PDA

View Full Version : Is that the last we have seen of the Replicators?

Jack_Bauer
August 17th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Spoilers for everything, including Ghost in the Machine...

So is it?
I have spoken out against the inclusion of the Replicators in Atlantis since the first Asuran episode, but after watching Ghost in the Machine I found myself thinking: is that it?

If that was the last episode that we will ever see of the Replicators, it was a poor way to send out a secondary villain of two shows (yes i know MW and PG reps are different, so stfu).

I find myself wanting two conflicting things: for the Reps to never be seen again, bring in something new, as well as a massive send off episode (which we had in BAMSR but the writers couldn;t leave them alone)

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
August 17th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I sure hope so, the Asurans are done.
I love the real Replicators though.

shivna
August 17th, 2008, 07:54 AM
well considering the latest episode, atlantis just pissed them off even though they werent gonna do anything :)

Prior_of_the_Ori
August 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I dont know why they might be shown again but I wouldnt mind seeing them again personally.

PG15
August 17th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I hope not. I've always loved them, and I still do. I really want to see how the story progresses from here. I mean, they know where Weir is now; she's just a dialing away.

naamiaiset
August 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM
it appears I'm in the minority here. I'm tired of replicators and want this to finally be the end of them.

tricky
August 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Probably not: But havn't they set themselves up for later? I mean think about what they did; they said 'you guys can go try and ascend', and instead they dumpted them in the big empty! Didn't they learn from what SG-1 did to 5th and the other replicators before? Those guys thaw out, and they are going to be seriously upset. They were wiling to destoy Atlantis before just to get new bodies, what will they do after being sent to die?

Wouldn't it be better to give them replibodys, then show them the Ascention device that Rodney accidently used on himself, of take them to that planet with the time dilation field where those ancients were trying to ascend?

But I am a little tired of replicators (don't feel bad, I'm tired of Klingons in Star Trek too); lets start seeing those races hiding from the Wraith.

The big land grab for Pegasas is about to start!

PG15
August 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM
It was Weir's idea to dump the bodies in space, not the expedition's.

DARSFOG
August 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I too am getting tired of the replicators, both in the PG and the MW.

They were great at first, but they have kind of over done it. Move along, nothing to see here.

Granted It would have been nice to get a better ending for the Asurans, but what can you do. However, I also feel the same about the whole Micheal story arc, and in fact the whole wraith story arc. I personnel can't wait for the new aliens in the mid-season cliffhanger. Also I want to see the travelers again, and explain more about Ronan's gun.

Less Reps/Wraith more humans/aliens...

I also miss the Genii *tear*

Platschu
August 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Maybe they will levitate into a "PICK US UP!" group form in space. :D Maybe a Traveler ship or an other alien group will find them. I was always expected to hear a backstory between the Pegasus and MW replicators, but they never made it. :(

GhostPoet
August 19th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I honestly prefer the ORIGINAL replicators over the human forms.

MIZA
August 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM
oh man i hope so

Lord batchi ball
August 20th, 2008, 08:26 AM
my guess is that they we be picked up by someone, then Wiers group will take control of the ship that picked them up and proceed to harvest the other reps floating throughout space. Then they will repilcate!!

HyperspaceDaemon
August 22nd, 2008, 05:12 AM
it appears I'm in the minority here. I'm tired of replicators and want this to finally be the end of them.

I don't want the Asurans back either .
Reviving them would imply that they come back as angry enemies . Such an episode would be a waste of time if it ever happens.

What i dislike most is how this group of "good" Asurans was dealt with by the writers: why didn't they let these surviving Asurans remain some sort of non-trustworthy possible friends ? Why does SGA need to be so "black or white" instead of introducing more shades of gray into the show ?!

PG15
August 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
The whole point of the end was that it was a "shades of grey" issue, but delt with black-or-white-like because it was necessary. That's why it was so good.

HyperspaceDaemon
August 24th, 2008, 04:37 AM
The whole point of the end was that it was a "shades of grey" issue, but delt with black-or-white-like because it was necessary. That's why it was so good.

In my opinion a group of Asurans who are possibly dangerous and not trustworthy (but at the same time are not focused on destroying Atlantis) could have been a nice addition to the list of races that co-exist in the Pegasus galaxy.

