PDA

View Full Version : My Feelings about SGU's Casting

Wolf O'Donnell
August 21st, 2008, 11:37 PM
From the GateWorld news article

Proving that you can't keep a good franchise down -- at least not for more than a day or so -- the SCI FI Channel has green-lit production on Stargate Universe, the third live-action television series, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The official press release from MGM and SCI FI is expected later today.

Universe will have a 2-hour premiere in 2009, and land in a regular time slot next summer -- meaning there will not be a production gap between the second and third Stargate television series.

The trade magazine also reported that the show will be set on board a previously unmanned ship called the Destiny, and will involve more space-based action than its predecessors. "Unable to return to Earth, the crew must fend for themselves aboard the ship, which has a preprogrammed mission taking them to the far reaches of the universe," the magazine said.

The producers are reportedly looking to cast a known actor for one of the leading roles, and fresh faces to round out the cast. This would follow the pattern of SG-1, which earned a lot of marketability from leading man Richard Dean Anderson when it premiered in 1997, rather than the largely unknown cast of Atlantis.

The new series will also be aimed at a slightly younger audience, SCI FI president Dave Howe said.

"This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation," he said. "We really don't want to be more of the same. It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe."

"In Universe, we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home," series co-creators Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper said. "Above all, we believe the Stargate itself remains an enduring icon with infinite potential as a jumping-off point for telling stories."

Wright and Cooper will also executive produce. The two created Stargate Atlantis, which will end its TV run in January (story). An Atlantis movie will also air later in 2009 on SCI FI -- hopefully the first of many.

Okay, So although I am not happy at all about the loss of SGA I am coming to understand the fact that there is not much we can do in terms of getting SGA back on the air and on the bright side we will still get movies. So that leaves Stargate: Universe. As i was reading the article i found myself hating the idea of Universe less and less UNTIL i read something that struck my heart
The new series will also be aimed at a slightly younger audience now i am not sure how young they plan to go and im not even sure what age SG1 and atlantis were geared for but when i think that they are going to make it for a younger audience i just imagine a live action version of Infinity and im sure more people do not want that.
So how does everyone else feel about the
younger audiences line and how will it effect your interest of Stargate if at all?

metabog
August 21st, 2008, 11:40 PM
Well read my post in the Stargate Universe Speculation thread... and then wait for the horrible bashing in this thread.

The TARDIS
August 21st, 2008, 11:40 PM
TEEN GATE HAS ARRIVED!

The writers were just joking, but it looks like Skiffy and MGM actually liked the idea.

IT WAS A JOKE!

Gah! 15 episodes and the movies. 15 episodes and the movies. With real characters. And real stories...

Stef
August 21st, 2008, 11:46 PM
That highlighted line reminds me of the teen!SG-1 skit from the 200th episode:

"One of the new 'junior executives' at the network has suggested we recast the whole movie with 'younger, edgier versions' of the team. Can you imagine that?"

Granted, that was my favorite skit of the episode....so who knows, maybe I'll love the new series.

Gah! 15 episodes and the movies. 15 episodes and the movies. With real characters. And real stories...
...and with real people with real feelings? ;)

-Stef

Tal-Galahad
August 21st, 2008, 11:57 PM
It`s not a secret that Stargate has problems getting enough attention by younger audiences (meaning 14-49) compared to Shows like BSG.

I think it will mean a little more drama what isn not paticular bad in my eyes.
It worked pretty ok with BSG

g.o.d
August 21st, 2008, 11:58 PM
there goes my hope for darker show...:rolleyes:

Harkonnen
August 22nd, 2008, 12:07 AM

Yeah, I was kind of hoping for a darker more violent Stargate.

NKDietrich
August 22nd, 2008, 12:12 AM

Sawgate? No thanks. Why would anyone want to take all the fun and humor out of Stargate. That is the CORE of the show. It wouldn't even be Stargate anymore.

Laura Dove
August 22nd, 2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the article.

mostly young and desperate explorers

Am I the only one who thinks "Keller" here? :S

PG15
August 22nd, 2008, 12:16 AM
Oh, I don't know; "fend for themselves" and "desperate" all seems like the perfect condition for something dark, at least for Stargate.

I for one don't want BSG "dark", if that's what you want.

Harkonnen
August 22nd, 2008, 12:17 AM
Sawgate? No thanks. Why would anyone want to take all the fun and humor out of Stargate. That is the CORE of the show. It wouldn't even be Stargate anymore.

A darker show can still have humor....

Khentkawes
August 22nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
That line concerned me as well. It was sounding great until that point. They're going to target a younger audience? I thought that's what they were trying to do with Atlantis? How much younger can they get? My other fear is that the desire to attract younger audiences will lead them to dumb down stargate, when what I really want to see is for them to give us episodes that make us think. They need to treat their audience like the intelligent group of people that they are.

But my favorite quote was when he said the new series would involve

breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home

Huh? Was that supposed to sound so melodramatic? And it sounds like a space soap to me (oh wait, they're probably taking their strategies from BSG. Which doesn't inspire confidence from me).

But other than the whole "younger audience" thing, I was pretty optimistic about the info we've been given. I'm still trying to be open minded about this and hopefully SGU will turn into something I actually look forward to watching.

ykickamoocow
August 22nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
It`s not a secret that Stargate has problems getting enough attention by younger audiences (meaning 14-49) compared to Shows like BSG.

So if we are using BSG as a model of what younger audience wants then clearly SGU should just be like SG1 and SGA except for 1 thing.

Lots and lots more sex.

NKDietrich
August 22nd, 2008, 12:22 AM
A darker show can still have humor....

Yeah but the popular opinion among people who want everything "dark" is to make a bunch of BSG-versions of every show on television.

BSG isn't exactly a humorous show.

Madwelshboy
August 22nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Welcome to Stargate: The OC

Khentkawes
August 22nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
So if we are using BSG as a model of what younger audience wants then clearly SGU should just be like SG1 and SGA except for 1 thing.

Lots and lots more sex.

So like I said. A Space Soap.

And if that's where it's heading, then I'll bail after the first episode or two.

ykickamoocow
August 22nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
So like I said. A Space Soap.

And if that's where it's heading, then I'll bail after the first episode or two.

I have no problem with sex on tv but BSG got abit stupid as by the end of the 3rd season Starbuck had had sex with practically every male character in between the ages of 20 to 40.

Everybody having sex with everybody is not good writing.

Franklyn Blaze
August 22nd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Translation: They'll have a decon chamber where people rub gel all over their bodies. And skintight female clothing with giant fake (.)(.)

Vespasianus
August 22nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
Apart from the CoTG nude scene, SG-1 was pretty teenage-friendly in the beginning IMO. I should know, I was myself entering my teen years when it started all those years ago... Look at all the episodes they had back then: the Nox, Torment of Tantalus, Tin Man, etc. Not very dark, but they were excellent.

I don't image Universe being any different, but of course, only time will tell.

And the "Teen Gate" thing: it is unrealistic even for Stargate, it won't happen. The cast will probably in their 20s, like Sam and Daniel.

Womble
August 22nd, 2008, 12:58 AM
The new series will also be aimed at a slightly younger audience, SCI FI president Dave Howe said.

"This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation," he said. "
Was that a very long and awkward euphemism for "we're going to dumb it down"?

Agent_Dark
August 22nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
animated.

Wolf O'Donnell
August 22nd, 2008, 01:10 AM

Lots and lots more sex.

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

but i digress, I just hope the show is well done no matter if it is a bunch of 14 year olds with zat guns.

Khentkawes
August 22nd, 2008, 01:16 AM

I don't think Brad Wright even knew what he meant by that phrase. There are so many different ways it could be interpreted. The whole "relevant to a new generation" line is rather overused IMO.

I assume that everyone wants their creative work to be new and relevant. Does anyone set out when writing a new project and say "I want this show to seem boringly outdated and irrelevant!"

Nope. Didn't think so.

david2708
August 22nd, 2008, 01:16 AM
Stargate Universe's gonna get their own version of the lana & Clark love hour that we got on Smallville adnauseum.

Chricton
August 22nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
I for one am a little annoyed by this. As you get older it's sort of backwards to keep watching a franchise if the stories get more and more "friendly".

The only way I'll end up watching this is if its lead is Shanks or Browder.

I'm simply too spoiled by darker, plot heavy shows like BSG, The Wire or Dexter. And sex has nothing to do with it. Generally poeple have sex. I fail to see how that makes a show dark/soapy. Atlantis is actually the last light-hearted show I watch, if you exlude outright comedies like Psych. I love BSG and SGA alike, but I simply can't imagine BSG, friendly, with aliens-of-the-week.

Farscape was the best of both worlds. Incredibly dark half the time, especially the 3rd season, and then almost to the point of ratings suicide the other half.

Khentkawes
August 22nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

but i digress, I just hope the show is well done no matter if it is a bunch of 14 year olds with zat guns.

I don't see how 14 year olds with zat guns could be well done. Medium rare maybe...

But still, I doubt it will come to that.

xandder
August 22nd, 2008, 01:49 AM
just because the new show is said to be aimed at a younger audience and have a younger cast doesn't mean its gonna be like a bunch of 15 year olds, mid to late 30s would be considered young compared to the age of the remaining cast of either show who are all mainly in their mid 40s bar a few exceptions.

i am a little miffed about sga being cancelled but i wasn't into that as much as sg1 simple because there wasn't any mythology in sga at all really, i really hope they fix this is sgu, because thats the one reason i loved sg1, it seemed to add a touch of 'realism' to the show and had it kinda grounded in some way, sga seemed to 'float' around, though that doesn't mean i didn't like it, because i did

either way sgu seems like it has real potential, as long as they hire some new writers, male and female, more of the latter really, cos thats what sga lacked, female writers

Atlantis15
August 22nd, 2008, 01:49 AM
Personally I am going to give SGU a chance because I wasn't willing to give Atlantis a chance until about a year ago and I missed out on sooo much because of it.

Zelda fan
August 22nd, 2008, 02:36 AM

same here :ronon:

tayradio
August 22nd, 2008, 02:38 AM
So how does everyone else feel about the line and how will it effect your interest of Stargate if at all?

Blah.

I'm not really interested in shows "for younger audiences". The article makes it sound like the show is going to be a cross between Dawson's Creek and Star Trek:Voyager.

stargatefan234
August 22nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
TEEN GATE HAS ARRIVED!

The writers were just joking, but it looks like Skiffy and MGM actually liked the idea.

IT WAS A JOKE!

That highlighted line reminds me of the teen!SG-1 skit from the 200th episode:

"One of the new 'junior executives' at the network has suggested we recast the whole movie with 'younger, edgier versions' of the team. Can you imagine that?"

-Stef

OMG. I hope by "younger audience" it doesn't mean aiming the show solely at 15-25s, i'm in that age group and even i find stuff made for that age group terrible.

But i'm keeping an open mind (and hoping it won't be a startrekgate type thing cause that would be suicide considering even star trek, cant pull of star trek anymore *cough* Enterprise *cough*, it could kill the franchise dead.)

rlr149
August 22nd, 2008, 02:44 AM
animated.

yup, may as well give it too disney channel or cartoon network:mckay:

Showfan
August 22nd, 2008, 02:46 AM
just because the new show is said to be aimed at a younger audience and have a younger cast doesn't mean its gonna be like a bunch of 15 year olds, mid to late 30s would be considered young compared to the age of the remaining cast of either show who are all mainly in their mid 40s bar a few exceptions.

i am a little miffed about sga being cancelled but i wasn't into that as much as sg1 simple because there wasn't any mythology in sga at all really, i really hope they fix this is sgu, because thats the one reason i loved sg1, it seemed to add a touch of 'realism' to the show and had it kinda grounded in some way, sga seemed to 'float' around, though that doesn't mean i didn't like it, because i did

either way sgu seems like it has real potential, as long as they hire some new writers, male and female, more of the latter really, cos thats what sga lacked, female writers

I'm sorry...what????

