PDA

View Full Version : Younger audience?

unluckynumber11
August 22nd, 2008, 06:19 AM
what exactly does that mean? it better not mean sg-1 from 200, I'm 15 and i already like the franchise as it is. and i'm a little sceptical about the new cast, the reason atlantis was a good spin off was becasue it included old characters and new characters. now this is all new people with one past known actor that people have heard of. I know it's like the begining of sg-1 that has all these new people, but can lightning strike twice (figurativly, i know it can strike twice in reality ;))

Jeff O'Connor
August 22nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
I really don't think they're talking about a rehash of the target audience for Stargate Infinity, and very, very few others do, for that matter.

While I, myself, am 'cautiously optimistic' about the spinoff, I don't believe Mr. Wright's 'younger audience' comment should be taken as an auto-kill or anything. Keep an open mind if at all possible and we'll see what's what soon enough.

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
As I've said before, think "Spooks: Code 9"

Jeff O'Connor
August 22nd, 2008, 06:26 AM

I really, really don't want to!

Madwelshboy
August 22nd, 2008, 06:40 AM

Well its entertaining;)

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 06:42 AM
That's because it's dark. Take away the darkness and I wouldn't watch. I nearly didn't in the first place because of that God awful slogan (For Queen, For Country, For Kicks), and drinking games within the first 20 minutes of ep 1.

Reiko
August 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
200 was a vision of the future. Universe's ship zip code will be 90210. It's now clearer than ever.

unluckynumber11
August 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=Reiko;8802427] 200 was a vision of the future. Universe's ship zip code will be 90210. It's now clearer than ever.[/QUOTE

of course, of course

VOOK
August 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
So everyone thinks that because in 200, a satirical look at Stargate they did that "Young SG1" section that the entire show "was a preview" or a look into the future of what Universe is going to be?

Don't you people know anything of satire? If ANYTHING they're going to make it the complete opposite of that as they were the ones making fun of it.
The complete and utter double standards on here appals me, fandom complains and whinges that Continuum and Atlantis have no or little character development or ships or whatever and when they tweak the Stargate formula to concentrate on the people a little everyone is all "OMG It's Melrose Place!!!111!".

I seriously cannot stand to read the GateWorld forums when the Anti Brigade is out, it makes me absolutely sick to the stomach that you call all yourself fans. If I was Brad Wright reading these forums I'd just "why bother, nothing we do makes anyone happy" but I hope he realise's everyone is not a complete child when judging a show you know little about.

Have some patience and maturity and wait until you know more before you jump over one line in a press release with no context.

I've been watching Stargate since I was 10 years old, I'll take whatever Stargate I am given.

Reiko
August 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
I seriously cannot stand to read the GateWorld forums when the Anti Brigade is out, it makes me absolutely sick to the stomach that you call all yourself fans.

Hey, hey, calm down. "Anti" is a very selective term. Everyone has "Anti feelings" at the moment, but that does not make them an Anti. Yes, the Anti's are a calm and collected, snarky select group of fans unhappy with the changes in SGA S4 and S5.

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
So everyone thinks that because in 200, a satirical look at Stargate they did that "Young SG1" section that the entire show "was a preview" or a look into the future of what Universe is going to be?

Don't you people know anything of satire? If ANYTHING they're going to make it the complete opposite of that as they were the ones making fun of it.
The complete and utter double standards on here appals me, fandom complains and whinges that Continuum and Atlantis have no or little character development or ships or whatever and when they tweak the Stargate formula to concentrate on the people a little everyone is all "OMG It's Melrose Place!!!111!".

I seriously cannot stand to read the GateWorld forums when the Anti Brigade is out, it makes me absolutely sick to the stomach that you call all yourself fans. If I was Brad Wright reading these forums I'd just "why bother, nothing we do makes anyone happy" but I hope he realise's everyone is not a complete child when judging a show you know little about.

Have some patience and maturity and wait until you know more before you jump over one line in a press release with no context.

I've been watching Stargate since I was 10 years old, I'll take whatever Stargate I am given.
I'm not anti, usually I'm very neutral, for once something has angered me.

I don't think 200 is what we're expecting at all. But I've just had one of my favourite shows (Spooks) release a spin off called Spooks Code 9 which is EXACTLY what theyre talking about here, younger and for the new generation. They're not teens, they're early 20 year old Mi5 officers in a post nuclear explosion Britain, and they enjoy clubbing and drinking. It is not good.

VOOK
August 22nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
Hey, hey, calm down. "Anti" is a very selective term. Everyone has "Anti feelings" at the moment, but that does not make them an Anti. Yes, the Anti's are a calm and collected, snarky select group of fans unhappy with the changes in SGA S4 and S5.

I'm as annoyed with the ending of Atlantis as anyone here, but apart from doing my blog and signing the petition I can't do anything. But I'm not going to rip into a new Stargate show before I know anything about it.

No one was this negative when Atlantis started.

I don't think 200 is what we're expecting at all. But I've just had one of my favourite shows (Spooks) release a spin off called Spooks Code 9 which is EXACTLY what theyre talking about here, younger and for the new generation. They're not teens, they're early 20 year old Mi5 officers in a post nuclear explosion Britain, and they enjoy clubbing and drinking. It is not good.

By the way some people are carrying on they do think that and its a shame people can't settle for a few days and then think about it.

I had a look into the Spooks/Code 9 thing and yeah it's for a younger generation "Thing" but it's not made by TPTB and it's not a Stargate show - which if we're going to judge Universe from single lines in the PR "will retain the stargate we know".

Could it turn out bad? Yeah, but don't condem it without giving it a go.

Reiko
August 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
I'm as annoyed with the ending of Atlantis as anyone here, but apart from doing my blog and signing the petition I can't do anything. But I'm not going to rip into a new Stargate show before I know anything about it.

See, that's the difference between us Stinky Sock Asso Anti's and the rest of you guys that are upset. (We're not ripping the show either, just having fun going wild with the younger cast premise.) We were already upset at the end of season three. We're done mourning, while your's has just begun. :o

prion
August 22nd, 2008, 09:06 AM

Nobody really thinks you'll get the "200" parody, but going for a younger vibe does entail plots like that... It's the way TV is. The line many people dislike is Wright's description of "young and desperate" explorers. Considering that SGA started it cast in their 30s, I'm sure this cast will be predominantly in their twenties.

THe thing is that if they bring over the writers from sGA to SGU, you're going to get the same thing. So, if they do want a fresh series, ditch the writers, bring in new ones.

