PDA

View Full Version : Torri Higginson & "Ghost in the Machine"

Daniel Jackson
August 15th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I've read that Torri Higginson didn't want to return for Season 5, because she was pissed off with how she was demoted to recurring character in Season 4 for only four episodes. However, isn't it possible that this is untrue? Is it not possible that she would be interested in returning to the show and simply dislikes "Ghost in the Machine?" It could also be as simple as Torri not liking the idea of Weir becoming AsurWeir.

Briangate78
August 15th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Cannot comment on what is on my mind because it will be mod snipped.

Daniel Jackson
August 15th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Find a nice way to say it. :daniel:

cynatnite
August 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM
As I understood it she did not like the direction of her character and chose not to return.

Scary Kitty
August 15th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Transcribed from the interview with Torri Higginson at the end of the "Stargate Atlantis: A Necessary Evil" audio drama CD from Big Finish, released in May 2008 (the drama and interview were recorded in late January 2008):

Interviewer: Do you miss her, as a character, now that you haven't played her for a while? Is she someone that you think about, or is it just another role that you've moved on from?

Torri: No, I definitely think about her, I mean, and I think especially because this last year, it's been so strange, I haven't known if I'm coming back or not coming back, there's been no clarity as far as what her story goes, so that's been hard to put it to rest. Yeah, she crosses my mind a lot, yeah, and I wish her well. And for all I know, she'll be back again next year with a red-haired actress playing her! (Torri and the interviewer dissolve into giggles at this part!) And I'll tune in to see how she's doing!

Interviewer: Have you heard any more about whether you're going to be asked back?

Torri: Honestly, well actually, I'll just come out in the open now, so I think I can say it. Um, I'm not coming back. They did come to me and ask me to come back this year, but it was very unclear as to what it was going to be, what they're going to ask you to do, and it was unclear as to um, if it was going to be a tidying up of her or if it was gonna to continue to be a vague 'is she here, is she not there.' And so that, mixed with other contractual things, I chose not to do it. And it was sort of tough, because I felt a sense of responsibility, and mostly, to be honest, towards the fans, I wanted to give them a sense of closure. And I felt that I was sort of being betraying by saying no to do it, but I didn't feel it was going to be a closure, I wasn't convinced it was gonna be, it was gonna tidy it up. So I felt, well then if we're just gonna continue this sort of vague dragging it on every year, and I wanted a clarity, and I thought that at the end of the day, however much the fans might be disappointed and not have her do it for another episode, I think they would appreciate my reasons why. I hope so.

Daniel Jackson
August 15th, 2008, 11:55 AM
As I understood it she did not like the direction of her character and chose not to return.
Now see, this makes far more sense to me than refusing to return due to a reduced role. Another show I like, Star Trek: Voyager, dropped a main character to make room for a new one. The cast was upset as was the departing actress. However, she agreed to return three years later under the condition that she'd not be killed off. Of coarse, the writers agreed not to kill off her character. The actress returned, and everyone was happy. Some hate the episode, because the character returned as a villain, but people change a lot in three years. I thought it was good.

Torri Higginson couldn't have been that upset over being reduced to a guest star. She agreed to do four episodes in Season 4. If "Ghost in the Machine" is not the end of Weir, I hope that the writers will allow Weir to return to her original form so Torri can return in a future episode.

Scary Kitty, it sounds like she wanted to return, but disliked leaving Weir's fate vague. I'm guessing this means she either wants Weir alive and well (off to her own adventures) or have an on screen death. That's reasonable enough. Thanks for clearing this matter up. :weir:

Briangate78
August 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Find a nice way to say it. :daniel:

LOL, I'll try. Well I just feel Torri should of reprised her role to please her fans. I was a Weir fan, not a Torri fan.

Daniel Jackson
August 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM
She is my favorite character too, but... if Torri doesn't like the episode, then I respect her for deciding not to return. I just hope the recasting didnt't upset her.

Briangate78
August 15th, 2008, 12:16 PM
She is my favorite character too, but... if Torri doesn't like the episode, then I respect her for deciding not to return. I just hope the recasting didnt't upset her.

I doubt it, it is just buisness, nothing personal. Paul Mcgillion had no problem returning even if it was a recurring role he was offered. They even raised him to full-time back in Season 2, only to kill his character off later in the next season.

Laura Dove
August 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM
So I felt, well then if we're just gonna continue this sort of vague dragging it on every year, and I wanted a clarity, and I thought that at the end of the day, however much the fans might be disappointed and not have her do it for another episode, I think they would appreciate my reasons why. I hope so.

I do, although I still wish Weir would have looked like herself. The whole "they're dead / they're not dead" thing is rather unpleasant, no matter how much I liked a character.