If you don't count RDA and Bob Piccardo and I don't know CJ, then Amanda Tapping is 42, Flan 41 and Hewlett 40. Jason is in his late twenties, Rachel and Shanks in their mid thirties and Jewel in her mid-twenties. Nope. Not a mid forties actor amongst them.

Wow, I never thought my favorite show would be cancelled because of age discrimination. That's just...wow.

It's more than obvious that my viewing Stargate Universe isn't necessary, that at 37 I'm just a wee bit too old for the audience they want to attract. And frankly I'm more than just a little bit insulted. Fans who have been with the franchise since the beginning are suddenly not necessary?

Count me out of this one.

doylefan22
August 22nd, 2008, 02:50 AM
I think it'd be good to see a greener bunch of people out there (assuming their being stuck out there is an accident). SG-1 and SGA both revolve around people who are established professionals and experts in their fields. I wouldn't want the same sort of thing yet again otherwise what's the point? Having a cast in their 20's would certainly be different.

And a younger show doesn't have to be dumb - the brilliant Supernatural proves that.

I can totally see why TPTB would want to try and attract a new audience - after all, the franchise has to keep fresh and attract new people if it wants to keep going.

TheDave545
August 22nd, 2008, 02:51 AM
Blah.

I'm not really interested in shows "for younger audiences". The article makes it sound like the show is going to be a cross between Dawson's Creek and Star Trek:Voyager.

THANK YOU!!!

Someone else noticed its just a Voyager rip off.
A younger audience aswell, wtf is going through there heads.

We had SG1 Season 1 - 8, which were amazing then we had Farscape SG1 Seaons 9 - 10.

We have Atlantis now which is amazing aswell, and they go and screw that up by making UTTER CRAP DTV movies which no one wants, we want more seasons.

Now to top it off they wanna give us Stargate: Voyager with emphasis on attracting younger viewers.

Im gonna buy Season 5 of Atlantis on DVD when its released and then thats it, i wash my hands of Stargate after that.

ykickamoocow
August 22nd, 2008, 02:52 AM
First i want to say to the mods please dont merge this topic with another Universe thread as i think this topic deserves its own thread.

We are almost certain that Stargate Universe will be made but does anyone want to see a character or 2 from elsewhere in the Stargate universe (no pun intended) in SGU?

I personally would love to see Rodney Mckay and/or Daniel Jackson in Stargate Universe as main characters (or atleast recuring characters). Both characters could certainly fit (McKay as the character with Ancient technological experiances and Jackson with all his historical knowledge of the Ancients). Both characetrs are well liked and both would play a useful role in SGU. It would also make liking SGU easier at first when you know and love two of the main characters.

Would anyone else like to see a character or 2 from either SG1 or SGA on Stargate Universe and if so what characters and why?

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 02:59 AM
As a poster before said, I'm 20 years old, supposed to be part of this young demographic, and frankly shows that are "hip and edgy" make me sick. There's a new tv show in Britain called "Spooks: Code 9" which is a spin of from MI5 Spy drama "Spooks". Spooks is a very sophisticated show, and very real. Code 9, the spin off, is set in 2013 after a nuclear bomb was detonated by terrorists in London and Britain is thrown into chaos, witht he security services restructuring and civil liberties reduced. Great premise for a show. Problem? The tagline is - "For Queen, For Country, For Kicks". All the cast of the MI5 field office are early 20s. They share a flat like a bunch of students and enjoy going out clubbing and playing drinking games. Other than that, the show is enjoyable, but I personally would have preffered it had they just chosen believable older actors and gone away from the "students saving Britain" angle that makes me very sick. Young and edgy, unless meaning "for kids" will mean early 20 year olds having it off with each other every episode, partying before and after saving the day, think Buffy... difference is, that worked, as the whole high school thing was integral to the show.

Are you expecting any of us to believe that the SGC or the IOA choose a bunch of early 20 year olds to be the forefront of an expedition to the edges of the universe? Or are all the "old" people just going to be killed off.

And my God, I was hoping they'd ditch the damn ship after the first episode.

EDIT: Why do writers think the only thing "young" people can relate to is angst, relationships and other young people? I've never EVER cared for shows like Dawson's Creek or the OC, I would have been something like... 10 when SG1 came out and I've always loved it, there was no need for t to be "relevant" to my demographic. With their description, you KNOW it'll be about a bunch of 20 year olds hating each other, then becoming best buds and loving each other until a love triangle develops. Bah. Give me an experienced and hardened military officer as the lead of my show any day!

doylefan22
August 22nd, 2008, 03:14 AM
...and they go and screw that up by making UTTER CRAP DTV movies which no one wants...

Well obviously they are wanted or the SG-1 movies wouldn't have sold so well. In fact this is probably part of the reason why they aren't going ahead with a season 6 - why should they when the profit on the DVDs is actually so much better and they can then concentrate on the new, cheaper show alone? They were never keen on the idea of making two shows simultaneously again and the success of the SG-1 DVDs has given them a way to avoid that and not have to completely end SGA.

TheDave545
August 22nd, 2008, 03:24 AM
Well obviously they are wanted or the SG-1 movies wouldn't have sold so well. In fact this is probably part of the reason why they aren't going ahead with a season 6 - why should they when the profit on the DVDs is actually so much better and they can then concentrate on the new, cheaper show alone? They were never keen on the idea of making two shows simultaneously again and the success of the SG-1 DVDs has given them a way to avoid that and not have to completely end SGA.

Lets be reasonable here, AoT only sold well because it finished the Ori storyline and people wanted to see it, it was still crap though.

Continuum has done well because they claimed it to be an original film when really it was just Season 8's Finale Moebius, in different wrapping thats all, and we didnt know, not to mention the trailer was top for it, and even then we didnt realise they had put all the best bits from the film into the trailer.

Not to mention it was the first SG1 production to make it to blu ray, which helped it a lot.

But i get ya point about it being cheaper to make the DTV movies and more profitable, ive always understood that, especially when i heard about the cancellation.

We could have had another season, and some great episodes, instead we get a 2 hour film that will no doubt be a rehash of an old episode.

sarge mat
August 22nd, 2008, 03:24 AM
Looks like they might as well call this teen gate then?

kufan76
August 22nd, 2008, 03:25 AM
Who would you like to see or should we see in the SGU crew?

I think, first there should be at least a character or two, who had small roles, who could come to the front, much as McCay did, from his guest appearances on SG-1 to be a regular on SGA. Perhaps, Major Lorne, LT. Cadman, both IMO gave strong performances, but really had background roles.

Otherwise, I think it might be cool to have a Tok'ra on board, possibly a Tolin as well? How about someone from the free Jaffa? Maybe Larrin from the SGA show? All these people could be invaluable on such a show, and could provide great tension/story lines.

I just don't believe it'll work having everyone on the crew be from earth.

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 03:30 AM
Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooks_Code_9

Especially the critical reception bit, and tell me that this isn't exactly what SGU is gonna be.

Vespasianus
August 22nd, 2008, 03:31 AM
Me, I wouldn't like to see McKay in Universe, mainly because that way he wouldn't be in the Atlantis movie.:P

I really like Jonas though, but of course his chances are slim to be in the new series. Still, my vote is on Jonas Quinn, esp. since he is at a good age to appeal to "younger viewers".

Boo
August 22nd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Definitely Major Lorne

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 03:35 AM
I think you need to go for background characters, main characters will just make it another of their own show. If McKay stars, it'll just be SGA on a ship, if Jackson stars, it'll just be SG1 on a ship.

I'd say the best candidates would be (had they not been "too old" to be relevant to a younger, edgier audiance):

Colonel Dixon
Colonel Reynolds
Major Davis (PLEASE promote him)
Major Lorne

We'll probably get Lt Hailey however.

sueKay
August 22nd, 2008, 03:37 AM
There would have to be character crossovers for me to tune in.

Personally I'd like any/all of the following:
Jack O'Neill
Teal'c
Jonas Quinn
Rodney McKay
Richard Woolsey
Vala Mal Doran
Cameron Mitchell
Carson Beckett
Radek Zelenka

sarge mat
August 22nd, 2008, 03:39 AM
Thats what its going to be like. Spooks was a good show back in the day.

CazzBlade
August 22nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
I thought they said there wasn't to be any crossovers at all.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
hmmm Do they mean younger as in;
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/Stargate-infinity.jpg
or
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season10/1006-200/screencaps/normal_sg1_1006_0742.JPG

I'm 17 and I started watching it when I was 14. I know I'm a minority but some of my other friends have gotten into with some encouragment

As a poster before said, I'm 20 years old, supposed to be part of this young demographic, and frankly shows that are "hip and edgy" make me sick. There's a new tv show in Britain called "Spooks: Code 9" which is a spin of from MI5 Spy drama "Spooks". Spooks is a very sophisticated show, and very real. Code 9, the spin off, is set in 2013 after a nuclear bomb was detonated by terrorists in London and Britain is thrown into chaos, witht he security services restructuring and civil liberties reduced. Great premise for a show. Problem? The tagline is - "For Queen, For Country, For Kicks". All the cast of the MI5 field office are early 20s. They share a flat like a bunch of students and enjoy going out clubbing and playing drinking games. Other than that, the show is enjoyable, but I personally would have preffered it had they just chosen believable older actors and gone away from the "students saving Britain" angle that makes me very sick. Young and edgy, unless meaning "for kids" will mean early 20 year olds having it off with each other every episode, partying before and after saving the day, think Buffy... difference is, that worked, as the whole high school thing was integral to the show.

Are you expecting any of us to believe that the SGC or the IOA choose a bunch of early 20 year olds to be the forefront of an expedition to the edges of the universe? Or are all the "old" people just going to be killed off.

And my God, I was hoping they'd ditch the damn ship after the first episode.

EDIT: Why do writers think the only thing "young" people can relate to is angst, relationships and other young people? I've never EVER cared for shows like Dawson's Creek or the OC, I would have been something like... 10 when SG1 came out and I've always loved it, there was no need for t to be "relevant" to my demographic. With their description, you KNOW it'll be about a bunch of 20 year olds hating each other, then becoming best buds and loving each other until a love triangle develops. Bah. Give me an experienced and hardened military officer as the lead of my show any day!

QFT There isn't really anymore I can add to it, except I was 6 when SG1 came out

The_Carpenter
I think you need to go for background characters, main characters will just make it another of their own show. If McKay stars, it'll just be SGA on a ship, if Jackson stars, it'll just be SG1 on a ship.

I'd say the best candidates would be (had they not been "too old" to be relevant to a younger, edgier audiance):

Colonel Dixon
Colonel Reynolds
Major Davis (PLEASE promote him)
Major Lorne

We'll probably get Lt Hailey however.
lol forgot about her,

I reckon Radek would be a good choice.... or actually if they get stuck unexpectedly on the ship I reckon Jeannie Miller also work ;)

VSS
August 22nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the article.
Am I the only one who thinks "Keller" here? :S

No. That's why she was added, and why she was completely untenable as a character.

Anyone ever see Sunshine? Yeah, I totally believed the world's fate would be left in the hands of PhDs and astronauts that were barely old enough to drink.

