PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Universe!!!

Pages : [1] 2

stargate71287
August 21st, 2008, 02:02 AM
GREAT.So we've been denied Season 6 of Atlantis,just as we're loving the new changes.So let's boycott Universe in protest.
I can just imagine an interview with the directors:

"so what's the story behind universe?" "oh, we're very excited about universe." "that's good, because no-one else is."

Ha!
Anyone agree?There's no point petitioning,that did nothing for SG1,all we can do is show the <don't call tptb names> in the big black chairs that we're not happy.

Zelda fan
August 21st, 2008, 02:15 AM
GREAT.So we've been denied Season 6 of Atlantis,just as we're loving the new changes.So let's boycott Universe in protest.

"so what's the story behind universe?" "oh, we're very excited about universe." "that's good, because no-one else is."

Ha!
Anyone agree?There's no point petitioning,that did nothing for SG1,all we can do is show the <don't cal tptb names> in the big black chairs that we're not happy.
why boycott one stargate show to save another ???

if universe does bad then that means MGM was justified to cancel Atlantis

globex
August 21st, 2008, 02:26 AM
Thats retarded if I was honest. If I was the Sci-Fi exec I would have three shows running.

Think of the ratings :drool:

Jeff O'Connor
August 21st, 2008, 02:36 AM

if universe does bad then that means MGM was justified to cancel Atlantis

Bingo. The bottom line is, the best thing we can do for the franchise as a whole is give Universe a chance. Assuming, even, that Sci-Fi has picked it up or is planning to. I hate to be the one to point it out, but we don't know if they will, even. While many signs (including, unfortunately, Atlantis' weekly cancellation) would tend to indicate they're considering it, they may just as well be reducing their involvement with the entire Stargate franchise as a whole and decide they're uninterested in Universe.

I doubt it, but still. Let's not get terribly ahead of ourselves. We're almost making it sound like this was part of the news announcement as well.

And by the way, when I say 'the best thing for the franchise', please consider that if SGU's ratings were downright abysmal or something, the interest in SG-1/SGA continuation will dwindle even if they maintain strong sales. Why? Because it all comes together in various aspects. If the weekly series is doing poorly, the franchise as a whole is seen as less financially viable and secure for longer-term scenarios. And thusly, the amount of MGM interest in continually greenlighting further SGA will be kicked in the...

...almost said something potentially undesirable for these parts. This news is really kicking me.

ykickamoocow
August 21st, 2008, 02:40 AM
Im just annoyed that they have canceled a proven show for a unproven one. Stargate Universe could have waited afew more years as i think Atlantis still had quite alot of stories to tell.

I said afew weeks ago that Atlantis could have easily gone for 7 seasons as the general premise was good and the stories were still of a high quality. They should have let Atlantis go for another 2 seasons (at least) and only then start thinking about another Stargate show.

g.o.d
August 21st, 2008, 02:42 AM

Ha!
Anyone agree?There's no point petitioning,that did nothing for SG1,all we can do is show the <don't call tptb names> in the big black chairs that we're not happy.

idiotic statement :rolleyes: are you sure they cancelled SGA only because of SGU?? I don't think so

+ more money from SGU will encourage MGM to spend more money for SG-1/SGA

bored atlantis fan
August 21st, 2008, 02:43 AM
i agree with you no point in even trying mgm dont know a good money maker when they see it why cancel something good that could last for ever no season 6 that sucks

ussrelativity
August 21st, 2008, 02:44 AM
As far as I know, it was SCIFI that cancelled it, not MGM.

Jeff O'Connor
August 21st, 2008, 02:50 AM
idiotic statement :rolleyes: are you sure they cancelled SGA only because of SGU?? I don't think so

Sweet. This makes a grand total of two things I 100% agree with you on, my friend, but two very big ones.

crazy_kitty85
August 21st, 2008, 02:52 AM
I didn't like the SG1 movies very much, they weren't as good as the series in my view and I think the same will happen with Atlantis. I will watch any film versions they make but I doubt they will be as good as the series is. It could go on for another couple of seasons easily.

I doubt I will watch stargate universe, I am not a huge Sci fi fan and have no interest in the show or its premise. I watched SG1 (until season 8, I hated Mitchell so I barely watched SG1 after season 8) and subsequently SGA for the humour and the characters (O'Neill and Shepperd) not the premise.

firefly827347
August 21st, 2008, 02:53 AM
I'm torn. I don't want to watch SGU because it seems to be one of the main reasons SGA was cancelled. But if I watch it, I'll help show that Stargate fans are still fighting for the franchise. Argh, confliction...

Jeff O'Connor
August 21st, 2008, 02:57 AM
Let's try to see what SGU looks like it's all about, not just read it, and when we have more intel, assuming it even happens any time soon, go by that, eh?

Me, I'm watching it. The premise sounds decent enough, and I'm giving it a chance regardless. Stargate Atlantis got five seasons and it's going to get continuations in the future. Already, that's four seasons more than countless series people have loved in the past, and as Stargate operates so well with itself in terms of multiple series, this is by no means the last we'll see from the likes of Sheppard and the gang.

It's a sore, powerful blow to fans the world over that they won't be on our television sets or available wherever, however, for twenty weeks of the year. But it is what it is. Life goes on; I'm trying to remain as positive as possible. And what is positive is that like SG-1 before it, Atlantis isn't truly over. Not entirely.

ykickamoocow
August 21st, 2008, 03:00 AM
Life goes on; I'm trying to remain as positive as possible. And what is positive is that like SG-1 before it, Atlantis isn't truly over. Not entirely.

Yes but SG1 got 10 seasons while Atlantis only got 5. The show deserved 2 more seasons in my opinion.

Jeff O'Connor
August 21st, 2008, 03:03 AM
Yes but SG1 got 10 seasons while Atlantis only got 5. The show deserved 2 more seasons in my opinion.

But SG-1 got ten seasons when most sci-fi series don't even get more than a couple. SG-1 was the exception. It also evolved continuously, and the presence of RDA drew a vague but steady enough mainstream recognition that it just kept on going. And let's not forget that it had exactly five seasons on Showtime, then exactly five more on the Sci-Fi Channel.

Five seems the key number even with SG-1. It was given a second lifetime because Sci-Fi picked it up, but since SGA doesn't have the benefit of having been somewhere before Sci-Fi picked it up, it received the five that Sci-Fi seems comfortable with in terms of either.

As Joe Mallozzi has said recently, it seems five might be a historically adamant number in the future as much as the past. (Well, he said something totally different which I can't recall, but that was the message.) Five is apparently likely for future spinoffs as well.

I don't deny that SGA should have gotten two more. I wanted it to get one more, or two more, or three more. Or more. But... oh well.

Prior_of_the_Ori
August 21st, 2008, 03:04 AM
One must note though that five seasons is actually somewhat of a decent numbe for a TV show since some series barely last more then three seasons at times. However, having said that, I do think SGA needed at least another season just to wrap up some plotlines as I think there are too many for SGA movies to make effectively. Plus, I wanted to see the DV aliens again :( anyway, personally, not going to boycott Universe and will wait to see how it goes though I am somewhat disappointed by SGA's cancellation.

ykickamoocow
August 21st, 2008, 03:07 AM
I know it wont happen but i would like to see a Atlantis character (maybe McKay) end up as a main character on Stargate Universe. David Hewlett loves science fiction and im sure he would be willing to go on Stargate Universe.

Jeff O'Connor
August 21st, 2008, 03:09 AM
One must note though that five seasons is actually somewhat of a decent numbe for a TV show since some series barely last more then three seasons at times. However, having said that, I do think SGA needed at least another season just to wrap up some plotlines as I think there are too many for SGA movies to make effectively. Plus, I wanted to see the DV aliens again :( anyway, personally, not going to boycott Universe and will wait to see how it goes though I am somewhat disappointed by SGA's cancellation.

Ditto on all counts.

Laura Dove
August 21st, 2008, 03:15 AM
I'm not going to boycott Stargate Universe, and certainly not incite people to do so. Plain and simple, I will just probably not watch it -- not because I'm mad but because it's another show, and I usually don't watch TV series at all.

Factors that made me discover SGA and love it and buy the DVDs were very special:
* A friend of mine basically "forced" me to watch "The Rising",
* I instantly loved Elizabeth Weir,
* I instantly loved the amazing city of Atlantis and its discovery,
* I instantly loved the wraith.
Later in the series, we lost Weir and the discovery factor, but we gained Todd, who is now my favourite character. No individual element would be enough for me to watch (with maybe the exception of Todd): It's the accumulation of these factors that are the reason why I watch SGA: The team interaction, main and secondary characters, the specific balance between action, humour and character development...

Now what has Universe? Different place, different characters, different storyline... Why should I care more than for any other sci-fi show, just because it has "Stargate" in it and is written by the same people? It's another show anyway. I don't want to boycott it, but why should I care?

Zelda fan
August 21st, 2008, 03:20 AM
besides there are msot important things to boycott then a show

"cough" gas prices "cough" :P

we'll know more later today more why the show was discontunied

Jeff O'Connor
August 21st, 2008, 03:23 AM
Well, Laura, maybe Universe will possess at least a similar kind of schematic in terms of its balance between humor and more serious issues? Also, if it's written by the same people, it stands to reason that there could be characters as well-done as Weir and Todd coming from them.

Kris_x-303

Yeah its SCIFI thats cancelled it, however this does open 2 possibilities;

Another channel will buy it. i.e. Sky One or FX
The producers are going to try and find another channel to show it or are just going to get on with SGU

But still theres no need to boycott universe, its keeping the franchise open abit longer..

virtues
Hey theres an idea! Why doesn't show time pick it up again and get the ratings that will come back to bite sci if in the ass?that way showtime gets all the good ratings with half the work!

CazzBlade
August 21st, 2008, 03:25 AM

It was MGM.

And I wasn't going to watch SGU anyway.

stargatefan234
August 21st, 2008, 03:42 AM

exactly, if this means we get 2 SGA movies atleast one SG1 movie next year, and then the next year SGU and 1 or 2 STARGATE movies pooling from both casts and both showpast for storylines, i could live with that.

shame though because i dont think we'll get SGU next year and will have to wait another year.

Lord Zedd
August 21st, 2008, 03:46 AM

if universe does bad then that means MGM was justified to cancel Atlantis It is the SCIFI CHANNEL that cancelled Stargate SG1 and now again Atlantis. NOT MGM!

Jeff O'Connor
August 21st, 2008, 03:50 AM
Were people seriously expecting SG-1 to last forever? Ten seasons is incredible. For whatever varying reasons, both networks which aired the series thought in fives, ultimately. Showtime from the get-go; Sci-Fi over time. Same thing happened with SGA.

Five seasons isn't bad, and both shows are continuing in their own ways. And if you hated AoT and Continuum, then I'm sorry, but with many people hating entire seasons of the series and its sister, you aren't unique in hand-picking a particular portion of the franchise and loathing it. It happens all over this franchise, and entertainment as a whole.

I'm truly sorry if you hate the idea of SGA continuing on a two-hour basis, but it is what it is. But Sci-Fi ending it after five years, while from a ratings perspective seeming off, isn't exactly the network's biggest blunder in history, and it isn't completely surprising, either.

Oma Yksilo
August 21st, 2008, 03:52 AM
Doing DVD's for series seems to be the 'new' thing. BSG is doing the same, tieing up their story whilst having DVD movies. So we ain't exactly alone in this situation.

david2708
August 21st, 2008, 03:56 AM
Don't worry Universe wont happen.
Why would the channel make another Stargate show when the last just got cancelled?
They know the franchise in it's current form is finished and SCIFI will just move on to other new fresh stuff.

Heaven
August 21st, 2008, 04:14 AM
as much as I love the characters cancellation makes sense
the show is going nowhere, there's no story left to tell
the writers have become more concentrated on action than actual story, and the franchise has completely lost all sense of adventure which shows both in Atlantis and the movies.

SGU is a chance at a fresh start, a new plot and new concepts
and now that it's going to get the writers' full attention its looking even better

Myles
August 21st, 2008, 04:15 AM
Why would the channel make another Stargate show when the last just got cancelled?
They know the franchise in it's current form is finished and SCIFI will just move on to other new fresh stuff.

It's entirely possible they canceled SGA so the money going into it could go into Universe if they thought it would do better. Sci Fi also wants to be apart of the future DVD movies.

david2708
August 21st, 2008, 04:23 AM
It's entirely possible they canceled SGA so the money going into it could go into Universe if they thought it would do better. Sci Fi also wants to be apart of the future DVD movies.
It's my expectation that Universe is being written by the same tired old lot that did the previous gate shows. Why would SCIFI think they were going to get anything that new or different from the other Stargate shows they had?

SGFerrit
August 21st, 2008, 04:30 AM

I wouldn't be so sure about that. You make it sound as if you know Universe won't happen, and I peronally think you're wrong. I can see it being even more likely now, especially if the whole 'MGM cancelled Atlantis' thing is true.

I'm sad about this. But I'm certainly going to give Universe a chance.

CazzBlade
August 21st, 2008, 04:46 AM

The producers are going to try and find another channel to show it or are just going to get on with SGU

But still theres no need to boycott universe, its keeping the franchise open abit longer..

Another channel will not buy it because MGM will stop producing the series (so that they can fund SGU), I've heard that they didn't go to Sci-fi for renewal. Sci-fi may well have renewed it considering the improvement in ratings and that they want to air more movies, they didn't air the SG1 movies because it was Sci-Fi that cancelled SG1.

Skydiver
August 21st, 2008, 06:17 AM
Folks, again, be as upset as you want bout what has happened, but do NOT call tptb names. Do NOT call each other names.

FoolishPleasure
August 21st, 2008, 06:22 AM
I haven't liked a lot of the changes done to SGA recently, so when word of "Universe" leaked out, it caught my interest. I don't mind a carryover character or two - maybe one each from SG1 and SGA, but I do hope there is a major overhaul in the writing department. Most SGA episodes have turned into total retreads of SG1 episodes and it has been disappointing to see the lack of creativity by the current writing staff.

Better luck with the next show, and hopefully TPTB have learned the lesson of the day - don't kill off your most loved characters for shock value!

The Prophet
August 21st, 2008, 06:24 AM
We don't know if Universe will be greenlit yet.

If not, then that's the Stargate Franchise practically dead.

The only thing that's perhaps hopeful is a 3rd SG-1 Movie and an Atlantis Movie.

After that we'll have to survive on the occasional movie being produced, which Atlantis might not get more than 1 of.

ykickamoocow
August 21st, 2008, 06:27 AM
I haven't liked a lot of the changes done to SGA recently, so when word of "Universe" leaked out, it caught my interest. I don't mind a carryover character or two - maybe one each from SG1 and SGA, but I do hope there is a major overhaul in the writing department. Most SGA episodes have turned into total retreads of SG1 episodes and it has been disappointing to see the lack of creativity by the current writing staff.

Better luck with the next show, and hopefully TPTB have learned the lesson of the day - don't kill off your most loved characters for shock value!

McKay would be a great carry over character as he is a character which most people like and he certainly has room for more character development.

GhostPoet
August 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
The best thing for the franchise would be to leave Sci-Fi channel. They are one of the worst networks out there.

magictrick
August 21st, 2008, 06:43 AM
SGA will be done after five seasons, whether you like it or not.

You can choose to continue to support the Stargate franchise by looking forward to (and hoping that it will get produced) SGU or you can be angry and try to boycott it and only hurt the Stargate franchise.

GhostPoet
August 21st, 2008, 06:56 AM
why does universe HAVE to come out on this channel? Why not a more stable channel?

jelgate
August 21st, 2008, 07:24 AM
Boycotting SGU won't solve much. Even if you could get every American Stargate fan to not watch, it still wouldn't matter when compared to the casual viewers

Ugly Pig
August 21st, 2008, 07:54 AM

Ha!

That is without a doubt the stupidest strategy to save a show I've ever heard of. No amount of "boycotting" will bring back Atlantis. A boycott can only serve to hurt the franchise.

Besides, we don't know why SGA was cancelled. Who ever said it was to make room for Universe? I doubt very much this was the case. It makes no sense (why cancel a proven success in favor of a new show which may very well fail??).

VSS
August 21st, 2008, 07:56 AM
We don't know if Universe will be greenlit yet.

If not, then that's the Stargate Franchise practically dead.

The only thing that's perhaps hopeful is a 3rd SG-1 Movie and an Atlantis Movie.