And no, there wasn't much character development in the SG1 movies.

However, if the new incarnation of the 'franchise' is going to be like BSG, or Melrose Place ;), then no, sorry, I won't take any Stargate that's given.

DanJack
August 22nd, 2008, 09:07 AM

I can understand your perspective, as I tend to be a "give it a chance" kind of person myself. However, try to see where a lot of people are coming from too. I think one of the absolute worst trends that has happened in the last 15 years of genre shows is studios seeming need to try to make many of them star highschoolers. Frankly I hope that's not the direction the series is taking, as that could really mess up the franchise IMHO.

Having said that, I still find the basic concept intriguing and I hope the show turns out well. However, I would lreally ike to see at least one or two established popular characters from SG-1/SGA make the jump (Caldwell/Jonas come to mind immediately). I just really don't want to see Stargate: "Charmed Universe" or Stargate: "The Wraith Slayer" anytime soon.

VOOK
August 22nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Nobody really thinks you'll get the "200" parody, but going for a younger vibe does entail plots like that... It's the way TV is. The line many people dislike is Wright's description of "young and desperate" explorers. Considering that SGA started it cast in their 30s, I'm sure this cast will be predominantly in their twenties.

However, if the new incarnation of the 'franchise' is going to be like BSG, or Melrose Place ;), then no, sorry, I won't take any Stargate that's given.

Well we'll just have to wait for more information. I'll be in the 'cautiously but extremely optimistic' corner. It's more freaking Stargate!

DanJack; I would like a SGA/SG1 character on the show, SGA had the Rodney throwback, so I think we need some throw back.

unluckynumber11
August 22nd, 2008, 09:10 AM

i not trying to be negative, i'm only sceptical, at best. I took SU with a grain of salt, but with what they've given us, it's resonable to be sceptical. I am not anti, but the whole 200 thing, i know it was a joke and i was puting it the other way because i trhink i can say for everyone here that that's DEFINATLY NOT what we want from stargate. and for the record i think we need the anti-brigade out there, i don't like what they're saying sometimes, but they are Scully to our Mulder.

Naonak
August 22nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
i not trying to be negative, i'm only sceptical, at best. I took SU with a grain of salt, but with what they've given us, it's resonable to be sceptical. I am not anti, but the whole 200 thing, i know it was a joke and i was puting it the other way because i trhink i can say for everyone here that that's DEFINATLY NOT what we want from stargate. and for the record i think we need the anti-brigade out there, i don't like what they're saying sometimes, but they are Scully to our Mulder.
... And Mulder was always far cooler... :p

I_haz_a_Cookie
August 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
i can see it now, the crew stuck in a ship cant get home with there raging hormones.....i can only fathom what they meant by targeting a younger audience

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM

By the way some people are carrying on they do think that and its a shame people can't settle for a few days and then think about it.

I had a look into the Spooks/Code 9 thing and yeah it's for a younger generation "Thing" but it's not made by TPTB and it's not a Stargate show - which if we're going to judge Universe from single lines in the PR "will retain the stargate we know".

Could it turn out bad? Yeah, but don't condem it without giving it a go.
Oh I'm not boycotting it, I will watch it and give it a chance. I'm not that petty, but it doesn't stop me for being annoted with TPTB, it's not JUST the younger element, which DOES annoy me even though I'm envisioning it being early 20s, not teens, such moves are just ridiculous efforts that are a hang over from the 90s when everything had to have "attitude" and be "Xtreme" (*cough* Extreme Ghostbusters *cough* no... really, wiki it.) But I'm majorly pissed about the fact that scifi and TPTB are pushing this into the role of Enterprise/BSG replacement. That is NOT stargate territory. If I wanted to be a trekkie I'd have TNG, Voy, DS9, TOS and Ent on my shelves, NOT SG1 and SGA.

tombombadil
August 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
if it turns out to star young jack clone, cassandra, ryac, and all those other peopl, someone will get hurt:mad:

unluckynumber11
August 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
if it turns out to star young jack clone, cassandra, ryac, and all those other peopl, someone will get hurt:mad:

lol, though i wouldn't be surprised

jenks
August 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Well its entertaining;)

Not in my opinion it's not, it's absolute drivel and an insult to the 'Spooks' name. As far as Stargate goes, by younger/mainstream they just mean they're aiming for viewers more of the Lost/Heroes type age range as opposed to the Enterprise type one. I seriously doubt they'd be aiming as young as the Dr Who type age range or even Spooks: Code 9, I hope.

tombombadil
August 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Not in my opinion it's not, it's absolute drivel and an insult to the 'Spooks' name. As far as Stargate goes, by younger/mainstream they just mean they're aiming for viewers more of the Lost/Heroes type age range as opposed to the Enterprise type one. I seriously doubt they'd be aiming as young as the Dr Who type age range or even Spooks: Code 9, I hope.i'm really hoping you're right. withh any luck it won't be a complete catastro****

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
Spooks Code 9 is aimed at twenty year olds. Sounds about right for SGU to me. Problem is, the concept was good, but just ruined by the ages thing.

And Doctor Who is aimed at families, not just kids.

But I do agree that C9 is an insult to the Spooks name. I'd have rather seen a darker MI6 spin off from Spooks instead.

Pitry
August 22nd, 2008, 01:19 PM

Two things.
First, people have a right to express their opinions. Just think how dull this place would have been if everyone would go "wheeeeee! Universe!". It would also get tiresome. A part of going into a public online forum entails encountering people who disagree with you. If I don't like the way SGU sounds, then I'm sorry, I'm not gonna a)pretend I do or b)sit back without expressing my discomfort with the idea as was presented in the press release/ BW interview. It should be taken for granted as much as other people's rights to enjoy the news.

The second is about "boycotting" Universe. I'm not gonna "boycott" it, for the simple reason that I just don't like the sound of it. It;s not in protest about SGA's cancelation - in all honesty I've been unhappy with SGA for quite a while, but I gave it a chance, just like I did the SG1 movies. As far as I'm concerned, I'm done giving chances to stuff coming out with the Sargate brand name, not until there's some serious shake up with the people who are reposnsible for the product cos personally I haven't been enjoying it for a while now. The simpel fact is, I don't find the description of Universe engaging, and since the Stargate-name-period-of-grace is over, unlike SGA which I automatically watched because it was Stargate, i'm jsut gonna do the same thing I always do when I hear about a television show that doesn't sound interesting to me - I won't watch it. Nothing as dramatic as boycotting.

