"Calling all Gates" and Gate Bridge Qs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Calling all Gates" and Gate Bridge Qs

Okay, two separate questions here. They've bugged me for a while and I'm impatient when searching.

1) When Ba'al dialed all the Stargates in Reckoning, my question is how did he dial all the gates? Was that even okay as long as matter wasn't passing through the outgoing wormhole (based on what we know of Stargate technology)?

2) How does the McKay-Carter Intergallactic Gate Bridge work, as far as how the Stargates activate, dial in/out, and shut off? Does one gate dial another, have the first destination gate hold the travellers' patterns in a buffer, and somehow dial out to a second destination gate while it appears the first destination gate is still connected to the original wormhole? Or how does that work?

Like I said, if it's in the search I was too impatient to sit through convention talk and stuff not even related to what I was trying to find. If it's out there, please point me to it.

Thanks!

the bridge works like this, the gates in the bridge have a macro installed in themthat says "if you get a wormhole from gate x, hold all objects in buffer, then dial gate z and send buffer contents" then gate z does this "if you get a wormhole from gate y, hold all objects in buffer, then dial gate aa and send buffer contents" and so on and so forth, so if i dialed from a gate that was not in the bridge (doesnt have a macro assigned to it on a different gate) i would be dialing space so the gates arent connected to more then 1 gate at any one time

Comment

about "calling all gates" most people dont notice but there is actually a little button underneath the control panel of a dhd that says "push in case of small mechanical self replicating robots that are taking over the known galaxy" its really small print so i can see how you missed it, luckily Ba'al has been around along time, and he saw the little label, other then that button i dont see it really being possible, but it was really cool

Comment

The only way I can conceive of the 'calling all gates' scenario is if all stargates turned on and the outgoing wormhole flitted between them every nano-second or so. You CANNOT have a 3-way wormhole. It has to be one connecting to one...there is no other way.

Now, the problem is that this flitting wouldn't allow much, if any of the energy wave to get through to all the planets. That said, I don't see how even one gate connection would have allowed enough energy to get through to encompass the surface of a single planet, let alone all in the gate network.

I mean, the thing wasn't that powerful and only a small portion of its discharge hit the gate. It wasn't like a firehose pouring through, it was a one time spherical burst.

I hate to say it, but the writers really busted their scientific credibility with this one. Not a little bit, but a very bad, out of the park homerun on this one.
        Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

the gates have an automated microsecond calling all gates protocol, to send updates via a databurst. microseconds are enough, so it wont do the kawoosh and all, as by the time that has formed, it can shutdown already cause the burst got through. so you dont notice. seeing as baal is basically the goauld equivalent of carter, but smarter[lol], and mckay, combined, he could easily modify this protocol like an actual gate. remember the loop device? it did the same, except to a ring of gates around it, instead of every single one. all gates at once is rather easy. complex to make from scratch ofcourse.

i believe, it dials a few gates at once, who in turn dial a few at once, which dial a few at once, ETC, untill every gate is connected.

Comment

Baal didn't create the command for the dialing of every single gate, Nirus did, didn't Baal mention that?

KEEP IT CLEAN
            Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
            Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              the gates have an automated microsecond calling all gates protocol, to send updates via a databurst. microseconds are enough, so it wont do the kawoosh and all, as by the time that has formed, it can shutdown already cause the burst got through. so you dont notice. seeing as baal is basically the goauld equivalent of carter, but smarter[lol], and mckay, combined, he could easily modify this protocol like an actual gate. remember the loop device? it did the same, except to a ring of gates around it, instead of every single one. all gates at once is rather easy. complex to make from scratch ofcourse.

i believe, it dials a few gates at once, who in turn dial a few at once, which dial a few at once, ETC, untill every gate is connected.
              Not quite true. In 'window of opportunity' the gate doesn't form a wormhole. It is covered in lightning but otherwise it looks shut down after the initial kwoosh. So the effect is being translated through the stargate to multiple gates but no wormhole is being formed. Again, a wormhole is one point to one point only.

Also, gates can communicate with each other without forming a wormhole. This is how the correlative updates are passed and how one gate seeks out another before a connection can be made. It's like how rings search out rings, even if they're in a cloaked cargo ship.

Remember, the wormhole can jump from gate to gate, we've seen that several times...but it never split into two wormholes.

Also, if no two gates can be active on the same planet at the same time why then can multiple wormholes be connected to one gate and not another sitting next to it? Answer---you can't dial multiple gates and hold the connection. It has to be a rotating connection. One end of the wormhole is fixed, the other rotates from gate to gate making 'jumps' like we've seen before(solitudes, a matter of time).

