Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ba'al - Gone out with more of a whimper than a bang?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ba'al - Gone out with more of a whimper than a bang?

It's a simple discussion, this was meant to be Ba'al's major last stand and yet he was upstaged by a decidedly more evil Qetesh, and in the end his final deaths, both in 1939 and present day in the extraction ceremony were rather low scale. Whilst I enjoyed Continuum a great deal it would have been much more appropriate (imo) had Ba'al foiled Qetesh's efforts and continued with his plan for the domination of earth.

Thoughts?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    It's a simple discussion, this was meant to be Ba'al's major last stand and yet he was upstaged by a decidedly more evil Qetesh, and in the end his final deaths, both in 1939 and present day in the extraction ceremony were rather low scale. Whilst I enjoyed Continuum a great deal it would have been much more appropriate (imo) had Ba'al foiled Qetesh's efforts and continued with his plan for the domination of earth.

Thoughts?
    I whole heartedly agree with you, this was not the Ba'al that I have watched in the series, sure he was devious, calculated and he f***ed up the timeline, but i still didn't really feel Ba'al in this movie, and thats not a crack at Cliff, its crack at the writers
    Meh.

Comment

I reckon yeah, he did go out with a whimper, but he looked really cute while whimpering.

I dunno, it's hard to think what could have been more of a bang. I think what he did was pretty cool and maybe if the movie had a bigger budget and could have been longer than they might have made it a big bang. But they didn't and they couldn't. It was pretty cool.

Plus, we do know that Qetesh is quite smart and difficult to fool so it is rather believable that she would have foiled his plans. For all Ba'al's intelligence, he is not hugely smart and he most likely forgot his other enemies were still a problem once he thought he got rid of SG1.

Good point though.
      "Wøøf!"

Comment

Well, technically, he DID go out with a bang.

Comment

I agree in that Bahl should of probably gone out with more of a bang (story-line wise anyhow *hehe*), although having cuased so much trouble & been such a major pain in the nik'ta for SG-1, the SGC, the Jaffa, the Tok'Ra, the Orii - pretty much everyone! - it was interesting & only fitting that he was reduce to a pathetic, squeeing little worm dying on the sands of the Tok'Ra homeworld : for me it fits with his fall from grace as one of the most annoying, stubborn & powerful/dangerous System Lords (overall) that he should meet his demise in such a way (but thats just me!).

it would be interesting to see more of his host - the one form which the symbiote was extracted - having been possessed for over 2,000 years (not to mention the possibility of excelerated aging from prolonged sarcopoghus use! ); all the knowledge he may possibly would have obtained, all the horrors he would of seen; I think there's an untold story there (as said, the poor guy is in one for one very long afternoon. . . ).

It was nice having Teal'c & Vala staying to help the host get through it all after the extraction & good to see everythin come full circle; knowing there might be Goa'uuld out there, but there are no more System Lords (so much for the 3rd Goa'uuld Dynasty & their Empire lasting forever *haha*).

I wonder where the next movie/series will take us (they just keep getting better in my opinion! )?

Comment

Well I really liked continuum and the way everything played out so I wouldn't want to change anything. Having Quetesh double cross Ba'al was brilliant imo cause It was a cool twist to have CB as the villain in the end. The one thing I would have changed would be O'Neill's screen time, but that's another issue.

Perfecto!

Comment

Ba'al's lack of menace in the story was by far the biggest problem in Continuum that I figure. Having him be "deposed" by Qetesh was a big mistake. I heard that this was supposed to be a Ba'al centric piece. Instead, he wasn't the main villian at all. I also found it was the height of uncharacteristic Naïveté for Ba'al to be fooled like he was. I thought Qetesh would turn on him the second I saw her. Of all people, he should know the nature of the Goa'uld and be wary that a very real threat could come from those that he may keep close to him. The movie lost a great deal of it's "fun", I thought, with Ba'al's first death.
              Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 25 August 2008, 08:30 PM.
              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
              X