RepliBeau
August 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM

I actually think that the Jack clone would be a good idea... if slightly cheesy...

Jackie
August 22nd, 2008, 05:10 PM

wow, pretty harsh stuff there. So, if you don't like it then why are you here?

why bother to come to a forum you can't stand and then tell everyone were a bunch of morons and don't get a satire?

trust me...we get it...and it really wasn't that funny to begin with.

as far as the whole board being anti...on the contrary. This board is usually very pro but right now people are upset cause of the cancellation of SGA to make room for SGU.

Personally, I do plan on watching SGU out of curiosity. If I like it that great. I'll probably be one of the few pro posters here. If not, just new material to analyze and mock on the Anti thread.

Spoken by a true anti

come over to the dark side luke...it's much more fun.

See, that's the difference between us Stinky Sock Asso Anti's and the rest of you guys that are upset. (We're not ripping the show either, just having fun going wild with the younger cast premise.) We were already upset at the end of season three. We're done mourning, while your's has just begun. :o

yes, "professional antis" (that us) have already been through the mill and have learned how not to have a knee jerk reaction. :cool::)

ya all notice the Anti thread is pretty stable today.

... And Mulder was always far cooler... :p

now there's an idea for SGU. Mulder on the ship would be hilarious.

i can see it now, the crew stuck in a ship cant get home with there raging hormones.....i can only fathom what they meant by targeting a younger audience

I feel sorry for the single female that will be stranded with three horny guys on that ship. (Standard SG formula) And we already know she will be pinning for her CO.

See, SGU will be fun for Antis.

Oh I'm not boycotting it, I will watch it and give it a chance. I'm not that petty, but it doesn't stop me for being annoted with TPTB, it's not JUST the younger element, which DOES annoy me even though I'm envisioning it being early 20s, not teens, such moves are just ridiculous efforts that are a hang over from the 90s when everything had to have "attitude" and be "Xtreme" (*cough* Extreme Ghostbusters *cough* no... really, wiki it.) But I'm majorly pissed about the fact that scifi and TPTB are pushing this into the role of Enterprise/BSG replacement. That is NOT stargate territory. If I wanted to be a trekkie I'd have TNG, Voy, DS9, TOS and Ent on my shelves, NOT SG1 and SGA.

Now wait a minute...ghostbusters was funny.

OMG...I can see that happening too.

unluckynumber11
August 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
wow, pretty harsh stuff there. So, if you don't like it then why are you here?

why bother to come to a forum you can't stand and then tell everyone were a bunch of morons and don't get a satire?

trust me...we get it...and it really wasn't that funny to begin with.

as far as the whole board being anti...on the contrary. This board is usually very pro but right now people are upset cause of the cancellation of SGA to make room for SGU.

Personally, I do plan on watching SGU out of curiosity. If I like it that great. I'll probably be one of the few pro posters here. If not, just new material to analyze and mock on the Anti thread.

Spoken by a true anti

come over to the dark side luke...it's much more fun.

yes, "professional antis" (that us) have already been through the mill and have learned how not to have a knee jerk reaction. :cool::)

ya all notice the Anti thread is pretty stable today.

now there's an idea for SGU. Mulder on the ship would be hilarious.

I feel sorry for the single female that will be stranded with three horny guys on that ship. (Standard SG formula) And we already know she will be pinning for her CO.

See, SGU will be fun for Antis.

OMG...I can see that happening too.

"Maybe There's Hope....."

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM

Ah but I said "Extreme Ghostbusters" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Ghostbusters

http://epguides.com/ExtremeGhostbusters/cast.jpg

Nice post btw.

Jackie
August 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Ah but I said "Extreme Ghostbusters" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Ghostbusters

Nice post btw.

Oh dear god...there was another cartoon???

crap!

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Debuted in the late 90s, it was a failed revival. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but only because it was animated, had it have been live action and more serious where you'd see what the sort of new characters involved would actually get up to, it would have been awful. But it was a shameless attempt to reach a "new generation" with hip characters who could relate to a new audiance. They were all university students except Egon and Janine.

ShadowMaat
August 22nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
These days all the teen-oriented shows seem to be about sex and given the nature of SGU (trapped on a ship roaming the universe) I'd guess that relationships are going to be a big factor in the stories. TPTB have screwed over fans for YEARS when it comes to 'ships, so maybe this time around "romance" will be featured front and center. Or at least it'll be who's sleeping with whom and which character is still pining over so-and-so who got left behind on a planet last month and all that fun stuff. :P Oh, and pregnancy again. Although maybe it'll be the normal human kind this time around and the only issue will be whether or not it's "right" to raise a kid on a wandering starship. And the "who's the father" issue, too, of course.

Having Michael Welch (Clone Jack) be on the team might not count as a "known actor" but it'd certainly make it easier on the writing staff since all they'd have to do is keep writing more of Jack... but with hormones. ;) Or maybe he'd be the crotchety old-timer of the group and everyone else would be younger and more... energetic. LOL!

Or if you're looking for a token "older" character, bring back Felger. It can even be HIS fault that the ship is wandering the stars. He probably hit the wrong button or overlooked some important design feature or whatever. He can be the McKay of the group, minus all the arrogance. And intelligence. ;) I dunno if he'd count as a "known actor" either, but he's certainly known to Stargate and Red Green fans.

unluckynumber11
August 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
These days all the teen-oriented shows seem to be about sex and given the nature of SGU (trapped on a ship roaming the universe) I'd guess that relationships are going to be a big factor in the stories. TPTB have screwed over fans for YEARS when it comes to 'ships, so maybe this time around "romance" will be featured front and center. Or at least it'll be who's sleeping with whom and which character is still pining over so-and-so who got left behind on a planet last month and all that fun stuff. :P Oh, and pregnancy again. Although maybe it'll be the normal human kind this time around and the only issue will be whether or not it's "right" to raise a kid on a wandering starship. And the "who's the father" issue, too, of course.

Having Michael Welch (Clone Jack) be on the team might not count as a "known actor" but it'd certainly make it easier on the writing staff since all they'd have to do is keep writing more of Jack... but with hormones. ;) Or maybe he'd be the crotchety old-timer of the group and everyone else would be younger and more... energetic. LOL!

Or if you're looking for a token "older" character, bring back Felger. It can even be HIS fault that the ship is wandering the stars. He probably hit the wrong button or overlooked some important design feature or whatever. He can be the McKay of the group, minus all the arrogance. And intelligence. ;) I dunno if he'd count as a "known actor" either, but he's certainly known to Stargate and Red Green fans.

yea it might be stargate: big brother or stargate: the real world

Flyboy
August 23rd, 2008, 05:05 AM

You may as well kill me now.