After that we'll have to survive on the occasional movie being produced, which Atlantis might not get more than 1 of.

Thank you for succinctly summarizing what we know so far.

One thing that appears to be true is that Atlantis didn't get cancelled because of SGU, because it doesn't look like SGU is even in the pipeline yet.

shivna
August 21st, 2008, 08:10 AM
i feel bad that its canceled but i cant stand to boycott universe

Fjord
August 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM
I guess the only remnant of the Sg franchise is now Stargate Worlds.......which hasn't been drawing alot of positive attention lately...

Linda06
August 21st, 2008, 09:45 AM
Well if this show is the cause of Atlantis getting dumped i for one am not watching it :mad:

Reiko
August 21st, 2008, 10:16 AM
GREAT.So we've been denied Season 6 of Atlantis,just as we're loving the new changes.

» Not everybody love the new changes. :o

Vala_M
August 21st, 2008, 10:26 AM
I agree. We didn't need another show. It looks like they cancelled Atlantis just to make this show. The stupid scifi has a knack of cancelling an expensive show to produce a cheap substitute.

Vala,

The Prophet
August 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
I'd laugh if Universe was actually just set in the Pegasus Galaxy on a second cityship, and TPTB were just pulling our legs by cancellation of Atlantis. :P

amconway
August 21st, 2008, 10:42 AM
To repeat what I said in another thread (I could have paraphrased the whole thing, but I'm just going to repeat it. Forgive me for that. The tow truck guy is here to take my car to the garage for very expensive repairs, and it's rather long):

I wouldn't think of boycotting Scifi, although it's a moot point, since I live in Canada. I suppose I could boycott Space, which is our Scifi channel, so that they wouldn't give any money to Scifi, but I wouldn't.
I want Stargate Universe to succeed. I don't want the Stargate franchise to end.
I want Sanctuary to succeed. I want Amanda Tapping to do well.
And I love Eureka (boy, this week's episode was great!), another fine Canadian production.
To do otherwise would guarantee that I have nothing to watch on television. It would also mean I wanted a huge number of actors and film crews in Vancouver to be out of work. That's not what I want at all.
If I'd boycotted Scifi after the cancellation of SG-1, which was much more dear to my heart, it would have meant boycotting Stargate Atlantis. Would that have been a good idea? Most of the folks arguing for a boycott now wouldn't think so...

A_PophisandhisFran
August 21st, 2008, 10:53 AM
I like Atlantis alot and I think the 4th season, and the 5th so far, were fine, but Atlantis is over I'm not going to boycott Universe. The best you could do by boycotting it is getting it cancelled after one season and ending the franchise for good.

10 consecutive seasons for SG-1 is the most ever for a sci-fi show, and 5 certainly isn't bad either. I'm hoping for a good finale (I'm sure it will trump Unending) and a great two hour movie, and hopefully more movies to come.

do not freeze
August 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM
Boycotting Universe will only end the franchise forever. Bad idea imo since it still has a lot of potential.

Essex
August 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM
can't see the point in boycotting, they may stop making it after 2 and half seasons lol

Jackie
August 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM
nothing quiet like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Essex
August 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
nothing quiet like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

In my defence its math.

SG1 10 seasons
SGA 5 seasons
so if sci fi keeping going on like that it translates into 2.5 seasons ;)

Jumper_One
August 21st, 2008, 11:44 AM
In my defence its math.

SG1 10 seasons
SGA 5 seasons

true however SCI FI didn't cancel Atlantis, this is most likely MGM's fault

Essex
August 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM
true however SCI FI didn't cancel Atlantis, this is most likely MGM's fault

I'd say it's odds on favorite, that it was actually sci-fi that did it again tbh.

Jackie
August 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
In my defense its math.

SG1 10 seasons
SGA 5 seasons

sg-1 was initially canceled after season 6 by showtime. Skiffy then picked it up for 4 more seasons. Out of those 4 seasons...only two was designated to be SG-1. The last two seasons were nearly renamed as a spin off series called Stargate Command but skiffy rebuked the idea.

placing the record aside, if skiffy didn't pick up sg-1 and just started sga they would averaged nearly the same.

in reality we had:

sg-1...8 seasons
sgc....2 seasons
sga....5 seasons
SGU...?????

To be honest, unless sgu is better than it sounds I won't expect 2.5 seasons from it.

Essex
August 21st, 2008, 11:55 AM
sg-1 was initially canceled after season 6 by showtime. Skiffy then picked it up for 4 more seasons. Out of those 4 seasons...only two was designated to be SG-1. The last two seasons were nearly renamed as a spin off series called Stargate Command but skiffy rebuked the idea.

placing the record aside, if skiffy didn't pick up sg-1 and just started sga they would averaged nearly the same.

in reality we had:

sg-1...8 seasons
sgc....2 seasons
sga....5 seasons
SGU...?????

To be honest, unless sgu is better than it sounds I won't expect 2.5 seasons from it.

TBH I won't be watching it myself, after this latest cancellation I don't want to risk getting into a show thats only going to be pulled out. SGA is the only spin off show that I have loved from the beginning. Hell being the anti rodney I am, (and I'm gonna cringe to say it) I'm gonna miss that dingus.

Platschu
August 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
Universe is "innocent" and maybe it will be a fantastic SG series. So please, don't boycott it, because if Universe is axed too, than the whole franchise will be finished. :o

Jumper_One
August 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM
I'd say it's odds on favorite, that it was actually sci-fi that did it again tbh.

that would make no sense. the ratings and viewers improved and the stories have been better than ever. I'm pretty sure it was MGM's decision

While SCI FI has not yet announced a green light for that show, the end of Atlantis may clear the way -- the dollars available for original programming, that is -- for the next series.
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/08/istargate_atlantisi_will_end_thi.shtml

Pic
August 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Hmmm, no, don't think I'll boycott anything ... if it's Stargate, I'll probably watch it, regardless of the premise.

I don't think you can blame this all on SGU -- we're a victim of our own success ~ the movies did so well that MGM wants to make more movies.

Cheystar
August 21st, 2008, 01:54 PM
I'm not boycotting Universe or Sci-fi. I love Sci-fi stuff, and I'm looking forward to Amanda Tapping's new show too.

SG-1 may have got 10 yrs, but not 10 yrs on Sci-fi, the first 5 were on Showtime.

I really wanted another season of Atlantis, but it's not the end of it. And just maybe, with Universe, I'll find a new cast to love, as I didn't know hardly any of the cast of Atlantis when it started except for a couple, and I grew to love them. And hopefully, it will happen again with Universe.

Inferno D
August 21st, 2008, 01:57 PM
I would probably watch SGU even if it was bad if they didn't cancel SGA like this, but since they did, I'm definitely not watching if it doesn't live up to my expectations.

jenks
August 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM

Ha!

No.

miniglik
August 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM
I'm not boycotting. I'm just not interested.

Ikaros
August 21st, 2008, 02:40 PM

Ha!
Boycote sgu? I'LL BOYCOTE SCI FI CHANNEL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD...............
What on earth do they think of people when they say "support" sgu? what are we cattle ? already bought viewers?
If they cancel SGA to (as they did to Firefly), i just wont see anything that channel makes anymore, notever.

amconway
August 21st, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'm not boycotting. I'm just not interested.
How do you know? We know nothing about it except a vague early outline, and some rumors.

If they cancel SGA to (as they did to Firefly), i just wont see anything that channel makes anymore, notever.
Scifi had nothing to do with Firefly, although they may have showed it after the fact. Firefly was a Fox network show.

Reiko
August 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM
» Skiffy didn't cancel Firefly. That was FOX.

» I don't see what boycotting Universe is going to do. :S

Jumper_One
August 21st, 2008, 02:58 PM
Boycote sgu? I'LL BOYCOTE SCI FI CHANNEL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD...............
What on earth do they think of people when they say "support" sgu? what are we cattle ? already bought viewers?

SCI FI did NOT cancel Atlantis, this was MGM's decision ;)

Linda06
August 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
Well if they cancelled SGA to make way for SGU then i for one am not ever gonna watch it :mad:

VSS
August 21st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Hmmm, no, don't think I'll boycott anything ... if it's Stargate, I'll probably watch it, regardless of the premise.

I don't think you can blame this all on SGU -- we're a victim of our own success ~ the movies did so well that MGM wants to make more movies.

I think you are right. MGM just cut out the middleman.

Ikaros
August 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM
Show them that we where SGA atlantis and not some "cattle" like bunch of people that go after whatever they're throwing at us...
Most of the people i know(all of them really), where fans of SGA , not SG in general. It was the CITY OF ATLANTIS that was the main character of the show, not the damn GATES. They where just a mean to travel.....

Reiko
August 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Show them that we where SGA atlantis and not some "cattle" like bunch of people that go after whatever they're throwing at us...

» Well, SGA left after S3 when they started dishing a new show at us, and tons of people still followed along without question. So I'd say your 'cattle' theory is more true than you might think.

Jnk1986
August 21st, 2008, 03:05 PM
Why in earth would they cancel Atlantis and go for another show doomed to be the same? Unless they make some big changes in the new show(if it will EVER happen lol ) I dont see it doing better then Atlantis at all so they better save them ****in money for ATLANTIS WE DONT CARE ABOUT A NEW SHOW!!!!

Gonna take a couple of days to calm down. ****ing lamers , the one responsible for cancellation can die right now please, thank you.

Ikaros
August 21st, 2008, 03:13 PM
» Well, SGA left after S3 when they started dishing a new show at us, and tons of people still followed along without question. So I'd say your 'cattle' theory is more true than you might think.

Yet i think there where getting somewhere with season 4 (last half) and season 5. They lost their main female character(weir) and managed to make Teyla a joke of a character, but with Keller and the new female cast , i just had hopes.

Gelasius
August 21st, 2008, 03:14 PM
they could cancel some of their made for tv scifi movies they show every weekend, i mean sheesh those are bad, the cgi makes my eyes burn.

Gelasius

Ikaros
August 21st, 2008, 03:24 PM
Universe is "innocent" and maybe it will be a fantastic SG series. So please, don't boycott it, because if Universe is axed too, than the whole franchise will be finished. :o

So???? what are people to be guided like this? let it be axed, canceled i don't give a damn. Their problem, not mine.
My wishes and what i and many , many more people likes, didn't count to them.. making more money counts to them
I wont help them with that.They can watch it themselves while eating......
lemons

Reiko
August 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM
My wishes and what i and many , many more people likes, didn't count to them.. making more money counts to them

» It never has. We're just the lemmings that keep those behind a desk in a job.

» Funny, though, how many people that are saying what you said now told the Weir and Beckett fans the same thing back in S4.

Ikaros
August 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM
Don't misunderstant me, i don't stick to characters, i had the feeling though that they just needed a powerfull female character and they where messing around with the characters they had. Loosing one completely, destroying another, that wasn't that strong anyway, not managing to replace the losses.
Yet in general, the show was still amazing, thnx to the rest of the cast, thnx to real science, thnx to whatever.

Ikaros
August 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
And i know of course it's always about money. I just wished they where more smart and less greedy!! More interested in their work than their busines, after 12 years.

Vala_M
August 22nd, 2008, 08:45 AM

in reality we had:

sg-1...8 seasons
sgc....2 seasons
sga....5 seasons
SGU...?????

I don't consider seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to be a different show and I'm sure that nobody else would have if it wasn't for the writers mentioning that they considered renaming the show. Personally, I'm glad they didn't and if they did, SG-1 would NOT have had the 10 season record.

Vala,

Vala_M
August 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM

Channels don't buy shows from other channels anymore to make new episodes as the original channels/networks realize that the show will succeed and another channel could make money that the wouldn't because they're too cheap to spend the original start money to begin with.

Of course, it is still possible that they'll realize that universe was a mistake and cancel it and bring Atlantis back, a lot of shows have been brough back from cancelation after a few years but it's unlikely with scifi at the helm.

Vala,

Bray
August 22nd, 2008, 10:09 AM

Ha!

Wow, good first post....

You've won the award of most pointless idea ever! That includes the idea of a chocolate tea pot.

Amalthea
August 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
I'm not ready to call for a boycott... yet. I want to give it a chance, see some production photos, get some more information and you know, see an episode before I decide what to do with it. I am highly skeptical at this point, but, I love Stargate, so I will always give it a chance.

Major_Griff
August 22nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
No. I will be watching SGU. I have faith in BW and Coop and the rest of the writers, so I think the show will be good despite the disturbing news about aiming for a younger audience. (BTW I'm 19 so I guess I fall into that younger audience they want, but that still disturbs me.)

Vespasianus
August 22nd, 2008, 10:56 AM

Ha!
Okay, please, answer only one question of mine: let's say this 'campaign' of yours IS successful and many, many people start boycotting SGU. What if it'll turn out to be good and because of you, it'll get a swift cancel?

I hope you'd at least say 'sorry'.:)

Besides, if you are so hellbent on ruining the remaining franchise, then I suppose you know that you're endangering possible Atlantis movies as well. Things are intertwined.:P

any_gopher
August 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM

Ha!

Sorry, but that is just shameful. I hope fans like this won't clutter the boards and ruin an exciting moment for those who aren't freaking out.

Crazy Tom
August 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
When has petitioning ever worked?

Werejust going to have to deal with it, and if Universe ends up sucking, then their ratings will plumet and the fanchise (as well as their jobs) will be over.

brandnew
August 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
SGA over or not, it would be pratically the same for me even if I feel sad for those who liked the show so much. In respect I won't say all I think about that cancellation since they should have done done long time ago.

I guess we can expect a nice first season of Universe and then it will be crap all along (that I STILL watch, I have no idea why). Change the series, change the actors, it helps the creativity, it helps writing new stuffs, it helps going new places. It will be a first season without Replicators and beaming technology until season two when they the old habits will come back. And it will be really nice.

Even if I think the writers are anti-modern and won't be able to make the creative leap they want to do, they can still put a show which will be the same thing basically as SGA. They just should just jump for it and really try things out instead of making the same thing over again and labelling it "different" (come on, it's always the same thing).

Find good actors, a guy like RDA and have fun again, with the wit that characterized SG1 for many years. When they go to much Sci-fi anyway, they just lose it as SGA does, it's totally out of control storyline wise. It's going nowhere and it's ridiculous.

Detox
August 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Okay, please, answer only one question of mine: let's say this 'campaign' of yours IS successful and many, many people start boycotting SGU. What if it'll turn out to be good and because of you, it'll get a swift cancel?

I hope you'd at least say 'sorry'.:)

Besides, if you are so hellbent on ruining the remaining franchise, then I suppose you know that you're endangering possible Atlantis movies as well. Things are intertwined.:P

I think the one flaw with your argument, is that you assume Sci-Fi still cares about ratings and numbers.

SG-1, BSG and SGA all got great numbers for Sci-Fi, yet they still cancelled all 3 series (BSG didn't technically get cancelled, but let's face it, Sci-Fi was leaning hard towards it).

I think Mark Stern and all the other execs at Sci-Fi have just simply become bat**** crazy.

Ninth Cheveron
August 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Look I'm not happy about this young target audience BS. But y'all need to CHILL OUT. Sure it sounds bad, but our fears are all speculation. These people are trying to MAKE MONEY they have AUTHOR POWERS they do whatever they like. If you had some control over the way THIER story pans out your decisions would probably piss off your fans too. How'd You Like It if someone was telling you what to do for your job, yelling at you about your decisions? I think this is tetering on the edge, but in my gut I think they'll produce shows just as good as always. (Hopefully)

Detox
August 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Look I'm not happy about this young target audience BS. But y'all need to CHILL OUT. Sure it sounds bad, but our fears are all speculation. These people are trying to MAKE MONEY they have AUTHOR POWERS they do whatever they like. If you had some control over the way THIER story pans out your decisions would probably piss off your fans too. How'd You Like It if someone was telling you what to do for your job, yelling at you about your decisions? I think this is tetering on the edge, but in my gut I think they'll produce shows just as good as always. (Hopefully)

People aren't pissed off because they think Universe might turn out bad. People are pissed off cause they pushed off Atlantis to make room for Universe.

Atlantis gets great ratings, yet it still got cancelled. What's the point of watching shows live on Sci-Fi anymore, if they don't care about what we want to watch? What's going to stop people from just illegally downloading movies from the internet? They cancelled Atlantis and SG-1 regardless of numbers. If they don't care, why should we?

