Firefly on Australian TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefly on Australian TV

Firefly has just started on Australian TV... that's the good news. The bad news is that it's on at 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday night. Not exactly the best timeslot, but atleast it's being shown. The Train Job was on last night, I know that wasn't the original pilot, but it was still pretty good. (A little bit abrupt maybe.) The show seems decent enough, but I'm not a huge fan of the western feel of the show. Why would a show set in the future look like it's from the past. I'm not sure if I'll keep watching it on TV at that timeslot (My VCR is busted, so I can't record it), but it gives motivation to see Serenity when it opens in cinemas.

Well, i don't mind the western feel, because they do get out of the 'western' and go onto more high-technology places, where there is no western in sight, well nvm, the characters, haha
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Well i have bought the DVD's of the series and I must admit that i really liked it! I know the whole western thing is a bit strange for a sci-fi show but if u sort of look past the western thing it is a really good show, i like Joss Whedons sense of humour.

Comment

I absolutely love Firefly and have the DVD set. When Serenity comes out, I will be there the first day to see it, I can't wait!

The western concept is somewhat explained, outlying planets without many resources and such. No it doesn't completely explain but I just think its great. Cowboys in space! The characters have so much chemistry together and you get to know them so well from the beginning. And its so funny. I think I'll pull out the dvds tonight.
        sigpic
        ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

Another DVD owner here(got it for my birthday). I love the show and are ecstatic that we get Serenity on the 29th, America on the 30th and UK on the 7th of October. HA HA
          The 360 is out in Aus and I'm playing
          Mal: Was that the primary buffer panel?
          Wash: It did seem to resemble-
          Mal: Did the primary bufferpanel just fall off my gorramn ship for no apparent rerason?

Comment

Originally posted by D.C.
            Firefly has just started on Australian TV... that's the good news. The bad news is that it's on at 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday night. Not exactly the best timeslot, but atleast it's being shown. The Train Job was on last night, I know that wasn't the original pilot, but it was still pretty good. (A little bit abrupt maybe.) The show seems decent enough, but I'm not a huge fan of the western feel of the show. Why would a show set in the future look like it's from the past. I'm not sure if I'll keep watching it on TV at that timeslot (My VCR is busted, so I can't record it), but it gives motivation to see Serenity when it opens in cinemas.
            The western flavour of the show is IMO one of its strengths. I suppose I find anachronisms rather fun. But as someone has said, it is about colonization and frontier settlement. Joss believes strongly that history repeats itself and that the two strongest surviving cultures in the future are American and Chinese. It becomes apparent that the further out in space the crew travels, the more "western" civilization feels. It probably parallels that ruggered, hostile atmosphere of the pioneering days. The core planets, which are the flagship of this brave new world, however, have a rather more cosomopolitan feel. For Aussies, if you think of some of Lawson's short stories or poems of life in the bush... it is probably that kinds of feeling of isolation that is being captured here.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

It starts on FOX8 on the 28th of September.

Comment

I think it was showing on ch9 at around 12:30. But just buy the DVD, it's got a good slip case.
                Last edited by bioevilfan; 23 September 2005, 02:09 AM.
                Mal: Did the primary bufferpanel just fall off my gorramn ship for no apparent rerason?

Comment

Kind of unrelated, however still some what relevent question: Does anyone know any online Australian stores which have the season one Firefly DVD set in stock? Everywhere I know (ie. EzyDvd.com.au) of says that they are out of stock.

Comment

No I don't, your best chance is at a shopping center where the smaller stores will probably have it at a lesser price.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbito
                      Kind of unrelated, however still some what relevent question: Does anyone know any online Australian stores which have the season one Firefly DVD set in stock? Everywhere I know (ie. EzyDvd.com.au) of says that they are out of stock.
                      They all seem to be out of stock, but places like JB hifi and Big W have copies instore.

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
                      DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Working...
                      X