That line concerned me as well. It was sounding great until that point. They're going to target a younger audience? I thought that's what they were trying to do with Atlantis? How much younger can they get? My other fear is that the desire to attract younger audiences will lead them to dumb down stargate, when what I really want to see is for them to give us episodes that make us think. They need to treat their audience like the intelligent group of people that they are.

But my favorite quote was when he said the new series wold involve

Huh? Was that supposed to sound so melodramatic? And it sounds like a space soap to me (oh wait, they're probably taking their strategies from BSG. Which doesn't inspire confidence from me).

But other than the whole "younger audience" thing, I was pretty optimistic about the info we've been given. I'm still trying to be open minded about this and hopefully SGU will turn into something I actually look forward to watching.

I think we are talking space soap. As re: the bolded part- forget about it. When he said more "mainstream" writing, I rolled my eyes. Skiffy's idea of mainstream is about as far from episodes that make us think as you can get.

That's the point of really great science fiction, after all. CGI and aliens are fun, but that's not what drives the genre.

Well, forget it. I'm too old and too smart for this crap.

ykickamoocow
August 22nd, 2008, 03:42 AM

That would just come down to good writing. If they write it well mckay and Jackson wont be the focus of the show.

I just believe that with mckay and jackson SGU will have a greater chance of success as both characters are generally well liked by fans (which means more people will be willing to give the show a chance) and both characters could logically be on SGU as both have skills which would be required.

Putting Ronon, Teyla or Teal'c as main characters would make little to no sense as none of those characters have the required skills and it would be doubtful that they would be sent on a mission like this. McKay and jackson however would fit in the show like a hand fits in a glove.

Lythisrose
August 22nd, 2008, 03:44 AM
Guess Brad Wright will get "Young People F*****g in Space." Just couldnt' be outdone by Marty G.

Madwelshboy
August 22nd, 2008, 03:46 AM
I want Major Lorne!!!

Madwelshboy
August 22nd, 2008, 03:47 AM
definitely major lorne

indeed

VSS
August 22nd, 2008, 03:47 AM
Guess Brad Wright will get "Young People F*****g in Space." Just couldnt' be outdone by Marty G.

Gero's got a way with words, doesn't he?
But it sounds as if Skiffy pushed them in this direction, which doesn't surprise me one iota.

ykickamoocow
August 22nd, 2008, 03:50 AM

Brad Wright is the one that is scared of nudity so i doubt that. If martin Gero was in charge though it would be a different matter.

doylefan22
August 22nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
I don't believe for a moment that they mean teenagers when they say a younger cast. Probably more like mid-twenties rookies. Especially bearing in mind the two current Atlantis main characters are both in their 40's. I do think it's a good idea to go with a different type, age and experience of people than we've seen on the other two shows.

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 03:53 AM
I don't believe for a moment that they mean teenagers when they say a younger cast. Probably more like mid-twenties rookies. Especially bearing in mind the two current Atlantis main characters are both in their 40's. I do think it's a good idea to go with a different type, age and experience of people than we've seen on the other two shows.
In a universe where people want REALISM and complain about a young CMO?

I doubt it.

You wouldn't get "rookies" on that sort of mission.

suqata
August 22nd, 2008, 03:56 AM
Jonas "Freakin" Quinn

doylefan22
August 22nd, 2008, 03:57 AM

I doubt it.

Depends what the scenario and set up is. This is on a ship, there's going to be a large crew, some will be rookies...I can't imagine it'll be too hard to write some terrible accident/disaster/ambush that leaves many of the experienced members dead. And, as I said, that will be a very different premise from the previous two shows which, for me, can only be a good thing.

prion
August 22nd, 2008, 03:58 AM
If the actor's over 30, you probably arent' going to see them. They want a "younger vibe." Blech.

Jeff O'Connor
August 22nd, 2008, 03:59 AM
Jeff O'Connor's current feelings toward Stargate Universe:

Cautiously optimistic.

GusF
August 22nd, 2008, 03:59 AM
Daniel Jackson or Jonas Quinn.

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 04:00 AM
Let's see. I'm a theoretical General in charge of assembling a new team for a big mission... do I.. go for a full military contingient with the highest rank being Colonel, extending down to Major only... or do I allow some Leiutenants in? Umm... No. No, no chance of that.

amarhys
August 22nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
NOBODY.
SGU stinks.

GusF
August 22nd, 2008, 04:03 AM
For me, the lead would ideally be a known character and other characters from SG-1 and Atlantis would put in an occasional appearance or at least appear in the pilot.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
August 22nd, 2008, 04:03 AM
Let's see. I'm a theoretical General in charge of assembling a new team for a big mission... do I.. go for a full military contingient with the highest rank being Colonel, extending down to Major only... or do I allow some Leiutenants in? Umm... No. No, no chance of that.

Do you criticize SG1 and Atlantis for having Lieutenants? Ford was a lieutenant , and they've let lieutenants on SG teams (Elliot). Heck, even Carter hadn't reached the rank of Major when she joined SG1.

Lythisrose
August 22nd, 2008, 04:04 AM

Love her or hate her, the Keller character seems to embody what Wright feels is needed in the Stargate franchise.
It just always didn't go over well with everyone who enjoyed the more "seasoned" characters in Atlantis.
So he can now go with an entire cast of young, brilliant and lusty 20 somethings. He should call it SGU- StarGate University. Or less charitably, StarGate Underage...

The_Carpenter
August 22nd, 2008, 04:05 AM
For me, the lead would ideally be a known character and other characters from SG-1 and Atlantis would put in an occasional appearance or at least appear in the pilot.
members of the SGA or SG1 cast should defiantly be in the pilot to give a send off much like Jack and Daniel were in Rising :)

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 04:05 AM
I think the key thing is that in SG1 they can usually easily come back through the gate....

Atlantis and Ford? I got nothing. But he seemed to be one of only maybe a handful. I can't imagine a LOT of Lt's out there.

VSS
August 22nd, 2008, 04:08 AM

I doubt it.

Precisely.
Science fiction already requires an enormous suspension of disbelief, and it needs to be grounded in reality where it can be. I can hardly wait to see what kind of explanation they come up with for why there's a bunch of twentysomethings stuck out in space.

But then again, I'm one of those types that actually likes science in my science fiction, and that's getting more rare by the minute.

Jeff O'Connor
August 22nd, 2008, 04:40 AM
I could definitely see them bringing David Hewlett into the mix, so long as they're alright with having to seek out decent enough reasons for him to be popping up for every subsequent SGA telefilm past the first one. (Which, knowing their track record with Sam, I wouldn't put past them.)

I could also see them wanting Daniel onboard, but Michael Shanks is a pretty busy man these days. Even still, it isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility. It would depend greatly on the true status of his and Christopher Judge's proposed television series. If it isn't going so well (which might explain his recurring role on Burn Notice and a few telefilms scattered across various networks of late, but this might have nothing to do with it anyway -- a man's got to pay rent whether he's working on something or not) then it'd be far more likely he'd be game. But if it is going smoothly, he'd be way too busy to do more than the occasional cameo, and even that would be drastically less likely since he'll be hotly wanted for all the SG-1 movies.

Teal'c? Well, aside from his being busy alongside Michael Shanks since last we checked, I don't think it would make any sense whatsoever, of course. His character has a very busy life with the Free Jaffa Nation, so showing up for permanent status on a ship charting the universe seems a little time-consuming, unless it was inadvertent. Which could be interesting, I suppose... but no doubt there are far better choices.

Sam? Well, clearly she's all but out -- she left SGA because of Sanctuary, and just devoting the necessary time to future SG-1 movies will be potentially arduous depending on how successful her new series is.

Jack? Yeah, moving on. Getting RDA for 'special appearance by' is rough enough, and hopefully Brad's doing well with convincing him to take the apparent leading role for the next SG-1 film, but... yeah. The guy's not a regular anymore; that's been a growing news flash for like six years, now.

Jonas? That is a wonderful idea, but for lots of reasons, I don't think the producers would be too into it. Lots of reasons I'm sure most of us are quite familiar with, but since I'm in the middle of this post already, I might as well state the obvious. For one thing, if they're fishing for a known pull, many of the dedicated fans at GateWorld might well tune in for his return to the franchise, but looking at the average, non-fandom-related viewer, I wouldn't be surprised if half of them wouldn't even recognize him. It's been so long since his last appearance, and no doubt many of the viewers these past few seasons aren't even the same people as they used to be. People move on and other people either take their place or a series/franchise is done for. On top of 'not enough potential recognition', it doesn't seem the writers are overly interested in him anymore, and dedicating a portion of SGU's pilot to bringing him back into the fold could only seem tacked-on, IMO.

John? Cameron? No, I think both of them are entirely too integral as the leaders of their respective teams for the future of both series in the telefilm/DTV format to move onto a new show. In the case of Joe Flanigan, he's been the action hero since SGA's inception, and with Ben Browder, he was brought in to take over the mantle from RDA. (Funny thing that not everyone knows is that Ben was originally going to be Sheppard, but it didn't work out, but anyway, that's irrelevant right now.) They're the ones that we expect to see, that the average viewer and many fandom-related fans alike expect and look forward to seeing, or at least, expect to see, helming the teams for the new medium. And besides, replacing either of them during a DTV would seem... horrendous, IMO. On top of all that, this sort of role is no doubt going to be taken by the 'known lead', and bringing a big character who leads a team into a new series would disallow that.

Vala? Teyla? These two ladies seem right at home with their respective series, and besides, I don't really think either of them have the selling power (no offense -- I love Vala and like Teyla, myself) to be a major enough figurehead if a crossover was a permanent edition. Nor do I think they'd fill the right feel for a gap in such a regard.

Ronon? No, his place is with Atlantis. Either way, having him settle in with a bunch of new characters for a new series seems entirely inappropriate. He's at home enough with John, with Teyla, even Rodney. He's at home enough. He's at home.

Jennifer? While I could see them doing it -- the producers love the character, and many people adore Jewel Staite -- I think the producers have to realize that a lot of fandom doesn't appreciate her very much at all. Not the actress, the character. And while they might feign delusion against that for SGA, and while they might continually believe 'she's about to shine right around the corner, you'll see' they know how so many feel. And while this seems contradictory, and is, with things I've said about how the average fan is, with all relative respect, I don't see how the average fan could feel she has enough driving force to become a permanent crossover, either way. She hasn't been around long enough, she hasn't been terribly prominent; the list goes on.

Carson? That'd be kind of sweet, as would Aiden, but in either case, I don't see it happening. Nor Elizabeth. Notice I clumped all three together. Intentionally. Paul McGillion loves the franchise, and the producers seem to act as though they never felt differently toward his presence with it, but in the past they have. McGillion's word choice in recent interviews seems to indicate fairly well that without the fans' outcry, he may well never have returned. Something tells me that means porting him over to SGU would be out of the question, even with enough recognition on the creators' part as to bring him back. Still, never know, I suppose. As with Ford, they axed him as a regular a long time ago, and while a recent comment which might well have meant absolutely nothing, anyway, on Joe Mallozzi's part tends to indicate that the door has been reopened for his return to the franchise, I really doubt it'd be a return in a whole separate venue. No, I think there may have been a bit of talk for a Season Six or, depending on how long the creators have been cool with SGA ending in its weekly format, a telefilm. That's it. And Weir? This paragraph is long enough as-is; you do the math. Look to the past.

