PDA

View Full Version : Woolsey's Leadership shine here

andromeda_dan
August 16th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Woolsey's handling of the situation was impeccable.

jelgate
August 16th, 2008, 12:09 PM
It was one giant bluff when the city sank but it was still cool.

Briangate78
August 16th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Woolsey has been impressing me this seasaon. Last night's episode just scored more points.

Falcon Horus
August 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I felt like he was about to cave though, he didn't seem as sure of his bluff as he wanted the others to believe.

We'll never know of course, but a few seconds more and he would have.

I was saying to my sister that this - "OMG, I'm going to die! OMG, I'm such an idiot. I'm going to die! How stupid could I be?" - was going through his mind. She giggled and concurred. :p

Amalthea
August 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Woolsey was so THE MAN in this episode. I loved it to bits. As I said in another thread, no one will be playing poker with him anytime soon! He was a good negotiator too. And it was nice of WeirFran to say that he's capable at the end. I think he is showing he is way more than capable at this point.

naamiaiset
August 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Woolsey has been impressing me this seasaon. Last night's episode just scored more points.
:indeed:

I'm hoping he keeps this more serious role and doesn't revert back to a comedy act in next week's episode. I like "clueless" woolsey, but it would get old quick I think. there was a balance between the two in this.

I never thought I'd say it, but I'm becoming a woolsey fan.

Kezia
August 16th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I've always been a Woolsey fan, but Woolsey ROCKED in this ep. It was nice to see a balance between the seriousness and comic relief "door-on-his-face" stuff.

tricky
August 16th, 2008, 04:53 PM
At first, I had hoped they would use Woolsey as the 'comic relief' guy, and then let Rodney become more of a hero as opposed to a neurotic egotistical mega-science geek.

So, then they have Woolsey pull a Kirk-esque bluff that actually worked (I think some of the Atlantis crew bought it too), so who knows where they are taking our favorite IOA appointee!

Lord batchi ball
August 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I was really impressed with Woosly throughout this episode.

trunksy
August 16th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, Robert Picardo rocked the acting in this little piece of character development that the writers built into the episode. It was great to see the Richard Woolsey character try to balance the leadership role that has been developing from the beaurocrat that just got in the way when we were first introduced to him back in Stargate: SG-1. Now that he's "in-the-field" full time, what he's learned and revealed about his burden over the last few seasons is finally starting to show, which is awesome. Kudos to Robert Picardo and the director for making it a point to show that for the folks that have been watching Stargate from the beginning and double kudos to the writers for developing the Woolsey character beyond the door-slamming-in-his-face guy. I'm glad it literally still happened in this episode though! Love it!!! Especially the part about waiting for him to run into the bannister from the transporter before cutting to the wide external shot. He's still Woolsey after all even if he is learning a thing or two about being in the Pegasus galaxy.

the fifth man
August 16th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Woolsey continues to please me. I really like what I've seen out of him so far this season. I really hope it keeps up.

trunksy
August 16th, 2008, 07:11 PM
He still hasn't been pulled out of the, love to hate the beaurocrat that gets in the way category in my book yet but he's getting there quickly if this keeps up!

Lewisco
August 16th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Woolsey was terrific in this episode. i was never against him coming to atlantis. i knew he'd make a good leader. and that's exactly what he was. he was strict when he needed to be, showed common sense.. and was even able to out-wit the replicators when the city was sinking. a good bluff.

YutheGreat
August 16th, 2008, 08:34 PM
INDEED!:tealc:

Woolsey leadership was same brand of woolsey with a little military ingenuity simmillar to past leaders like O'neill and Wier. Woolsey brand being forced to walk back from the outer edge of the city back to the tower and military ingenuity of the bluff.

What he said may be a bluff but it is a great bluff. I say may cause they way I see it. It is quite believable. I mean when you think about it he was right there is no where else in the galaxy they can go and the replicators would have killed them any way by just being in the database.

Besides he knew the replicators wouldn't have sunk the city. If they did it could damage several key systems. The replicator nanite production is in the east pier it would have been damaged long before the water reached the tower and Zelenka would pulled the ZPM long before that.

Vala_M
August 16th, 2008, 09:06 PM
He was spectacular in this episode. I actually wish that they'd brought him in for season 4 instead of Sam!

Vala,

daestwen
August 16th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I was totally not impressed with him originally, and dreaded him coming into the main cast, but... I have to say...

He's totally grown on me. I wouldn't quite call myself a Woolsey fan yet, but I like what he's bringing to the show.

And I actually LIKED the fact that he didn't quite look like he believed his own bluff...

Agent_Dark
August 16th, 2008, 09:32 PM
He was spectacular in this episode. I actually wish that they'd brought him in for season 4 instead of Sam!

Vala,

nah carter would still pwn him pretty hard. If it weren't for her, they wouldn't have been able to rush the Asuran base and pwn them before they teched up to tier 4. Carter only plays against teh better players, so once she pwned up the Asurans there was no point sticking around.

Stormtrooper
August 16th, 2008, 10:02 PM

Vala,

I don't like him very much, but he is better than Carter.

