This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torri Higginson & "Ghost in the Machine"

I've read that Torri Higginson didn't want to return for Season 5, because she was pissed off with how she was demoted to recurring character in Season 4 for only four episodes. However, isn't it possible that this is untrue? Is it not possible that she would be interested in returning to the show and simply dislikes "Ghost in the Machine?" It could also be as simple as Torri not liking the idea of Weir becoming AsurWeir.

Cannot comment on what is on my mind because it will be mod snipped.
    sigpic

Comment

Find a nice way to say it.

Comment

As I understood it she did not like the direction of her character and chose not to return.

Comment

Transcribed from the interview with Torri Higginson at the end of the "Stargate Atlantis: A Necessary Evil" audio drama CD from Big Finish, released in May 2008 (the drama and interview were recorded in late January 2008):

Interviewer: Do you miss her, as a character, now that you haven't played her for a while? Is she someone that you think about, or is it just another role that you've moved on from?

Torri: No, I definitely think about her, I mean, and I think especially because this last year, it's been so strange, I haven't known if I'm coming back or not coming back, there's been no clarity as far as what her story goes, so that's been hard to put it to rest. Yeah, she crosses my mind a lot, yeah, and I wish her well. And for all I know, she'll be back again next year with a red-haired actress playing her! (Torri and the interviewer dissolve into giggles at this part!) And I'll tune in to see how she's doing!

Interviewer: Have you heard any more about whether you're going to be asked back?

Torri: Honestly, well actually, I'll just come out in the open now, so I think I can say it. Um, I'm not coming back. They did come to me and ask me to come back this year, but it was very unclear as to what it was going to be, what they're going to ask you to do, and it was unclear as to um, if it was going to be a tidying up of her or if it was gonna to continue to be a vague 'is she here, is she not there.' And so that, mixed with other contractual things, I chose not to do it. And it was sort of tough, because I felt a sense of responsibility, and mostly, to be honest, towards the fans, I wanted to give them a sense of closure. And I felt that I was sort of being betraying by saying no to do it, but I didn't feel it was going to be a closure, I wasn't convinced it was gonna be, it was gonna tidy it up. So I felt, well then if we're just gonna continue this sort of vague dragging it on every year, and I wanted a clarity, and I thought that at the end of the day, however much the fans might be disappointed and not have her do it for another episode, I think they would appreciate my reasons why. I hope so.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by cynatnite View Post
            As I understood it she did not like the direction of her character and chose not to return.
            Now see, this makes far more sense to me than refusing to return due to a reduced role. Another show I like, Star Trek: Voyager, dropped a main character to make room for a new one. The cast was upset as was the departing actress. However, she agreed to return three years later under the condition that she'd not be killed off. Of coarse, the writers agreed not to kill off her character. The actress returned, and everyone was happy. Some hate the episode, because the character returned as a villain, but people change a lot in three years. I thought it was good.

Torri Higginson couldn't have been that upset over being reduced to a guest star. She agreed to do four episodes in Season 4. If "Ghost in the Machine" is not the end of Weir, I hope that the writers will allow Weir to return to her original form so Torri can return in a future episode.

Scary Kitty, it sounds like she wanted to return, but disliked leaving Weir's fate vague. I'm guessing this means she either wants Weir alive and well (off to her own adventures) or have an on screen death. That's reasonable enough. Thanks for clearing this matter up.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
              Find a nice way to say it.
              LOL, I'll try. Well I just feel Torri should of reprised her role to please her fans. I was a Weir fan, not a Torri fan.
              sigpic