Most SF tv shows have a complex balance of forces between the different races. Unlike them SGA's diplomacy is extremely simplistic (which sometimes ruins the credibility of the plots) :
the races introduced in SGA are either extremely evil with whom any negotiation is impssible (Wraith, Asurans) or not advanced advanced enough to truly matter (Athosians, Genii, Satedans, etc.). Only the Travellers are somewhere in the middle , but IIRC there have been only 2 episodes with them.

That's why the ending wasn't good at all : it destroyed one more chance to add a new player in the Pegasus galaxy that is both advanced and is not obsessed with the idea of destroying everything around.

PG15
August 24th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I think it's even less credible to simply release a "possibly dangerous and not trustworthy" race into the galaxy, free to do whatever they please.

HyperspaceDaemon
August 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I think it's even less credible to simply release a "possibly dangerous and not trustworthy" race into the galaxy, free to do whatever they please.

So the young race called 'humans' should continue to be the only ones who are good,perfect and tremendously resourceful ; and be able to solve _alone_ all the problems that appear in the Pegasus galaxy?

Having only evil enemies with whom the SGA team can't reason with is a major minus for me. That's why I hope to see different kinds of races besides "evil" , "good but technologically under-developed" and "the perfect humans".

I have no idea what others are hoping to see in a SF movie or series, but I am not interested to be re-assured over and over that out representatives in other galaxies are perfect and can easily deal with anything. What I am curious to see is new worlds, new races with their different perspectives , new ideas.

PG15
August 24th, 2008, 11:28 PM
So the young race called 'humans' should continue to be the only ones who are good,perfect and tremendously resourceful ; and be able to solve _alone_ all the problems that appear in the Pegasus galaxy?

Uh...no? Where did you get that idea? It sure as hell as not Stargate, as it has been plain that we've caused a lot of problems as well. We're far from perfect.

I guess I'm not understanding your argument. Having technologically advanced, "wild card" races are cool, but in this case, the replicators were very dangerous and it would've been irresponsible, stupid, and foolish for the team to just let them leave.

You want a wild card race? That's fine; I like them too; but it's not gonna happen in this case, as the replicators can never be trusted and the team knows that. They can never be any sort of friends. I mean, it was never a possibility. It's not like the writers deliberately made the replicators enemies in this episode (as I said, they were very much in the shades of grey); we've been shown how they can never be trusted from the moment they appeared back in Nemesis, so forming an alliance with replicators is downright suicidal, no matter how they may appear on the outside.

Unless you mean the writers should've made it so it's not our team's choice whether to release them or not...like having them suceed in escaping? That's the only way to justify having the replicators be out there again, IMHO.

Elite Anubis Guard
August 25th, 2008, 01:24 AM
TBH I like the Asurans, I just wish they'd have differentiated more by calling them Asurans rather than Replicator. It pisses me off that they didn't. They aren't like the Replicators which is why I like the Asurans. I mean, sure, it's another race that wants to ascend but these guys aren't just any race. They're freaking robots!!!

Zamboni
August 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Of course the Replicators will still be there for years to come. We know NID has access to replicators (ie. Ark of Truth), those rogue scientists have access to replicators (ie. Ava), and not to mention Weir and those others aren't really "dead".

And what about the Milky-way replicators? We know they originated from another galaxy (Asgard galaxy?). Sure, they killed repli-carter, but did she bring all the replicators to Milky way when she tried to take over the Dakara device?

Besides, if all else fails, we're sure to see some replicators in the new Star Trek film that JJ Abrams is making... Unless they rewrite the story to make Spock a Vulcan cook... Like they did with Riker...

HyperspaceDaemon
August 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Uh...no? Where did you get that idea? It sure as hell as not Stargate, as it has been plain that we've caused a lot of problems as well. We're far from perfect.

The team is perfect because they are able to achieve anything, anytime, with no losses and with no external help. They are simply too powerful and their successes are based purely on luck . In SGA the team doesn't even have an ally similar to Tok'ra who were frequently helping Sg1 with information or the personal presence of Jacob Carter.

Unless you mean the writers should've made it so it's not our team's choice whether to release them or not...like having them succeed in escaping? That's the only way to justify having the replicators be out there again, IMHO.

That would have been good. Not keeping this group of non-hostile Asurans around is a loss for the show. I don't care about the particular way of achieving that .

PG15
August 26th, 2008, 11:41 PM
The team is perfect because they are able to achieve anything, anytime, with no losses and with no external help.

There's been losses. Plenty of losses. Too many, some may say.

