PDA

View Full Version : Where were the ARG's?

Vala_M
August 16th, 2008, 08:59 PM
In every other episode, they have always had ARG's in hand even without any immediate Asuran threat. They even had them still in "Doppelganger" despite having defeated the Asurans just 2 episodes previously. Even the Odyssey was carrying ARG's to another galaxy in "Ark of Truth".

I know, it would have defeated the purpose of the episode if they just did this but shouldn't they have just let the Asurans go into bodies then blast them with the ARG's? How can this be explained away?

Vala,

Stormtrooper
August 16th, 2008, 09:06 PM
They thought they killed them all? Nah, plot hole! :)

Amalthea
August 16th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Didn't they adapt to the ARG settings when McKay expanded the shield of the puddle jumper down into the Asurian city? That would make them sadly useless.

cynatnite
August 16th, 2008, 10:10 PM
What ARG's? ;)

Zamboni
August 16th, 2008, 10:16 PM
What ARG's? ;)Anti-Replicator Gobbledegooks.

naamiaiset
August 16th, 2008, 10:19 PM
What ARG's? ;)
anti-replicator gun. todd/rodney said in BAMSR that the replicators had probably become immune to them.

cynatnite
August 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Anti-Replicator Gobbledegooks.

Of course, Gobbledegooks are better than anti-replicator guns. Shep says so. ;)

cynatnite
August 16th, 2008, 10:22 PM
anti-replicator gun. todd/rodney said in BAMSR that the replicators had probably become immune to them.

I put a ;) next to the question because I was being sarcastic. Guess I should write it out next time.

naamiaiset
August 16th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I put a ;) next to the question because I was being sarcastic. Guess I should write it out next time.
:o it's too early to detect sarcasm for me. ;)

Zamboni
August 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM
:o it's too early to detect sarcasm for me. ;)I think she / he was actually being rhetorical, not sarcastic.

A "sarcastic" remark would have been more along the lines of "ARGs are overrated"...

Although judging from the lackluster performance of ARGs as of late, that statement actually isn't all that sarcastic.

They should really develop a new gun. Call it MPAA - Mini Pwner Asgard Armament... It's a gun that fires Asgard pwner beams...

cynatnite
August 16th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I think she / he was actually being rhetorical, not sarcastic.

A "sarcastic" remark would have been more along the lines of "ARGs are overrated"...

Although judging from the lackluster performance of ARGs as of late, that statement actually isn't all that sarcastic.

They should really develop a new gun. Call it MPAA - Mini Pwner Asgard Armament... It's a gun that fires Asgard pwner beams...

They could also get a Ballistic Ori Operating Bazooka. I can hear Shep asking for it now.

Zamboni
August 16th, 2008, 10:48 PM
They could also get a Ballistic Ori Operating Bazooka. I can hear Shep asking for it now.What makes an Ori ballistic?

General Yogi Bear
August 16th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I think Ronan shot a Replicator useing an ARG in Be All My Sins Remembered so Mckay could get into that Replicator control room, which means that the replicators hadn't adapted to them yet.

My only guess would be that they sent the ARG's back to Earth after the Replicators were defeated. Of course one would think they would have a couple stored in the armory. Sigh...Looks like we have a plot hole....ha.

WHG5885
August 17th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I think Ronan shot a Replicator useing an ARG in Be All My Sins Remembered so Mckay could get into that Replicator control room, which means that the replicators hadn't adapted to them yet.

My only guess would be that they sent the ARG's back to Earth after the Replicators were defeated. Of course one would think they would have a couple stored in the armory. Sigh...Looks like we have a plot hole....ha.Ronon didn't shoot any replicators in BAMSR. Ronon, McKay and the marines were beamed directly into the control room, and never encountered any replicators(seeing as how they were busy with F.R.A.N. and the ships in orbit).

