day and canceling SGA, Sci-Fi. Not even McKay can make me feel better now

Comment

Originally posted by CStads View Post
                          I'd imagine the ship would have to land or be in orbit for the gate to be seeded. The question is how long it takes to complete the job...
                          I can imagine there being a different time for each world so each episode isn't under the same time constraint, and then the crew will discover the minimum time period to seed a planet.

Comment

Well it be more interesting if they would be jumping into different dimentions, oh wait thats been done. (Sliders I miss that show ) Oh and Daedalus Variations ,ahh nuts

Comment

Originally posted by jakebolt View Post
                              Well it be more interesting if they would be jumping into different dimentions, oh wait thats been done. (Sliders I miss that show ) Oh and Daedalus Variations ,ahh nuts
                              How about a compromise? Hire Jerry O'Connell as the lead!

Comment

Working...
                              X