Go on.

Kill me.

Please.

Vespasianus
August 23rd, 2008, 07:09 AM
now there's an idea for SGU. Mulder on the ship would be hilarious. LOL!!!

We'd have a motto for SGU too: "the truth is here somewhere... or there, on the next planet. Oh no, wait, maybe it's on this ship? Or we left it on Earth? What do you think, Scully?"

CrazyCarter
August 23rd, 2008, 09:28 AM
It means they don't care about fans they only care about making money.

tombombadil
August 23rd, 2008, 09:37 AM

Nice post btw.i liked that show when it was on, but i was a kid then.....

Flyboy
August 23rd, 2008, 09:38 AM
i liked that show when it was on, but i was a kid then.....
As did I, but I imagine a live action version would be god awful, because then it would be aimed at teens not kids, and would be all about clubbing and sex.

Betelgeuze
August 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
The show targeting a younger audience makes me somewhat pessimistic. The stargate episodes that had a darker and/or more mature storyline were the ones i always enjoyed the most. I don't think a show targeting a younger audience wil have much depth. Also the show being more about the characters and having less hard scifi in it does not endear it to me. A scifi show should be mainly about the science fiction. That said i will give the show a change, but if it turns out to be a teen drama show in space, without sufficient science fiction and maturity i will stop watching.

Jill_Ion
August 23rd, 2008, 10:03 AM

LOL, I get what you're saying, but you've taken on quite a...uh..."mature" condescending tone in speaking to everyone here. As someone who saw the SG movie when I was in my late 20s (married and moved out of parents' house and everything!), I don't need to be lectured on how to react.

I'm label-free, so don't try to lump me into Anti this or that. I knew absolutely nothing about SGU until this week. I am a little concerned about how the show will be, based upon the press releases I've read. I'll check it out, and determine if it's worth watching. Only I get to decide that and if it turns out to be a soap-operatic, vapid, and too "I'm 20 yrs old and stuck in space. I ssssuuuuuuffffeeerrrr!" then I won't watch it.

It could be slick, smart, and funny. Won't know til it airs.

mattyg1987
August 31st, 2008, 11:58 AM
I think when they say a younger audience I think they mean like very late teens/early twenties. Maybe they plan to try and follow on from the success of programs like Lost, Prison Break, Heroes, etc. which I know draw in a very large 'younger audience', including myself and I'm 21.

Buck32
August 31st, 2008, 03:45 PM

How old are you now?<mod snip....let's not get nasty folks>

jenks
August 31st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Younger audience = 20-40 ish.

the fifth man
August 31st, 2008, 07:12 PM
I really hope we get more information soon on SGU. Like some cast selections, and more plot details. That would at least answer the questions of some people. I plan on going into this as positive as I can be. I still have faith in Rob and Brad.

Miroslav
September 1st, 2008, 12:44 AM
Younger audience = 20-40 ish.

That's not younger audience. Here in Croatia, we have a big Stargate fanbase, and they are mostly 15-35 yrs old. We don't have Stargate grannies. :P

And we don't want some teen crap.

jenks
September 1st, 2008, 02:32 AM
That's not younger audience. Here in Croatia, we have a big Stargate fanbase, and they are mostly 15-35 yrs old. We don't have Stargate grannies. :P

And we don't want some teen crap.

The producers couldn't care less what fanbase you've got in Croatia, they couldn't care less want you want either, though I'm curious to know how you'd know how old all the fans are over there. The average Stargate viewer in the US is relatively old, late 40's or something, much older than the average BSG fan, which is the sort of age they're going to be aiming for. I don't know where the idea that it's going to be a teen show has come from, but it's nonsense. Everyone involved wants the show to be more mainstream and make more money, that means more 20 and 30 somethings that have the most spending power in the market, not a bunch of teenagers.

Miroslav
September 1st, 2008, 04:52 AM
I just want to point out that is illogical to say that Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis are shows for older wievers, and that Stargate fans are some old farts.

I don't know, maybe we in Europe have more "mature" younger fans than you in States/Canada.

lunarleviathan
September 1st, 2008, 04:58 AM
I had taken "younger audience" not to mean that they want a teen show - but instead to bring in more younger fans who might be put of by a series that's too closely linked with it's predecessors (like Atlantis was with SG-1) and seems like it has a barrier to entry when it comes to a whole mythology and backstory. It's better to try and make a show that could hold onto a chunk of an existing fanbase as well as be appealing to newcomers, rather than carry over pretty much the entire fanbase you already have with very little potential for growth - at least from the perspective of SciFi.

To have to have watched 15 seasons of 2 series to understand a lot of what is happening is a very tall order. Mostly you probably don't notice since you're a Stargate fan, but in Atlantis they constantly reference things that only existed and happened in SG-1. Like, oh when they defeated the replicators back in SG-1. Or bringing in Carter as part of the main cast, with basically no explination of who she even was or her backstory. They never even explained the history of Stargates and the Stargate program. If I had never seen SG-1, I doubt very much I'd have watched Atlantis for very long. Also, very few people who come into that situation are going to be willing to buy the DVDs and go back for a nice long catch up.

Anyway, "younger" doesn't mean it has to be full of teen angsty characters. In fact, I had taken the statement about a slightly darker mood and more character drama to mean the exact opposite. Obviously this is in response to what is a clear trend having been set by shows like Battlestar Galactica. Looking ahead at other genre shows in development, I would say there is a clear swing away from a grand scifi mythology and more towards realistic/darker character drama in a scifi setting.

Of course, I'm probably reading too much into things and we'll end up with Buffy in space. Full of teen angst and trivial characters... ahem.

jenks
September 1st, 2008, 05:08 AM
I just want to point out that is illogical to say that Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis are shows for older wievers, and that Stargate fans are some old farts.

No one said that Stargate is for older viewers, but for whatever reason Stargate has a relatively old fanbase, nothing to do with logic, just cold hard fact, and they want a younger one.

I don't know, maybe we in Europe have more "mature" younger fans than you in States/Canada.

I'm European, but what has maturity got to do with anything anyway? If anything aiming at a younger audience will make the show more adult, as that's what younger people want.

ciannwn
September 1st, 2008, 05:45 AM
The average Stargate viewer in the US is relatively old, late 40's or something, much older than the average BSG fan, which is the sort of age they're going to be aiming for.