EternalAlteran
August 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
She doesn't come back, instead her character is some how repli-incarnated in Fran's body. I think this is just fine.

SMB_BOOKS
August 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Transcribed from the interview with Torri Higginson at the end of the "Stargate Atlantis: A Necessary Evil" audio drama CD from Big Finish, released in May 2008 (the drama and interview were recorded in late January 2008):

Quote:
Interviewer: Do you miss her, as a character, now that you haven't played her for a while? Is she someone that you think about, or is it just another role that you've moved on from?

Torri: No, I definitely think about her, I mean, and I think especially because this last year, it's been so strange, I haven't known if I'm coming back or not coming back, there's been no clarity as far as what her story goes, so that's been hard to put it to rest. Yeah, she crosses my mind a lot, yeah, and I wish her well. And for all I know, she'll be back again next year with a red-haired actress playing her! (Torri and the interviewer dissolve into giggles at this part!) And I'll tune in to see how she's doing!

Interviewer: Have you heard any more about whether you're going to be asked back?

Torri: Honestly, well actually, I'll just come out in the open now, so I think I can say it. Um, I'm not coming back. They did come to me and ask me to come back this year, but it was very unclear as to what it was going to be, what they're going to ask you to do, and it was unclear as to um, if it was going to be a tidying up of her or if it was gonna to continue to be a vague 'is she here, is she not there.' And so that, mixed with other contractual things, I chose not to do it. And it was sort of tough, because I felt a sense of responsibility, and mostly, to be honest, towards the fans, I wanted to give them a sense of closure. And I felt that I was sort of being betraying by saying no to do it, but I didn't feel it was going to be a closure, I wasn't convinced it was gonna be, it was gonna tidy it up. So I felt, well then if we're just gonna continue this sort of vague dragging it on every year, and I wanted a clarity, and I thought that at the end of the day, however much the fans might be disappointed and not have her do it for another episode, I think they would appreciate my reasons why. I hope so.

I'm a huge Elizabeth/Torri fan and I just want to say - I do appreciate her reasons. She made a tough decision and based on her response above, it doesn't look like it was made lightly. I am not disappointed in Torri at all, I have the utmost respect for her. My disappointment lies elsewhere. And, again, that's not just from a Torri fan. That's from a Elizabeth/Torri fan. I love the character and the actress who portrays her.

I plan to watch GiTM tonight. It will probably be the only episode I watch this season. And, I will watch it simply to honor the character of Elizabeth Weir. Truth be known, I am not looking forward to the episode, I am worried about what they will do to the character next. My heart hopes they leave the door open so that someday, if the right circumstances are in place, Torri could return as Elizabeth.

g.o.d
August 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm a huge Elizabeth/Torri fan and I just want to say - I do appreciate her reasons. She made a tough decision and based on her response above, it doesn't look like it was made lightly. I am not disappointed in Torri at all, I have the utmost respect for her. My disappointment lies elsewhere. And, again, that's not just from a Torri fan. That's from a Elizabeth/Torri fan. I love the character and the actress who portrays her.
I'm with you;)

I plan to watch GiTM tonight. It will probably be the only episode I watch this season. And, I will watch it simply to honor the character of Elizabeth Weir. Truth be known, I am not looking forward to the episode, I am worried about what they will do to the character next. My heart hopes they leave the door open so that someday, if the right circumstances are in place, Torri could return as Elizabeth.

it won't happen:(

SMB_BOOKS
August 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I'm with you;)

it won't happen:(

WOOT - g.o.d is on my side! :)

g.o.d
August 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM
WOOT - g.o.d is on my side! :)

yeah, it means only one thing

the end of the world is very close

Ltcolshepjumper
August 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Now see, this makes far more sense to me than refusing to return due to a reduced role. Another show I like, Star Trek: Voyager, dropped a main character to make room for a new one. The cast was upset as was the departing actress. However, she agreed to return three years later under the condition that she'd not be killed off. Of coarse, the writers agreed not to kill off her character. The actress returned, and everyone was happy. Some hate the episode, because the character returned as a villain, but people change a lot in three years. I thought it was good.

Torri Higginson couldn't have been that upset over being reduced to a guest star. She agreed to do four episodes in Season 4. If "Ghost in the Machine" is not the end of Weir, I hope that the writers will allow Weir to return to her original form so Torri can return in a future episode.

Scary Kitty, it sounds like she wanted to return, but disliked leaving Weir's fate vague. I'm guessing this means she either wants Weir alive and well (off to her own adventures) or have an on screen death. That's reasonable enough. Thanks for clearing this matter up. :weir:

It seems as though she either wants Weir back with the cast, or dead. Basically, no Ford/Michael situations.