Ikaros
August 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Perfectly said.....
why sould people care if nobody cares for them?
People have sawn their love to the show. That's what they're getting back.....

Cryowolf
August 29th, 2008, 03:09 PM
The decision to cancel atlantis is done, it will continue in movies but nothing else. Stargate Universe is coming on to replace it, and I for one am thankful that Stargate will continue to provide me with my fill of sci-fi. Especially considering the lack of it otherwise!

I'm not gonna judge SGU one way or the other until I see it, and if people boycott it then you can be sure there will be no more SG1 or SGA movies either. In fact I would go as far as saying it will suffer the tragic fate of death.

I would rather garner support for Universe, and get more people to watch. See this as an opportunity to bring in MORE viewers to the Stargate universe (that pun worked out well...) rather than scaring em away. If more people watch, we will get more Stargate...Ergo...it's a good thing to get people to watch, and for us to watch.

SG-1, BSG and SGA all got great numbers for Sci-Fi, yet they still cancelled all 3 series (BSG didn't technically get cancelled, but let's face it, Sci-Fi was leaning hard towards it).

I think Mark Stern and all the other execs at Sci-Fi have just simply become bat**** crazy.

SG1 was declining, had gone on for 10 seasons and was costing too much to continue to produce. I think that a show lasting 10 seasons is pretty damn good and generous. Stargate Atlantis had lost some viewers, however it was stable. I don't share their decision but they wanted to start fresh, however weren't ready to give up the Stargate franchise; nor could they afford to run two series concurrently. So they made the decision to spin off a new series in the SG universe(another pun....)

As for Battlestar Galactica, they weren't leaning towards cancelling it. In fact they are really missing it already, and are trying to fill the gap by introducing new sci-fi shows and already conjuring up the BSG spin-off Caprica.

Do not blame the showrunners for this, it wasn't their fault that their show was cancelled. We watch the show that they produce, and we should all give Universe a chance.

Ikaros
August 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Nop we shouldn't!! they came to a crossroad where they had to choose. They chose SGU because they thought it was now or never maybe. They sacrificed SGA for SGU. No way i am givving a minute of my time to download it!!!!

Cryowolf
August 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Nop we shouldn't!! they came to a crossroad where they had to choose. They chose SGU because they thought it was now or never maybe. They sacrificed SGA for SGU. No way i am givving a minute of my time to download it!!!!

I hardly think downloading is gonna affect the ratings anyway :p

Ikaros
August 30th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I said that i wouldn't even download it in order to emphasize how i deslike the show(SGU).
Rattings haven't seeme to effect them enyways..... or awards...

Ikaros
August 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM
grrrrrrrrr
seem*
anyways*

Ikaros
August 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM
shoot me ... someone

the fifth man
August 30th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I know I won't be boycotting SGU. I loved SG-1. I loved SGA. And I am definitely willing to give Universe a fair shot. Am I expecting it to be as good as SG-1 and Atlantis? - not necessarily. But that doesn't mean it won't be.

Bray
August 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I said that i wouldn't even download it in order to emphasize how i deslike the show(SGU).
Rattings haven't seeme to effect them enyways..... or awards...

grrrrrrrrr
seem*
anyways*

shoot me ... someone

How about you just edit your post rather than spamming!

GateTrek2004
August 30th, 2008, 09:02 PM
It was hard to let SG-1 Go when it did after making the 10 season Milestone and 213 Episodes- (on IMDB as 213 total SG-1 episodes), and I was hesitant about Atlantis when it started and for the most part, Atlantis is a good show. Now that Atlantis is going after Reaching the 100 Episode Mark. its dissapointing to let them go. But I'm not about to boycott a show i've NEVER SEEN YET! I'll give it a season it see if i will like it. It being stargate, im hoping it will live up to my expetations.

Ikaros
September 1st, 2008, 01:53 PM
How about you just edit your post rather than spamming!

i didn't see it in time, but thnx for the ....bullet

Ikaros
September 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM
It was hard to let SG-1 Go when it did after making the 10 season Milestone and 213 Episodes- (on IMDB as 213 total SG-1 episodes), and I was hesitant about Atlantis when it started and for the most part, Atlantis is a good show. Now that Atlantis is going after Reaching the 100 Episode Mark. its dissapointing to let them go. But I'm not about to boycott a show i've NEVER SEEN YET! I'll give it a season it see if i will like it. It being stargate, im hoping it will live up to my expetations.

But the logic here is to boycott it as a protest. Not because it's going to be a bad show or anything. Nobody knows what it Will be.
Just if you feel that cancelling Atlantis was to much off a shame, to say the least, protest by not seeing SGU. Protest by not supporting the reason it was cancelled..

Artifysial
September 1st, 2008, 05:37 PM
I know my curiousity will dog me until I tune in even if I wanted to boycott it ! I think we need to give it a go but hopefully they will seriously consider the value of cross over stories with SGA and SG1 as the fans 'have spoken' about the impact of the loss of those programmes - I won't give up on those shows coming back - I just wont do it (stamps feet and sighs woefully).

AtlantisRules!!!
September 1st, 2008, 05:44 PM
Sure, their stopping Atlantis as a series. I think Movies are better anyway... the SG-1 movies were good, why wouldn't the Atlantis ones be?

brihana25
September 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
I can't stand the word "franchise," mostly because it makes me think of quality products being replaced by cheaply-made versions in the interest of spreading and making more money.

I loved (and still do love) SG1. I've watched a little SGA here and there, and I don't like it. I seriously doubt I'll be at all interested in the new one.

To me, it's just like McDonalds cheeseburgers. When they started, they were made by hand in one restaurant, and they were big. A few years down the line, they realized they could spread across the country by making them with a press in a factory. A few years after that, they realized they could make even more money by making them smaller, and replacing the meat with soybeans.

The result? Millions and millions of crappy hamburgers.

Which is my way of saying: I couldn't care less about the Stargate "franchise," and I feel absolutely no obligation to play any part in helping it spread. They gave me one great show, without a doubt, one really good movie and one not-half-bad one. They tried to give me another show I didn't particularly care for, and I've been made to feel an outcast for not partaking. I don't feel at all inclined to let them shove another one down my throat just so they can keep making money.

jeffsupersaiyan
September 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
just like to say idiot

hamatau'ri
September 2nd, 2008, 07:31 AM
This thread is, to put it quite frankly pathetic and plain idiotic. There's no point fighting fire with fire. And theyt say Don't judge a book by it's cover- that of which hasn't been opened yet? When it starts then you can make judgements. it's the attitude and recklessness that can get you working as a terrorist (not making any assumptions). Be content with what you have. Eventually you will see the path... (omit that bit, becoming a Prior just then). So, yeah. At least we've got a movie.

Ikaros
September 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Wrong !! you need fire to stop fire!!!!
You burn down a part of the forest to make the coming fire stop at the already burned ground.
They're treating people just like cattle or junkies. They are so sure of themselves.. aren't they? Whatever they give us we'll eat it...
They're making a new show to gain more money out of GREED. Ignoring the fans, ignoring the rattings, the awards, everything, even their own pride.
Content with what we have? What kind of an attitude is this? Do what with a movie? say good bye?
I choose not to open that book, because i know it's written only for money, only for the wrong reasons!!

Cryowolf
September 3rd, 2008, 11:09 PM
All TV-Shows are written for money and out of greed...
Also, condemning something before you see it is foolish at best.
If SGU doesn't do well, I'm positive the Stargate 'franchise' will end there.

MechaThor
September 4th, 2008, 04:14 AM
If you want to Boycott Universe go ahead but you are not a true Stargate fan if you do.

I understand a lot of people are mad that Atlantis is ending (including myself) But don't take that hate out on Universe. Its not Universe's fault that Atlantis has been canceled, it was Sci-Fi's. If you want to show your anger towards the cancellation of Atlantis but still want to show your love and support for the Stargate franchise and its makers then Watch Universe, but then don't watch any other show on Sci-Fi.

Personally I am looking forward to Universe , and have been since they first mentioned it well over a year ago. I think it will open up a great new set of fresh adventures and alien cultures into the Stargate Universe much like Atlantis did.

I will fully support Universe and the continuation of the Stargate franchise. And welcome Universe with open arms next summer.

Also whats the point in Boycotting Universe? Doing so will NOT bring back Atlantis. Wouldn't you rather have a new series of Stargate than none at all?

Infact I bet the same people who are planning to Boycott Universe because Atlantis "their Favorite show" has been canceled are the same people who constantly moan about how much they Hate Atlantis because of the Removable of Weir and the introduction of Kellar and Woolsey, and how they dislike the direction the show has taken with the replicators. Get over it!

brihana25
September 4th, 2008, 05:50 AM
If you want to Boycott Universe go ahead but you are not a true Stargate fan if you do.

That is so incredibly wrong (not to mention rude) it isn't even funny.

I am a "true" Stargate fan. I have been for almost 14 years.

What I am not is a Bridge or SciFi channel devotee. They don't want me to watch this show. They're not making it for me, but for my 14 year old son; I'm simply giving them what they want.

ETA: And I don't even like Atlantis, never have, so it has nothing to do with that.

jenks
September 4th, 2008, 05:53 AM

What I am not is a Bridge or SciFi channel devotee. They don't want me to watch this show. They're not making it for me, but for my 14 year old son; I'm simply giving them what they want.

ETA: And I don't even like Atlantis, never have, so it has nothing to do with that.

No they're not.

paulschapman
September 4th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Ha!

It is absurd in the extreme to boycott something when you have never seen it. You may actually damage the prospects for continued Stargate and Atlantis films if Universe bombs too much.

GateMan2000
September 4th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I think that the of boycotting it is totally stupid. Atlantis is now gone and will only be back in form of movies. I am mad that they cancelled it but boycotting another Stargate show is totally retarded and will not help the franchise as a whole. And anyone who has a wild fantasy of them bring back the show because 200 people signed some petition has rocks for brains!

Aewon
September 4th, 2008, 07:03 AM
But the logic here is to boycott it as a protest. Not because it's going to be a bad show or anything. Nobody knows what it Will be.
Just if you feel that cancelling Atlantis was to much off a shame, to say the least, protest by not seeing SGU. Protest by not supporting the reason it was cancelled..

How does causing the death of the entire franchise help?

You just contradicted yourself in that last sentence.

Cheystar
September 4th, 2008, 08:05 AM
All I can say, is that boycotting Universe will mean nothing at all unless you have a Nielsen box in your house. It won't make a tad of difference.

I'm not boycotting, I'm not cutting my nose off to spite my face. I love the Stargate franchise, and will continue to support it, and hopefully it will continue to bring us more and more movies in the future with all the casts of the shows intact instead of losing cast members one by one.

brihana25
September 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
You just contradicted yourself in that last sentence.

How exactly did I do that? I'm not going to watch Universe for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the cancellation of Atlantis. There's absolutely no contradiction there at all.

brihana25
September 4th, 2008, 09:26 AM
No they're not.

You might want to tell them that, because they seem to be under the impression that they are.

The team will be young - not younger, just young. They are designing it to attract young audience, and they've said as much publicly.

No matter how you slice it, that does not include me.

jenks
September 4th, 2008, 09:42 AM
You might want to tell them that, because they seem to be under the impression that they are.

The team will be young - not younger, just young. They are designing it to attract young audience, and they've said as much publicly.

No matter how you slice it, that does not include me.

No, they said younger audience, not young. And considering the average age of a Stargate viewer is apparently 47, it's hardly cause for concern. The sort of audience age they're aiming for is the same sort of one that Lost and Heroes attracts, a 'mainstream' one, it's not going to be a teen show, a bit of common sense would tell you that.

*edit*

I'm not even sure they said they wanted a younger audience, what they did say is that they want to introduce younger people to the show, that's all as far as I can tell.

brihana25
September 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM
No, they said younger audience, not young. And considering the average age of a Stargate viewer is apparently 47, it's hardly cause for concern. The sort of audience age they're aiming for is the same sort of one that Lost and Heroes attracts, a 'mainstream' one, it's not going to be a teen show, a bit of common sense would tell you that.

*edit*

I'm not even sure they said they wanted a younger audience, what they did say is that they want to introduce younger people to the show, that's all as far as I can tell.

This is Dave Howe, president of SciFi:

Howe said the new series will reinvigorate the franchise by targeting a younger audience.

“This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation,” Howe said. “We really don’t want to be more of the same. It’s going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe.”

BW and RCC say:

“In ‘Universe,’ we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home."

Yes, Howe did say younger, but he also said he wants to reinvent it for a new generation (read: not mine).

BW and RCC flat-out say that the cast is young (read: no one I'd probably be interested in watching).

By their own words, I'm not good enough for them any more. Howe says they're not expanding the existing "franchise," but starting from it and changing everything. And on top of that, they don't seem to have any idea what it was that has really made this "franchise" a success in the first place. (Hint: it's not blowing stuff up and having a cast of morons.)

If they don't want my viewership (or my money, which is more abundant than your average 16 year old's), then I see no reason why I should give it to them.

Ikaros
September 4th, 2008, 11:56 AM
All TV-Shows are written for money and out of greed...
For money i can agree .. for greed i don't. Not everything is made out of greed. greed is a sickness.

Also, condemning something before you see it is foolish at best.

Not if you contemn it because you wanna protest. It isn't a matter of liking it or not. I don't give a damn anymore about stargate....

If SGU doesn't do well, I'm positive the Stargate 'franchise' will end there.
Like i said... i don't give a damn.. i am not a follower or a marked cow...
I was Atlantis's fan but it seems they never got over sg1. Atlantis was for them just a way to keep their franchise alive. They never loved the show as much as their audiences.

jenks
September 4th, 2008, 12:37 PM
This is Dave Howe, president of SciFi:

Howe said the new series will reinvigorate the franchise by targeting a younger audience.

“This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation,” Howe said. “We really don’t want to be more of the same. It’s going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe.”

BW and RCC say:

“In ‘Universe,’ we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home."

Yes, Howe did say younger, but he also said he wants to reinvent it for a new generation (read: not mine).

BW and RCC flat-out say that the cast is young (read: no one I'd probably be interested in watching).

By their own words, I'm not good enough for them any more. Howe says they're not expanding the existing "franchise," but starting from it and changing everything. And on top of that, they don't seem to have any idea what it was that has really made this "franchise" a success in the first place. (Hint: it's not blowing stuff up and having a cast of morons.)

If they don't want my viewership (or my money, which is more abundant than your average 16 year old's), then I see no reason why I should give it to them.

You either can't read, or you have a vivid imagination. One last time: Stargate has an old audience, aiming for a younger one doesn't mean they're aiming for a young one, in fact they've said themselves they want a more mainstream audience, this means targeting people in their 20's and 30's where the money's at. Now if you feel those sorts of shows aren't adult enough for you then fine, but can you please stop with this teen ********? They're not aiming it at teens, they've never said they are, in fact everything they've said suggests otherwise.

brihana25
September 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM
You either can't read, or you have a vivid imagination.

May God forgive me for stating my opinion. Won't happen again; so sorry to step on your toes.

any_gopher
September 4th, 2008, 06:41 PM
May God forgive me for stating my opinion. Won't happen again; so sorry to step on your toes.

Holy crap, are you kidding me? There are opinions and then there are facts, and it is a fact that you are reading more into Mark Stern's words than can be read. This is all just semantics until we know exactly how they're going to go about it.

Yes, they said younger. But they never said they'd abandon the old audience, just EXPAND into a larger demographic.

Freaking DRAMA! When will it end?!

scifinut007
September 4th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I am on board with the boycott

I will not watch Universe.

The only way MGM can get me to try it out is if they bring Atlantis back for a couple more seasons, and air it right after Atlantis.

If Atlantis does not return for a couple more seasons, I will NEVER WATCH OR BUY ANYTHING RELATED TO STARGATE AGAIN!

Why should I, as in a year or two they will just end that show too!

scifinut007
September 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM

The producers have said they ended Atlantis on a high note, it was doing quit well.

They cancelled Atlantis, and the very next day announced Universe, yea they cancelled Atlantis to make room for universe!

They will continue to take advantage of the viewers if the viewers let them.

If universe flops, then we have NO Gate on tv.

Pharaoh Atem
September 5th, 2008, 04:35 AM
it would take a monumental reason for me to boycott any show

sga as a tv series is dead folks we have accept it

Major_Griff
September 5th, 2008, 07:45 AM

You say you're going to boycott and then give the single greatest reason not to boycott.