BSG is very grim and dark, full of politics, intrigue, philosophy, religion, in depth ethical considerations etc. etc. and the characters have sex, get drunk, smoke cigars/cigarettes and use bad language a lot. They also go to the toilet and viewers now know that there aren't separate facilities for men and women on board the Galactica.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/08/istargate_universei_has_a_go2.shtml

In Universe, we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humour,

What sort of humour do they mean? There's very little humour in BSG so they'd better not go over the top with it otherwise it won't please those younger viewers who enjoy dark, grim and gritty stories involving things like suicide bombers and a main character taking on the job of executing his wife because she was a liability.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/08/istargate_universei_has_a_go.shtml

It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe.

while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home

Those younger BSG fans happen to like a show where three of the main characters (Commander Adama, Tigh and Roslin) aren't bright young things in their early 20's. The fleet's doctor looks near retiring age and some of the guest characters have been in the older age groups too. Even most of the younger characters look as if they're in their late 20's or early 30's.

Those younger BSG fans are unlikely to be happy with Stargate's current standards when it comes to relationships such as Keller almost getting a kiss with Ronon and then being very daring by asking Rodney to have a drink with her. They'll probably expect more than something on the lines of Sheppard humorously suggesting that he might have had a great time on a planet full of very friendly primitives living in a tropical paradise. It's likely that they'd also regard Mara's seduction scene in 'The Tower' as ending far too early.

I love Battlestar Galactica but I honestly can't see how a 'toned down' approach with humour is going to attract BSG fans who don't bother with Stargate at the moment. Then there's the Stargate fans who are quite content with the level of grimness, darkness and sex that we've had up to now. 'Breaking new ground' could turn out to be too steamy for their taste and too tame for the younger BSG fans.

Xeon_1
September 1st, 2008, 05:54 AM
BSG is very grim and dark, full of politics, intrigue, philosophy, religion, in depth ethical considerations etc. etc.

The thing that would make bsg even better if they would drop all the political crap.
They can impliment everything from bsg except that political crap.
If i want politic i will watch the news

Flyboy
September 1st, 2008, 05:57 AM
The thing that would make bsg even better if they would drop all the political crap.
Not a fan of The West Wing or Yes Minister then?

Political fiction is as important and has as much heritage as any other type of fiction, and considering that Sci-Fi since it's birth has nearly always been used to highlight political or social injustices or situations, I see no reason not to include it in SGU, particularly when we consider who operates the damn Gate.

Brain_Child
September 1st, 2008, 06:01 AM
I think some people are reading too much into this. I think that "younger audience" is quite simply a focus on the younger age group rather than a storyline that also appeals to the 40+ age range. My mom and watched stargate cause of RDA, the macgyver effect, and only stopped watching SG due to the poor time slot.

but realistically the older audience will do nothing but watch the tv episodes. they wont buy the DVDs (some avoid tech all together!), they wont buy the itunes episodes, they wont go out to conventions or do anything else of that nature.

kind of a marketing move I suppose

only concern is that the writers dont know what they are doing and turn out something that isnt for the younger audience and isnt for any audience, but that prolly wont happen

ciannwn
September 1st, 2008, 06:50 AM

The BSG fans they're hoping to attract must enjoy the political intrigue as well as the other aspects of the show otherwise they wouldn't be fans.

Political fiction is as important and has as much heritage as any other type of fiction, and considering that Sci-Fi since it's birth has nearly always been used to highlight political or social injustices or situations, I see no reason not to include it in SGU, particularly when we consider who operates the damn Gate.

It can also fit in nicely with a show that contains action adventure. The Star Trek universe had three more or less evenly matched super-powers (Federation, Klingons, Romulans) forming uneasy treaties on the lines of "You stay in your territory and we'll stay in ours." This meant we could have Romulans and Klingons as a permanent fixture because the Federation didn't blow them up before running into another race of alien baddies to blow up.

I'd have liked more political intrigue in SG1 and SGA but I honestly can't see how there could be much in the way of Earth politics where SGU is concerned.

Flyboy
September 1st, 2008, 06:55 AM
The BSG fans they're hoping to attract must enjoy the political intrigue as well as the other aspects of the show otherwise they wouldn't be fans.

It can also fit in nicely with a show that contains action adventure. The Star Trek universe had three more or less evenly matched super-powers (Federation, Klingons, Romulans) forming uneasy treaties on the lines of "You stay in your territory and we'll stay in ours." This meant we could have Romulans and Klingons as a permanent fixture because the Federation didn't blow them up before running into another race of alien baddies to blow up.

I'd have liked more political intrigue in SG1 and SGA but I honestly can't see how there could be much in the way of Earth politics where SGU is concerned.
Obviously not, but in PRINCIPLE, I wouldn't object. ;)

jenks
September 1st, 2008, 07:15 AM
BSG is very grim and dark, full of politics, intrigue, philosophy, religion, in depth ethical considerations etc. etc. and the characters have sex, get drunk, smoke cigars/cigarettes and use bad language a lot. They also go to the toilet and viewers now know that there aren't separate facilities for men and women on board the Galactica.

In Universe, we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humour,

What sort of humour do they mean? There's very little humour in BSG so they'd better not go over the top with it otherwise it won't please those younger viewers who enjoy dark, grim and gritty stories involving things like suicide bombers and a main character taking on the job of executing his wife because she was a liability.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/08/istargate_universei_has_a_go.shtml

It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe.

while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home

Those younger BSG fans happen to like a show where three of the main characters (Commander Adama, Tigh and Roslin) aren't bright young things in their early 20's. The fleet's doctor looks near retiring age and some of the guest characters have been in the older age groups too. Even most of the younger characters look as if they're in their late 20's or early 30's.

Those younger BSG fans are unlikely to be happy with Stargate's current standards when it comes to relationships such as Keller almost getting a kiss with Ronon and then being very daring by asking Rodney to have a drink with her. They'll probably expect more than something on the lines of Sheppard humorously suggesting that he might have had a great time on a planet full of very friendly primitives living in a tropical paradise. It's likely that they'd also regard Mara's seduction scene in 'The Tower' as ending far too early.

I love Battlestar Galactica but I honestly can't see how a 'toned down' approach with humour is going to attract BSG fans who don't bother with Stargate at the moment. Then there's the Stargate fans who are quite content with the level of grimness, darkness and sex that we've had up to now. 'Breaking new ground' could turn out to be too steamy for their taste and too tame for the younger BSG fans.

You're completely missing the point. I never said anything about attracting BSG fans, I said they want a fan base of a similar age to the BSG fan base, and they do.

