X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Universe: Sci Fi orders 'Stargate' spin-off

From The Hollywood Reporter:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Sci Fi orders 'Stargate' spin-off

August 21, 2008

Sci Fi Channel isn’t about to let down “Stargate” fans.

The network is set to announce the order of a new series from MGM Television, “Stargate: Universe,” that will mark the third entry in Sci Fi’s longest-running original series franchise.

The greenlight comes on the heels of Sci Fi’s confirming Thursday that “Stargate: Atlantis” will not receive a sixth-season order. The “Universe” pickup ensures the continuation of the popular “Stargate” franchise, which has been on the air in various incarnations since 1997.

“Universe” will premiere as a two-hour movie early next year and will assume a regular hourly slot in the summer. Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, co-creators of “Stargate: SG-1” and “Atlantis,” will serve as executive producers and writers on the new series.

The new show will involve more space-based action than “SG-1” or “Atlantis.” With the “Star Trek” television franchise having folded in 2005 and Sci Fi’s “Battlestar Galactica” airing its final episodes next year, the network hopes “Universe” will become sci-fi fans’ new favorite space-travel series.

**snippage**

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

I have mixed feelings about this.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      I have mixed feelings about this.
      That's only normal at a time like this.

But after all these years of Stargate -- 10 years of SG1 and five years of SGA -- 11 years in total so far...hopefully the tendency towards an optimistic outlook will prevail.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
        That's only normal at a time like this.

But after all these years of Stargate -- 10 years of SG1 and five years of SGA -- 11 years in total so far...hopefully the tendency towards an optimistic outlook will prevail.

I am happy that the franchise is continuing but I am not ready to let go of Atlantis yet.
        sigpic

Comment

I am happy that the franchise is continuing but I am not ready to let go of Atlantis yet.
          True, I still want my weekly fix of SGA. Which we do have for a while...and then we get movies. And we have the audio dramas from Big Finish, and the fan novels from Fandemonium...and the fan fiction...

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Here is from SCI FI ...

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=58972
            sigpic

Comment

Thank you.

LOL! I love how they quote the source as The Hollywood Reporter!

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I find the timing odd, but I'm glad they will continue. however the premise of the store reminds me a little of trek though. I mean, one ship, one crew, surviving far from home...could be interesting...as long as it doesn't become too much like trek.

Comment

We do have five months and 15 episodes to let Atlantis go, fortunately.

That said, and with all the respect in the world for Atlantis, I am extremely pumped for Universe.

It looks to me like The Hollywood Reporter was given a jump on the press release that is going out later today (Friday). There is a bit more news about the show, I am told, so stay tuned.
                  Last edited by Darren; 21 August 2008, 10:37 PM.
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                    We do have five months and 15 episodes to let Atlantis go, fortunately.

That said, and with all the respect in the world for Atlantis, I am extremely pumped for Universe.

It looks to me like The Hollywood Reporter was given a jump on the press release that is going out later today (Friday). There is a bit more news about the show, I am told, to stay tuned.
                    Cool!

Thanks for the update, Darren!

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Can't say I'm surprised. It was kind of obvious that Atlantis was being cancelled for Universe. I'll still give it try even if its sad
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm somewhat disappointed that Universe will be primarily space-based. The fact that Stargate was heavy on location exploration and outdoor combat was what really set it apart from other Sci fi shows. If I want a show about a "starship and crew" I can watch Star Trek... specifically Voyager in this case. I loved TNG and VOY, but SG always had that blood pumping action-packed thrill in it that topped off every story with fun. I was hoping to find more of that and less space ship conveniences (beaming and sensor readouts showing us what is happening half-heartedly)... oh well. I'm still optimistic about the show, but from wut I just read... I am disappointed that it is primarily space-based.

I trust you Brad!!

Comment

The space part doesn't worry me that much; I was introduced into SciFi by the Star Trek franchise, after all.

No, what worries me is the young-factor. Younger audiences? Young, desperate explorers? Wonderbread?

Let's see where this goes.

Comment

^ I agree as well. I just didn't want to let go of Atlantis for this. Not yet, that is.

Comment

There's a lot of Stargate coming. Good news, at least for me.
                              www.cheshil.com
                              http://www.cheshil.com/forum
                              http://www.youtube.com/CTJMDProductions

Comment

Working...
                              X