SGAtlantisP60
September 5th, 2008, 08:25 AM
i think we should i mean i love stargate atlantis.... its one of my favoirte scifi shows of all time and i think we should save it

jenks
September 5th, 2008, 08:34 AM
i think we should i mean i love stargate atlantis.... its one of my favoirte scifi shows of all time and i think we should save it

Boycotting Universe won't bring Atlantis back, all it will do is leave Sci Fi with less faith in the Stargate franchise, and less likely to want more. The only way I see Atlantis coming back is if the movie(s) do really well on Sci Fi, and even then we'd probably only get a mini-series...

GhostPoet
September 5th, 2008, 10:40 AM

*edit*

What I read from all the comments they've made about their new show is that I believe we can expect a bit more action and more character interaction, which isn't a bad thing to me.

Pharaoh Atem
September 5th, 2008, 10:41 AM

there will still be reruns

Ikaros
September 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Holy crap, are you kidding me? There are opinions and then there are facts, and it is a fact that you are reading more into Mark Stern's words than can be read. This is all just semantics until we know exactly how they're going to go about it.

Yes, they said younger. But they never said they'd abandon the old audience, just EXPAND into a larger demographic.

The drama is that they gave away these information, about younger audiences(as if Atlantis is watched by 40+) and about the kind of audience they want(the soap opera lovers, the ones that liked BSG BLIAAAAAAH).
It's their words, not people's words.
Rememper that you can't have it both ways... sci fi audiences and soap opera to.
It's like leaving your wife for a playboy bunny girl. She might be pretty or even prettier, but still, not a real woman.
And don't expect understanding...

Ikaros
September 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Boycotting Universe won't bring Atlantis back, all it will do is leave Sci Fi with less faith in the Stargate franchise, and less likely to want more. The only way I see Atlantis coming back is if the movie(s) do really well on Sci Fi, and even then we'd probably only get a mini-series...

I am sick and tired of that word.." franchise"
Who cares about their franchise????????????
Why should we care about their franchise?
What kind of attitude is this? Has anybody bought our time and takes us for granded?
And sci fi's faith in the stargate franchise is crearly protested.
All they care is money. Not as a mean to keep them running the channel and produce even more things etc, but as a mean of just make money. As if they're making shoe's or something....

Ikaros
September 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM
What I read from all the comments they've made about their new show is that I believe we can expect a bit more action and more character interaction, which isn't a bad thing to me.

It has been said by Sci fi's boss that they wanted to please the BSG fans as well, since their show is stopping.
Now you tell me what on earth has BSG to do with Stargate?
And how should people watching Stargate for 12 years should feel about it?
Especially Atlantis fans like me? How should we feel about having our favourite show canceled so they can keep another shows fans pleased?

jenks
September 5th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I am sick and tired of that word.." franchise"
Who cares about their franchise????????????
Why should we care about their franchise?

Well you should, because you're never going to get any more Atlantis if Sci Fi isn't interested in the Stargate franchise anymore.

What kind of attitude is this? Has anybody bought our time and takes us for granded?

No one's taking any body for granted, you can either watch what they're making or not. Stargate is made for anybody and everybody, not just the so-called 'fans'.

And sci fi's faith in the stargate franchise is crearly protested.

What?

All they care is money. Not as a mean to keep them running the channel and produce even more things etc, but as a mean of just make money. As if they're making shoe's or something....

Of course they do, they're a business, the Sci Fi channel exists to make money.

It has been said by Sci fi's boss that they wanted to please the BSG fans as well, since their show is stopping.

No it hasn't.

Now you tell me what on earth has BSG to do with Stargate?

Nothing

And how should people watching Stargate for 12 years should feel about it?
Especially Atlantis fans like me? How should we feel about having our favourite show canceled so they can keep another shows fans pleased?

You can feel however you like, the decision has nothing to do with you. Stargate is a luxury, not a right, it's not something you're entitled to, it's a product that MGM sells, and it's up to them if they want to keep producing it.

Cryowolf
September 5th, 2008, 04:10 PM
You can feel however you like, the decision has nothing to do with you. Stargate is a luxury, not a right, it's not something you're entitled to, it's a product that MGM sells, and it's up to them if they want to keep producing it.

This actually reminds me of The Simpsons..

Comic Book Guy: Last night's "Itchy & Scratchy" was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?

Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.

Bart: What? They're giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? If anything, you owe them.

Comic Book Guy: [pauses] Worst episode ever.

--------------------

In other words, they don't really owe us anything but it is in their best interest to keep viewers tuned in and not alienate their old fanbase. Because what they ultimately want is for us to watch it so they can make more money, and who knows...Maybe SGU will keep all that is good about SGA and then add some more?

Ackeb
September 5th, 2008, 07:50 PM
They cancelled Atlantis, and the very next day announced Universe, yea they cancelled Atlantis to make room for universe!

Firstly I belive it was made abundantly clear that Atlantis would be ended when Stargate Universe was ready to be pursued.

They will continue to take advantage of the viewers if the viewers let them.

In which way have they taken advantage of viewers??? Merely saying that is absurd.

Then maybe you should not boycott it and give the show a chance.

I am honestly suprised by the childish way in which some people are reacting to the cancellation of SGA and announcement of SGU. I understand and sympathise with those that were and only were fans of SGA and have no other intrest in Stargate, but those people who complain and complain about the cancellation and talk of a boycott on the mere grounds of SGA's cancellation astound me. Are some of you really that naive? Stargate is and alwasy has been a bussines. Yes pleasing the fans is necessary but their first and foremost goal is to make money, and if they can broaden the current fan base by capturing new demographics with a new show then by all means do it. I in no way am degrading peoples choice to boycott SGU just the motives and reasons behind such a boycott.

janiecat
September 5th, 2008, 10:39 PM
...You can feel however you like, the decision has nothing to do with you. Stargate is a luxury, not a right, it's not something you're entitled to, it's a product that MGM sells, and it's up to them if they want to keep producing it.

Yeah, I guess you could say movies are a luxury, or books, or magazines or any of those other things we might spend our disposable income and time on. And we have the right to turn to other means of entertainmnet if we are dissastified with the way a company is treating us as consumers. We express our displeasure by shopping, or spending our leisure time elsewhere.

You're forgetting the critical, second part of your precious equation. Yes, it is up to them if they want to keep producing it. But, they can't produce their new show and air in a vacuum. If there are no viewers to watch their show, and thus no advertisers to buy ads, there will be no product to sell. You are completely discounting the power of the consumer. And it can be pretty powerful if enough people band together for a common cause. It's been done before. It's called supply and demand.

Now personally, I could give a rat's behind about Universe, or Atlantis. I just found your argument incredibly naive and somewhat short-sighted. People do have a right to express their displeasure in response to corporate decisions. If there aren't enough protests to matter, why do you care? But protest is their right.

jenks
September 6th, 2008, 03:19 AM
You're forgetting the critical, second part of your precious equation. Yes, it is up to them if they want to keep producing it. But, they can't produce their new show and air in a vacuum. If there are no viewers to watch their show, and thus no advertisers to buy ads, there will be no product to sell. You are completely discounting the power of the consumer. And it can be pretty powerful if enough people band together for a common cause. It's been done before. It's called supply and demand.

And you're critical mistake is to confuse the fans™ with the consumers. The fans are consumers, but they make up a small proportion of them, even if every Stargate fan boycotted Universe, you can bet there would still be an audience for it. Like I've said a million times, the show is made for everyone, it's not just made for fans, yet for whatever reason, Stargate fans in particular think they should have a say in how the show is run, they can't seem to understand that the show isn't just made for them, it's made for any and all the Stargate consumers out there.

Now personally, I could give a rat's behind about Universe, or Atlantis. I just found your argument incredibly naive and somewhat short-sighted. People do have a right to express their displeasure in response to corporate decisions. If there aren't enough protests to matter, why do you care? But protest is their right.

At what point did I say people shouldn't protest? People can complain all they want, it's when they start acting like the cancelation of Atlantis is some great personal wrong that's been inflicted up them by TPTB that this starts getting ridiculous. Nothing has been taken away from anybody, no one has lost anything, they just haven't gained anything.

Ackeb
September 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM
At what point did I say people shouldn't protest? People can complain all they want, it's when they start acting like the cancelation of Atlantis is some great personal wrong that's been inflicted up them by TPTB that this starts getting ridiculous. Nothing has been taken away from anybody, no one has lost anything, they just haven't gained anything.

Very well put, and much agreed.

Mathieas
September 6th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I intend to give it a shot, but if it stinks I won't continue to watch it just because it has Stargate in the tile.

Rosehawk
September 6th, 2008, 11:17 AM

It is not a fact that more is being read into Mark Stern's words since none of us truely know Mark Stern's full intent other that to get the fanbase talking. It will only be a fact once the promotions start and you can see where and how they are really targeting the audience that they want.

It's not drama and if you are in that older age group that had to read what Mark Sterns said and being loyal fans for so long of the franchise, you can't help but feel let down and upset. There are ways to target younger audiences while still keeping the older crowd around, yet that is not the impression I got when reading what Mark Stern said. They are targeting a younger audience, plain and simple, we just don't know how young until the promotions come out.

I won't necessarily boycott Universe but I am totally okay waiting for it to hit syndication to watch.

janiecat
September 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM
And you're critical mistake is to confuse the fans™ with the consumers. The fans are consumers,...

Ummm, which is it? You can't have it both ways. Either the fans are consumers, or they're not. Make up your mind. But I’ll try and follow the (il)logic of your argument… if the Fans™ make up a large enough percentage of consumers to make an impact on viewer ship numbers, it'll make an impression on TPTB who create the product. So? I believe that was the whole point of my argument

but they make up a small proportion of them, even if every Stargate fan boycotted Universe, you can bet there would still be an audience for it. Like I've said a million times, the show is made for everyone, it's not just made for fans, yet for whatever reason, Stargate fans in particular think they should have a say in how the show is run, they can't seem to understand that the show isn't just made for them, it's made for any and all the Stargate consumers out there.

LOL! I'm wiping the tears from eyes. The very name of the show is (now repeat after me): Stargate: Universe! I should hope TPTB are targeting the Stargate fans with that title. Or else, why not call it oh, I don't know, 'TeenAgers is Space' or something. They are targeting a specifice audience with that very title. So, I would argue if every Stargate fan (ie: consumer) boycotted Universe, as you so succintly posited above, the show would probably last about three episodes. And, as you just stated above, Fans™ are also consumers. Oh, but your last sentence just stated that new show will be made for all the Stargate consumers out there. Forgive me, my head is still spinning...

Oh, and the new show better be made for Fans™ as well as for the elusive ‘everyone’ you keep referring to. And how do you know the Fans™ make up such a small percentage of overall consumers? They could just as easily be an accurate representative sample of the larger overall 'consumer' base. You and I don’t know any differently. Or, you must be very rich then? Is your crystal ball always that accurate? I'm sure your stock market predictions are just as bang-on and accurate

No, what I said is, why do you care so much? And of course they’ve lost something. They've lost a show they love. Good lord, insensitive much?

timtheomniscient
September 6th, 2008, 12:21 PM
dont be stupid. you ahvent even seen the pilot. im a fan of the whole sg franchise(baring infinity) but im giving this a chance. at least the writers had an idea that this would be the last season unlike sg1. but i dont want tptb to get complacent in dvd movies. they need to grab a bigger audience so they can get a cinema film out. universe might help with this

Ikaros
September 6th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Well you should, because you're never going to get any more Atlantis if Sci Fi isn't interested in the Stargate franchise anymore.

I am not getting any anyway.The audiences only way to express their wishes for a show is rattings and nobody cared about the rattings and the awards this show got..

No one's taking any body for granted, you can either watch what they're making or not. Stargate is made for anybody and everybody, not just the so-called 'fans'.

Yes they are , when they ignore their viewers. Of course it's my right not to watch if i don't want to,as it's my right not to give a chance to SGU , just because i am pissed.

What?

bad english ...again ;/

Of course they do, they're a business, the Sci Fi channel exists to make money.

And i thought the where making art to....sory.

No it hasn't.

YOU think...

Nothing

exactly

I am one among thousands.. i thought they cared about "how many" people where watching their shows.
Shows ... and not luxuries, it's not like i was getting an oriental massage every friday night.
I thought i was entitled to say my opinion in here.Or do i have to agree with you in order to do so?
Of course MGM sells it,and i bought it untill now. Since their "aftersales" service sucks though, i wont buy a damn thing from them anymore..

Lt.Pianot
September 6th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I don't think many of you have thought about the Star Trek effect.

I can see the producers not wanting to repeat what Happened to Star Trek.

Star trek literally had two series and a film series all going at the same time... It was over kill and that what killed star trek off.

We had a few years of over lapping with SG1 and Atlantis, which was great..
but The producers had a idea for a third series, so some thing had to change.

The end of SG1 in episode form, which allowed SGA to continue, two DVD SG1 movies were made.

Now SGA is coming to a end, which allows a third series to be produced, while both SG1 and SGA go to a series of movies.

What would you prefer saturation of stargate, and die after a few years, or a slow continuation of the Stargate Franchise.

WE get a new Series may be it will run for a few seasons, then the producers will finally come back to our galaxy and make what I would like to see Stargate Command or some thing like that, which know longer is set on earth but on a Alpa or beta site.

then while the series is slowly moving along, then we get two to three Movies a year, of SGA SG1, and may be a crossover movie of the two.

I am a huge Stargate fan, I want to see this last for many years, .

stargater1990
September 6th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Ha!

one small problem with your plan, if everyone else is as addicted to stargate as i am theres only 1 thing that will keep me from the tv on the day of the premier and thats the world blowing up....... my name is stargater1990 and im a stargataholic, and im proud of it:D

Ikaros
September 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM
As if they don't know already? If you know of any way , go to the save atlantis thread and throw it in.

Ackeb
September 6th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Wow enough of the constant grumbling over the end of SGA. It was made completly obvious SGA was going to go when they wanted to start SGU. I cant understand why some people appear to be taken so off guard and have become so offended.

luvmac
September 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Wow enough of the constant grumbling over the end of SGA. It was made completly obvious SGA was going to go when they wanted to start SGU. I cant understand why some people appear to be taken so off guard and have become so offended.

People are grumbling and complaining over the end of SGA because it's a show they love and for quite a few it's their favorite show. Beside Heroes it's the only show that I watch on television outside of sports and as of January it's gone. Right now it is my favorite show and knowing that it's ending (and to me it appears it's ending to make room for another show that I have no interst in) is extremely disappointing.

From reading your previous posts it appears to me that you are viewing things as a Stargate franchise fan and that's fine. As long as it's Stargate you are interested or potentially interested in it as part of the franchise. I'm not a Stargate fan. I don't watch Atlantis because I watched SG-1 (even though I did for the first four years). I watch it because I absolutely love the characters and the show of Atlantis itself. I don't give a rats behind about SGU nor will I watch it. I'm not boycotting the show but I'm not even the slightest bit intersted and therefore won't watch it. If it ends the Stargate franchise I will hate it for the many fans that love Stargate because no doubt they will probably feel as disappoint to learn that Stargate is over as much as I feel that Atlantis is ending now.

Ackeb
September 6th, 2008, 10:23 PM
People are grumbling and complaining over the end of SGA because it's a show they love and for quite a few it's their favorite show. Beside Heroes it's the only show that I watch on television outside of sports and as of January it's gone. Right now it is my favorite show and knowing that it's ending (and to me it appears it's ending to make room for another show that I have no interst in) is extremely disappointing.

From reading your previous posts it appears to me that you are viewing things as a Stargate franchise fan and that's fine. As long as it's Stargate you are interested or potentially interested in it as part of the franchise. I'm not a Stargate fan. I don't watch Atlantis because I watched SG-1 (even though I did for the first four years). I watch it because I absolutely love the characters and the show of Atlantis itself. I don't give a rats behind about SGU nor will I watch it. I'm not boycotting the show but I'm not even the slightest bit intersted and therefore won't watch it. If it ends the Stargate franchise I will hate it for the many fans that love Stargate because no doubt they will probably feel as disappoint to learn that Stargate is over as much as I feel that Atlantis is ending now.

I understand and sympathize with what your saying, but it was said that SGA would end at some point to make room for SGU, although it was not made clear when this would occur it was sure to happen at some point. Fan of the Stargate franchise or SGA alone I dont think there should be any "grumbling", it was made perfectly clear what was going to become of the show and should not be taken as harshly as some people are taking it ( not necessarily you).