SMB_BOOKS
August 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
yeah, it means only one thing

the end of the world is very close

runs and hides

Jackie
August 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
TH wanted closer for the character for herself and her fans. I think admirable for her to decline the role if it doesn't give closer. It reflects a deep concern for the fans of weir and the show.

her choice wasn't selfish or arrogant, it was reasonable and I would hope the writers would care enough about their fan base to address these same concerns. There should be closer for the character...alive or dead...and it shouldn't be left hanging.

PM was given closer. His character was brought back, alive for 5 eps. There is no comparing Weir to Carson at this point in time.

To leave the character hanging for over a year like tptb have demonstrates just how out of touch and arrogant the producers have become in regards to Weir and the fans that followed the show for the character and TH.

TPTB are the ones who made the choice to write Weir out, they made the choice to write Carson out, they made the choice as to who to hire in their places.

What little control TH managed to take for the sake of her own sanity was in the word: No.

What is left of character and the show now falls squarely on the shoulders of JM and his staff of experts. All regards to Wier and the character's direction or lack off is now in his hands and his alone.

Briangate78
August 15th, 2008, 01:49 PM
her choice wasn't selfish or arrogant, it was reasonable and I would hope the writers would care enough about their fan base to address these same concerns. There should be closer for the character...alive or dead...and it shouldn't be left hanging.

PM was given closer. His character was brought back, alive for 5 eps. There is no comparing Weir to Carson at this point in time.

To leave the character hanging for over a year like tptb have demonstrates just how out of touch and arrogant the producers have become in regards to Weir and the fans that followed the show for the character and TH.

TPTB are the ones who made the choice to write Weir out, they made the choice to write Carson out, they made the choice as to who to hire in their places.

Of course TH was not selfish and arrogant. I think it was a sloppy mess, but people are not right by saying it was the producer's fault anymore than the people who say it was Torri's. It sucks that it happened this way, and I do miss Weir, but the show has gone on, and is doing fine without Weir, imo.

prion
August 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM
from http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/

August 15th entry

....Carl said the story developed from the issue of what to do with the Weir story line. But let me warn you here: there are going to be some spoilers in this discussion -- spoilers that are already out there -- but nonetheless, if you're one of those people who doesn't want to know anything before you watch the episode, stop reading now. Now, for the rest of you, this story picked up from the tag (the last scene) of Be All My Sins, where we see Weir (as a Replicator?) formulating her 'plan'. What plan? Well, that's what the story is about. Because they couldn't just let that story line dangle in the wind.

And then, unfortunately, a production snafu reared its ugly head. Torri Higginson declined to be in the episode. The gang headed into an office to figure out a workaround. The result: We'll use Fran! Fran, you say? Yes... Fran. The Replicator the team built in Be All My Sins, who was played by the excellent Michelle Morgan. Now I won't say how this all works - you'll have to watch - but I will say what Carl told me: Michelle Morgan is an excellent actress who worked very hard studying previous performances of Weir. The result is that this "substitution" works really well...

Jackie
August 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Of course TH was not selfish and arrogant. I think it was a sloppy mess, but people are not right by saying it was the producer's fault anymore than the people who say it was Torri's. It sucks that it happened this way, and I do miss Weir, but the show has gone on, and is doing fine without Weir, imo.

Sorry Brian BUT the blame, like success falls on the shoulders of those in charge and making those decisions.

When stargate was MORE successful tptb had no problems taking the credit. When they make a mistake the same holds true.

TH nor PM left on their own. The actors do not write the scripts or make crucial choices in regards to show direction. TPTB do all that and when they do good they get the credit and when it goes all bad...there is no one else holding the bag.

TPTB are fully and competley responsible for the show. Not the actors, not the viewers, not even skiffy. JM IS in charge and he calls the shots.

Blame as well as success falls to him.

The situation did not go snafu all on it's own Brian. TPTB made choices and enacted decisions. They are responsible for EVERYTHING that goes on in Stargate both good and bad.

It's nice to sit back and claim it was out of thier control and it was just a horrible situation but in reality, they do control the situation. They are in control of Stargate and are responsible to the actors as well as the fans.

Responsibility is one thing our society seems to lack. It's about time more people realized the same as I am responsible for the words I type on this board tptb are responsible for the scritps they type and direction of the show.

bluealien
August 15th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Sorry Brian BUT the blame, like success falls on the shoulders of those in charge and making those decisions.

When stargate was MORE successful tptb had no problems taking the credit. When they make a mistake the same holds true.