Hank and Richard? I think they're about as self-explanatory as John and Cameron. Landry's been the commander of the SGC for a while, now -- only two seasons and two telefilms, but in terms of the timeline, when SGA completes its fifth season it will have been four years. He is the military leader of Stargate Command. He's not going anywhere. After Jack getting the desk for one season, he's the new mainstay icon following George Hammond. Ditto with Woolsey. Had MGM, Sci-Fi and the franchise's creators all conspired together to see SGA go on for another three seasons and SGU shelved instead of SGA adapting to DTV and SGU getting the greenlight, I really feel that Richard would have become the same deal. After a season with Sam (note the trend, here? I know it wasn't intentional, but it's kind of comical) we have the new mainstay icon. I feel that they'll want Robert Picardo keeping his civilian commander position for the rest of SGA's duration in whatever medium it takes itself to. Landry is Hammond's ultimate replacement; Woolsey, Weir's.

Now, minor characters. I think it really depends on a lot of things, but in summary (since this post is already so damn long and I don't want to stop the last two people who are still actively reading it from continuing by making it even longer) I am, more often than not, somewhat against it, unless we're talking about bringing recurring roles to continued recurring. I realize that in the case of McKay, the idea of bringing him from a seldom-seen to a very major player was, far and away, a great plan. It has worked in every regard, and while of course there are thousands of Anti-Rodney fans the world over, there are also millions who like the character. But I don't really feel there's much of anyone in the world of recurring right now that could pull it off quite so well, because so few have that kind of force with their roles that defines them enough that there's much basis.

I know people are going to want to kill me for that. It's just that whenever David Hewlett came to SG-1, he was unique. He was refreshing (nauseating, but refreshing -- that's the idea) and while lots of people thought he couldn't become a permanent, he did it and he did it well. Same with Woolsey, as I think many are coming to believe. (Many more, not so much. But hey, it's Stargate. What do you expect?)

There are exceptions. Enough of fandom likes people for being recurring and being generally good guys, as the creators have repeatedly said they recognize. For that alone, it's certainly not a terrible idea, and I think particularly SGA has some potential for porting over. It'd also seem fitting -- the sister series to the originator repeats the originator in porting someone over. (It would also give the 'SGA rips off SG-1!' naysayers something new to bring to court, which is arguably a bad thing, but hey, it's Stargate, what do you expect, etc.)

Lorne. So many have claimed there's plenty of room for development with him, and while I wouldn't say there's as much as some have said, I'd say there's some. (I like that sentence, so shut up; I'm keeping it.) Radek. Now this one I could agree with. Give Radek the position of leading scientist which Rodney has possessed for five seasons and will continue to do so, more than likely, with the continuations. A lot of people might love that, sure, but unfortunately, the guy might be 'up there' compared to the 'overall younger cast' it sounds like they're going for. Which, you know, pisses me off, personally, but I'm not making the series, so I guess I can't say much if I still plan on checking it out.

There are a plethora of other things going through my mind right now and I feel before this post gets any bigger, I should address them in separate threads. Thanks to those who read or skim this; I hope I added something to the table.

GusF
August 22nd, 2008, 04:42 AM
members of the SGA or SG1 cast should defiantly be in the pilot to give a send off much like Jack and Daniel were in Rising :)

Yeah, I'm hoping that Jack and/or Daniel will appear again to pass the torch. And Walter. Walter has to appear!

Zagabeenie
August 22nd, 2008, 04:43 AM
LORNE! Definitely Lorne.

And/or
Jonas Quinn
Zelenka
Sgt. Bates

GusF
August 22nd, 2008, 04:49 AM
As long as this "younger vibe" doesn't turn out like the "Teen Gate" sequence from 200, I'll be happy. Personally, I'm hoping that it means 20 to 30 years old. The premise sounds really cool.

xandder
August 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
id like to see major marks aswell, or maybe lorne, but not as the star, more of supporting roles but made series regular, both of them have earned it in my opinion. i wouldn't want any of the 'stars' from either series as then it would just seem like a cheap knock off

Severen
August 22nd, 2008, 05:00 AM
Personally I'd like to see Radek Zelenka and Carson Beckett carried over onto the new show, because let's face it, neither are, any longer, crucial to Atlantis or future movies, but both certainly deserve some time in the sun.

GusF
August 22nd, 2008, 05:01 AM
I think he's probably too young to be a regular but it would be cool if they brought Michael Welch as Young Jack (from Fragile Balance) back in a recurring role.

rielgenius1688
August 22nd, 2008, 05:02 AM
Here's what I'm thinking. If there are gate teams, and there probably will be, I want the premier team to be Walter, Siler, Zalenka and Lorne.

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 05:03 AM
As long as this "younger vibe" doesn't turn out like the "Teen Gate" sequence from 200, I'll be happy. Personally, I'm hoping that it means 20 to 30 years old. The premise sounds really cool.
Why?

Why do younger actors all of a sudden make the show "cool"?

ykickamoocow
August 22nd, 2008, 05:05 AM
Here's what I'm thinking. If there are gate teams, and there probably will be, I want the premier team to be Walter, Siler, Zalenka and Lorne.

I want Daniel Jackson as the leader of the whole expedition and McKay on the main team (assuming the team has 4 people).

GusF
August 22nd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Why?

Why do younger actors all of a sudden make the show "cool"?

I was actually referring to the ship being on a pre-programmed mission, the characters being cut off from Earth and it being more space-based than SG-1 and Atlantis rather than the younger cast premise.

The_Carpenter
August 22nd, 2008, 05:09 AM
Walter will never leave the SGC... especially now

he has his own parking space ;)

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 05:10 AM
Ah. I disagree with you, but thank you for clarifying :).

Me personally, as I said in another thread, I was hoping we'd go back to basics. The ship would get destroyed and we'd seen a squad of maybe ten personnel mostly military with a few scientists stuck on a random planet at the edge of the universe, with only their supplies. Basic surplus tent, military equipment etc, having to explore the edge of the universe to find a way home. Keep it real, no fleets, no jumpers, no drones, just soldiers with guns and military issue kit fighting for survival in a dark and dangerous universe hoping that they'll find something they can use to get home. Either they could set up camp in one place, or move around, but either way, they'd have less tech then SG1 S1.

That was my dream anyway...

NIMBUS
August 22nd, 2008, 05:11 AM
I just don't believe it'll work having everyone on the crew be from earth.
dont worry they will probably pick someone up in the 1st ep ... LOL

Frozen Serpent
August 22nd, 2008, 05:12 AM
As much as I love Stargate, I feel the producers went overboard over the last couple of years in bringing in stars from former shows. Just a quick count:

1. Ben Browder (Farscape)
2. Claudia Black (Farscape)
3. Jewel Staite (Firefly)
4. Morena Baccarin (Firefly)
5. Mitch Pileggi (The X-Files)
6. Connor Trinneer (Star Trek: Enterprise)
7. Robert Picardo (Star Trek: Voyager)
Anyone I forgot?! ;)

I love to see these familiar faces, but I think in Stargate it got to the point where a major suspension of disbelief was required. These actors were clearly being cast just as stunts to draw in more viewers. What was more sensible was to get established genre stars in for an episode or two, i.e Marina Sirtis (Star Trek: TNG), Armin Shimmerman (Star Trek: DS9) or Kari Wuhrer (Sliders); you could acknowledge the actor without accepting them as a new regular.

It would have been nice to see Stargate finding new talent and fostering that, not relying on these established names.

I wonder who will turn up in Universe? The producers are yet to pillage Babylon 5, Buffy or Angel!

Serebii
August 22nd, 2008, 05:12 AM
They have to have Daniel in the pilot, discovering the means to get to the ship. It wont be Stargate without Daniel making the discovery

GusF
August 22nd, 2008, 05:14 AM
Yeah, re-reading my post, it was fairly unclear.

Ooh, that idea would be a bit too dark for my tastes. I wouldn't like that at all, I have to admit.

iolanda
August 22nd, 2008, 05:15 AM
Nathan Filion

GusF
August 22nd, 2008, 05:15 AM
It wont be Stargate without Daniel making the discovery

I totally agree. If Daniel isn't around in the pilot, it won't seem right.

NKDietrich
August 22nd, 2008, 05:16 AM
There will always be overlap. Certain actors have a more extensive sci-fi repertoire and will be at the top of the list when it comes to casting parts. You act as if doing anything but casting unknowns is a bad idea. Casting an actor you know is skilled and comfortable with science fiction is great for the show, if you can afford it.

I don't see any downside to it. I'm not sure what this "suspension of disbelief" thing is you're talking about. That generally refers to just accepting that something unlikely or impossible has happened, for the sake of the story. Not sure how that applies to casting, can you clarify?

Serebii
August 22nd, 2008, 05:17 AM
To make it Atlantis leading in to it, we can just have him making the discovery while on Atlantis, go back to the SGC and then the team gets sent

xandder
August 22nd, 2008, 05:19 AM
If you don't count RDA and Bob Piccardo and I don't know CJ, then Amanda Tapping is 42, Flan 41 and Hewlett 40. Jason is in his late twenties, Rachel and Shanks in their mid thirties and Jewel in her mid-twenties. Nope. Not a mid forties actor amongst them.

those that you stated may not be mid 40s but apart from jewel most of them are early to late 30s and chris judge is 43. and what i was trying to get across was that altho they maybe not be 'old' we have been watching them for the last 11+ years, so they can be called 'old' in a way, just like when buffy first started you would actually believe she was 16, because it was a new show and they were all fresh faced, but by the end you thought they were actually older than 23/24 because you have been watching them every week for 7 years, the same applies for sg1 and sga, they seem older than what they are portraying, if you get what i mean

rens14
August 22nd, 2008, 05:20 AM
Walter

NKDietrich
August 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
walter

+1

KindlyKeller
August 22nd, 2008, 05:26 AM
I think the key thing is that in SG1 they can usually easily come back through the gate....

Atlantis and Ford? I got nothing. But he seemed to be one of only maybe a handful. I can't imagine a LOT of Lt's out there.

There was Cadman too. I feel like I have seen a lot of Lieutenants out there, and I don't think it's a stretch for them to be on a team. They're not leading them or anything.

But that's just my non-military-background-person thought on the subject.

kufan76
August 22nd, 2008, 05:29 AM
Jolene Blaylock from star trek enterprise, played that jaffa lady. Can't remember her name. I understand what you are saying, but the main reason RDA was in SG-1 is because of his name recognition, he pulled it off brilliantly I thought. I think that if the story has good characters, then pick actors to fit the characters, they'll be ok. Picking some people from other scifi shows only works when the character is good, for example Claudia Black worked so well with her character, and her interections with michael shanks, it really worked well, I thought, On the other hand, Jewel Staite, didn't work at all, they wanted a name and tried to build a character around it, and it didn't work. She isn't a believable Doctor. So it just depends. If they put the character first, or the actor/actress.

Crazy Tom
August 22nd, 2008, 05:31 AM
...................were domed.:mckay:

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 05:42 AM
There was Cadman too. I feel like I have seen a lot of Lieutenants out there, and I don't think it's a stretch for them to be on a team. They're not leading them or anything.

But that's just my non-military-background-person thought on the subject.
Well it's all hypothetical, I mean... the closest we've ever seen to a realistic SG team was actually in "Star Gate" the film, because thre squad that went through had two officers and the rest were NCOs or Airmen. The majority of SG personnell would actually be NCOs if real life combat units are anything to go by. And that does not make them inexperienced, Corporals and Sergeants will have a LOT of experience, more than junior officers.

I can understand seeing a handful of Leiutenants in the show, they might be 2IC of a small squad, but for something like the Gateverse I'd expect the 2IC to be a captain but that's a personal thing.