WHG5885
August 17th, 2008, 01:52 AM
There were no ARG's in "Ghost in the Machine" due to the fact that the replicators have been immune to current anti-replicator technology ever since "Lifeline". The new replicator bodies were much like those in the episode "Outcast," they could only perform minor repairs and were immune to ARG's, yet these bodies couldn't shape shift or replicate(because the safe guards built directly into the nanites were left intact). So, with ARG's no longer effective at the moment, there was no need for them to be in the episode, thats why we didn't see any.

Also, before anyone brings it up, they did have ARG's in BAMSR while guarding F.R.A.N. and while on the planet. F.R.A.N. had no experience with ARG's, so she had no protection against them; and Ronon and the marines did carry ARG's with them during the Battle of Asuras, but they probably would have been ineffective, at most just slowing a replicator down for a second.

gkyun
August 17th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Doesn't it make little sense that these replicators in GITM were immune to ARGs especially when Rodney designed the safety parameters himself? Wouldn't it stand to reason that he'd calibrate the bonding structure of the nanites in such a way that they'd be prone to AR beams?

What makes an Ori ballistic?

Doesn't matter! He just couldn't resist B.O.O.B. :D

Zamboni
August 17th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Doesn't matter! He just couldn't resist B.O.O.B. :DWell then... Wait till they pop out the Naqudah Infused Proton Particle Linear Eviscerator...

I_haz_a_Cookie
August 17th, 2008, 06:09 PM
when they built the replicator bodies i believe mckay gave them minimum healing abilities which means bullets will eventually take them down

Vala_M
August 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Can we please keep this a serious and genuine discussion?

And no, they wouldn't be immune to them since they were still built using the original coding from that machine. If they were created on Asurans or something like that, it would be different. If they were still in their original bodies from the time they were on their ship, they would have been immune but not if they were rebuilt with the original coding.

Vala,

WHG5885
August 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Can we please keep this a serious and genuine discussion?

And no, they wouldn't be immune to them since they were still built using the original coding from that machine. If they were created on Asurans or something like that, it would be different. If they were still in their original bodies from the time they were on their ship, they would have been immune but not if they were rebuilt with the original coding.

Vala,Let me put it into terms that makes it easier to understand so there is no more confusion on the matter. Think of it as hardware and software. Each nanite is the hardware, and the programing which is responsible for the the communication between nanites and for personality/consciousness of a replicator is the software. F.R.A.N. for instances had a fairly basic coding compared to other replicators(explaining her somewhat childlike behavior), thus she was vulnerable to ARG's. Now, the new replicator bodies in had nanites that were limited physically, thus they couldn't replicate or shape shift and had limit repair capabilities; but the coding(software) was extremely advanced. McKay's safety protocols pertained to the creating of the nanites, the hardware; the software wasn't affected.

Now the ARG's simply disrupts the communication between nanites, leaving each individual nanite intact, but non-functioning. If the coding is to advanced, the ARG's won't be able to disrupt the communication between the nanites, thus having no effect on a replicator. And seeing as how the replicators became immune to ARG's back in "Lifeline" and we haven't been able to upgrade our ARG's since then, ARG's are currently ineffective; thus without working ARG's, they weren't required in the episode.

melfan
August 18th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Doesn't matter! He just couldn't resist B.O.O.B. :D

Well then... Wait till they pop out the Naqudah Infused Proton Particle Linear Eviscerator...

You are both mad :eek: :P

perkin127
August 18th, 2008, 08:55 AM
i would say that Mckays failsafes would mean they wouldnt need the args, plus they would only work if the replicators didnt make themselves immune.

prion
August 18th, 2008, 09:06 AM
i would say that Mckays failsafes would mean they wouldnt need the args, plus they would only work if the replicators didnt make themselves immune.

If the replicators followed the template Rodney used, I'm sure they were 'fixed' so they couldn't change their code, and hence, be very suspectible to the ARGs.

Not having the ARGs makes no sense. Just having one or two in stock 'just in case' makes sense. What are they going to do? Dial home and say "we'd like to order some ARGs before the replicators break down the door?"

It's a plothole, one which I don't think Mallozzi is going to reply to. I asked him on his blog but got no response. ANybody else wanna give it a try till he replies?