TH nor PM left on their own. The actors do not write the scripts or make crucial choices in regards to show direction. TPTB do all that and when they do good they get the credit and when it goes all bad...there is no one else holding the bag.

TPTB are fully and competley responsible for the show. Not the actors, not the viewers, not even skiffy. JM IS in charge and he calls the shots.

Blame as well as success falls to him.

The situation did not go snafu all on it's own Brian. TPTB made choices and enacted decisions. They are responsible for EVERYTHING that goes on in Stargate both good and bad.

It's nice to sit back and claim it was out of thier control and it was just a horrible situation but in reality, they do control the situation. They are in control of Stargate and are responsible to the actors as well as the fans.

Responsibility is one thing our society seems to lack. It's about time more people realized the same as I am responsible for the words I type on this board tptb are responsible for the scritps they type and direction of the show.

I'm not sure what point you are tying to make here. Of course the PTB are responsible for their decisions. Just because you feel it was not a good decision doesn't make it so.

It was the choice of the PTB and maybe even other parties to reduce Weirs role and the fate of all the characters are held in their hands. This is the same for any employee of any company. TPTB have every right to make whatever decisons they want to, and at the end of the day the actors/employees can either accept them or if they don't like them move on.

And it it totally down to individual perpective as to whether the decision was good choice or a bad choice but it doesnt change the fact that TPTB have every right to make whatever decison they see fit.

Reiko
August 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM
It's all tptb's undoing. I dun blame Torri at all.

jenks
August 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
lol

Oka
August 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM
She's obviously bitter. It is understandable though but I still think she owe it to the fans to return for a few episodes so she has definitely lost some respect from me.

Falcon Horus
August 15th, 2008, 04:16 PM
She's obviously bitter. It is understandable though but I still think she owe it to the fans to return for a few episodes so she has definitely lost some respect from me.

TH doesn't own anyone anything... It's not because her fans would want to see her back, that she has to come back. If she decides that the story isn't doing the character justice and it's up to her to say, "I'm sorry, but I feel that it's not going anywhere. It's not resolving anything but leaves it all vague."

She has to like her work, she alone. And yes, fans are an intricate part of the job but they do not dictate your life.

Edit: BTW, I completely respect her decision and support her a full 100%, and I'm a fan of both Elizabeth and Torri.

Oka
August 15th, 2008, 04:37 PM
TH doesn't own anyone anything... It's not because her fans would want to see her back, that she has to come back. If she decides that the story isn't doing the character justice and it's up to her to say, "I'm sorry, but I feel that it's not going anywhere. It's not resolving anything but leaves it all vague."

She has to like her work, she alone. And yes, fans are an intricate part of the job but they do not dictate your life.

Edit: BTW, I completely respect her decision and support her a full 100%, and I'm a fan of both Elizabeth and Torri.
She's has specifically said that she doesn't want to come back to Atlantis in Season 5. I mean, most actors have been dying to get back to the show. Has any actor ever on Stargate said that they specifically didn't want to come back to reprise their role? I don't think so.

As I said I understand why she's bitter but I also think that she's letting a lot of fans down.

Falcon Horus
August 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM
As I said I understand why she's bitter but I also think that she's letting a lot of fans down.

Then I think these fans should try and envision the position she's in... get some perspective. I'm not saying that one shouldn't be disappointed (cause I am too) but ultimately it's not up to the fans to decide what's best for an actor.

Infinatus
August 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM
She's has specifically said that she doesn't want to come back to Atlantis in Season 5. I mean, most actors have been dying to get back to the show. Has any actor ever on Stargate said that they specifically didn't want to come back to reprise their role? I don't think so.

Michael Shanks dropped out for season 6 because he wanted to leave. This wasn't TPTB's wish.

jelgate
August 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Michael Shanks dropped out for season 6 because he wanted to leave. This wasn't TPTB's wish.Micheal Shanks left for some of the same reason Torri left. He was unhappy on the way his character was going like Torri

PG15
August 15th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Though he still returned for a few guest spots in S6, and full time in S7.

jelgate
August 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Well granted their are differences and one of the main reasons he came back was he couldn't find any work

Infinatus
August 15th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Hmm. Does anyone know what TH has been up to lately?

Falcon Horus
August 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Though he still returned for a few guest spots in S6, and full time in S7.

It felt like he never left. :p

Steve_the_Wraith
August 15th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Hmm. Does anyone know what TH has been up to lately?

Appeared in an episode of NCIS in 2007

In 2008 she starred in two canadian films "Yumi in Love" and "Smile of April" that are still in post production

Skydiver
August 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
i think the question has been asked and answered and all i see in this thread's future is more blind speculation by people that weren't there and have no idea what really ahappened