I guess it would just seem contrived to have something happen to all the experienced officers, leaving only the Lt's. You can guarantee there'll be someone forced into a leadership role who doesn't want it... Who wants to bet the Lts are left on ship whilst the rest explore a planet and the ship "jumps"?

Jackie
August 22nd, 2008, 05:43 AM
younger audience = more bombs, butts, and boobs.

realism = more special effects.

sounds fairly clich'e

kufan76
August 22nd, 2008, 05:58 AM
It wouldn't hurt for SGU to be a bit darker: when it's appropriate. I mean if they have a two or three part arc and it involves some really ugly nasty things, it should be dark. It shouldn't be, Dark for 99.9% of the the ep, then they are all joking at the end. It doesn't fit, which is why I liked ghost in the machine last week, it was a serious ep, and it did have some humor in it, like the flying monkeys but it ended as it should, serious. So it depends. IF they do it right, the sex could be good, as long as it helps the story or the characters in some way, cause I agree, they basically turned starbuck into a slot machine, and it served no purpose whatsoever. I think SGU it'll go for more drama, more character, more realism, and with that it will naturally become darker...to a point.

Pitry
August 22nd, 2008, 06:34 AM

Sounds like that to me.
I"m in the 20-something agegroup and think this is a horrible idea.

And in all honesty, if Stargate has lost its identity so thoroughly they have to copy other science fiction television shows, I'd rather they copied Doctor Who rather than the "cool and young and egdy" BSG type.

doylefan22
August 22nd, 2008, 06:46 AM
Considering Supernatural is aimed at a younger age group and it manages to not be a soap opera or be about boobs, butts and bombs then there's nothing to say SGU can't go the same way. I'd rather wait and see than declare it a disaster before even watching it.

Though, I suppose remembering the reaction to Picardo's involvement (which has turned out unsurprisingly brilliant imo so far), I'm not entirely surprised at what I'm seeing.

As for people crossing over from existing shows, I would only like to see a minor character or two move across; someone who is familiar but has room for development. Lorne and Zelenka make most sense in that aspect because they could easily (as the number twos behind Sheppard and McKay) be seen as worth for promotion into this new SGC project.

Jeff O'Connor
August 22nd, 2008, 06:49 AM
Mentioning Supernatural has done a lot for me. I have only one chief complaint about that series, but outside from the one negativity, I love it. If SGU is like that in terms of the whole 'slightly younger audience' gig, I wouldn't mind.

kymeric
August 22nd, 2008, 06:53 AM
Sounds like the best of both of the shows. The aloneness of the first season of atlantis and the big name leader and hig adventure of sg1.

Id remind the world that this forum is less than .001% of the viewer base.

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
*shudders* Hated Supernatural. I don't care for "young people" despite the fact that I am one. I respect people who have got somewhere in life and have a job, one which is worthwhile, hence I dislike Reaper. I'd rather watch FBI Agents battle demons and ghosts than two "eye candy" young brothers. It's why I disliked Buffy by the time S5 rolled around, I could deal with them being at high school, they had a Watcher, but by S5 and onwards it just became a rabble of unimpressive people saving the world without any official guidance. The Watchers ruled.

doylefan22
August 22nd, 2008, 07:13 AM
Mentioning Supernatural has done a lot for me. I have only one chief complaint about that series, but outside from the one negativity, I love it. If SGU is like that in terms of the whole 'slightly younger audience' gig, I wouldn't mind.

That's what I mean. People are assuming young = dumb and I wouldn't say that is at all true, Supernatural being a good example of an intelligent show with a great mixture of comedy and drama.

up-on-spindles
August 22nd, 2008, 07:15 AM
You kind of have to think about what shows are getting the media attention, the gossip, and the audience now. Sci-fi likely told them what elements from these popular shows should be part of SGU. This could be good, or it could be bad depending on what they feel they need to attract the audience they desire and subsequently, the advertising niche that comes with it.

I'm thinking Supernatural, Torchwood, BSG, Heroes, Who- elements of these shows which make them popular will be what they will want to use.

Though it does sound like it's going to be space soap-adventure type thing, where there'll be a lot of action, a little darker, and relationship issues like love-triangles and love-angst will be a little more prominent. (Heterosexual angst, of course- they might try to copy parts of Jack Harkness, but the channel's not exactly gay-friendly).

ETA: I kind of thought the print advertising for Sanctuary looked a heck of a lot like the print ads for Torchwood, and we know Sci-fi told them to adjust it from the original webisodes. I think they're trying to draw off of what's popular in more mainstream sci-fi.

rarocks24
August 22nd, 2008, 07:19 AM

Lots and lots more sex.

And sadly, it would probably work for a few seasons, like four or five. I imagine Gateworld will be forced to scale a little bit as well, as I just can't WAIT to see what the Characters/Relationships thread is going to look like.

tombombadil
August 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
i'll be fine as long as it's not infinity all over again......and people should still die.....if nobody dies, i don't watch.

tombombadil
August 22nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
wait....OMG the plot line for SGU will be
WORMHOLE X-TREME!!!!!:P

VSS
August 22nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
About the casting-
I was under the impression that this was a ship full of Ancients. :confused: So I'm not really expecting to see any of the cast from SGA or SG-1. The cognitive dissonance would be too great.

KindlyKeller
August 22nd, 2008, 07:30 AM
About the casting-
I was under the impression that this was a ship full of Ancients. :confused: So I'm not really expecting to see any of the cast from SGA or SG-1. The cognitive dissonance would be too great.

The ship's built by the Ancients, but there's no actual Ancients. It will be an SG team, I assume.

Naonak
August 22nd, 2008, 07:31 AM
About the casting-
The Ancients built the ship and sent it off, but it was unmanned, and for whatever reason they never got a chance to send people to it.

I have to agree that people are overreacting with regards to the "younger cast" stuff. It's really not about to turn into that sketch from 200.

VSS
August 22nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Okay, thank you. Now it makes sense.

ykickamoocow
August 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
Again, McKay needs to be a main character in this show.

VSS
August 22nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
I don't think they'll use any of the talent from SG-1 or SGA. This show is really going to be different from either of those two- and completely disconnected, plus, whomever goes out on the ship will be there always. No coming back for a movie! :) Except maybe in an altered timeline, or something.

The other thing is that BW said a "known actor", and then the parallel was drawn with RDA and SG-1. Well, if they want to draw new fans, which seems to be the goal here, then they need a name not affiliated with Stargate and possibly not even scifi. Another good example of that is Edward James Olmos on BSG.

The rest of the cast will probably be relative unknowns, just to keep the costs down.

ciannwn
August 22nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
I'm wondering what this pre-programmed flight across the universe is going to mean in terms of who the main characters meet along the way. I've got pessimistic visions of an endless succession of 'baddies of the week' who are just there to be cannon fodder. We never learn anything about the baddies' history or culture and never get a proper recurring villain.

Maybe the baddies will be played by ex-Wraith in different makeup each week. This could be fun for members of the Wraith Defenders Club but I can't really see ex-Wraith spotting being all that entertaining for anyone else. :)

Being aimed for younger people doesn't automatically mean downright dreadful, of course. After all, look at how popular the Harry Potter novels are with adults. If the series is of Harry Potter quality I won't mind.

Oka
August 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
BSG was aimed at a younger audience than Stargate's? I don't believe that one bit.

When the executives talk of targeting a young audience I do not think they're going to make Stargate more like BSG. I'm thinking more like Heroes.

amconway
August 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Nathan Filion
Say, that just might work. If you can't get Michael Shanks, then Nathan Fillion, would be a swell choice. I'd hoped for an actor with that kind of draw with other characters who hadn't been given a chance to really develop (such as Lorne) but the youthful vibe thing blows that out of the water.

ciannwn
August 22nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
When the executives talk of targeting a young audience I do not think they're going to make Stargate more like BSG. I'm thinking more like Heroes.

I would hardly call Heroes a show for a young audience. It had more sex and gory bits than SGA.

Reiko
August 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
» Dear god, I hope they don't transfer Keller over to this show. Because I can smell this happening with the mention of 'younger demographic'.

Royal_Nonesuch
August 22nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
I'm very hopeful that SGU will be a good addition to the franchise. These guys know what they;re doing. I am disturbed, however, by the "younger" audience bit. As others have mentioned, my teen-gate alert went off lol. I hope the "known" actor they cast is not dangerously below 30.

Then again, it might simpluy mean they want to amp up the relationship atcivity. Something that Stargate has never done was the whole "soap" thing. I thought it was admirably restrained of the wirters to avoid that. I'm not saying it won't work with SG, but it could be a difficult sell for long time audience mems.

I'm very curious.

Royal

VSS
August 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
I would hardly call Heroes a show for a young audience. It had more sex and gory bits than SGA.

Aren't those two of the biggest selling points for a younger demographic? Seriously, we're talking kids raised on Halo, Quake and One Tree Hill.

It's us oldies that are shocked by that stuff, not the young 'uns.

Naonak
August 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
Being aimed for younger people doesn't automatically mean downright dreadful, of course. After all, look at how popular the Harry Potter novels are with adults. If the series is of Harry Potter quality I won't mind.
I would... I can't stand Harry Potter... :p

KindlyKeller
August 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
"Heroes" is garbage (in my humble, singular opinion). If that's where they're drawing their inspiration, no thanks.

KindlyKeller
August 22nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
» Dear god, I hope they don't transfer Keller over to this show. Because I can smell this happening with the mention of 'younger demographic'.

Younger demographic doesn't automatically mean transplanting a young actor/actress from an existing show, especially considering they're planning ongoing movies for SGA (which she will be in, naturally, since she's a main cast member :)).

ciannwn
August 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Then again, it might simpluy mean they want to amp up the relationship atcivity. Something that Stargate has never done was the whole "soap" thing. I thought it was admirably restrained of the wirters to avoid that. I'm not saying it won't work with SG, but it could be a difficult sell for long time audience mems.

It depends on how they do relationships. I get very tired of the 'no leading character can ever have a romance that lasts more than a week' type of thing.

PS

I would... I can't stand Harry Potter...

By Harry Potter quality I meant complex story arcs and detailed characterisations which include bad guys as well as the hero characters.

CStads
August 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
I'm hoping that an entirely new cast will be brought in for this show. It doesn't make sense for any characters from SGA or SG-1 to cross over as regulars or guest stars. The thing to remember is that even though the tv shows are gone, all the characters are still out there performing their duties.

McKay? Why would he leave his post as head scientist on Atlantis for a trip to a ship that seeds stargates that the Ancients never went to? If asked, he'd probably laugh, feign an injury or crisis and tell them to take Zelenka.

Jackson? Besides from Shanks having a lot on his plate at the moment, I'm guessing that TPTB would rather bring him in for 1-2 SG-1 movies every (other) year.

Lorne? I admit it would be great to see him get promoted and lead the premier team, but he's 2IC of Atlantis' military operations. He has immense value in that role and I don't think they can afford to lose him.

The only character I would even consider enjoy seeing is a ripe Jack O'Neill clone. He'd be 21-22 by the time the pilot airs and could provide a link between the supposed new demographic target and original SG-1 fans. They can even explain his quick rise in rank due to all the memories he has from the original O'Neill.

As for options on the well known lead... Lots of tough choices here. If the lead is the key in bringing in a younger demographic someone like Ryan Reynolds may work (though I doubt they could get him since he seems to be happy doing movies now). If they're looking for someone who just draws an audience no matter the demographic, there are many other options. IMO, they should go after a well known TV actor who has failed to cross over to movie stardom. All depends on the budget.

rainbow unicorn
August 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
<image snipped, check out our rules on the posting of manipulated photos>

my pick for the "known actor" lead

Amalthea
August 22nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
I have never understood what they mean when they're looking for a younger audience. I started watching SG1 when I was 14, for cryin' out loud!