Hypochondriac
September 1st, 2008, 07:29 AM
IF they want a fan base similar to BSG they should also try and avoid what BSG did late on. IIRC Wasn't BSG losing ratings last season? I heard rumors that it would have been canceled if they didn't decide to end it.

Slyke
September 1st, 2008, 08:11 AM
The show targeting a younger audience makes me somewhat pessimistic. The stargate episodes that had a darker and/or more mature storyline were the ones i always enjoyed the most. I don't think a show targeting a younger audience wil have much depth. Also the show being more about the characters and having less hard scifi in it does not endear it to me. A scifi show should be mainly about the science fiction. That said i will give the show a change, but if it turns out to be a teen drama show in space, without sufficient science fiction and maturity i will stop watching.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I just turned 21 and I would hate SGU if it was all clubbing and sex. I enjoy relating to the more mature side of things. BSG has too much drama (constant sex, grimness, darkness, foul language, everyone getting drunk, just things I don't like) in it for me, not enough Sci-Fi. And I defiantly hate big brother. I like the characters of stargate because they are good role models, OK so no one is perfect. Jack is funny with his sarcasm. Shapperd is just cool. Mckay is just cocky and funny, while still being smart and humble in his own way. I could go on.

I mean come on, even my gf loves stargate. She's never been exposed to the Sci-Fi universe at all.

I remember when the stargate movie came out! I was about 7ish back then, and I loved it. Have been watching stargate since it was on. I admit I didn't like Atlantis at first, but after season one it got good :hammond::jack:.

Wish they'd put a movie in the cinemas, that would get lots of people interested in the stargate universe.

ciannwn
September 1st, 2008, 08:11 AM
You're completely missing the point. I never said anything about attracting BSG fans, I said they want a fan base of a similar age to the BSG fan base, and they do.

It's difficult to know what they want.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/08/sci_fi_explains_hopes_for_istarg.shtml

Howe also wants Stargate Universe to help fill the "space opera" gap left when network jewel Battlestar Galactica goes off the air next spring. While of course Stargate will never be the dark and brooding character drama that Battlestar is, Universe might be a little more so than SG-1 or Atlantis.

"As a network, obviously we look at Battlestar Galactica, that's set the standard in terms of tense character drama. Stargate does not have the intensity of a Battlestar Galactica. But it may well be somewhere in between. Brad [Wright] and Robert [Cooper] are very eager to keep the action and adventure and the sense of humor [in Stargate Universe]. But I think there's an opportunity to maybe inject a bit more dramatic intensity into the series. But that's obviously a conversation for them as they start to script and move into development."

Does that mean they want to attract a fan base of similar age to BSG's but made up of viewers who find BSG too dark and grim and old style Stargate too tame?

Then there's this somewhat baffling statement from David Howe -

"The ambition with Universe is to skew it younger than the previous two chapters and fill it with a fresh-faced cast; and a storytelling that is more for the late 2000s than it is for the 1990s."

It was 2008 the last time I looked at a calendar. Isn't that the early 2000s? :D

jenks
September 1st, 2008, 08:15 AM
He's just talking about a more modern, serialized way of telling stories. At the minute Stargate is still pretty episodic like Star Trek used to be, rather than one long story like Heroes or Lost.

ha'tak_
September 1st, 2008, 08:27 AM
this is one of the thinks that i dont under stand younger audience dosent sg-1 and sga have young audience?

wel i am 15 and i have been watching the show for some years now and i know about many pepole that are about this age that watch the show so what age are hopeing to get ?

Flyboy
September 1st, 2008, 08:29 AM
this is one of the thinks that i dont under stand younger audience dosent sg-1 and sga have young audience?

wel i am 15 and i have been watching the show for some years now and i know about many pepole that are about this age that watch the show so what age are hopeing to get ?
The show is actually part of a new science programme of pre-natal entertainment broadcasting. It's in a similar vein to playing Mozart to an unborn child, but this is Science Fiction intentionally for the same purpose.

ciannwn
September 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM
He's just talking about a more modern, serialized way of telling stories. At the minute Stargate is still pretty episodic like Star Trek used to be, rather than one long story like Heroes or Lost.

I'd love it if we had a Stargate series with the modern, serialized way of telling stories. I just wish we knew what David Howe means by a cast which will give SGU a 'younger vibe'. Seeing as Woolsey and Caldwell are the only Atlantis human characters anywhere near the age of Commander Adama he must be suggesting that Sheppard, Ronon, Teyla, Rodney, Zelenka, Lorne, Beckett, Keller and this new girl marine whose name I can't remember offhand are 'old fashioned'. Maybe they're just too clean living for younger viewers because they don't get drunk, have much in the way of relationships let alone sexual ones and only say the occasional cuss word. :)

Flyboy
September 1st, 2008, 08:47 AM
I'd love it if we had a Stargate series with the modern, serialized way of telling stories. I just wish we knew what David Howe means by a cast which will give SGU a 'younger vibe'. Seeing as Woolsey and Caldwell are the only Atlantis human characters anywhere near the age of Commander Adama he must be suggesting that Sheppard, Ronon, Teyla, Rodney, Zelenka, Lorne, Beckett, Keller and this new girl marine whose name I can't remember offhand are 'old fashioned'. Maybe they're just too clean living for younger viewers because they don't get drunk, have much in the way of relationships let alone sexual ones and only say the occasional cuss word. :)
I really look forward to your posts. I want you to know this.

jenks
September 1st, 2008, 08:59 AM

By the sounds of things they're going to cast a known actor as lead, then cast the rest as young unknowns. Probably actors in their mid to late 20's, as opposed to late 30's and 40's. I mean I know the cast of Atlantis don't seem that old, but then Joe (41) David (40) Rachel (37) and Bob (54) aren't that young either. And yeah, it is ironic, but more adult entertainment is what younger people want. Not sure how BW will feel about that, hopefully he can tune down his prudishness for the sake of the show.

ShadowMaat
September 1st, 2008, 09:06 AM
I've learned never to trust anything the Suits or TPTB tell us. Either they're going to find some twisty way to make a statement like "the sky is blue" to mean something completely different (but still TECHNICALLY true) or it'll be true for a while until things change and then there won't be a speck of blue left in the sky no matter which way you twist the words.