Angela V
September 6th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I'll give SGU a chance but if it sucks, I'm not watching it.

Just wish we could still have seasons of SGA. I will HAVE to buy the movies on DVD being in Canada. Even if Space airs it, I can't afford to add Space to my cable (though I'd love to have Space).

Ackeb
September 6th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I'll give SGU a chance but if it sucks, I'm not watching it.

Just wish we could still have seasons of SGA. I will HAVE to buy the movies on DVD being in Canada. Even if Space airs it, I can't afford to add Space to my cable (though I'd love to have Space).

Also in good ol Canada and I highly doubt space will air it. I am pretty sure they only just started airing season 2 possibly season 3.

jenks
September 7th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Ummm, which is it? You can't have it both ways. Either the fans are consumers, or they're not. Make up your mind. But I’ll try and follow the (il)logic of your argument…

Now that was just sad, cutting the quote short to take my post out of context and make it look like a contradiction? Pathetic. Luckily anyone on the forum should have enough brains to be able to nothing the difference between the words 'the' and 'are'.

if the Fans™ make up a large enough percentage of consumers to make an impact on viewer ship numbers, it'll make an impression on TPTB who create the product. So? I believe that was the whole point of my argument

The show hasn't even started yet, how can they or we for that matter have any idea who the consumer will be?

LOL! I'm wiping the tears from eyes. The very name of the show is (now repeat after me): Stargate: Universe! I should hope TPTB are targeting the Stargate fans with that title. Or else, why not call it oh, I don't know, 'TeenAgers is Space' or something. They are targeting a specifice audience with that very title.

They're using the Stargate name for two reasons, because it's an obvious continuation of the franchise, and because of it's selling power.

So, I would argue if every Stargate fan (ie: consumer) boycotted Universe, as you so succintly posited above, the show would probably last about three episodes. And, as you just stated above, Fans™ are also consumers. Oh, but your last sentence just stated that new show will be made for all the Stargate consumers out there. Forgive me, my head is still spinning...

LOL are you serious? If that were true then no show that didn't have an existing fan base would ever get off the ground!

Oh, and the new show better be made for Fans™ as well as for the elusive ‘everyone’ you keep referring to. And how do you know the Fans™ make up such a small percentage of overall consumers? They could just as easily be an accurate representative sample of the larger overall 'consumer' base. You and I don’t know any differently. Or, you must be very rich then? Is your crystal ball always that accurate? I'm sure your stock market predictions are just as bang-on and accurate

Common sense. Just look at the movie sales and then Atlantis' viewing figures.

No, what I said is, why do you care so much? And of course they’ve lost something. They've lost a show they love. Good lord, insensitive much?

No they haven't. It was never theirs in the first place.

jenks
September 7th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I am not getting any anyway.The audiences only way to express their wishes for a show is rattings and nobody cared about the rattings and the awards this show got..

Uh, an Atlantis movie has already been green-lighted and more will be on the way if the first one does well.

Yes they are , when they ignore their viewers. Of course it's my right not to watch if i don't want to,as it's my right not to give a chance to SGU , just because i am pissed.

That's not the same thing.

I am one among thousands.. i thought they cared about "how many" people where watching their shows.

What they care about is how much money they're making. If they think they can make more money by creating a new show then that's what they're going to do, and as they're a business, I don't see how anyone can really hold it against them.

Shows ... and not luxuries, it's not like i was getting an oriental massage every friday night.
I thought i was entitled to say my opinion in here.Or do i have to agree with you in order to do so?
Of course MGM sells it,and i bought it untill now. Since their "aftersales" service sucks though, i wont buy a damn thing from them anymore..

You are, but the tricky thing about freedom of speech is that if you can voice your opinion, then so can I. It just seems strange to me that someone who is so determined to not watch the show or have anything to do with it would bother posting in a forum dedicated to it at all...

sgt niallr
September 7th, 2008, 02:15 AM
You would boycott your only source of Stargate in the form of a series, for a show which was slowly dying? :sholva:
Also I don't see the big problem with a 'younger audience' will it make much of a difference? I love all things stargate (bar the original movie and Stargate Infinity)
and I'm 13, I understand TPTB making channges to accomodate a wider audience but it can't make that much of a diifference.

Arica15
September 7th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Personally I won't be watching it because SGA was canned, I won't be watching it because from what's been released about it it sounds complete and utter tosh, a concept that sounds as if it's the love-child of Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek Voyager and a return to 'alien of the week'. And as to the younger audience twaddle.....mmm not sure the world is ready for Stargate:Babies

Now if I hear more about it that makes it sound interesting then I'll give it a shot, but if my opinion stays the same as at present then no chance.

MechaThor
September 7th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Personally I won't be watching it because SGA was canned, I won't be watching it because from what's been released about it it sounds complete and utter tosh, a concept that sounds as if it's the love-child of Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek Voyager and a return to 'alien of the week'. And as to the younger audience twaddle.....mmm not sure the world is ready for Stargate:Babies

Now if I hear more about it that makes it sound interesting then I'll give it a shot, but if my opinion stays the same as at present then no chance.

The "Alien of the Week" concept is what will make this Stargate Series so good and different from past Stargate. As Stargate as very little in the way of alien life its ridiculous.

The Universe concept reminds of of Farscape. Which is one of the best Sci-Fi's around. Much better than both Star Trek and Battlestar. Also Dr Who also follows the "Alien of the Week" idea to much success.

Personally I can't wait for Universe and will NOT be Boycotting it. And as a long standing Stargate fan will welcome it and any other future Stargate series with open arms.

TrustMeIamADoctor
September 7th, 2008, 09:08 AM
From what has been released about SGU, it sounds like a mix between Stargate and BSG for whatever reasons. That concept doesn't really excites me.
I have been an Atlantis fan for a couple of years, i actually watched SG1 after i watched Atlantis and i found that SGA was propably the best sci fi i ever watched.
As i see it they didn't decide based on the show's rattings etc., or the show's quality, they decided based on a plan about what could bring more money to them.
I find this, as an SGA fan, quite irritating. Of course it's their right to make money, but at least they could give a thought about their fans, who have been supporting them for 12 years most of them.
It is, imo, quite disrespectfull to treat them like that, especially for the reasons they let us know that they're doing it.
Based on this and to their sayings about SGU i won't give any of my time to watch it, or my money to buy it afterwards.
I am really sad about it. I thought this show could go on for years.

janiecat
September 7th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Now that was just sad, cutting the quote short to take my post out of context and make it look like a contradiction? Pathetic. Luckily anyone on the forum should have enough brains to be able to nothing the difference between the words 'the' and 'are'.

The show hasn't even started yet, how can they or we for that matter have any idea who the consumer will be?

They're using the Stargate name for two reasons, because it's an obvious continuation of the franchise, and because of it's selling power.

LOL are you serious? If that were true then no show that didn't have an existing fan base would ever get off the ground!

Common sense. Just look at the movie sales and then Atlantis' viewing figures.

No they haven't. It was never theirs in the first place.

LOL! Thank you, Thank you! You just made my argument for me and didn't even realize it! Seriously, read your own post again. You say they're using the Stargate name to continue the franchise and to capitalize on it's selling power. Well, who, besides the fans, are going to be interested in a Stargate product? And I suspect, as the show is being shown exclusively on the SciFi channel it will be targeted at oh, probably, SciFi fans and, more narrowly, Stargate fans. Just like when they created Atlantis, they went after the SG-1 fans by using existing characters from the franchise to lure them over.

And to expect that entirely new shows, with entirely new ideas need an existing fan base is a specious argument. New shows go after everyone in the maketplace as a potential audience. A franchise show (which you pointed out above already uses it's existing fanbase as an audience) has narrowed it's focus by it's very title and subject matter. I know I'm using big ideas and even bigger words, but try and keep up...

But, getting back to my original points, which you have so thoughtfully reinforced for me in you spendid arguments...

Fans are consumers. (Which you yourself have conceded in a previous post. Look it up.) Fact. If there are enough of them to impact viewership it will make a difference; if there aren't it won't. Fact. That was, and has always been the point of my argument. You keep talking over, under and around this simple idea.

Going back to my initial question, why do you care so much? Is this a personal affront to you somehow? They have every right to boycott, or protest, or whatever. They are within their rights to express their displeasure.

And yes, they have lost something. Everything out in the public airwaves is for public consumption. When you take it away, it is a loss for the consumer. What is so hard to understand about this basic concept.

Bored now. Going to go play with the grown-ups.

jenks
September 7th, 2008, 01:01 PM
LOL! Thank you, Thank you! You just made my argument for me and didn't even realize it! Seriously, read your own post again. You say they're using the Stargate name to continue the franchise and to capitalize on it's selling power. Well, who, besides the fans, are going to be interested in a Stargate product? And I suspect, as the show is being shown exclusively on the SciFi channel it will be targeted at oh, probably, SciFi fans and, more narrowly, Stargate fans. Just like when they created Atlantis, they went after the SG-1 fans by using existing characters from the franchise to lure them over.

Doesn't work like that. The Terminator name has massive selling power, do you think that's because it has a massive built in fan base? Of course not, it's because the Terminator name alone will attract people just because it's so well known, not to mention all the extra publicity the name will gain it, thus exposing it to more people.

And to expect that entirely new shows, with entirely new ideas need an existing fan base is a specious argument. New shows go after everyone in the maketplace as a potential audience. A franchise show (which you pointed out above already uses it's existing fanbase as an audience) has narrowed it's focus by it's very title and subject matter. I know I'm using big ideas and even bigger words, but try and keep up...

Which is exactly what this show will be doing, haven't you read the statement from Sci Fi? They spell it out for you, it's not difficult to spot.

But, getting back to my original points, which you have so thoughtfully reinforced for me in you spendid arguments...
Fans are consumers. (Which you yourself have conceded in a previous post. Look it up.) Fact. If there are enough of them to impact viewership it will make a difference; if there aren't it won't. Fact. That was, and has always been the point of my argument. You keep talking over, under and around this simple idea.

Here you go again highlighting the fact that you haven't been paying attention. No one said the existing Stargate fans aren't consumers, what I said was they not THE consumers. Of course they're customers of the product, but they're not the only ones, not by a long shot.

Going back to my initial question, why do you care so much? Is this a personal affront to you somehow? They have every right to boycott, or protest, or whatever. They are within their rights to express their displeasure.

And I'm well within my right to express how retarded I think their reasoning is, is that OK? Why do YOU care so much that I'm doing so?

And yes, they have lost something. Everything out in the public airwaves is for public consumption. When you take it away, it is a loss for the consumer. What is so hard to understand about this basic concept.

You're confused. We've been given 5 seasons of Atlantis, we haven't been given a 6th, nothing has been taken away, it's just that nothing additional have been given.

Bored now. Going to go play with the grown-ups.

Great, perhaps you'll start acting like one. These sly childish insults you keep leaving in your posts are very telling you know.

luvmac
September 7th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I understand and sympathize with what your saying, but it was said that SGA would end at some point to make room for SGU, although it was not made clear when this would occur it was sure to happen at some point. Fan of the Stargate franchise or SGA alone I dont think there should be any "grumbling", it was made perfectly clear what was going to become of the show and should not be taken as harshly as some people are taking it ( not necessarily you).

Just because you know that something's coming doesn't necessarily make it an "easier pill for you to take" once it happens. When most people think of fans of anything (sports, movies, tv, etc.) you think of people that are passionate about that thing. When you are passionate about something you can become deeply invested in it. Just look at the reactions of sports fans when their team either wins or loses games. Quite a few people were hurt by the fact that a show that they had become invested in has been cancelled and they are reacting. They are venting their frustrations. If they are unhappy about a situation why shouldn't they "grumble" about it and make their displeasure known?

Rosehawk
September 7th, 2008, 01:57 PM
You would boycott your only source of Stargate in the form of a series, for a show which was slowly dying? :sholva:
Also I don't see the big problem with a 'younger audience' will it make much of a difference? I love all things stargate (bar the original movie and Stargate Infinity)
and I'm 13, I understand TPTB making channges to accomodate a wider audience but it can't make that much of a diifference.
For me it is not about boycotting Stargate. They need to produce a product that is going to keep my interest and so far from what I have read, SGU will not keep my interest. I don't want another BSG - I am not into that dark and depressing story lines that was BSG. And I don't watch a show just simply because I need to support the franchise.

They have made it quite clear that they want to target a younger audience which is fine..I know to keep a franchise going they have to continue to bring in younger viewers who will be willing to grow with the franchise, only they don't have to do it at the expense of those who have been faithful and loyal to the show for many many years. Bascially the words that Mark Stern chose, and I do believe he chose those words delibertly since he is in the business that knows and understands how things are presented have an impact..they have made it quite clear that the older audience that has been so loyal to them for so many years doesn't matter. It's like you working really hard on a homework assignment, feeling good about it and then your teacher saying that your hard work doesn't matter. It's disappointing to say the least.

Right now we just don't know how much younger the audience is going to be and I am guessing that Mark Sterns and the other PTB are working real hard to gauge fans reactions right now so they know just how to do the promotions when they start. Once we start seeing who is actually hired for SGU and how the promotions are setup will we really understand just who their target audience is and if the older viewers really are justified in feeling slapped in the face.

Ackeb
September 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Just because you know that something's coming doesn't necessarily make it an "easier pill for you to take" once it happens. When most people think of fans of anything (sports, movies, tv, etc.) you think of people that are passionate about that thing. When you are passionate about something you can become deeply invested in it. Just look at the reactions of sports fans when their team either wins or loses games. Quite a few people were hurt by the fact that a show that they had become invested in has been cancelled and they are reacting. They are venting their frustrations. If they are unhappy about a situation why shouldn't they "grumble" about it and make their displeasure known?

Its more the manner in which people are "grumbling" that is fustrating me. Deeply passionate about the show or not people are taking it too personaly, the cancellation has nothing to do with what the fans thought or are currently thinking. The talk of the fans being ignored, disrespected and "slapped in the face" is utterly ridiculos.
The cancellation has nothing to do with what the fans thought about the show or are currently thinking. It was made clear what was going to become of the show. It is also quite obvious why this would be happening, money. New show equals new fans, while it will be new and a different form of Stargate it will still be Stargate. They were never trying to alienate the current fans of SGA or the Stargate franchise in general. It was about expansion of a marketable name. Not about the fans. Stargate is bussines and alwasy will be. It is and will continue to be about money and if this is how they plan on making more so be it. Hard pill to swallow or not it needs to be taken so people should take it and lets move on.

Rosehawk
September 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Its more the manner in which people are "grumbling" that is fustrating me. Deeply passionate about the show or not people are taking it too personaly, the cancellation has nothing to do with what the fans thought or are currently thinking. The talk of the fans being ignored, disrespected and "slapped in the face" is utterly ridiculos.
How so?

The cancellation has nothing to do with what the fans thought about the show or are currently thinking. It was made clear what was going to become of the show.
It was only made clear once SGA was cancelled to make way for SGU. I think most fans had assumed there would be at least one year overlap because that is how it has been done in the past.

It is also quite obvious why this would be happening, money. New show equals new fans, while it will be new and a different form of Stargate it will still be Stargate. They were never trying to alienate the current fans of SGA or the Stargate franchise in general. It was about expansion of a marketable name. Not about the fans. Stargate is bussines and alwasy will be. It is and will continue to be about money and if this is how they plan on making more so be it. Hard pill to swallow or not it needs to be taken so people should take it and lets move on.
It is about money and business but it is also about the fans since the fans are the ones that will support the show and the shows sponsers. You can't exclude the fans from the process because without the fans the franchise does not have a product.

And if they were not trying to alienate their current fanbase, you would have thought that Mark Sterns would have chosen his words more wisely knowing that Stargate and most Sci-fi has a passionate fanbase.

Let the fans have their time to say what they feel. Many of them, once they get the anger out will give SGU a chance.

luvmac
September 7th, 2008, 04:56 PM
The cancellation has nothing to do with what the fans thought about the show or are currently thinking. It was made clear what was going to become of the show.

But when you are passionate you do sometimes take things personally. Have you ever seen sporting events where a team has lost and people start riots? The fans act like not only did the team lose but they, their city or country lost also. People are just venting their frustration but eventally they're going to get it out of their systems and things will calm down again. Even now there are a lot less posts about the cancellation and the green-lighting of SGU.