Comment

She is my favorite character too, but... if Torri doesn't like the episode, then I respect her for deciding not to return. I just hope the recasting didnt't upset her.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                  She is my favorite character too, but... if Torri doesn't like the episode, then I respect her for deciding not to return. I just hope the recasting didnt't upset her.
                  I doubt it, it is just buisness, nothing personal. Paul Mcgillion had no problem returning even if it was a recurring role he was offered. They even raised him to full-time back in Season 2, only to kill his character off later in the next season.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                    So I felt, well then if we're just gonna continue this sort of vague dragging it on every year, and I wanted a clarity, and I thought that at the end of the day, however much the fans might be disappointed and not have her do it for another episode, I think they would appreciate my reasons why. I hope so.
                    I do, although I still wish Weir would have looked like herself. The whole "they're dead / they're not dead" thing is rather unpleasant, no matter how much I liked a character.
                    My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                    Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                    sigpic

Comment

She doesn't come back, instead her character is some how repli-incarnated in Fran's body. I think this is just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        Transcribed from the interview with Torri Higginson at the end of the "Stargate Atlantis: A Necessary Evil" audio drama CD from Big Finish, released in May 2008 (the drama and interview were recorded in late January 2008):

Quote:
                        Interviewer: Do you miss her, as a character, now that you haven't played her for a while? Is she someone that you think about, or is it just another role that you've moved on from?

Torri: No, I definitely think about her, I mean, and I think especially because this last year, it's been so strange, I haven't known if I'm coming back or not coming back, there's been no clarity as far as what her story goes, so that's been hard to put it to rest. Yeah, she crosses my mind a lot, yeah, and I wish her well. And for all I know, she'll be back again next year with a red-haired actress playing her! (Torri and the interviewer dissolve into giggles at this part!) And I'll tune in to see how she's doing!

Interviewer: Have you heard any more about whether you're going to be asked back?

Torri: Honestly, well actually, I'll just come out in the open now, so I think I can say it. Um, I'm not coming back. They did come to me and ask me to come back this year, but it was very unclear as to what it was going to be, what they're going to ask you to do, and it was unclear as to um, if it was going to be a tidying up of her or if it was gonna to continue to be a vague 'is she here, is she not there.' And so that, mixed with other contractual things, I chose not to do it. And it was sort of tough, because I felt a sense of responsibility, and mostly, to be honest, towards the fans, I wanted to give them a sense of closure. And I felt that I was sort of being betraying by saying no to do it, but I didn't feel it was going to be a closure, I wasn't convinced it was gonna be, it was gonna tidy it up. So I felt, well then if we're just gonna continue this sort of vague dragging it on every year, and I wanted a clarity, and I thought that at the end of the day, however much the fans might be disappointed and not have her do it for another episode, I think they would appreciate my reasons why. I hope so.
                        I'm a huge Elizabeth/Torri fan and I just want to say - I do appreciate her reasons. She made a tough decision and based on her response above, it doesn't look like it was made lightly. I am not disappointed in Torri at all, I have the utmost respect for her. My disappointment lies elsewhere. And, again, that's not just from a Torri fan. That's from a Elizabeth/Torri fan. I love the character and the actress who portrays her.

I plan to watch GiTM tonight. It will probably be the only episode I watch this season. And, I will watch it simply to honor the character of Elizabeth Weir. Truth be known, I am not looking forward to the episode, I am worried about what they will do to the character next. My heart hopes they leave the door open so that someday, if the right circumstances are in place, Torri could return as Elizabeth.
                        sigpic
                        Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                          I'm a huge Elizabeth/Torri fan and I just want to say - I do appreciate her reasons. She made a tough decision and based on her response above, it doesn't look like it was made lightly. I am not disappointed in Torri at all, I have the utmost respect for her. My disappointment lies elsewhere. And, again, that's not just from a Torri fan. That's from a Elizabeth/Torri fan. I love the character and the actress who portrays her.
                          I'm with you
                          I plan to watch GiTM tonight. It will probably be the only episode I watch this season. And, I will watch it simply to honor the character of Elizabeth Weir. Truth be known, I am not looking forward to the episode, I am worried about what they will do to the character next. My heart hopes they leave the door open so that someday, if the right circumstances are in place, Torri could return as Elizabeth.
                          it won't happen
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                            I'm with you

it won't happen
                            WOOT - g.o.d is on my side!
                            sigpic
                            Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post