I want to know what they think this "younger" audience wants! Explosions? Sex? Violence? Comedy? Reality TV? Mindlessness? Young actors? I don't get it. What do young people want?

Oh, wait, I'm a young person! Well bless my soul! I want something smart and witty and exciting! Something clever that doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator. I want to be treated like I am not a stupid kid when I watch TV, and that I have the ability to think about things and appreciate quality.

There has been a gradual dumbing down of society and that has been reflected on TV. I, for one will be heartbroken if Stargate falls into that pit.

Wolf O'Donnell
August 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
For the record the mods changed the name of the topic. I want to make it clear that i do not care who the producers cast as long as they are great actors.
My thoughts were about the "younger vibe" that universe seems to be learning to.

Briangate78
August 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM

"Ghost in the Machine" was dark. SGA had a darker feel to it than SG-1. So now they are going in the other direction? :confused:

whiskeygirl406
August 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Well, so much for something I posted when I first joined GW, about SGA being great because it had storylines that appreciated the (slightly ...) 30+ crowd ... Can somebody reach me my cane so I can hobble over & check out this younger, hipper cast? That is, if I can hear it w/out my hearing aid & see it w/out my bifocals ... "Whassat, Sonny? Nah, my Chevron ain't locked, I drive a Ford. Dang, kids today and their jokes ... "

I really hope there's going to be more to it than finding out who "like-likes" whom between missions. I'll give it a shot, but will probably lose patience if it ends up being a teeny-bopper show (ex: OC, The Hills, My Super Sweet 16 Space-Station, etc) <sigh>

Pitry
August 22nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
"Ghost in the Machine" was dark. SGA had a darker feel to it than SG-1. So now they are going in the other direction? :confused:

Out of genuine interest, what elements did you find "dark" in GitM? I dind't find it dark at all.

...and on a differnet note, as exactly the target audience scifi/MGM seem to be rageting with this "younger" bits (well, with the slight snag of not being American) I both don't think this is a good decision and am getting slightly pissed off with netowrks deciding what I like to watch based on my age. Well, guess what. I really enjoyed the movie but when I realised I would have to watch SG1 was when I heard Richard Dean Anderson was going to take part in it.

Detox
August 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Don't these idiots realize, that Stargate isn't attracting much in the 18-24 numbers, because the network itself isn't attracting that demo. SciFi's a cable channel, that you have to pay to get. Most 18-24 year olds would rather just torrent or stream it online. That's why no matter what they do, they're not gonna get the demo they want for Universe. Even if everyone in that demo DOES like Universe, they're still not going to watch it on SciFi, cause they don't want to subscribe to the channel to watch just one show.

brandnew
August 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Younger audience ?????

SGA wasn't already for younger audience ? What would it be to younger it even more, they are already afraid afraid to kiss each other on the cheeks. Now they won't even touch theirs hands or what ?

Maybe the mean like the 200th episode of SG1 with Teal'c and his cellphone... I don't know.

striker7770
August 22nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
hello eveybody, the big talk is the upcoming sgu and how the cast is going to be for a younger audience, but the thing is, when ever i try to think about it, the skit from 200 pops up into my head. do you think it will come to that. i know not as extreme, but there is humor in wisdom as t RDA and mckay, also we might have the people keep pressing random buttons thinking they know the place, and blow up the ship. young, but not Naive.

Flyboy
August 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=58036

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=58051

Read, digest, enjoy.

Alteran of Atlantis
August 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
There are plenty of younger people that like Stargate! I'm fourteen, and I know that there are several other people on this site that are as well! So does that mean they're going to dumb it down just because there are some people uner 18 watching? I actually get a lot of the stuff Carter and McKay talk about. Not all of it, though.

And I really, really hate reality shows and soap opras...

amconway
August 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Initially, I was disappointed that none of my favorite characters (especially from SG-1) would be in this series. It made sense to me that Daniel Jackson would lead the expedition. Now I am very glad he's not. I like Daniel too much to wish him stuck in another universe with a bunch of newbs and no way home. Ever. That would be awful! Yeah! A new cast that I don't care about!!
Woo Hoo!

Shan Bruce Lee
August 22nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Keep in mind that it's all speculation at this point. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a lot different than what most of you seem to think it'll be.

aboleyn24
August 22nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Keep in mind that it's all speculation at this point. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a lot different than what most of you seem to think it'll be.

It always is.:cool:

I honestly don't think we will get any characters from SG-1 or SGA. I agree that they need all of the main ones for the movies and none of the minor ones seem to stand out enough to bother with. While I do love Lorne and Zelenka I can't see any good reason to bring either over. Zelenka is clearly out of the age range they are targeting and the only plausible way to bring Lorne would be to put him in charge of the gate team and he is not the "name" actor they are looking for.

While I would love to see Nathan Fillion I believe that is a long shot.

I think budget considerations will directly effect how name the "name" actor is. Another reason I don't think they would bring over any of the main cast members is because they don't want to also have to pay the "main" salary they would deserve.

cynatnite
August 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hannah Montana in Space! Mix in some Dawson Creek drama! Tween sci-fi!

Perfect for my kid, but not me.

Inferno D
August 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
How about Jonas brothers? The ratings would go through the roof.

GusF
August 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
I have to say that it annoys me when producers and studio executives start going on about appealing to a younger audiences. I mean, I started watching SG-1 in April 1998 - one month before my eleventh birthday! And I started watching Star Trek in 1995 when I was about 8 What I loved and still love about both of them is that they respect their audience's intelligence and don't just pander to the lowest common denominator in a shameless attempt to grab ratings. As long as Universe continues in the spirit of SG-1 and Atlantis in this regard, I don't have a problem with the idea of a younger cast, once they're not too young and, you know, can act and aren't hired simply for their looks.

One thing that has me a bit worried though is the fact that it's apparently going to be more character-based and less based around sci-fi mythology, for want of a better word. When I read that, I had this awful image of the characters spending more time hopping between one another's beds than exploring and fightin' bad guys prone to making melodramatic statements! That's obviously more in keeping with One Tree Hill than Stargate. Hopefully, that's just my overactive imagination strutting its stuff and not a prophetic vision. Seriously though, I'm very interested in the direction they are going to take with that. As long as it's not that one. :jack:

PrimatesForever
August 22nd, 2008, 05:15 PM
If the Jonas Brothers show up ANYWHERE within a 20 light year radius of SGU i quit life. I'll be like the emo kid from South Park. "I quit....I quit I quit I quit...I quit!"

But Slipknot.....Now THAT would be entertaining. :cool:

GusF
August 23rd, 2008, 01:16 PM
If the Jonas Brothers show up ANYWHERE within a 20 light year radius of SGU i quit life. I'll be like the emo kid from South Park. "I quit....I quit I quit I quit...I quit!"

Oh God, the thought of it sickens. The only Jonas I'd like to see in Universe has the surname Quinn.

Mike3121
August 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
One thing that has me a bit worried though is the fact that it's apparently going to be more character-based and less based around sci-fi mythology, for want of a better word. When I read that, I had this awful image of the characters spending more time hopping between one another's beds than exploring and fightin' bad guys prone to making melodramatic statements! That's obviously more in keeping with One Tree Hill than Stargate. Hopefully, that's just my overactive imagination strutting its stuff and not a prophetic vision. Seriously though, I'm very interested in the direction they are going to take with that. As long as it's not that one. :jack:

Good point. Character based reads CHEAPER! You won't have expensive computer graphics to deal with; just a bunch of teenage angst, love triangles with a few laser blasts now and then. None of this sounds good.

"like look at that, like I can't believe it, like." Ah, since this is Canadian, "Like look at that, like eh."

Blencathra
August 24th, 2008, 01:12 AM
The new cast for Stargate Universe :rolleyes:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/2792234878_392966bd56_o.jpg

Dimbo_Sama
August 24th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Yeah! A new cast that I don't care about!!
Woo Hoo!

It's amazing how quick people are to forget that 5 years ago, the cast of Atlantis were a new cast we didn't care about. They had Weir who was in ONE episode before and McKay who was always an antagonist on SG-1. That's it. Who was this Ford or this Shepperd? I'd never heard of a Zulenka before hand.

Everyone just has to stop over-reacting just cause SGA's being pushed out for SGU.

Sure, it's wrong, it's stupid, The Shrine if anything shows how ****ing amazing this show is, and it at least has one or two more years left in it. But personally it seems like a good comprimise for the films to be made.

and I can't stress this enough

Anyone who would make a joke like "Young SG-1" in 200 isn't going to turn around and make their show into that!

ykickamoocow
August 24th, 2008, 03:44 AM
It's amazing how quick people are to forget that 5 years ago, the cast of Atlantis were a new cast we didn't care about. They had Weir who was in ONE episode before and McKay who was always an antagonist on SG-1. That's it. Who was this Ford or this Shepperd? I'd never heard of a Zulenka before hand.

Everyone just has to stop over-reacting just cause SGA's being pushed out for SGU.

Sure, it's wrong, it's stupid, The Shrine if anything shows how ****ing amazing this show is, and it at least has one or two more years left in it. But personally it seems like a good comprimise for the films to be made.

and I can't stress this enough

Anyone who would make a joke like "Young SG-1" in 200 isn't going to turn around and make their show into that!

I just want to see David Hewlett as a main cast member as McKay is a great character and he would fit in quite well on SGU.

Madwelshboy
August 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I dont know if any one has said it yet but id love to see Kate Hewlett cast as a regular in the show.

UAGoalieGuy
August 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I just want to see David Hewlett as a main cast member as McKay is a great character and he would fit in quite well on SGU.

I'd love to see Hewlett as the the "familiar face" for the series. Either him or Sheppard.

Beckmen
August 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Apart from the CoTG nude scene, SG-1 was pretty teenage-friendly in the beginning IMO. I should know, I was myself entering my teen years when it started all those years ago... Look at all the episodes they had back then: the Nox, Torment of Tantalus, Tin Man, etc. Not very dark, but they were excellent.

Agreed. I was 15 or 16 when I first saw Stargate back in '97, and instantly fell in love.

Yeah but the popular opinion among people who want everything "dark" is to make a bunch of BSG-versions of every show on television.

BSG isn't exactly a humorous show.

The first season was pretty humorous, IMO.

jenks
August 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM

Ageist much?

Ladyinred
August 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Lets be reasonable here, AoT only sold well because it finished the Ori storyline and people wanted to see it, it was still crap though.

In YOUR opinion. A lot of people, who were completely new to it and saw perhaps one or two episodes of seasons 9 or 10, loved it.

Madwelshboy
August 24th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Jewel Staite to potenitally crossover????
http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=8817881&postcount=39

ykickamoocow
August 24th, 2008, 11:44 PM

Sounds like she may become a recurring character. My guess is 2 or 3 episodes in SGU's first season.

Vespasianus
August 25th, 2008, 12:07 AM
http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=8817881&postcount=39I think she only means in the pilot, or something. I wouldn't mind her being in SGU full-time though. Not crazy about the idea, but it's not an unbearable thought. She performed very well as a character in The Shrine. And this way Beckett'd be back in Atlantis full-time, in every movie.:)

I dont know if any one has said it yet but id love to see Kate Hewlett cast as a regular in the show.That's a very good idea IMO! She even has a husband and a kid which would make her a very conflicted character. Somewhat like Ripley from Aliens.:P

I just want to see David Hewlett as a main cast member as McKay is a great character and he would fit in quite well on SGU.Me, not, because that way he wouldn't be able to appear in the Atlantis movie(s).

ykickamoocow
August 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Me, not, because that way he wouldn't be able to appear in the Atlantis movie(s).