It is also quite obvious why this would be happening, money. New show equals new fans, while it will be new and a different form of Stargate it will still be Stargate. They were never trying to alienate the current fans of SGA or the Stargate franchise in general. It was about expansion of a marketable name. Not about the fans. Stargate is bussines and alwasy will be. It is and will continue to be about money and if this is how they plan on making more so be it. Hard pill to swallow or not it needs to be taken so people should take it and lets move on.

In one sentence you say that it's not about the fans yet in another you say the point is to expand and bring in new fans. Fact is it's all about the fans, especially when you are a franchise. Who is it that buys the DVDs? It's not the casual viewer but the fan of the show. Who buys the action figures and the T-shirts and what-not? Again its the fan of the show, not a casual viewer. Whether they meant to or not they have alienated some of the current SGA fans. Whether that hurts the franchise overall or not remains to be seen.

I also understand that there's a business behind the shows that I watch and that decisions are based on what they consider is good for their business. When I watch a show and it becomes a favorite though, I couldn't care less for the business behind it, all I know is that I want to watch it and if it's snatched off the air for whatever reason I'm going to be annoyed/disappointed. I express my disppointment in one way, others express it in their own way. That's what makes coming to a messageboard so interesting (and sometimes frustrating). Like it said, the furor is going to eventally die down.

janiecat
September 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Doesn't work like that. The Terminator name has massive selling power, do you think that's because it has a massive built in fan base? Of course not, it's because the Terminator name alone will attract people just because it's so well known, not to mention all the extra publicity the name will gain it, thus exposing it to more people.

Which is exactly what this show will be doing, haven't you read the statement from Sci Fi? They spell it out for you, it's not difficult to spot.

Here you go again highlighting the fact that you haven't been paying attention. No one said the existing Stargate fans aren't consumers, what I said was they not THE consumers. Of course they're customers of the product, but they're not the only ones, not by a long shot.

And I'm well within my right to express how retarded I think their reasoning is, is that OK? Why do YOU care so much that I'm doing so?

You're confused. We've been given 5 seasons of Atlantis, we haven't been given a 6th, nothing has been taken away, it's just that nothing additional have been given.

Great, perhaps you'll start acting like one. These sly childish insults you keep leaving in your posts are very telling you know.

Oh my dear, you are too, too funny! You don't even know when you're talking in circles! Keep it up, I'll just pop some popcorn and watch from the sidelines as you talk from both sides of your mouth. Why don't you just talk to yourself, you don't need me to make whatever point it was you were trying to make (that got lost) in your determination to win at any cost. Of course, calling others posters retarded is a sure way to win any argument...

Keep going, all your arguments just reinforce my original posts. I'm all ears...

TameFarrar
September 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Just a reminder folks DO NOT let your discussion become personal. Debate opinions and thoughts but do not start in on the person. All that will get you is your posts deleted and you upset.

So please stick to discussing the opinion and not the person behind it by making rude or disparaging remarks.

Thank You
TameFarrar
GateWorld Moderator

Ackeb
September 7th, 2008, 07:50 PM
But when you are passionate you do sometimes take things personally. Have you ever seen sporting events where a team has lost and people start riots? The fans act like not only did the team lose but they, their city or country lost also. People are just venting their frustration but eventally they're going to get it out of their systems and things will calm down again. Even now there are a lot less posts about the cancellation and the green-lighting of SGU.

In one sentence you say that it's not about the fans yet in another you say the point is to expand and bring in new fans. Fact is it's all about the fans, especially when you are a franchise. Who is it that buys the DVDs? It's not the casual viewer but the fan of the show. Who buys the action figures and the T-shirts and what-not? Again its the fan of the show, not a casual viewer. Whether they meant to or not they have alienated some of the current SGA fans. Whether that hurts the franchise overall or not remains to be seen.

I also understand that there's a business behind the shows that I watch and that decisions are based on what they consider is good for their business. When I watch a show and it becomes a favorite though, I couldn't care less for the business behind it, all I know is that I want to watch it and if it's snatched off the air for whatever reason I'm going to be annoyed/disappointed. I express my disppointment in one way, others express it in their own way. That's what makes coming to a messageboard so interesting (and sometimes frustrating). Like it said, the furor is going to eventally die down.

Pardon me what I meant, when I said its not about the fans I meant the cancellation is not about the fans. I meant that when the choice is made to cancel the show what the fans will think about it is not taken in to concideration very much. that said i do reecognise that fans are important and necessary for a franchise to exist and prosper. Hopefully current fans of Stargate will give SGU a chance so that they show can be succeed.

Ackeb
September 7th, 2008, 07:55 PM
How so?

It was only made clear once SGA was cancelled to make way for SGU. I think most fans had assumed there would be at least one year overlap because that is how it has been done in the past.

It is about money and business but it is also about the fans since the fans are the ones that will support the show and the shows sponsers. You can't exclude the fans from the process because without the fans the franchise does not have a product.

And if they were not trying to alienate their current fanbase, you would have thought that Mark Sterns would have chosen his words more wisely knowing that Stargate and most Sci-fi has a passionate fanbase.

Let the fans have their time to say what they feel. Many of them, once they get the anger out will give SGU a chance.

In my opinion in no way were fans of Stargate or SGA disrespected, although this is only my opinion.

To me it was also made clear that SGU would replace SGA. Regardless of if SGU was started during the final season of SGA or not. Granted this was also when I believed SGU would not be a aired until 2010 2011. I see the merit in your opinion though and agree Mark Sterns could have chosen his words slightly more carefully.

jenks
September 8th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Oh my dear, you are too, too funny! You don't even know when you're talking in circles! Keep it up, I'll just pop some popcorn and watch from the sidelines as you talk from both sides of your mouth. Why don't you just talk to yourself, you don't need me to make whatever point it was you were trying to make (that got lost) in your determination to win at any cost. Of course, calling others posters retarded is a sure way to win any argument...

Keep going, all your arguments just reinforce my original posts. I'm all ears...

Thus confirming my last statement. If you can't debate the topic at hand and need to rely on childish insults then you're better off not posting at all. Oh, and I never called any posters retarded, not paying attention again? Can't say I'm surprised. If you want this discussion to stop going around in circles then your best bet is to get the simple notion that the fans and the consumers as a whole aren't the same group of people into your head, either that or this discussion is over.

griffindorgirl
September 8th, 2008, 02:57 AM

Ha!
Anyone agree?There's no point petitioning,that did nothing for SG1,all we can do is show the <don't call tptb names> in the big black chairs that we're not happy.Your feelings about the new show are valid but don't trash it until you see it. I am sad to see that Atlantis is not getting a season 6 but I will look forward to the new show. Atlantis is going to do at least to direct to DVD movies and maybe more.

WolfenM
September 8th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Unless they uncancel Atlantis, I have no intention of watching the new show. MGM asked us to pimp SGA all over the place, we did just that, we got the numbers up, and now they use the higher numbers as a launching pad for the new show rather than as a reason to keep the one we worked so hard for! Even if I could trust that SGU would be a good show despite the premise sounding like utter rubbish, why should I let myself get attached to another show that will likely be ended prematurely as well? Why *should* I show any loyalty, if we old codgers aren't good enough for them anymore? Never mind that older fans likely have more disposable income than the teens they seem interested in now. Never mind that they currently advertise Cialis and such up the wazoo, medical items no teen would have need of, and expensive cars no teen outside of the very upper class could afford. I guess they plan on ditching all of their current sponsors too? Well, I hiope they plan on moving the show to a different night, seeing as their new target audience isn't too likely to stay home on a Friday night, no matter how good the show turns out ... And funny that they should aim at this teen demographic, when CWs teen shows are doing fairly poorly in the ratings -- sounds like an awfully big gamble .... Well, if they're gambling that old fans will still watch, there's at least one fan right here they already lost the gamble on. ;) They could have waited a season to start Universe, let SGA have the last year the actors were already contracted for. They would have had me for *both* shows then. I can't stop my family from watching Skiffy, but had I a house of my own? I would ditch Skiffy the moment SGA was over and buy Eureka and Sacntuary on DVD or as downloads instead. And the only MGM movies I intend to buy henceforth are ones that star David Hewlett or someone else from SGA or SG-1's cast, or ones written/produced by Mallozzi, Gero, Binder, etc.

If thet renew SGA, I'll try SGU. If they don't, I won't. And I know for a fact that I'm not the only fan who feels this way, so at least some of their ready-made audience is lost from the get-go.

janiecat
September 8th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Thus confirming my last statement. If you can't debate the topic at hand and need to rely on childish insults then you're better off not posting at all. Oh, and I never called any posters retarded, not paying attention again? Can't say I'm surprised. If you want this discussion to stop going around in circles then your best bet is to get the simple notion that the fans and the consumers as a whole aren't the same group of people into your head, either that or this discussion is over.

But, but, but... in your last two posts you said the fans and the consumers were the same! And then you talk as if they are two seperate, distinct groups and the fans aren't consumers as well as fans? Seiously, I can't keep up.. One more time: I know the fans aren't necessarily all the consumers, I never said that. What I did say, (if you'd bother to read my posts... you can read, can't you? Or is it that you just don't bother when it doesn't suit you...) is that if there are enough fans to impact viewership, they will make a difference. See? Simple. As in, not hard to understand.

See why I'm having such difficulty following your through-line? I'd say this discussion is definitely over. Oh, and calling other posters' opinions retarded is putting a very find point on it, it's still an insult.

You just ended this discussion for me! Thank you!

jenks
September 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM
But, but, but... in your last two posts you said the fans and the consumers were the same! And then you talk as if they are two seperate, distinct groups and the fans aren't consumers as well as fans? Seiously, I can't keep up.. One more time: I know the fans aren't necessarily all the consumers, I never said that. What I did say, (if you'd bother to read my posts... you can read, can't you? Or is it that you just don't bother when it doesn't suit you...) is that if there are enough fans to impact viewership, they will make a difference. See? Simple. As in, not hard to understand.

See why I'm having such difficulty following your through-line? I'd say this discussion is definitely over. Oh, and calling other posters' opinions retarded is putting a very find point on it, it's still an insult.

You just ended this discussion for me! Thank you!

There is no viewership, the show hasn't even started yet. Goodbye.

jrd231
September 8th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Universe is going ahead, you're not going to stop it. And, MGM doesn't cancel shows, the network does. Sci Fi cancelled Atlantis. If Sci Fi wanted to buy 20 episodes of Atlantis from MGM, MGM would sell them to them.

jenks
September 8th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Universe is going ahead, you're not going to stop it. And, MGM doesn't cancel shows, the network does. Sci Fi cancelled Atlantis. If Sci Fi wanted to buy 20 episodes of Atlantis from MGM, MGM would sell them to them.

I'm not sure that's true, by all accounts this was a joint decision to pursue Universe and switch Atlantis' format to movies.

Ikaros
September 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Uh, an Atlantis movie has already been green-lighted and more will be on the way if the first one does well..

As if it's the same thing.. and IF they make them like the sg1 movies they better don't bother..

That's not the same thing.

You think so...

What they care about is how much money they're making. If they think they can make more money by creating a new show then that's what they're going to do, and as they're a business, I don't see how anyone can really hold it against them.

And if they where making shoes instead of art that could be absolutely correct. But they're SUPPOSED to make art.And i am veeery carefull where i put my feet into.

You are, but the tricky thing about freedom of speech is that if you can voice your opinion, then so can I. It just seems strange to me that someone who is so determined to not watch the show or have anything to do with it would bother posting in a forum dedicated to it at all...

The forum is dedicated to SGU? sory i must have missed something...

jenks
September 8th, 2008, 11:12 AM
And if they where making shoes instead of art that could be absolutely correct. But they're SUPPOSED to make art.And i am veeery carefull where i put my feet into.

They're not making art, they're making entertainment. Stargate exists to make money for MGM.

The forum is dedicated to SGU? sory i must have missed something...

Uh yes, the Stargate Universe forum is dedicated to SGU.

jrd231
September 8th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure that's true, by all accounts this was a joint decision to pursue Universe and switch Atlantis' format to movies.

I haven't gone back and re-read the reports when the news came out, but I'm pretty sure the joint decision was for MGM and SCIFI to move forward with the Universe project, but I'm still pretty sure it was SCIFI's decision to cancel SGA. Also, SCIFI wouldn't have anything to do with the decision on movies. That's entirely up to MGM.

I mean, if SCIFI wanted to pay for another season of SGA, why would MGM tell them no? Everybody is blaming MGM here for the SGA cancellation, which I don't think is fare.

jenks
September 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I haven't gone back and re-read the reports when the news came out, but I'm pretty sure the joint decision was for MGM and SCIFI to move forward with the Universe project, but I'm still pretty sure it was SCIFI's decision to cancel SGA. Also, SCIFI wouldn't have anything to do with the decision on movies. That's entirely up to MGM.

Yes they would, the Atlantis movie is going to be made for TV, not direct to DVD like the SG-1 movies, this one is being made in a similar way to how the series was, ie made by MGM and sold to Sci Fi who will have limited input.

I mean, if SCIFI wanted to pay for another season of SGA, why would MGM tell them no? Everybody is blaming MGM here for the SGA cancellation, which I don't think is fare.

Because they weren't prepared to make both series at the same time.

janiecat
September 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM
There is no viewership, the show hasn't even started yet. Goodbye.

Oh, you're right. I forgot. There won't be a viewership because the fans won't be watching! Try parsing that one.... Adios!

Ackeb
September 8th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Oh, you're right. I forgot. There won't be a viewership because the fans won't be watching! Try parsing that one.... Adios!

Lol fans will be watching its just a select few who wont be.

Sameera
September 9th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Boycotting SGU.

Not the best idea I have heard as of yet, if you want to watch then watch, if not then don't. I'm not sure how someone can really argue about if someone else should watch or not.

I do however find it quite comical on how some people in here have said that they don't care about SGU. I laugh at this simply because they are lying to themselves. If someone really didn't care about SGU then they would not be on an SGU forum arguing for or against the new show, you kind of have to care about it to even be worth your time. In short, if you are here reading this or posting, you care.

Some people have posted about how when Atlantis was first conceived it was better received by the fans. Well at the time the "fans" were fans of SG1 and they were looking at the prospect of a new show to bring them entertainment while their current favorite show was still on the air. At the time there was none of that "you just canceled my show, now im mad" stuff that we see with this. If many of you would recall when SG1 was finally canceled there were quite a lot of people who said they would not watch Atlantis any longer (if they did in the first place). Atlantis still managed to survive and do quite well.

It seems that a lot of people feel that they are "owed" by the companies or producers. That they owe any of us any certain show or to make any show in a certain way. Well, they don't. It is in their best interest to make as good a show as possible on the budget to get as many people as they can to watch it. It is in their best interest to make the companies as much money as possible with the show that they make. Both of these are also things that we as fans hope for. Higher rating numbers and the companies making more money is good for us, it means that the company will be willing to give the shows better funding and make more shows/movies. If this is the route that they are looking at that will make the most money for SciFi and MGM then we will benefit from it. Those companies will more readily give a green light to SG1 and SGA movies and provide more funding to SGU in order to give us things that we like to see more. (Which can be in many ways, things like bringing on expensive guest starts, giving us those shows with the great VFX, building better sets and props.)

Sure I would prefer having SGA around in series form but that isn't going to happen now. I can't rightly take it out on a show that I have not as of yet seen a single second of, that would be a rather childish reaction. I suppose for a somewhat poor analogy it would be about the same as if you had a friend who lived in an apartment and the landlord kicked them out and then rented the apartment to someone else. Then because your upset that your friend got kicked out you refuse to even give the new renter a single second of your time, and what is worse you go around and argue that they are horrible people for one reason or another. Yet you have never even met them.

This analogy is quite poor because it doesn't cover the movie aspect, in this case it isn't as though we are never seeing our "friend" again, just that they are moving to an area where we get to see them less often.

Now in this you may be saying "but we can blame the landlord", well yes, I think that is the point. Be angry with the landlord all you like but don't take it out on the new renter. If you don't want to talk with them then don't just don't go around spreading rumors about them or telling others that they aren't worth talking to. Who knows, maybe if you actually give them a chance you might find that you like them a good deal. Up to you though.

Wow that analogy didn't turn out all that well, oh well there you have it I guess.

