This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boycott Universe!!!

GREAT.So we've been denied Season 6 of Atlantis,just as we're loving the new changes.So let's boycott Universe in protest.
    I can just imagine an interview with the directors:

"so what's the story behind universe?" "oh, we're very excited about universe." "that's good, because no-one else is."

Ha!
    Anyone agree?There's no point petitioning,that did nothing for SG1,all we can do is show the <don't call tptb names> in the big black chairs that we're not happy.
    Last edited by Skydiver; 21 August 2008, 06:14 AM.

Originally posted by stargate71287 View Post
    GREAT.So we've been denied Season 6 of Atlantis,just as we're loving the new changes.So let's boycott Universe in protest.

"so what's the story behind universe?" "oh, we're very excited about universe." "that's good, because no-one else is."

Ha!
    Anyone agree?There's no point petitioning,that did nothing for SG1,all we can do is show the <don't cal tptb names> in the big black chairs that we're not happy.
    why boycott one stargate show to save another ???

if universe does bad then that means MGM was justified to cancel Atlantis
    Last edited by Skydiver; 21 August 2008, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Thats retarded if I was honest. If I was the Sci-Fi exec I would have three shows running.

Think of the ratings :drool:

Comment

Originally posted by Zelda fan View Post
        why boycott one stargate show to save another ???

if universe does bad then that means MGM was justified to cancel Atlantis
        Bingo. The bottom line is, the best thing we can do for the franchise as a whole is give Universe a chance. Assuming, even, that Sci-Fi has picked it up or is planning to. I hate to be the one to point it out, but we don't know if they will, even. While many signs (including, unfortunately, Atlantis' weekly cancellation) would tend to indicate they're considering it, they may just as well be reducing their involvement with the entire Stargate franchise as a whole and decide they're uninterested in Universe.

I doubt it, but still. Let's not get terribly ahead of ourselves. We're almost making it sound like this was part of the news announcement as well.

And by the way, when I say 'the best thing for the franchise', please consider that if SGU's ratings were downright abysmal or something, the interest in SG-1/SGA continuation will dwindle even if they maintain strong sales. Why? Because it all comes together in various aspects. If the weekly series is doing poorly, the franchise as a whole is seen as less financially viable and secure for longer-term scenarios. And thusly, the amount of MGM interest in continually greenlighting further SGA will be kicked in the...

...almost said something potentially undesirable for these parts. This news is really kicking me.
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Im just annoyed that they have canceled a proven show for a unproven one. Stargate Universe could have waited afew more years as i think Atlantis still had quite alot of stories to tell.

I said afew weeks ago that Atlantis could have easily gone for 7 seasons as the general premise was good and the stories were still of a high quality. They should have let Atlantis go for another 2 seasons (at least) and only then start thinking about another Stargate show.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate71287 View Post

Ha!
            Anyone agree?There's no point petitioning,that did nothing for SG1,all we can do is show the <don't call tptb names> in the big black chairs that we're not happy.
            idiotic statement are you sure they cancelled SGA only because of SGU?? I don't think so

+ more money from SGU will encourage MGM to spend more money for SG-1/SGA
            Last edited by Skydiver; 21 August 2008, 06:16 AM.
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

i agree with you no point in even trying mgm dont know a good money maker when they see it why cancel something good that could last for ever no season 6 that sucks

Comment

As far as I know, it was SCIFI that cancelled it, not MGM.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                  idiotic statement are you sure they cancelled SGA only because of SGU?? I don't think so

+ more money from SGU will encourage MGM to spend more money for SG-1/SGA
                  Sweet. This makes a grand total of two things I 100% agree with you on, my friend, but two very big ones.
                  If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

I didn't like the SG1 movies very much, they weren't as good as the series in my view and I think the same will happen with Atlantis. I will watch any film versions they make but I doubt they will be as good as the series is. It could go on for another couple of seasons easily.

I doubt I will watch stargate universe, I am not a huge Sci fi fan and have no interest in the show or its premise. I watched SG1 (until season 8, I hated Mitchell so I barely watched SG1 after season 8) and subsequently SGA for the humour and the characters (O'Neill and Shepperd) not the premise.

Comment

I'm torn. I don't want to watch SGU because it seems to be one of the main reasons SGA was cancelled. But if I watch it, I'll help show that Stargate fans are still fighting for the franchise. Argh, confliction...

Comment

Let's try to see what SGU looks like it's all about, not just read it, and when we have more intel, assuming it even happens any time soon, go by that, eh?

Me, I'm watching it. The premise sounds decent enough, and I'm giving it a chance regardless. Stargate Atlantis got five seasons and it's going to get continuations in the future. Already, that's four seasons more than countless series people have loved in the past, and as Stargate operates so well with itself in terms of multiple series, this is by no means the last we'll see from the likes of Sheppard and the gang.

It's a sore, powerful blow to fans the world over that they won't be on our television sets or available wherever, however, for twenty weeks of the year. But it is what it is. Life goes on; I'm trying to remain as positive as possible. And what is positive is that like SG-1 before it, Atlantis isn't truly over. Not entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
                          Life goes on; I'm trying to remain as positive as possible. And what is positive is that like SG-1 before it, Atlantis isn't truly over. Not entirely.
                          Yes but SG1 got 10 seasons while Atlantis only got 5. The show deserved 2 more seasons in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                            Yes but SG1 got 10 seasons while Atlantis only got 5. The show deserved 2 more seasons in my opinion.
                            But SG-1 got ten seasons when most sci-fi series don't even get more than a couple. SG-1 was the exception. It also evolved continuously, and the presence of RDA drew a vague but steady enough mainstream recognition that it just kept on going. And let's not forget that it had exactly five seasons on Showtime, then exactly five more on the Sci-Fi Channel.

Five seems the key number even with SG-1. It was given a second lifetime because Sci-Fi picked it up, but since SGA doesn't have the benefit of having been somewhere before Sci-Fi picked it up, it received the five that Sci-Fi seems comfortable with in terms of either.

As Joe Mallozzi has said recently, it seems five might be a historically adamant number in the future as much as the past. (Well, he said something totally different which I can't recall, but that was the message.) Five is apparently likely for future spinoffs as well.

I don't deny that SGA should have gotten two more. I wanted it to get one more, or two more, or three more. Or more. But... oh well.

Comment

One must note though that five seasons is actually somewhat of a decent numbe for a TV show since some series barely last more then three seasons at times. However, having said that, I do think SGA needed at least another season just to wrap up some plotlines as I think there are too many for SGA movies to make effectively. Plus, I wanted to see the DV aliens again anyway, personally, not going to boycott Universe and will wait to see how it goes though I am somewhat disappointed by SGA's cancellation.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Working...
                              X