There are a million different ways to have Rodney McKay as a regular character on SGU and still appear in the SGA movies.

eg

The McKay in SGU could be a clone/alternate McKay etc.

Vespasianus
August 25th, 2008, 12:14 AM
There are a million different ways to have Rodney McKay as a regular character on SGU and still appear in the SGA movies.

eg

The McKay in SGU could be a clone/alternate McKay etc.True.:D I'd hate it, but it's true.

One thing that has me a bit worried though is the fact that it's apparently going to be more character-based and less based around sci-fi mythology, for want of a better word. When I read that, I had this awful image of the characters spending more time hopping between one another's beds than exploring and fightin' bad guys prone to making melodramatic statements! AT first, me too, but then I thought of this week's The Shrine, which is a little less sci-fi and more characters and relationships. I loved it. Maybe it was atease of what SGU's gonna be.:)

Of course that would drain me emotionally from week to week, but there's gonna be humor and adventures too.:)

david2708
August 25th, 2008, 12:19 AM
There will be NO crossover characters on Universe so don't even contemplate such a dead issue.
It will be, for the most part, a cast of unknowns so SciFi can do the show on the cheap.

xandder
August 25th, 2008, 12:28 AM
As much as I love Stargate, I feel the producers went overboard over the last couple of years in bringing in stars from former shows. Just a quick count:

Anyone I forgot?! ;)

I love to see these familiar faces, but I think in Stargate it got to the point where a major suspension of disbelief was required. These actors were clearly being cast just as stunts to draw in more viewers. What was more sensible was to get established genre stars in for an episode or two, i.e Marina Sirtis (Star Trek: TNG), Armin Shimmerman (Star Trek: DS9) or Kari Wuhrer (Sliders); you could acknowledge the actor without accepting them as a new regular.

It would have been nice to see Stargate finding new talent and fostering that, not relying on these established names.

I wonder who will turn up in Universe? The producers are yet to pillage Babylon 5, Buffy or Angel!

personally id loved to see some one out of buffy or angel, as much i know thats never gonna happen, most of the *big* stars out of the shows are busy with movies or other shows. ie bones, how i met your mother...

Madwelshboy
August 25th, 2008, 12:29 AM
There will be NO crossover characters on Universe so don't even contemplate such a dead issue.
It will be, for the most part, a cast of unknowns so SciFi can do the show on the cheap.

But what the class as unknowns is still the question. With SGA casting, it was a cast on unknowns yet stargate fans already new how David Hewllt was becasue of his SG1 guest sport - so he was a generally unknown actor production wise but was still someone fans would have seen before. So in casting unknowns for SGU they actually may cast actor who have had minor roles in the Stargate. As for no crossover Jewel seems to have hinted that the possiblilty, but as what special guest star/guest star/reoccuring or series regular is unknown.

ykickamoocow
August 25th, 2008, 12:31 AM
[/B]

personally id loved to see some one out of buffy or angel, as much i know thats never gonna happen, most of the *big* stars out of the shows are busy with movies or other shows. ie bones, how i met your mother...

I was always a fan of Nicholas Brendan. It would be great to see him on SGU.

Madwelshboy
August 25th, 2008, 12:35 AM
[/B]

James Masters aint working right now

ykickamoocow
August 25th, 2008, 12:38 AM

James Masters is 46. Its abit too old for SGU which is suppose to have a younger feel to it.

Madwelshboy
August 25th, 2008, 12:57 AM
James Masters is 46. Its abit too old for SGU which is suppose to have a younger feel to it.

Chances are tho that the Known actor for the show will be the oldest cast member, at least 35+.

ciannwn
August 25th, 2008, 01:09 AM

Some of us have the impression that SGU is supposed to attract BSG fans who have never bothered with Stargate before. Commander Adama and Tigh were near retiring age when BSG started and Roslin is a mature woman. As this hasn't put the BSG fans off I don't see why they should object to a character played by James Marsters just because he happens to be 46 even though he didn't look it when he turned up in Torchwood.

GusF
August 25th, 2008, 12:58 PM
AT first, me too, but then I thought of this week's The Shrine, which is a little less sci-fi and more characters and relationships. I loved it. Maybe it was atease of what SGU's gonna be.:)

I haven't seen The Shrine yet but a friend of mine has and he said it was excellent and left a lump in his throat. His opinions on all things Stargate are pretty much identical to mine so I'm sure I'll love it. Still, I'll have to judge it for myself. The premise intrigued me and I've loved every single big Rodney episode so I have high hopes for it. Anyway, Stargate always does these kind of episodes very well in my opinion so hopefully that is the sort of thing they mean and not my Stargate: One Tree Hill idea.

Touch wood!

P.S. James Marsters + Stargate = fantastic!

Khentkawes
August 25th, 2008, 10:13 PM
One thing that has me a bit worried though is the fact that it's apparently going to be more character-based and less based around sci-fi mythology, for want of a better word. When I read that, I had this awful image of the characters spending more time hopping between one another's beds than exploring and fightin' bad guys prone to making melodramatic statements!

AT first, me too, but then I thought of this week's The Shrine, which is a little less sci-fi and more characters and relationships. I loved it. Maybe it was atease of what SGU's gonna be.:)

Of course that would drain me emotionally from week to week, but there's gonna be humor and adventures too.:)

Honestly, I think it is a good thing that they say SGU will be more character-based. SG-1 was highly character based in the first few seasons, and that didn't take away from the sci-fi aspects. But, character-based is not the same thing as relationship/romance-based. As long as they keep the emphasis on characters, they should do quite well. And IMHO, Rob Cooper and Brad Wright are the most qualified to write a true character-based show.

My only concern is that the driving desire to draw in "younger audiences" will take away from the attempt at a truly character-based show by giving us a watered-down or two-dimensional version of the characters. I'm not saying that younger audiences don't like complex characters, but I am suggesting that the network might think that younger audiences don't want complex characters.

As for the possibility of younger actors, it could still work. As long as they don't have their cast acting like clueless or love-struck teenagers. Although I'd rather they are not all young twenty-somethings because honestly the "young factor" is getting a little chiched.

Again, it all comes down to how TPTB (including MGM and Sci-Fi) are defining "character-based" and "younger audiences." Because we really have no way of knowing what they mean by those terms. I'm sure they don't mean the TeenGate parody we saw in "200" (after all, they were making fun of that), but they may mean something closer to BSG/Heroes. Either way, we'll have to wait and see.

Still, I would like a known actor playing a known character (even a minor character) to help tie SGU to one of the other shows.

Flyboy
August 26th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Touch wood!

P.S. James Marsters + Stargate = fantastic!

You mean "Torchwood" right? ;)

GusF
August 26th, 2008, 01:45 AM
You mean "Torchwood" right? ;)

Ooh, good one! :D

Flyboy
August 26th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Ooh, good one! :D
I try. :)

Celtic Wizard
August 26th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Sounds like she may become a recurring character. My guess is 2 or 3 episodes in SGU's first season.

That will put me off to start!:(

ciannwn
August 26th, 2008, 07:21 AM
How can there be a recurring character from SG1 or SGA when nobody who gets on board this ship can go back to Earth?

Pitry
August 26th, 2008, 08:12 AM
How can there be a recurring character from SG1 or SGA when nobody who gets on board this ship can go back to Earth?

Could be scenes at theSGC trying to find a way to reach them/ save them/ whatever.

ciannwn
August 26th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Could be scenes at theSGC trying to find a way to reach them/ save them/ whatever.

There could in the beginning I suppose but there would be a limit as to how many times they could show SG1 and SGA characters failing in their attempts. The only way anything like this would work is if there was a planned story arc with SGU ending after a certain number of seasons with a successful rescue operation.

The other thing to consider is who would be the SG1 and SGA people working on a rescue project? Rodney, Jeannie, Zelenka, Sam and maybe Lee would be useful here but I can't think why they'd need Keller, Beckett, Teal'c or any other character who isn't a scientist.

amconway
August 26th, 2008, 09:06 AM
That was my assumption.

there would be a limit as to how many times they could show SG1 and SGA characters failing in their attempts.
Not really. It would be a logical secondary story arc. Besides, at some point they will probably have them able to get back, in much the same way as Atlantis was eventually able to contact/return to Earth at which point the emphasis could turn to exploration from escape.

Pitry
August 26th, 2008, 09:39 AM
There could in the beginning I suppose but there would be a limit as to how many times they could show SG1 and SGA characters failing in their attempts. The only way anything like this would work is if there was a planned story arc with SGU ending after a certain number of seasons with a successful rescue operation.

The other thing to consider is who would be the SG1 and SGA people working on a rescue project? Rodney, Jeannie, Zelenka, Sam and maybe Lee would be useful here but I can't think why they'd need Keller, Beckett, Teal'c or any other character who isn't a scientist.

This could be a matter of jsut the first couple of episodes.
Hmm... as for how many times they can show SG1/SGA failing in their attempts... *bites sarcastic comment* ;)

Not really. It would be a logical secondary story arc. Besides, at some point they will probably have them able to get back, in much the same way as Atlantis was eventually able to contact/return to Earth at which point the emphasis could turn to exploration from escape.

I s'pose so - theoraticaly noce they've been "out there" long enough to be established as experts on whatever it would be they woudl encounter in their journeys, one could argue removing them from the job to get a more experienced crowd would be unwise and then you can re-connect the connection to Earth without thinking of a very complex reason why it isn't "thank you & goodbye".

Questiopn is how much they would want to deal with this - if their so anxious to "reinvent the franchise" and cut themselves from SG1/SGA, then it would make sense they would not only be stranded in a different galaxy but also unlikely to come back to Earth.
Unless, o course, I'm being overly cynical again about certain comments that were made by certain TPTBs in the past several days ;)

ciannwn
August 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Hmm... as for how many times they can show SG1/SGA failing in their attempts... *bites sarcastic comment* ;)

You have a point there. Maybe they can be limited to the number of times they've failed to dispose of Michael. There would be a lot of guest appearances as a result. :)

Pitry
August 26th, 2008, 10:23 AM
You have a point there. Maybe they can be limited to the number of times they've failed to dispose of Michael. There would be a lot of guest appearances as a result. :)

Michael, Apophis, Ba'al... there could be a whole career for a recurring crossover just from that! :D

ciannwn
August 26th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Michael, Apophis, Ba'al... there could be a whole career for a recurring crossover just from that! :D

O'Neill could appear once per season to ask the science team how they're getting on. As soon as the technobabble starts he interrupts and demands a simple answer. On learning that they haven't got anywhere with solving the problem he goes away again until next time.

Daniel's guest appearance involves him saying that he couldn't find any useful information in the Atlantis database unless a certain reference is a clue to the place where the Stargate seeding ship and the Destiny were built. Maybe something of the shipyard survived on this planet so they could try looking for it. Vala then arrives to remind Sam about the shopping trip they'd arranged for that afternoon.

I'll leave others to contrive guest appearances for the rest of the SG1/SGA characters. :)

Khentkawes
August 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Did any of the news articles mention crossovers? If it's just the one comment from Jewel's blog, then I doubt it means anything. She's probably just being optimistic because there have been crossovers in the past. Even if there are any crossovers, I doubt she will be one of them.

