Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real laser beam weapons not too far away!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real laser beam weapons not too far away!

They aren't asgard and they probaly arne't blue, but they are real!
    http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/0...oves-ahea.html

Go Green

I believe we already have lasre weapons. They just aren't used in the military.

Comment

Meh, more WMD's, just what we need...
      Meh.

Comment

Actually my Grandpa worked on laser weapons for the military, and he's been retired for many many years.
        sigpic

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, LASERs aren't actually WMDs.
          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Well, there are some laser weapon program.

Tactical High Energy Laser(THEL): It was an USA-Israel prject. As I know the israelis deployed a prototype on their border.
            Functionhoot down missiles, grenades
            Airborne Laser (ABL): It is under develpoment by the US Airforce and the first test with high-energy laser would be in 2009.
            Function: Shot down ballistic rockets, maybe airplanes
            Solid-State Fiber Laser: The US Navy developing Solid-State Fiber Laser weapons, which would be working with rare-Earth materials like rbium, ytterbium, neodymium, dysprosium, praseodymium and thulium. This weapon could be fit on aircrafts.
            Free Electron Laser: US Navy
            Funciton: Shoot down rockets, smaller boats

The THEL was cancelled few years ago but the other programs are running.
            Maybe the most working type is the ABL:
            http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/...-0000p-009.jpg

So it will take a few years, but it could work.

Comment

the asgard use plasma beam weapons, not lazers.

Comment

Originally posted by HunGripen View Post

Tactical High Energy Laser(THEL): It was an USA-Israel prject. As I know the israelis deployed a prototype on their border.
                Functionhoot down missiles, grenades
                Airborne Laser (ABL): It is under develpoment by the US Airforce and the first test with high-energy laser would be in 2009.
                Function: Shot down ballistic rockets, maybe airplanes
                Solid-State Fiber Laser: The US Navy developing Solid-State Fiber Laser weapons, which would be working with rare-Earth materials like rbium, ytterbium, neodymium, dysprosium, praseodymium and thulium. This weapon could be fit on aircrafts.
                Free Electron Laser: US Navy
                Funciton: Shoot down rockets, smaller boats

The THEL was cancelled few years ago but the other programs are running.
                Maybe the most working type is the ABL:
                http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/...-0000p-009.jpg

So it will take a few years, but it could work.

actualy the THEL wasnt cancled it was just moved deeper into the dark.

the last test video they made public showed the THEL destoying a mortar shell in midair

Oh and for something realy F'ed up

Look up Rods from god,

or go to i think cracked.com (dont know exact site) and look up the

Top 6 sci fi weapons being turned into real weapons

my fav (besides rods from god) is the rail gun thats ment to be fit onto us naval ships (and tanks eventualy)

it fires a slug at roughly mach 7 fast enough so that the friction alone ignites the air around it causing a burning trail of death.

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
                  They aren't asgard and they probaly arne't blue, but they are real!
                  http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/0...oves-ahea.html
                  Ha if you go to this link , the guy working on teh lasers is named Yamamoto.
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by HunGripen View Post

The laser component of THEL was never deployed. The Green Oak radar, which was designed as a guiding system for THEL, is operational as part of Israel's missile defence system; it's recently been used to keep an eye on Syrian missile tests.
                    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      the asgard use plasma beam weapons, not lazers.
                      It's actually LASER. It's an acronym for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, or just LASER for short.

As for the comment about us having similar technology now, that's no where close to being true. As of now, the world's most powerful LASER is only 1.3 PW (petawatts). That's probably nothing compared to the destructive power that an Asgard beam weapon has. (it is probably something more like several dozen zettawatts ((10^21 watts)) or even several yottawatts...((10^24 watts))..)

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                        The laser component of THEL was never deployed. The Green Oak radar, which was designed as a guiding system for THEL, is operational as part of Israel's missile defence system; it's recently been used to keep an eye on Syrian missile tests.
                        Yeah, there was a possibility and some news that Israel will deploy a THEL, but I have not know anything new about that system.

Comment

Theyre not that new, ill try and find the article online as this was in a scientific encylopedia, sometime in the 80's/early 90's when theyre was still a ikky-ness(dont judge i couldnt think of a word) of the cold war lingering the U.S.A was working on a project stupidily named; StarWars, nothing to do with the film, but to do with lasers which, if needed to, were designed to detonate nukes in the lower atmosphere before impact. Apparently they were in testing stages when the whole thing got called off because of the funding going into it.

Ill go look for the link online as my scanner for my PC's being a little picky

Comment

It's actually LASER. It's an acronym for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, or just LASER for short.

i know. i just said it cause, some people see every beam as a "lazer" [i want a frikkin LAZER ( to quote dr evil) ], and every pulse weapon as a pulse laser or ion cannon.

and i HATE THAT

Comment

Originally posted by Kris_x-303 View Post
                              Theyre not that new, ill try and find the article online as this was in a scientific encylopedia, sometime in the 80's/early 90's when theyre was still a ikky-ness(dont judge i couldnt think of a word) of the cold war lingering the U.S.A was working on a project stupidily named; StarWars, nothing to do with the film, but to do with lasers which, if needed to, were designed to detonate nukes in the lower atmosphere before impact. Apparently they were in testing stages when the whole thing got called off because of the funding going into it.

Ill go look for the link online as my scanner for my PC's being a little picky
                              Yeah I know about this project. But with the end of the cold war and the changing of the US space policy it's cancelled. Of course USA nowadays again thinking about deploying weapons in space.

Comment

Working...
                              X