Could the show be dark and angsty like BSG? Sure... if they got new writers who had the intelligence and creativity to pull it off. But I assume they're sticking with the same old writing team, which means we're going to get the same old stories repackaged and resold as being "dark" and "angsty." I've seen how well that worked on Atlantis. :rolleyes: Their examples of "dark" are one of the reasons I'm not watching the show anymore. I shudder to think what it means for SGU, particularly coupled with the whole "younger audience" motif. Sure, there are ways to make "younger" sound like a good thing, but again, this is TPTB we're talking about and they are already overly fond of juvenile humor and situations. It sounds to me as if this will give them free rein to go wild with the kind of idiocy that is another reason I no longer watch Atlantis.

How we define terms is all well and good, but what you have to worry about is how they define them. And from what I've seen in my years of watching SG-1 and Atlantis... Well, let's just say I'm not holding my breath for SGU.

jenks
September 1st, 2008, 09:24 AM
Who said anything about dark or angsty? Honestly, I think people just see the letters B-S-G and let their imaginations fill in the rest, so far all that has been said is that they want more character drama and a younger audience, using BSG as an example, yet people are jumping on this and deciding that it means they're trying to make this a Stargate version of BSG. Oh and as for needing more creativity to write a more BSG like show, don't make me laugh! All they need to do to make the show more like BSG is lose their integrity and become more opinionated, that should do the trick.

ciannwn
September 1st, 2008, 10:25 AM
I really look forward to your posts. I want you to know this.

Thank you. I enjoy having discussions with you too.

Off topic

I noticed your link to that story on Fan Fiction Net. and went off to read it. I love it and want to know what happens next so am hoping it won't be long before a new instalment appears.. It's such a refreshing change for all the action adventuring to be put in the background so the plot focusses on political intrigue.

By the sounds of things they're going to cast a known actor as lead, then cast the rest as young unknowns. Probably actors in their mid to late 20's, as opposed to late 30's and 40's. I mean I know the cast of Atlantis don't seem that old, but then Joe (41) David (40) Rachel (37) and Bob (54) aren't that young either.

Half the cast of BSG isn't all that young either and yet the show still draws the kind of age group that SGU is being aimed at. This is what confuses me. A friend of mine lurks on forums where BSG fans discuss things and it seems that one of the big hit relationships is the Commander Adama/Roslin one.

And yeah, it is ironic, but more adult entertainment is what younger people want.

I don't think it's a hard and fast rule. Going by these forums, a lot of Stargate fans in the age group they hope to attract with SGU can't stand BSG while a geriatric like me (by David Howe's standards) loves BSG, Lost and Heroes.

Not sure how BW will feel about that, hopefully he can tune down his prudishness for the sake of the show.

He'll have to if he wants to attract younger viewers who want more adult entertainment. :D

ShadowMaat
September 1st, 2008, 11:43 AM
I don't think it's a hard and fast rule. Going by these forums, a lot of Stargate fans in the age group they hope to attract with SGU can't stand BSG while a geriatric like me (by David Howe's standards) loves BSG, Lost and Heroes.
Yeah, but what the fans want/think doesn't matter. How do you think the Suits and PTB are likely to define what younger audiences want? Do you think they'll listen to what fans here and elsewhere say (and only some of them, at that) or do you think they'll go with what's always worked in the past? Will they give us what we want*, or will they give us what they think we want?

*For a given value of "we."

Franklyn Blaze
September 1st, 2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah, but what the fans want/think doesn't matter. How do you think the Suits and PTB are likely to define what younger audiences want? Do you think they'll listen to what fans here and elsewhere say (and only some of them, at that) or do you think they'll go with what's always worked in the past? Will they give us what we want*, or will they give us what they think we want?

*For a given value of "we."
The latter I am guessing. They can't give us what we want. It's seen as pandering and they can't use our ideas and other b/s. From reading here all this time I can tell tell that what the ptb think we want is hit and miss. Like resolution to the open threads in atlantis, for example. New shows like this teeter on what they think we want (raitings) and what their vision is for the show. ( ego)

Arctic Goddess
September 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Someone in the know about how things work at Bridge Studios, and who has been bang on about things for ages, told me that BW is likely throwing the concept of the younger demographic idea out there to see what sort of feedback he gets. Remember, they do read these forums. It's up to us to let them know what we want. What I don't get is most people in their twenties are not really watching television. So, why cater to that demographic. It sounds to me like a recipe for cancellation. Then they'd wonder where the audience went. I really doubt that I would watch "Stargate 90210". I'm long past twenty and "kid shows" like that do not appeal. As well, the fans that I have seen who attend conventions in support of the show are definitely not 20 somethings. They are mostly in their thirties and older.

Personally, I'd like to see a show with the hosts of Ba'al and Qetesh on the ship with some new people. Classic Goa'uld now being helpful and giving the crew assistance with all that knowledge they have, I think, would be awesome.

Infinatus
September 1st, 2008, 12:43 PM
^ Martin Gero said the writers take everything said on message boards with a grain of salt. He even went on to say that trusting fans on the internet could wreck a show.

Flyboy
September 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
^ Martin Gero said the writers take everything said on message boards with a grain of salt. He even went on to say that trusting fans on the internet could wreck a show.
And I'd agree.

For the most part anyway.

But if you trusted fans, you'd need a marvel comics style multiverse with EVERY scenario. One where Weir and Beckett, never died, one where they did, one where one did etc etc etc

ciannwn
September 1st, 2008, 01:29 PM
How do you think the Suits and PTB are likely to define what younger audiences want?

The way I see it at the moment it's going to a 'space opera' which isn't as dark as BSG, contains humour and has a lot of young people in it. I dread to think what bits of BSG they've decided is the key to drawing in the targeted age group. I've got a sneaking suspicion that they think BSG fans are really watching the show for the space battles, sex scenes and Model No 6 and are just putting up with all the boring politics,philosophy and religion. Why do the fans want model No 6? Well, she's blonde and wears clinging, low cut dresses. Character? How many BSG fans really care if a hot blonde in a clinging, low cut dress is a character who's well developed in more than just the chest area?

Or am I being cynical here? :D

ShadowMaat
September 1st, 2008, 02:04 PM
So maybe the sarcastic suggestions on the casting thread about hiring a porn star aren't far wrong. ;) That'd be about in keeping with the lower standards I've come to expect from Stargate.

Arctic Goddess
September 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
So maybe the sarcastic suggestions on the casting thread about hiring a porn star aren't far wrong. ;) That'd be about in keeping with the lower standards I've come to expect from Stargate.