Unless we get one minor character for the main cast of SGU, we probably won't see any of our old characters during the first season, except maybe briefly in the pilot episode.

Don't get me wrong, there are certain characters that I would love to see, but I'm not expecting anything.

singing_and_dancing
August 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM
That's just bull!!! Younger audience!!! I'm 15 and I'm feel like i'm old or something!!! New generations, what do they want, babies??? My generation which are teenagers, I'll know Stargate, they don't all like it, but they know it!
I will give Universe a chance, if they stop talking about a new generations!!! New generations ?! New generations, my ass!!! (or can't I say that?) :)

ussrelativity
August 29th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Maybe I'm just getting a bit too tense, since there is very little information still on the whole thing. We should wait until we hear some solid information.

jenks
August 29th, 2008, 02:24 AM
That's just bull!!! Younger audience!!! I'm 15 and I'm feel like i'm old or something!!! New generations, what do they want, babies??? My generation which are teenagers, I'll know Stargate, they don't all like it, but they know it!
I will give Universe a chance, if they stop talking about a new generations!!! New generations ?! New generations, my ass!!! (or can't I say that?) :)

Use your brain. You're younger then the audience they're aiming for.

ussrelativity
August 29th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I'm starting to think by "slightly younger", it may not be by much. I still have some fears but I'm sure whoever's involved with the decision making will have a good degree of reason.

Khentkawes
August 29th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Maybe I'm just getting a bit too tense, since there is very little information still on the whole thing. We should wait until we hear some solid information.

That's my philosophy at this point. We know very little. Even what we've been told... those are pretty vague hints, and ideas can change in the middle of development/production. I imagine these first few statements and interviews were meant to make all of us curious and to stir up interest. Well, they certainly stirred up something.

I'm starting to think by "slightly younger", it may not be by much. I still have some fears but I'm sure whoever's involved with the decision making will have a good degree of reason.

That's also what I've decided. I was worried when I first read the "younger audience" stuff. But now that I've had time to think it over, I think that's probably more of an attention-grabbing phrase. Sci-Fi will say anything to try and keep the BSG fans. And the producers/MGM execs are calling SGU "new and relevant" to try and draw in new viewers. Flashy catch phrases like "young and edgy" or "relevant for a new generation" are just sales tools.

When we hear more concrete information, like the cast list, then we can see if this "younger" thing is even worth worrying about. But at this point, I'm not taking it seriously anymore.

Earthgate Ricky
August 30th, 2008, 03:01 PM
If I don't like all new cast of SGU, I am out of here as I don't care if SciFi will cancel it anytime.

Teal'c_PI
August 31st, 2008, 10:15 AM
....younger audience....

So this is what it will be like, huh?

On the bridge of this ship whose name I do not know yet, the commander--who looks far too young--taps the intercom button.

Commander: Yo, man, you ever gonna figure out that hyperdrive?

In the engine room, the chief scientist--who also looks far too young--replies crabbily.

Scientist: Oh, come on, dawg, you kiddin' me or somethin'? Couple more minutes, and it'll be runnin' smooth as a new Chevy in the summertime.

The commander waits, annoyed, perhaps making some sort of "Yo, man," comment now and then, until finally the scientist says:

Scientist: Okay, man, hit it!

The ship disappears into hyperspace. On the bridge, the commander grins.

Commander: Give him his props, man.

Why must they appeal to a younger audience? Why can't they appeal to everyone? I understand that younger audiences make up a large percent of TV viewers, but...

jenks
August 31st, 2008, 06:50 PM

[...]

No.

Arturis
August 31st, 2008, 08:06 PM
My thought about the show being aimed at a "younger audience"...

Stargate: Infinity Redux anyone?

jenks
August 31st, 2008, 08:32 PM
Infinity was a children's cartoon. So no.

Major_Griff
August 31st, 2008, 08:38 PM
And BW, Coop, and the rest of the writers/producers of SG-1/SGA had nothing to do with it. At all.

PG15
August 31st, 2008, 09:13 PM
AND...just because it's supposedly aimed at younger people, doesn't mean older people can't enjoy it.

Case in point: Avatar - The Last Airbenders. Those who've seen it know what I'm talking about!

xandder
September 1st, 2008, 02:40 AM

james is actually really busy with the dragon ball z movie adaptation, and a another possible recurring arc on the new smallville season, and as much a i like james i was thinking someone much more along the lines of michelle trachtenberg (spelling?), shes young, hot! and a very capable actress, either her or one of the other potentials out of season seven, maybe molly or amanda, or amy acker out of angel would be spot on, or maybe connor aswell, the list is practically endless lol

Flyboy
September 1st, 2008, 02:44 AM
I am fed up to the teeth of hot people.

ykickamoocow
September 1st, 2008, 02:56 AM
james is actually really busy with the dragon ball z movie adaptation, and a another possible recurring arc on the new smallville season, and as much a i like james i was thinking someone much more along the lines of michelle trachtenberg (spelling?), shes young, hot! and a very capable actress, either her or one of the other potentials out of season seven, maybe molly or amanda, or amy acker out of angel would be spot on, or maybe connor aswell, the list is practically endless lol

Instead of any of them what about Nicholas Brendan, he is a good actor who isnt doing alot at the moment and the good thing about him is he could play a person in the military or a scientist.

PG15
September 1st, 2008, 01:17 PM
I am fed up to the teeth of hot people.

YES!!

Exactly what I was thinking. Most of the suggestions have been so...monotonously hot, let's say. It's always pretty boys or hot chicks. I mean, yeah, eye candy's cool, but I'd really want someone with character in their face and expressions. RDA is like this, IMHO, and even Joe F. has certain features that make him standout. And, luckily, I consider every female lead we've had to have distinguishing features.

Ikaros
September 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Stereotypes ftw. Nothing can beat them i quess...
So i wonder.. is sex and violence for younger audiences? That's the stereotype.
Vulgarity, sex, violence , unethical characters with sexy behinds and cool fronts....
Adict another generation of 10+ propably, into all this...
How fine is it?

Arctic Goddess
September 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM

On the bridge of this ship whose name I do not know yet, the commander--who looks far too young--taps the intercom button.

Commander: Yo, man, you ever gonna figure out that hyperdrive?

In the engine room, the chief scientist--who also looks far too young--replies crabbily.

Scientist: Oh, come on, dawg, you kiddin' me or somethin'? Couple more minutes, and it'll be runnin' smooth as a new Chevy in the summertime.

The commander waits, annoyed, perhaps making some sort of "Yo, man," comment now and then, until finally the scientist says:

Scientist: Okay, man, hit it!

The ship disappears into hyperspace. On the bridge, the commander grins.

Commander: Give him his props, man.

Why must they appeal to a younger audience? Why can't they appeal to everyone? I understand that younger audiences make up a large percent of TV viewers, but...

Don't forget the word, "Dude!" said almost every sentence, and lots of profanity thrown in to make a point. Yep, we really have progressed in the quality of youthful entertainment.

ruach
September 9th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Casting is very tough for something like this. If they fill it with ultra-young hotties they run the risk of losing their core audience. I f they don't have at least one or two that appeal to 14 year old boys then the advertisers will be unhappy. Well if I could deal with Ronin I guess I can manage with whomever they come up with. I ask myself what I would do given the authority to cast this show. I would want a couple of actors well known to the fans, a couple of complete unknowns and maybe one thrown in as eye candy. Sometimes eye candy can also act if given good writing so here's hoping :vala:

poundpuppy29
September 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Anyone I forgot?! ;)

My issue with this is what because they were on other sci-fi shows that excludes them getting more reliable work as actors I mean come on just because they were on other shows as regulars doesn't mean now forever more they can only be guest stars. I mean really they are actors remember. You forgot Lexa Doig from Andromeda and the actor who played Camulas Steve something also from Andromeda but prior to SG-1 I have never seen these actors so they were new to me and because I am curious about LD I plan on getting Andromeda on DVD.

GhostPoet
September 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM
By young...i'm kind of thinking they won't be casting really young actors...instead I think they will focus on less technobabble and more action and character inter-action. Take that as you will.

Khentkawes
September 9th, 2008, 04:19 PM
By young...i'm kind of thinking they won't be casting really young actors...instead I think they will focus on less technobabble and more action and character inter-action. Take that as you will.

That's what I'm assuming at this point. I think the comment about "younger audiences" referred more to the style of the show than the casting choices. And even then, I don't think they're aiming it that much younger.

It's also worth pointing out that they have cast young actors, unknown actors, and actors that could be considered "eye candy" before. And several of those worked out amazingly well.

GhostPoet
September 10th, 2008, 11:09 AM
That's what I'm assuming at this point. I think the comment about "younger audiences" referred more to the style of the show than the casting choices. And even then, I don't think they're aiming it that much younger.

It's also worth pointing out that they have cast young actors, unknown actors, and actors that could be considered "eye candy" before. And several of those worked out amazingly well.

That's true.

I think what we're seeing with this last season of Atlantis (and the last season of SG-1) is somewhat the direction they are taking. Lately Atlantis has had a lot more action, a little darker and a bit more talking without technobabble...I think that's the direction they've been wanting to go for a while...

Athosian Death facilitator
September 10th, 2008, 06:51 PM
so wait.... fifteen episodes?? per season of sgu or am i missing something

Major_Griff
September 10th, 2008, 10:17 PM
so wait.... fifteen episodes?? per season of sgu or am i missing something

Where did you get that? I thought it was 20.

Khentkawes
September 11th, 2008, 12:08 AM
That's true.

I think what we're seeing with this last season of Atlantis (and the last season of SG-1) is somewhat the direction they are taking. Lately Atlantis has had a lot more action, a little darker and a bit more talking without technobabble...I think that's the direction they've been wanting to go for a while...

Good point.

The Stargate Solutions website has an exclusive Q & A with Joe Mallozzi, and when they asked about the "younger audience" and "new direction" of SGU, he pointed out that they are always trying to draw in a younger audience, and that Atlantis specifically began with that purpose in mind. So basically, this "new direction" isn't new. Granted JM is not in charge or SGU, but his point is still valid.

Someone, I think it was Brad Wright, said they wanted SGU to be more "character-based." Oddly enough, I feel like SG1 started out as "character-based," and that's what some fans thought was lacking in Atlantis. In which case, this "new direction" really isn't new.

GateFanSamJack
October 25th, 2008, 07:24 AM

You'll get your darker show. In the other series, if characters had lingering PTSD from their experiences, they would have to get over it by the next episode or be section 8'd. In this series, they'll have to make do with character flaws that show up - sorta' like Voyager did, only more realistically this time, please.

crowmagnumman
October 25th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Instead of any of them what about Nicholas Brendan, he is a good actor who isnt doing alot at the moment and the good thing about him is he could play a person in the military or a scientist.

I became a fan of him after Buffy. He really deserves to get some better roles after Buffy. If Stargate Universe is any good, I wouldn't mind seeing him on that.

But what I really want is to see him play a younger Ash in an Evil Dead remake. Bruce Campbell is awesome, and I think the only person that could ever come close to doing Ash as well is Nicholas Brendon. He's even got a twin brother that could be Evil Ash. Having a twin brother would no doubt come in handy for Stargate Universe as well.

Platschu
October 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I think "Psycho" should be a woman and maybe they should change the gender of Chloe Carpenter and Eli Hitchcock too. ;)

Betelgeuze
October 25th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I've been *****ing in several other threads that i want a more culturally diverse team. I also must admit that i find it rather strange that they would send such an inexperienced team on a mission like this. The stereotypes i can get over, but i wish they'd ad some diversity.