X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Feelings about SGU's Casting

From the GateWorld news article

Proving that you can't keep a good franchise down -- at least not for more than a day or so -- the SCI FI Channel has green-lit production on Stargate Universe, the third live-action television series, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The official press release from MGM and SCI FI is expected later today.

Universe will have a 2-hour premiere in 2009, and land in a regular time slot next summer -- meaning there will not be a production gap between the second and third Stargate television series.

The trade magazine also reported that the show will be set on board a previously unmanned ship called the Destiny, and will involve more space-based action than its predecessors. "Unable to return to Earth, the crew must fend for themselves aboard the ship, which has a preprogrammed mission taking them to the far reaches of the universe," the magazine said.

The producers are reportedly looking to cast a known actor for one of the leading roles, and fresh faces to round out the cast. This would follow the pattern of SG-1, which earned a lot of marketability from leading man Richard Dean Anderson when it premiered in 1997, rather than the largely unknown cast of Atlantis.

The new series will also be aimed at a slightly younger audience, SCI FI president Dave Howe said.

"This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation," he said. "We really don't want to be more of the same. It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe."

"In Universe, we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home," series co-creators Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper said. "Above all, we believe the Stargate itself remains an enduring icon with infinite potential as a jumping-off point for telling stories."

Wright and Cooper will also executive produce. The two created Stargate Atlantis, which will end its TV run in January (story). An Atlantis movie will also air later in 2009 on SCI FI -- hopefully the first of many.
    Okay, So although I am not happy at all about the loss of SGA I am coming to understand the fact that there is not much we can do in terms of getting SGA back on the air and on the bright side we will still get movies. So that leaves Stargate: Universe. As i was reading the article i found myself hating the idea of Universe less and less UNTIL i read something that struck my heart
    The new series will also be aimed at a slightly younger audience
    now i am not sure how young they plan to go and im not even sure what age SG1 and atlantis were geared for but when i think that they are going to make it for a younger audience i just imagine a live action version of Infinity and im sure more people do not want that.
    So how does everyone else feel about the
    younger audiences
    line and how will it effect your interest of Stargate if at all?

Well read my post in the Stargate Universe Speculation thread... and then wait for the horrible bashing in this thread.
    My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

TEEN GATE HAS ARRIVED!

The writers were just joking, but it looks like Skiffy and MGM actually liked the idea.

IT WAS A JOKE!

Gah! 15 episodes and the movies. 15 episodes and the movies. With real characters. And real stories...

If you're wondering how time travel works, and other science facts
      Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a kickass show, I should really just relax'

Muh Arts-like Thingies

Comment

That highlighted line reminds me of the teen!SG-1 skit from the 200th episode:

"One of the new 'junior executives' at the network has suggested we recast the whole movie with 'younger, edgier versions' of the team. Can you imagine that?"

Granted, that was my favorite skit of the episode....so who knows, maybe I'll love the new series.

Originally posted by The TARDIS View Post
        Gah! 15 episodes and the movies. 15 episodes and the movies. With real characters. And real stories...
        ...and with real people with real feelings?

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

It`s not a secret that Stargate has problems getting enough attention by younger audiences (meaning 14-49) compared to Shows like BSG.

I think it will mean a little more drama what isn not paticular bad in my eyes.
          It worked pretty ok with BSG
          Sorry for my bad english...I`m still learning.

Comment

there goes my hope for darker show...
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
              there goes my hope for darker show...
              Yeah, I was kind of hoping for a darker more violent Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by Harkonnen View Post
                Yeah, I was kind of hoping for a darker more violent Stargate.
                Sawgate? No thanks. Why would anyone want to take all the fun and humor out of Stargate. That is the CORE of the show. It wouldn't even be Stargate anymore.

Comment

Thanks for the article.

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
                  mostly young and desperate explorers
                  Am I the only one who thinks "Keller" here?
                  My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                  Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh, I don't know; "fend for themselves" and "desperate" all seems like the perfect condition for something dark, at least for Stargate.

I for one don't want BSG "dark", if that's what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by NKDietrich View Post
                      Sawgate? No thanks. Why would anyone want to take all the fun and humor out of Stargate. That is the CORE of the show. It wouldn't even be Stargate anymore.
                      A darker show can still have humor....

Comment

That line concerned me as well. It was sounding great until that point. They're going to target a younger audience? I thought that's what they were trying to do with Atlantis? How much younger can they get? My other fear is that the desire to attract younger audiences will lead them to dumb down stargate, when what I really want to see is for them to give us episodes that make us think. They need to treat their audience like the intelligent group of people that they are.

But my favorite quote was when he said the new series would involve

breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home
                        Huh? Was that supposed to sound so melodramatic? And it sounds like a space soap to me (oh wait, they're probably taking their strategies from BSG. Which doesn't inspire confidence from me).

But other than the whole "younger audience" thing, I was pretty optimistic about the info we've been given. I'm still trying to be open minded about this and hopefully SGU will turn into something I actually look forward to watching.
                        Last edited by Khentkawes; 25 August 2008, 08:57 PM.
                        Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                        Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by Tal-Galahad View Post
                          It`s not a secret that Stargate has problems getting enough attention by younger audiences (meaning 14-49) compared to Shows like BSG.

I think it will mean a little more drama what isn not paticular bad in my eyes.
                          It worked pretty ok with BSG
                          So if we are using BSG as a model of what younger audience wants then clearly SGU should just be like SG1 and SGA except for 1 thing.

Lots and lots more sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Harkonnen View Post
                            A darker show can still have humor....
                            Yeah but the popular opinion among people who want everything "dark" is to make a bunch of BSG-versions of every show on television.

BSG isn't exactly a humorous show.

Comment

Welcome to Stargate: The OC

Comment

Working...
                              X