Well, Star Trek Voyager did it with Seven of Nine, and so did Enterprise with T'pol. So it's not like it hasn't happened before. That said, I would hope that Stargate still knows who the loyal fan base has been over the years. And it hasn't been a bunch of horny, pimply, adolescent males.

ShadowMaat
September 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM
Well, Star Trek Voyager did it with Seven of Nine, and so did Enterprise with T'pol. So it's not like it hasn't happened before. That said, I would hope that Stargate still knows who the loyal fan base has been over the years. And it hasn't been a bunch of horny, pimply, adolescent males.

The problem is that the loyal fan base is loyal and TPTB know it. They can get away with anything and loyal fans will still tune in. Oh sure, some might leave in a snit over some "unimportant" thing like a character getting written off, but they know that the majority of their oh so loyal fanbase will keep watching no matter what.

Flyboy
September 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM
Really? Porn actresses?

Shipperahoy
September 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM

I can see it now. Jenna Jameson starring as Everybody Getsaride aka Token Hotchick.

Artifysial
September 1st, 2008, 05:29 PM
Personally, I'd like to see a show with the hosts of Ba'al and Qetesh on the ship with some new people. Classic Goa'uld now being helpful and giving the crew assistance with all that knowledge they have, I think, would be awesome. [/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

I'd pay good money to see that - hilarious

I am quite put out by their younger crowd thing, I recall a younger cast in SG1 when they took the trainees under their wing cant recall name I think season 6/7 when tok'ra base destroyed and Hammond came in gate with Teal'c - yee ha moment - ooh I'm not good with remembering things ...it's my age ! I'm the same age as most of the main cast there -let's leave it at that. I wasn't sure they wrote those eps very well for those young recruits actually. Hopefully they will do better job on universe. Most of my friends my age are not big SG fans but they will watch it on Sky happily and like itwith their family, they tune in and enjoy it. I am surpised at the younger demographic argument but there you go. If it's not a rating thing with SGA I cant work out why that cant run SGA and universe simultaneously with separate writers.

ShadowMaat
September 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
I can see it now. Jenna Jameson starring as Everybody Getsaride aka Token Hotchick.

It can be a terrifying tantalizing blend of Lexx and Tripping the Rift with a dash of softcore porn thrown in for good measure (just in case folks didn't get the hint from the first two sources). Stargate: Destiny Does the Universe. Coming soon to a XXX store near you. ;)

PG15
September 1st, 2008, 10:01 PM
I am quite put out by their younger crowd thing, I recall a younger cast in SG1 when they took the trainees under their wing cant recall name I think season 6/7 when tok'ra base destroyed and Hammond came in gate with Teal'c - yee ha moment - ooh I'm not good with remembering things ...it's my age ! I'm the same age as most of the main cast there -let's leave it at that. I wasn't sure they wrote those eps very well for those young recruits actually. Hopefully they will do better job on universe. Most of my friends my age are not big SG fans but they will watch it on Sky happily and like itwith their family, they tune in and enjoy it. I am surpised at the younger demographic argument but there you go. If it's not a rating thing with SGA I cant work out why that cant run SGA and universe simultaneously with separate writers.

I think you just mentioned 5 episodes at once. :p

You may have been thinking about Season 5's "Proving Ground". That one involved a bunch of young cadets/officers. The Tok'ra base was destroyed some time later in Last Stand, and the Hammond YeeHAW moment was in Into the Fire, Season 3.

SGAtlantisP60
September 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
i'm 15 too i love sg 1and stargate Atlantis... i sure hope that this new show will be good i heard they start it off with a movie just like Sg 1 started off..... i can't wait to chec it out on the scfi channel in 2009..... Hopfully they won't can that show or atlantis ...

jenks
September 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
5. Do you think Universe truly will be more of a relationship-oriented space opera aimed at younger viewers, or has that been overstated in press releases?

Individuals on both sides of the issue have made a huge deal about the push for younger viewers. The fact is Atlantis was originally envisioned along these same lines and, in my opinion, it retained the quality of the original series. I expect SGU to follow in the footsteps of its wildly successful predecessors.

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=1604

ciannwn
September 10th, 2008, 10:10 AM
http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=1604

That bit about SGA being originally envisioned for 'younger viewers' doesn't really make sense seeing as we're being told that the SGU cast will have a younger vibe and the new show will be aimed at younger viewers. Does it mean that the SGU cast will have the same vibe as the SGA cast which is supposed to have a younger vibe than the SG1 cast? Are SGA and SGU supposed to be for the same age range of viewers which is younger than SG1?

Linda06
September 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM
That bit about SGA being originally envisioned for 'younger viewers' doesn't really make sense seeing as we're being told that the SGU cast will have a younger vibe and the new show will be aimed at younger viewers. Does it mean that the SGU cast will have the same vibe as the SGA cast which is supposed to have a younger vibe than the SG1 cast? Are SGA and SGU supposed to be for the same age range of viewers which is younger than SG1?

:ronananime25: ai ai ai...I feel a headache coming on!

JDeus01
September 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM
what the hell?, the shows are fine as they are, universe doesn't need to be different, i'm 20 and i have been seen stargate for 5 years now and that is because i didn't know stargate before atlantis.

thetitan101
September 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Remeber Lt Ford :ford: he was put into Atlantis for the 'younger audiences' and he failed as a character. Imagine a whole show of Lt Fords would that mean the whole show would fail. Hmm maybe so.

ShadowMaat
September 11th, 2008, 06:38 PM
what the hell?, the shows are fine as they are, universe doesn't need to be different, i'm 20 and i have been seen stargate for 5 years now and that is because i didn't know stargate before atlantis.

*squints at JDeus* 20?? You're getting up there, my friend. Might be getting a tad too old and set in your ways. Step aside and make room for the next generation. [/sarcasm] :P

JDeus01
September 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
*squints at JDeus* 20?? You're getting up there, my friend. Might be getting a tad too old and set in your ways. Step aside and make room for the next generation. [/sarcasm] :P

:beckett03:

Vespasianus
September 14th, 2008, 12:52 AM
That bit about SGA being originally envisioned for 'younger viewers' doesn't really make sense seeing as we're being told that the SGU cast will have a younger vibe and the new show will be aimed at younger viewers. Does it mean that the SGU cast will have the same vibe as the SGA cast which is supposed to have a younger vibe than the SG1 cast? Are SGA and SGU supposed to be for the same age range of viewers which is younger than SG1?I don't think so. Atlantis had a younger vibe than SG-1 (it really had) and Universe will have a younger vibe than Atlantis has right now (which is not hard). At least that's what JM meant I think.