We can't achieve everything. If we could the Wraith would be gone by now and we'll be having cake, celebrating the end to all villains. I mean, yeah, they'll usually solve a problem (that they got themselves into, most of the time) by the end of the episode, but that's kind of the norm of Stargate.

They are simply too powerful and their successes are based purely on luck.

Well, luck's been on the side of SG1 and Atlantis since the beginning.

You're not just realizing all this now, are you?

HyperspaceDaemon
August 27th, 2008, 05:14 AM
There's been losses. Plenty of losses. Too many, some may say.

We can't achieve everything. If we could the Wraith would be gone by now and we'll be having cake, celebrating the end to all villains.

Well, the big problem of SG is this dumb focus on "let's destroy the
next villain" instead of "let's explore the galaxy and meet its
inhabitants".

At first the villains were just specific Goa'uld leaders (Apophis,
Anubis) but at some point the writers have begun to destroy
entire races , which was a very bad move. They needed to invent
races that are more powerful than the previous one and they
have quickly gone out of races : it's hard to invent a race
more advanced than the Ori - which were destroyed much too
quickly because they posed a too higher risk to the Earth
( a very badly designed race because they were extremely
powerful but not eager to talk or negotiate.... so the possible
interactions with them were limited to fighting ).

What's worse is that too many friendly races were also
destroyed or forgotten : this leaves us only with the smart
and mighty Earth teams and the bad ugly evil enemies .... a
boring galaxy , especially because Earth can destroy any evil
race that happens to be too close to the human homeworld.

Well, luck's been on the side of SG1 and Atlantis since the beginning.

Yes, the luck has been involved for a long time. But at first
the Earth was almost unknown for other races and the SG1 team
was careful to keep a low profile trying to avoid direct conflicts
with the Goa'uld .

They also had significant help from the Tok'ra
and the Asgard - so the credibility of the situation was within
reasonable limits.

This is no longer true since the Earth seems to be now able to
easily destroy any "villain" at once with "ancient devices"
(Replicators, Ori) or even more quickly with nuclear bombs (Asurans) :
the villain simply gathers on a given planet and Daedalus bombs
the planet - very simple and effective (none of them is on other
planets or in ships at that time ... they are stupid enough
to gather in a single place and wait to be bombed). And the
SGA team is not even required to waste time with finding or
building "ancient devices": kaboom and the Asurans are history !

PG15
August 27th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Well, that's what happens when you're lucky for 10+ years straight. :p

nx01a
September 1st, 2008, 01:59 PM
I liked the Asurans more than the Wraith in the beginning. Now, considering how they've been handled and the inclusion of multiple Weirs out there because of them, I'd really rather not see them again unless they're the kickass humanform Replicators with an Ancient city ship on its way to destroy Atlantis we first encountered in 'Progeny'. Everything after 'Lifeline' with them in it just watered down and soured [for me, at least] a wonderful concept.

Ltcolshepjumper
September 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM
I think they would have been better as allies who were still alive. I've had enough of Atlantis vs the galaxy. I think Inquisition will prove my point
The Expedition on trial for making unilateral decisions in Pegasus- allies would have helped there

Why couldn't they have been allies? Why couldn't they have made human bodies? The only allies the expedition had were the Genii (who we haven't seen since season 3) and the Travelers (who by the end will only appear in four episodes total). So, as far as real allies go, there are none. SG-1 benefited from its three allies- Asgard, Jaffa, and Tok'ra. It wouldn't hurt if SGA could at least have one real technological ally.

Mirelinde
October 3rd, 2011, 02:44 AM
the races introduced in SGA are either extremely evil with whom any negotiation is impssible (Wraith, Asurans) or not advanced advanced enough to truly matter (Athosians, Genii, Satedans, etc.). Only the Travellers are somewhere in the middle , but IIRC there have been only 2 episodes with them.

Little clarifying: there are also many "advanced" races whom Weir (Asuran-Weir) says about - and whom expdition didn't meet. Such feeling as like there are two independent "worlds" in Pegasus: "not advanced" races terrorized by Wraiths and then by Asurans - and "advanced" races knowing nothing about it all. Why? I have any guess - but it intriduce Ainients not in the best way

Maybe a Traveler ship or an other alien group will find them.
I would b VERY glad! I must confess: we (my friend and me) have invented "alternta-story" how our "friends" from alternative world and from 23 centure made it...