Comment

well, it did dial every gate. and it worked via the updates

Comment

Okay, so the "calling all gates" protocol is just a sustained Correlative Update that doesn't establish wormholes but does activate gates long enough to send updates. I get that part.

Now...what about the McKay-Carter Intergallactic Gate Bridge? It seemed that in "Midway" a gate was dialed, the travelers' patterns were stored in the dialed gate, that gate would dial another gate, send the patterns, and then disengage.

But how can a gate draw enough power to stay activated while disconnecting one wormhole and engaging another?

Or does the Macro rely on the Correlative Update/"calling all gates" protocol, and that each gate in the Macro sequence holds the patterns long enough to communicate them through the network, and the final gate in the system is the only one that reintegrates the patterns? And if that's the case, how does that work if there are no wormholes being used? Does the gate at the end just simply need more energy to reintegrate the patterns than the other gates needed to transmit them?

???

Comment

two possibilities: wormhole forwarding: essentially, each gate forwards the wormhole, making an intergalactic wormhole without using a ZPM, or the gates dial eachother , so a dials b, b dials c, c dials d [after matter transmission and shutdown], etc etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      two possibilities: wormhole forwarding: essentially, each gate forwards the wormhole, making an intergalactic wormhole without using a ZPM, or the gates dial eachother , so a dials b, b dials c, c dials d [after matter transmission and shutdown], etc etc etc
                      Wormhole Forwarding: Never heard of this, either that or I've missed it somewhere. How does this work? I guess it would be more like forcing wormholes to jump from gate to gate like what happened with Antarctica? But how would you control where the wormhole went? I figure something like that would be completely random within a localized network of gates (if it works like the Antarctica mishap).

Gates Dialing Each Other: I don't think that works, unless "48 Hours" has been disproven. Didn't then-Major Carter surmise that if an incoming or outgoing wormhole established itself on a gate that had a pattern in the buffer that the buffer would wipe clean and erase the pattern? That's why I'm thinking it's more of a Cumulative Update thing, since we also learned in "48 Hours" that you can establish an event horizon to reintegrate the pattern without needing to establish a wormhole.

If anyone with better knowledge than any of us here would care to chime in, please feel free.

Comment

here i am.

wormhole forwarding is speculation, but would be possible. if you have a bridge, with no pylons in between, it needs to be stronger than one with pillars to support the weight. thats the idea behind it.

and why do you think the macro is complex?

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonClone View Post
                          Gates Dialing Each Other: I don't think that works, unless "48 Hours" has been disproven. Didn't then-Major Carter surmise that if an incoming or outgoing wormhole established itself on a gate that had a pattern in the buffer that the buffer would wipe clean and erase the pattern? That's why I'm thinking it's more of a Cumulative Update thing, since we also learned in "48 Hours" that you can establish an event horizon to reintegrate the pattern without needing to establish a wormhole.

If anyone with better knowledge than any of us here would care to chime in, please feel free.
                          I imagine the Macro would stop this from happening.

Comment

so when they dial all gates at once??? what would happen to you if you step through the out going gate? you would just cease to exist right?
                            *Turn in your P-90 for a MP7; the standard issue weapon for any SG Team*

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonClone View Post
                              Wormhole Forwarding: Never heard of this, either that or I've missed it somewhere. How does this work? I guess it would be more like forcing wormholes to jump from gate to gate like what happened with Antarctica? But how would you control where the wormhole went? I figure something like that would be completely random within a localized network of gates (if it works like the Antarctica mishap).

There is an answer. Anubis's forwarding program stored the patterns, waited for the wormhold to disengage, and then redialed another address and spat them out there.

The patterns didn't get washed away with the second wormhold dialing because the programing told the gate not to. When Teal'c was stuck in the buffer it was because of a glitch and the gate just washes it's pattern buffer clean as a precaution. What if a puddle jumper got stuck in the buffer and tried to get spat out the next wormhold that connected at the same moment another one came through? You can't have two sets of matter occupying the same space, so the wash of the buffer is a preventative measure.

With the forwarding program you know it's going to be an outgoing wormhole for this exact purpose, so that 'safety protocol' can be overridden and the patterns won't be washed away with the next connection.

Each gate in the gate bridge receives a wormhole with travelers, saves travelers, waits for wormhole to disengage, then dials the next gate in the bridge(using DHD power source, which is either floating nearby or is the little nodes on the side of the gate that we saw with the first space gate) and sends the matter stream on through.

So it's not one wormhole jumping between every gate in the bridge, it's a sequence of different wormholes dialed by each individual gate in the link. This is why travel time is about 30 minutes rather than 5 or 6 seconds. It takes time for the wormholes to disengage and then dial the next link in the chain.

Comment

Working...
                              X