Opener
August 17th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Nah, he and Carter each brought their own thing to the show. Though I have to say that what Woolsey brought to this episode was completely awesome! He walked across an alien city and still had enough energy to bluff down Replicators, and then outsmart them(probably with help from Sheppard and his team, let's be honest). It was a team effort all around in my book, and absolutely awesome. Very reserved throughout the whole thing too, which means he's a cool customer. Exactly the kind of guy I'd like to be in charge of Atlantis.

I especially liked how he was puzzeled(at least momentarily) about where he was when the malfunction hit. That's a nice bit of new guy I appreciated from the producers.

bluealien
August 17th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Woolsey's performance was the best thing about the episode... thank God someone seemed to be thinking rationally because Sheppard and McKay didn't seem to be and I'm glad that Woolsey has not let them run rings about him, which was something I feared may have happened.

I hate seeing the team get duped again so easily... there was nothing at all that really confirmed that this was the real Weir and even her so called sacrifice in the end wasn't a true sacrifice as she and the Replicators werent dead, but put on ice.

The threat has not been taken away and if Weir was truely meant to be the real Weir then why didnt she opt to put and end to the Replicator threat once and for all and make sure they were truely dead.... but the way they have been left there is a huge possibility that someone could come along and rescue them and then what kind of threat would that pose to Atlantis from a bunch of REALLY pissed off Replicators..

Saquist
August 17th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Woolsey's handling of the situation was impeccable.

I whole heartedly agree. yet this too fell a little short. I thought this would become an intresting tug of war between Woolsey's wits and the determination of the Replicators...

I'm reminded of the very VERY GOOD Voyager episode Called the Thaw. Janeway outwitts a computer program that has taken her crew and natives hostage. We see Janway's creative authority...and we got a peek of Woolsey's here but they didn't follow it up with a good climax.

Amalthea
August 17th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I think Woolsey has years of experience in dealing with bullies behind him that came into this episode.

Saquist
August 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I concur, Amalthea. It was done quite boldly. I recall while watching I was worried that he was going to panic like he's done in some episodes with Jack O'neil or become the awkward commander. That lasted about a two seconds...

perkin127
August 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
i had great respect for woolsey on this episode, not only did his bluff work (even though the look on his face showed he wasnt too sure) but also he stood his ground on weir, when rodney and shep might have easily almost let her do what she wanted beacuse she was weir, which i think she was counting on. He finally did what no member of the ioa have done, made a quick decision and stuck with it, i think he is finally coming to understand what needs to be done.

I_haz_a_Cookie
August 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM
i think why we all loved him so much during this episode was well for me anyways i honestly thought he would of caved in while the city was sinking. It was a complete 180 when he said all that stuff about "staying stuck in limbo" forever that is one huge ass bluff, like someone also said he wasnt to sure about his decision either which increase the bornie points from me

Saquist
August 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I would have added to it.

"If one person drowns there will be no negotiation afterwards. You would have proven you are a threat to life. Our deaths would ensure your imprisonment forever."

Woosley did not negoitate with terrorist and there is logic in the policy. If you are swayed by the threats of terrorism you relinquinsh your control.

Muh_tuttles
August 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM
oh boy oh boy is Woolsey AWESOME!! I didn't really care about the character but now I am starting to think he is better than I gave him credit for! :D He is standing on his own two feet, making sensible and intelligent decisions and seems to be getting the hang of quick decision making. He has my support! :)

Ripple in Space
August 17th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Woolsey is easily the best leader (in terms of skill) since Hammond. Let's not forget, in "Company of Thieves" and "Insiders" Carter caved under similar circumstances...

Vala_M
August 17th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I never felt like Carter should be in Atlantis, I get a similar feeling of seeing Woolsey in Atlantis as I did with Weir. Although I'd rather have Weir commanding Atlantis still.

She's a scientist, not a leader. Season 8 of Stargate proved that for me. That is the real reason (being why they decision was made by the writers) to bring in Mitchell.

It's kind of a waste having a scientist in a leadership position, that would be like sending McKay to the SGC to run a team instead of a science position.

Vala,

GhostPoet
August 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I think right now they've captured the perfect balance...a tiny bit of comedy Woolsey and a lot of serious Woolsey.

metabog
August 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
As awesome as it was, it felt out of character. But Woolsey himself did say that he was changing... that he never believed he would ever work outside the Milky Way but then here he is. But it's like the character we all grew to hate so much has just had a bit of The Doctor injected into him, or rather the Emergency Command Hologram. :cameron:

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
August 19th, 2008, 12:52 PM
It was also interesting that Woolsey and Ronan were in complete agreement with each other in some instances in this episode. Maybe they'll soon be best pals? :D:D

Saquist
August 19th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Hmm...
Ronnon's propensity for bucking authority will likelly get the better of that relationship.

Actionhank
August 20th, 2008, 05:20 AM
What a great actor!

Gate Rider
August 20th, 2008, 07:14 AM
He was great!

If Robert Picardo one fourth as good on Atlantis as he was on Voyager then he'll be a great character!

GhostPoet
August 20th, 2008, 11:47 AM
He was great!

If Robert Picardo one fourth as good on Atlantis as he was on Voyager then he'll be a great character!

Picardo was for sure the only re-deaming (and sometimes only reason I watched) Voyager =D