If you ask me I would say that the people in charge took a look at Atlantis and saw that it had 2 or 3 seasons left at best. They took a look at the concept of the new show sitting on the table and knew that if they weren't going to run them at the same time then this would have to wait. In 2 or 3 years a lot can change and if they let Atlantis go down hill before canceling it there won't be much interest in another show or movies. They made their move while they knew they still had the fan base to support such a move. Cancel while you have the numbers, get the new show off the ground and turn out a few movies for the fans to look forward to and to make some extra money on. In reality this is just someone in marketing with a bit of common sense. If they let Atlantis die (go until the show just didn't have the number anylonger) then they would have to wait to try to build interest in another show, they would also have much less of a fan base to market movies too so that would probably signal the end of the SG1 movies and no real prospects for Atlantis movies at all.

This is business and they made a good business move, can't really blame them for that. I know I would rather have a few movies a year about SG1 and SGA and a 3rd series to watch starting next year then I would letting 1 series run into the ground and then have nothing for several years if ever again. I am rather happy that they went with the option that will bring me the most entertainment value in the end while making the company more money.

Now I suppose all that is left is to wait and see if they do well with the new series. It is in capable hands so I think it will do just fine. Sorry if any of this has struck a nerve with anyone, or if I seem insensitive, well ok I am rather insensitive in this respect. Honestly I don't care if someone else feels like the world is going to end because their favorite show got canceled. With all the real tragedies that happen in the world, the worry for my own family, some of whom are in places where life isn't so good I think I have pretty much ran out of sympathy for something as trivial as a TV show getting canceled and upsetting a few people, even if I happen to be a fan of the show.

Well, good day to you.

TrustMeIamADoctor
September 9th, 2008, 09:36 AM
You find it comical , how "some people says that they don't care about SGU". They don't.
I guess for you, if something has the name "stargate" on it you 'll watch anyway.Now that's comical. It's comical to sit down and watch just anything because it might have a "name" on it.
The threads name is :boycott Universe. Some will say yes some will say no. You can't call people hypocrites, just because they don't agree with you. It isn't like SGU fans own the thread.
Those people responsible for the show might have think off a way to make more money. They made a nice busines move, in your opinion and in their opinion. But you agree, that SGA had 2-3 seasons(i'd say more). So they canceled a show that could bring them money for 2-3 seasons and with it's ratting getting better every year, it might have been better than just that.
Now i don't think that anyone feels that the world is going to end, as YOU put it, but everyone has the right not to trust and to reject the people that act strictly based on making money.
Everyone has the right to reject.... in general.

Ikaros
September 9th, 2008, 02:03 PM
They're not making art, they're making entertainment. Stargate exists to make money for MGM.

That's how you see it in the US? :ronananime25:
Don't they use Actors?Writters?Photographers?Designers?etc etc etc... all of them artists?

Uh yes, the Stargate Universe forum is dedicated to SGU.

Then don't put on threads like this...
Now if you don't like what i or other people might say and believe.. make another forum/thread/ whatever " SGU LOVERS ONLY"

Ikaros
September 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Lol fans will be watching its just a select few who wont be.

What fans ? you really think that SGA fans existed just because it was a stargate show?
SGA has a fan base of it's own. I don't think they'll be watching ....most of them won't..

Ackeb
September 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Don't they use Actors?Writters?Photographers?Designers?etc etc etc... all of them artists?

I dont live in the US and I dont precive any of those people as artists. Art is nothing but an interpretation. Try not to sterotype based upon what you belive.

Ikaros
September 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I wasn't writting to you....
and things are what they are, not what we interpretate them ....
If they have turn themselves into money making tools, then i am sory for them and for those that have accept this as a living reallity...
Art is truth and truth exist and stands by it's own, it doesn't need interpretation.

Ackeb
September 9th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I wasn't writting to you....
and things are what they are, not what we interpretate them ....
If they have turn themselves into money making tools, then i am sory for them and for those that have accept this as a living reallity...
Art is truth and truth exist and stands by it's own, it doesn't need interpretation.

Truth is nothing more then ones interpretation on a given subject. Truth does require interpretation and is in no way absolute. If I were to belive in one religion I would interpret it as true but to you it might not be. What you have stated is nothing more then your own value based beliefs, not the "truth".

Sameera
September 9th, 2008, 02:57 PM
You find it comical , how "some people says that they don't care about SGU". They don't.
I guess for you, if something has the name "stargate" on it you 'll watch anyway.Now that's comical. It's comical to sit down and watch just anything because it might have a "name" on it.
The threads name is :boycott Universe. Some will say yes some will say no. You can't call people hypocrites, just because they don't agree with you. It isn't like SGU fans own the thread.
Those people responsible for the show might have think off a way to make more money. They made a nice busines move, in your opinion and in their opinion. But you agree, that SGA had 2-3 seasons(i'd say more). So they canceled a show that could bring them money for 2-3 seasons and with it's ratting getting better every year, it might have been better than just that.
Now i don't think that anyone feels that the world is going to end, as YOU put it, but everyone has the right not to trust and to reject the people that act strictly based on making money.
Everyone has the right to reject.... in general.

Not a bad reply honestly, better than I expected I would get.

Anyway, a basic coarse in sociology will tell you that if someone puts forth the effort to argue a point then it is something they care about. They may not like it but they care about it. To not care about something is to give it little or no thought or show a general disinterest in it, that is not what has been happening here.

Just because something has the name Stargate does not mean ill give it any attention. I never watched a single second on Infinity, I don't read the books and by large I don't pay any mind to the different virtual series that people come up with. In fact if they would have said that SGU was being made by a group of people that I had never heard of before I would probably not even bother with giving it a chance. The only thing the name Stargate means to me is the people behind the show. The only reason that has any meaning to me is because I like the work that they have already done (SG1, SGA, and the 2 movies). Seeing how they have already proven themselves capable of putting together something that I will enjoy watching I am willing to give other projects that they are/may do a chance to see if I will like that as well. It is the same reason I watched Sanctuary even though it isn't Stargate related.

I never called anyone a hypocrite because they didn't agree with me. I am certain at any given time there is a rather large % of the world population that does not agree with me. In matters of opinion there are very few ways to be wrong. You are right, SGU fans don't own this thread. Gateworld own's this thread and these forums and they provide us, all of us, with the ability to come on here and discuss the topics.

SGU happens to be a topic of discussion and is open to all regardless if they are for or against the new show. At any time any of us says or does something that they do not agree with then they have the right to remove the post and ban the account. If something very serious were to happen they could even go as far as to sue the person responsible, though i'm not entirely sure how easy that would be. In any case, these are private forums on a private server, as long as we follow the rules we are allowed to speak our minds here. Freedom of speech does not apply in this situation but they are kind enough to be pretty liberal with what they allow.

I do feel that it was a smart business move. The name of business is to make money, any option that allows you to do that and is legal is generally what you would go with. Some may worry about the companies reputations but that is more because a bad reputation can lead to bad sales. In this particular case I don't believe MGM or SciFi are worried about hurting their reputation. I would think that for a move like this the folks at MGM would have given some pretty good consideration to the consequences of their actions and deemed them worth the risk. SciFi, well I do wonder about them sometimes, they aren't known for making good decisions when it comes to some of the shows they run.

You may very well be right that SGA had more than 3 seasons left in it. For all we know it might have been SciFi who said that they didn't want to buy 3+ more seasons even if the numbers were good. The companies went with probably the safest move they could for both keeping Stargate alive and making money in the long run. Of course all of this is my opinion but I think it is quite obvious that is what we are doing here, giving our opinions because none of us were sitting in the room while this was being discusses so all we can do is talk about what we think may have happened and what we think of their decision.

The "world is going to end" line was a pretty standard mildly sarcastic overstatement. Of course everyone has the right to dislike or reject something for what ever their reason may be. Others also have the right to question the reasons for it and state their own views. As I said earlier, freedom of speech doesn't apply here but the owners are kind enough to allow this and by in large that is what we are doing. Also most of my post that talked about the comments of others, things like "i don't care", that was all targeted mostly at about 3 or 4 people who have posted, not everyone. The rest of my post was my own opinion as to what the thinking may have been with the companies or my view as to the brighter side of it all. Iv done no different than those who choose to argue against SGU, I have happen to have taken a different point of view due to the information I have seen and how I have perceived it. I suppose if you wanted a line that could cover my side of the argument that was a mildly sarcastic overstatement then you could say im in the "all will be well and the new show will be perfect" group. It isn't true any more than my statement about the world ending but that is the point. It isn't meant to be accurate, it is meant to be ridiculous.

Well, good day to you.

Ikaros
September 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM
This is a perfect way to put everything in a stasis.
The Sun is hot. That is a truth. What is questionable and needs interpretation is how hot is it and how it's hotness infencts us.
The theory of relativity isn't yet proven.That's because it's real founder Konstantine Karatheothoris, found out that it's result where dangerous for people and didn't give the rest of his calculation to his student , Einstein. What we have is half a theory.
So one thing is certain. Relativity is dangerous. We need to have stability. A basis to start from. A basis so that we know what we are talking about.
Now you talk about "entertainment" the same way the Romans thought it. I understant it in the Greek way. And i expect from it different things.

Ackeb
September 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
This is a perfect way to put everything in a stasis.
The Sun is hot. That is a truth. What is questionable and needs interpretation is how hot is it and how it's hotness infencts us.
The theory of relativity isn't yet proven.That's because it's real founder Konstantine Karatheothoris, found out that it's result where dangerous for people and didn't give the rest of his calculation to his student , Einstein. What we have is half a theory.
So one thing is certain. Relativity is dangerous. We need to have stability. A basis to start from. A basis so that we know what we are talking about.
Now you talk about "entertainment" the same way the Romans thought it. I understant it in the Greek way. And i expect from it different things.

The sun is hot is a factual truth, where as what you said was a value based belief not a truth. Your comparing apples to oranges.

Ikaros
September 9th, 2008, 03:11 PM
The sun is hot is a factual truth, where as what you said was a value based belief not a truth. Your comparing apples to oranges.

So actors and photographers are not Artists.... OK
What are their works products? pieces of painted paper?

Ackeb
September 9th, 2008, 04:20 PM
So actors and photographers are not Artists.... OK
What are their works products? pieces of painted paper?

No an actors work is plays, movies, tv shows, and a photographers work is pictures not painted paper.

Ponitless discussion, so now its over.

jenks
September 10th, 2008, 05:23 AM

I'm not from the US, like I've already told you. Writers, photographers and designers could be described as artists I suppose, but in this case they're hired to produce a product, not a work of art. I wouldn't call actors artists at all, they're given a script and told what to do with it.

Then don't put on threads like this...
Now if you don't like what i or other people might say and believe.. make another forum/thread/ whatever " SGU LOVERS ONLY"

Now what are you talking about?

Rac80
September 11th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I will give SGU a try, I beleive a boycott will only hurt the entire franchise.

stclare
September 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I think Boycott is a pretty strong reaction. When I first became aware of the decisions around this and its premise, I wasnt intrigued. I didnt watch SG1 and I dont enjoy many other scifi shows. So I probably will not be tuning in for Universe but I dont consider it a boycott its more of a simple choice of what I could rather be spending that hour on.

Having said that its still early stages in this universe. there maybe an actor i like who becomes associated with it and may well give me a reason to give it a go or as more information comes out I may become more interested.

To be honest I really think its way to early for me to tell what I will do when its first episode airs. I remember thinking I wasnt going to watch any season 4 eps with a certain character in but i ended up watching every episode bar quarrie. so for me time will tell.

Ikaros
September 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I'm not from the US, like I've already told you. Writers, photographers and designers could be described as artists I suppose, but in this case they're hired to produce a product, not a work of art. I wouldn't call actors artists at all, they're given a script and told what to do with it.

I really can't follow you... El Greco was painting for the queen of Spainand for the catholic church, wasn't he an artist? Because he was payed to paint?

Now what are you talking about?

You said that the SGU forum is only for SGU fans. A few posts before this one.

Ikaros
September 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM
No an actors work is plays, movies, tv shows, and a photographers work is pictures not painted paper.

Ponitless discussion, so now its over.

Yes pointless. You see actors don't make movies, they perform in movies etc. A bunch of people /artists are making movies.
And you haven't got a word of what i am talking about..

jenks
September 11th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I really can't follow you... El Greco was painting for the queen of Spainand for the catholic church, wasn't he an artist? Because he was payed to paint?

That's not the same though, is it? Being payed to paint and being payed to create a work of art using paint aren't the same thing. Some people are payed to paint houses, you wouldn't call them artists would you?

You said that the SGU forum is only for SGU fans. A few posts before this one.

No I never.

Ikaros
September 11th, 2008, 01:41 PM
That's not the same though, is it? Being payed to paint and being payed to create a work of art using paint aren't the same thing. Some people are payed to paint houses, you wouldn't call them artists would you?

And how are peoplethat paint houses are compared to actors and the other people mentioned?

No I never.

Your exact words where that : this SGU forum is dedicated to SGU fans.
The meaning is the same though.

Wardog117
September 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Atlantis. I began watching it from episode 1 this March, so it sucks that it will be cancelled right after I began watching live shows. However, boycotting Universe will do nothing more than doom the franchise.

jenks
September 11th, 2008, 01:58 PM
And how are peoplethat paint houses are compared to actors and the other people mentioned?

They're payed to carry out a task, not create art, just like the production staff that makes Stargate. They create a product, a form of entertainment, not a work of art.

Your exact words where that : this SGU forum is dedicated to SGU fans.
The meaning is the same though.

No they weren't. I said that the SGU forum is dedicated to SGU, which it obviously is.

Ikaros
September 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Yet this kind of work takes people with Talents to do it. I can't understand you really.
How can you say actors are not artists? What is art for you? only painting and sculpture?
And if it dedicated to SGU only people liking the idea of SGU must write in here? who says that?
Inthat sence all those people that was clearly SG1 fans and disliked SGA shouldn't be posting in SGA forum.
Are you serius?

Ikaros
September 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Atlantis. I began watching it from episode 1 this March, so it sucks that it will be cancelled right after I began watching live shows. However, boycotting Universe will do nothing more than doom the franchise.

And? so what if it does? will you lose anything?

jenks
September 11th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Yet this kind of work takes people with Talents to do it. I can't understand you really.

Being talented doesn't make you an artist.

How can you say actors are not artists? What is art for you? only painting and sculpture?

No, anyone who creates art.

And if it dedicated to SGU only people liking the idea of SGU must write in here?

No.

who says that?

No one as far as I know.

Inthat sence all those people that was clearly SG1 fans and disliked SGA shouldn't be posting in SGA forum.
Are you serius?

I never said that, and no matter how many times you repeat it I'll still never have said it.

Ackeb
September 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Yes pointless. You see actors don't make movies, they perform in movies etc. A bunch of people /artists are making movies.
And you haven't got a word of what i am talking about..
Yes and how does performing in a movie make them artists? An actor in a movie isnt making art in anyway. Everything he does he is told to do. He follows a script of what to say where to stand and how he should be moving. In no way is that an art.

Ikaros
September 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Being talented doesn't make you an artist.

No, anyone who creates art.

No.

No one as far as I know.

I never said that, and no matter how many times you repeat it I'll still never have said it.

Is there a master plan to play with my patiens?
You say something, that has only one logical asumption, and then you go "no i didn't mean that".
Actors are artists,usually, just like most of the people that are working in movies etc, except maybe the technicians.Unless you havent really met a real one yet, or you think that no actor , that you know off , can be called an artist. That's a different thing.
And by saying that the forum is dedicated to SGU you meant what exactly? if not that anyone who doesn't like it should be here?

Ikaros
September 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM
You say something, that has only one logical asumption, and then you go "no i didn't mean that".
Actors are artists,usually, just like most of the people that are working in movies etc, except maybe the technicians.Unless you havent really met a real one yet, or you think that no actor , that you know off , can be called an artist. That's a different thing.
And by saying that the forum is dedicated to SGU you meant what exactly? if not that anyone who doesn't like it should be here?

shouldn't*

Ikaros
September 12th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Yes and how does performing in a movie make them artists? An actor in a movie isnt making art in anyway. Everything he does he is told to do. He follows a script of what to say where to stand and how he should be moving. In no way is that an art.

Then why dont we all become actors? or take anybody from the street to do the job?
You say that they're just instruments? That they can't add anything to their role?They can't produse any feeling/reaction other than what they're told to?
Not the actors i am talking about....
You can have 30 different actors, but real actors, and give them the same scipt and the same directions and have 30 different performances.

jenks
September 12th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Actors aren't artists, I don't need to know one personally to know that. Artists create art, actors do what they're told.

