Destroying the Replicators easily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destroying the Replicators easily

I have never understood all the hub-bub in SG1 and Atlantis whenever they are trying to destroy something that is impervious to our technology, i.e. in Gemini when Repli-Carter wanted help killing herself with an ARG.

Even if the 8 remaining replicators were immune to ARG technology (which I swear doesn't make sense because Rodney would have made sure that Fran could be killed by it,) instead of leaving them in space, why not send a PJ through to their location, gather their frozen bodies up, and then have Atlantis dial the space gate again and keep it open with a radio transmission. Then, simply nudge the bodies through the gate backward. Viola, instant complete annihilation.

They never seem to think about this resource whenever they have to get rid of a bomb or anything and it makes them all look a little stupid. It has been well established that entering an inbound wormhole destroys anything, so why not make use of it?

Imagine this scenario, super evil badguy want them to dial the gate so he can escape, i.e. Reese or Anubis (when inhabiting a body) - so you send a subspace message (like they use to communicate with Daedelus) to the alpha site telling them to dial Atlantis and hold the gate open. Bad guy thinks its outgoing and walks through = no bad guy. It always struck me as a bad design flaw that the inbound and outbound gate looks identical and their are no "red light/green light" indicators - surprised in all the years of stargate we haven't had someone accidently walk into an inbound wormhole thinking it was outbound.

Originally posted by Descended View Post
    I have never understood all the hub-bub in SG1 and Atlantis whenever they are trying to destroy something that is impervious to our technology, i.e. in Gemini when Repli-Carter wanted help killing herself with an ARG.

Even if the 8 remaining replicators were immune to ARG technology (which I swear doesn't make sense because Rodney would have made sure that Fran could be killed by it,) instead of leaving them in space, why not send a PJ through to their location, gather their frozen bodies up, and then have Atlantis dial the space gate again and keep it open with a radio transmission. Then, simply nudge the bodies through the gate backward. Viola, instant complete annihilation.

They never seem to think about this resource whenever they have to get rid of a bomb or anything and it makes them all look a little stupid. It has been well established that entering an inbound wormhole destroys anything, so why not make use of it?

Imagine this scenario, super evil badguy want them to dial the gate so he can escape, i.e. Reese or Anubis (when inhabiting a body) - so you send a subspace message (like they use to communicate with Daedelus) to the alpha site telling them to dial Atlantis and hold the gate open. Bad guy thinks its outgoing and walks through = no bad guy. It always struck me as a bad design flaw that the inbound and outbound gate looks identical and their are no "red light/green light" indicators - surprised in all the years of stargate we haven't had someone accidently walk into an inbound wormhole thinking it was outbound.
    obviously the writers wanted to keep Weir frozen in space so that they could re-use the character in the future. it does make atlantis guys look stupid. leaving a bunch of replicators (who are pissed off about atlantis, and know its location) right near a space gate for anyone to find.

and after realizing it really was Weir to just leave her there and not pick her up with a PJ and put her in virtual reality instead. some loyalty. some friends.

here's what i think would happen in the future: we'll see that a wraith dart arrives through that space gate for a routin scout. the gate's vortex destroys the replicators who are near the gate, but not Weir who was relatively far away.
    the Wraith probe Weir's mind for information and discover the location of atlantis. they then reprogram Weir to follow their commands to use her as a weapon against Atlantis.
    So the next time she appears she would be a villain working for the Wraith against Atlantis. in the end she manages to resist the wraith programming and turn on them to save atlantis.

Comment

I'm sure thats why TPTB did it, but it starts to stretch credibility when none of the super-geniuses on the show ever think to try it.

Comment

If they wanted to destroy the replicators then they could have just sent a nuke through the gate after they went through. The whole point of the scene was to show the morality and trust issues that are there simply because they're replicators. They knew they couldn't let them live, but they didn't want to destroy them since all but one seemed like they truelly just wanted to live in peace and ascend. This way they aren't a threat, but still aren't technically gone either.

Comment

Working...
        X