That this forum is dedicated to the show, obviously.

kymeric
September 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Excessively vocal fans do nothing for production or marketing. Remember snakes on a plane and serenity? Internet hype isnt real and is only a extremely biased testing sample for ideas. Tpb MgM and Scifi are a serious buisness and i support their decisions. Sure ill miss weekly doses of atlantis, but will prolly get more excited about the movies than xmas morning as a kid :D Universe will have the same or better production quality than whut were used to. Did anyone miss that theyre pumping ALOT more money into this show than either of its predicessors. I for one cant wait to see how tptb can handle a huge when theyd always turned out gold on a shoestring budget.

Promethius30
September 12th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Ha!
Maybe you should try to watch it first maybe you will like more than an Atlantis. I for one i am very excited about stargate universe like i was about Atlantis first was announced

any_gopher
September 13th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Actors aren't artists, I don't need to know one personally to know that. Artists create art, actors do what they're told.

That this forum is dedicated to the show, obviously.

Jenks, I'm quoting you not as a response to you personally, but to reference this conversation lol, so don't take it personally.

What you guys are talking about is nothing more than semantics and interpretation. Everything you're talking about, whether some things are art or not, and whether or not they are made by artists or not, is entirely open to interpretation.

Personally, I'd say it depends on the intention of the creator. Take a camera operator. If he sits there and does his job, even outstandingly well, but does it to get the big check, he's just a camera operator. Take the guy who who takes his job so seriously that he sees himself as a painter of sorts, taking an almost poetic approach to his task, doing everything he can to aesthetically collect his shot to fully capture exactly what the writers and actors contribute, can easily be considered an artist.

Same applies to actors. To some, it's just a job. To others, it's an expressive need. Acting CAN be art, just like writing and film, but it doesn't HAVE to be. Art can be art, even if it is designed to meet predetermined specifications not dictated by the artist. At the same time, something can be non-commissioned, but totally uninspired and created for money's sake, and that may not be considered art.

Essentially, you both have a piece of the puzzle. Now, hopefully, we are back to the topic at hand lol..... the STUPID idea of a boycott.

Seriously, a boycott? If you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple. But a boycott implies an active movement to prevent other people to watch it, which doesn't help anyone.

Yaxez
September 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
What? The last 2-3 seasons of Atlantis have dropped in quality drasticly, It is no longer exciting to watch new episodes as they come out.

They remove (don't use) all the good actors and replace them with newer worse ones.

Radek? Ford? Beckett? Weir?

What do we get instead? Woolsey, some Beckett clone (let him die for god sakes!), Jennifer, endless episodes of Rodney whining.

Boring episodes similar to sg-1 ones, pointless episodes that doesn't bring the story forward nor do they develop the characters, when you do start to like someone they cut them out.

The acting feels cheaper lately too, as does the whole show.

It's a good thing this is the last season, the writers are running out of ...everthing.

jenks
September 14th, 2008, 08:35 AM
What? The last 2-3 seasons of Atlantis have dropped in quality drasticly, It is no longer exciting to watch new episodes as they come out.

They remove (don't use) all the good actors and replace them with newer worse ones.

Radek? Ford? Beckett? Weir?

What do we get instead? Woolsey, some Beckett clone (let him die for god sakes!), Jennifer, endless episodes of Rodney whining.

Boring episodes similar to sg-1 ones, pointless episodes that doesn't bring the story forward nor do they develop the characters, when you do start to like someone they cut them out.

The acting feels cheaper lately too, as does the whole show.

It's a good thing this is the last season, the writers are running out of ...everthing.

All just your opinion, lot's of people have noticed the exact opposite of what you're describing.

Yaxez
September 14th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Apparently the majority of viewers have an eye for quality, agrees with me and thus validates the sga cancellation.

No?

jenks
September 14th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Apparently the majority of viewers have an eye for quality, agrees with me and thus validates the sga cancellation.

No?

Well no, not really, the ratings have been steadily rising since season 4. The show wasn't canceled due to lack of viewers, it seems it ended so that Universe could begin, which is why so many people are pissed off.

Yaxez
September 14th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Well no, not really, the ratings have been steadily rising since season 4. The show wasn't canceled due to lack of viewers, it seems it ended so that Universe could begin, which is why so many people are pissed off.
What a load of bs, the ratings have dropped since like 2004.

"It seems it ended so that Universe could begin" - It seems? Im sure there are a couple of reasons why they canceled Atlantis, unfourtunatley i don't work with them so i can't really point them out to you, i can only speculate.

Low ratings, low quality, lack of ideas for new episodes?

jenks
September 14th, 2008, 09:03 AM
What a load of bs, the ratings have dropped since like 2004.

Season 5 ratings have been higher than season 4 ratings.

"It seems it ended so that Universe could begin" - It seems? Im sure there are a couple of reasons why they canceled Atlantis, unfourtunatley i don't work with them so i can't really point them out to you, i can only speculate.

I'm just going by what I've read in their press statements, they've all but said Atlantis was canceled so that Universe could begin, right down to the fact that they need to get more viewers while they can and that they weren't prepared to make them both at the same time, so that it had to be either one or the other.

Low ratings, low quality, lack of ideas for new episodes?

That's still just your opinion.

Yaxez
September 14th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Season 5 ratings have been higher than season 4 ratings.

Which proves what, season 4 was crap?

I'm just going by what I've read in their press statements

Yes, they always say what's best for the viewer, not themselves. They are like politicians. You sound a bit naive.

That's still just your opinion.
No, as i said -- i can only speculate, therefore they are speculations.

jenks
September 14th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Which proves what, season 4 was crap?

Yes, they always say what's best for the viewer, not themselves. They are like politicians. You sound a bit naive.

Use your head. If Atlantis was renewed after season 4, and has had better ratings in season 5, then obviously the decision wasn't down to ratings.

apsman
September 14th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Ha!

They're going to ruin the whole Stargate Franchise! Did anyone read what they're going to do. The cast is set for a younger audience. It's going to be a 90120 in space. Not the sci fi adventure which SG-1 and Atlantis brought us.

Why must they end the Atlantis series? We need to partition this decision. I'm sure there is a strong enough fan base to continue Atlantis.
Anyone with any idea how to get through to MGM and SciFi, lets hear it and we can take action.

Yaxez
September 14th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Use your head. If Atlantis was renewed after season 4, and has had better ratings in season 5, then obviously the decision wasn't down to ratings.
I don't have the exact ratings, but i'd suspect that the season 4 and 5 ratings were a lot lower then say season 1 and 2. Just because they went up a bit after season 4 doesn't mean that they are high.

Im not saying the ratings play the most significant part, but they do play a part, and probably would take a bigger role in the future (as they inevitably would decline even more). There probably are a number of factors that you have to take into consideration when discussing why they are going to cancel it. It isn't as black and white as you make it seem.

Atlantis is a sinking ship, open your eyes and see! Or in your case, stay onboard and drown.

I suggest you use your head.

jenks
September 14th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I don't have the exact ratings, but i'd suspect that the season 4 and 5 ratings were a lot lower then say season 1 and 2. Just because they went up a bit after season 4 doesn't mean that they are high.

No one said they were.

Im not saying the ratings play the most significant part, but they do play a part, and probably would take a bigger role in the future (as they inevitably would decline even more). There probably are a number of factors that you have to take into consideration when discussing why they are going to cancel it. It isn't as black and white as you make it seem.

I never made it out to be black and white, all I said was that I don't think the majority of people would agree with your assessment of it's quality, and the numbers of viewers the show was attracting wasn't a problem. Hell, BAMRS got more viewers than any episode since season 2.

Atlantis is a sinking ship, open your eyes and see! Or in your case, stay onboard and drown.

I suggest you use your head.

What does that even mean? Of course it's a sinking ship, it's been canceled, no one is disputing that, what is being disputed is your assertion that the show has seen a decline in quality and that's why it was canceled.

Rosehawk
September 14th, 2008, 12:46 PM
They're going to ruin the whole Stargate Franchise! Did anyone read what they're going to do. The cast is set for a younger audience. It's going to be a 90120 in space. Not the sci fi adventure which SG-1 and Atlantis brought us.
They don't think they are going to ruin the Stargate Franchise. They think by bringing in something different, with a younger vibe, they can get more and younger viewers. Make sense up to a point, bringing in younger viewers who will follow the franchise as long as the current viewers have should keep the Franchise going.
Just because it is younger does not mean it will be a 90120 type show. We really don't know until they start casting and promoting SGU.

Why must they end the Atlantis series? We need to partition this decision. I'm sure there is a strong enough fan base to continue Atlantis.
They don't need to end Atlantis, they are choosing to end Atlantis to focus on SGU. There is a strong enough fanbase to continue on with Atlantis, they just hope that the fanbase will carry on to SGU. It's risky for them to cancel Atlantis before SGU is onboard, but as Skiffy said, they are going for a younger vibe, which means the older group who has helped to keep the franchise going is no longer going to be as important to them so in their eyes the risk is acceptable.

Anyone with any idea how to get through to MGM and SciFi, lets hear it and we can take action.
There are lots of active things going on, just keep checking around on Gateworld. However, keep in mind MGM and SciFi know exactly what they are doing and they know how fans are going to react. We always react the same when our favorite shows get cancelled so I am guessing that they will take a tolerant attitude towards anything fans do but it won't change their decisions.

Yaxez
September 14th, 2008, 03:47 PM
No one said they were.
No, but you made them out to be.

I never made it out to be black and white

Maybe not, but you are on that slippery slope.

What does that even mean?
The ship is sinking, all the smart people are getting off. Of course there are still some sitting inside in a state of denial.

Realize that you can't stop the ship from sinking, you have to make the best of the situation.

You remind me of a little kid that's moping.

Col. Tomorian
September 14th, 2008, 03:53 PM
The ship is sinking, all the smart people are getting off. Of course there are still some sitting inside the ship in a state of denial. "Earth Final Conflict" all over again. Nooooo! I watched episode after epsisode of "Earth Final Conflict". I was in complete denial. Since the first season rocked, I thought the writters would continue. If you watched one spisode of "Earth Final Conflict", between season two and five, you have watched every single one of them. It was as if they were using the same outline week after week. I was in complete denial!

Synopse ("Earth Final Conflict"):
1 - Good guys go behind bad guy's back to find a weapon.
2 - Good guys get stuck in a bad situtaion.
3 - Bad guys are one step ahead.
4 - Good guys get a really cool weapon.
5 - Good guys loose really cool weapon.
6 - Bad guys are two steps ahead.
7 - Episode over.

Tune in next week for the same thing. I was in complete denial. I wanted that show to become something better, and I pissed away a good four years on watching. Not again. I thought the Ori storyarch was heading into that direction. Thank god they pulled the plug. Imagine going through that every episode week after week.

Synopse ("Stargate's Ori Story"):
1 - Good guys go behind bad guy's back to find a weapon.
2 - Good guys get stuck in a bad situtaion.
3 - Bad guys are one step ahead.
4 - Good guys get a really cool weapon.
5 - Good guys loose really cool weapon.
6 - Bad guys are two steps ahead.
7 - Episode over.

marli
September 14th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Personally I looked forward to see sgu but the fact is they cancel sga for this new serie and that's hurt me, i'm sad, I don't want to see the show and I'm not in the target, too old.

jenks
September 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM
The ship is sinking, all the smart people are getting off. Of course there are still some sitting inside in a state of denial.

Realize that you can't stop the ship from sinking, you have to make the best of the situation.

You're making less and less sense. What do you mean in a state of denial? No one is under any illusions as to what's happening. All I've said is that the show wasn't canceled due to ratings, and at the time of cancelation was actually on the up in terms of ratings, and in my opinion, quality too.

You remind me of a little kid that's moping.

And you remind me of someone who's unable to articulate a proper argument, and so resorts to personal insults like so many other children on the internet. You seem to be replying without reading what is being said, no one's moping about anything, you're seeing what you want to see and responding to something that isn't there. I've given you no reason to even think I'm bothered about the cancelation, let alone 'moping'.

the fifth man
September 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
IMO, SGA has gotten better and better over the seasons. That is why I am willing to give TPTB a shot on Universe. There is no way I'll boycott SGU.

TigerLord
September 14th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Universe LOOKS like a travesty <mod snip - try expressing your opinion without calling others names> who have the desire to milk their cashcow. This is what Universe looks like to me.

I still haven't digested the firing of Higginson, who was very good in her role.

Yaxez
September 15th, 2008, 04:14 AM
You're making less and less sense
Strange, Col. Marcus seems to understand perfectly (read his comment). Maybe it's just the ones in state of denial that doesn't understand. *sarcastic joke incase you need help to understand ;)*

And you remind me of someone who's unable to articulate a proper argument
Im speculating WHY they would cancel Atlantis, im giving you some possible reasons but you shrug them off.

All im saying is that you don't have all the facts, and the cancellation of Atlantis most probably has merit.

I think you see what you want to see, that's why i made the sinking ship simile. At least someone understood it. =)

jenks
September 15th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I haven't dismissed anything you've said, only disagreed, and tried to point out why it's unlikely the cancelation was due to ratings.

Pharaoh Atem
September 15th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I haven't dismissed anything you've said, only disagreed, and tried to point out why it's unlikely the cancellation was due to ratings.

it clearly wasn't according to what we've been told and my understanding is that MGM and scifi wanted the series to end on a high note so fans would be more likely to buy it as a movie franchise

Col. Tomorian
September 15th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Strange, Col. Marcus seems to understand perfectly (read his comment). Maybe it's just the ones in state of denial that doesn't understand. *sarcastic joke incase you need help to understand ;)*

Im speculating WHY they would cancel Atlantis, im giving you some possible reasons but you shrug them off.

All im saying is that you don't have all the facts, and the cancellation of Atlantis most probably has merit.

I think you see what you want to see, that's why i made the sinking ship simile. At least someone understood it. =) Damn straight Yaxez. Damn straight. :D

:indeed:

Ikaros
September 16th, 2008, 10:45 AM

No?

Rattings have been increased through the years and Quality was awarded with varius awards, ingluding a people's choice award last year.
The general economic crisis in the US was propably the reason, mainly the problems MGM has because of the crisis.
Nothing validates this shows cancellation.Absolutely nothing.
Ofcourse we can't boycott it in the original meaning of the word. I mean what can we do? get a bazuka and hund them down? we can't prevent it from happening if it is already decided.
We can only boycott it by not watching it.No bazukas.......:)

Save Carson
September 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
the reason why universe is going to suck if because no one from atlantis will make guest apperances on the show like SG1 did with Atlantis. Sucks

jenks
September 16th, 2008, 01:06 PM
the reason why universe is going to suck if because no one from atlantis will make guest apperances on the show like SG1 did with Atlantis. Sucks

That's not true. According to Mallozzi there'll be a way in which guest characters from SG-1 and Atlantis could make appearances on the show.

Ikaros
September 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM

And did you read the casting calls today?
They couln't be more rediculus... So one more reason for SGU to suck, or shall i say 6?

Ackeb
September 17th, 2008, 02:41 PM
And did you read the casting calls today?
They couln't be more rediculus... So one more reason for SGU to suck, or shall i say 6?

There just casting calls which means they are subject to change. The show is still in its very beggining when it comes to building the characters changes will be made, try and give it a chance before you ddecide it will suck.

angela23
September 18th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Yes, we should Boycott SGU. They should have SGA continue at least one or two more Seasons while having SGU on. They had SG1 and SGA on for two Seasons together. They can do the same again. Plus they could have Characters switch from one Show to the next, like they did with SG1 and SGA.

TrustMeIamADoctor
September 18th, 2008, 05:34 AM
There just casting calls which means they are subject to change. The show is still in its very beggining when it comes to building the characters changes will be made, try and give it a chance before you ddecide it will suck.

They are just casting calls but they 're also rediculus.If you compare them to the casting calls for SG1 and Atlantis you'll find out by yourself

Yaxez
September 18th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Rattings have been increased through the years and Quality was awarded with varius awards, ingluding a people's choice award last year.
People's choice? Wow...just...wow.

I just lost all respect for the award.

marli
September 18th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Yes, we should Boycott SGU. They should have SGA continue at least one or two more Seasons while having SGU on. They had SG1 and SGA on for two Seasons together. They can do the same again. Plus they could have Characters switch from one Show to the next, like they did with SG1 and SGA.

Yes you've reason.
By making this error they lost the respect for the fanbase. Really a 20 years cast, let me laugh.