This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Stargate Movie - The SG-1 cut.

Another poster posed the idea to remake the original Stargate movie in order to bring it more inline with the TV series, and it really got my creative juices flowing. I'm not for remaking the movie, but perhaps doing a re-edit, similar to Children of the Gods.

TPTB could keep the existing footage of the original actors, so that part of the story would remain unchainged, but they could film new footage and inter-cut it with the existing footage creating new scenes. New footage could be added to the opening scene from the directors cut. Instead of starting on earth, it could start with an image of Earth from space as we see a Goa'uld mothership from the series enter orbit, and then show the pyramid section detach and descend toward the planet. From there it could proceed through the original village scene, and as the future RA host climbs up the hill, intercut a new scene where RA as a Unas appears at the top of the hill, and end the scene with his eye's starting to glow. This would help tie into the concept that the Unas were the original Goa'uld hosts, and it could be implied that RA was the first to choose a human as a host.

When they first activate the Stargate, a scene could be added that show's Carter working in the command room. They could have Amanda Tapping make a brief cameo, and then show her from behind looking out the windows as the pre-SG1 team starts to go through the gate. This would help to cement Carter into the original story, she was there, but in the background and she never has to meet Daniel or O'neil.

Not to mention they scene showing RA's death could be re-created to show the Goa'uld Parasite instead of the human-form RA.

Is something like this necessary? No, its not, but there are alot of Stargate Fans that talk about how the movie is inconsistent with the series and I think this would be an easy way to make a better connection between the two without completely re-filming the original movie. I bet that it would sell pretty well too.

It's a nice fantasy but can you imagine how expensive that would be? It's not like you can just cut and paste these things. We're talking about different filming equipment, shooting style, timing and then trying to make it blend with the original. I'm not sure MGM would find it cost effective, but it's still a cool idea.

Comment

I'd rather see another SG-1 movie made, than have MGM spend money on re-making the first movie.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I wouldn't want anyone to mess with the original Stargate movie. I was hoping that they would create a sequel to the original film, which mirrored the logic and mythology behind the first one.

Comment

Terrible idea.
          This time... it's war!

Comment

I don't think its a terrible idea, but definately an unnecessary one. I posed it after reading alot of posts from fans that would nitpick about how SG-1 differs so greatly from the original movie. I think if there was enough demand and financial support it would be a good way to merge the original movie with the series, but I agree with The Fifth Man and Col. Marcus about wanting either a direct sequel to the original movie, or another SG-1 movie...

Comment

Originally posted by Zashun View Post
              I don't think its a terrible idea, but definately an unnecessary one. I posed it after reading alot of posts from fans that would nitpick about how SG-1 differs so greatly from the original movie. I think if there was enough demand and financial support it would be a good way to merge the original movie with the series, but I agree with The Fifth Man and Col. Marcus about wanting either a direct sequel to the original movie, or another SG-1 movie...

Yeah, I think a direct sequel, or ideally more SG-1 movies would be the best option (though, with the way E and D's careers have gone since Stargate, I wouldn't be able to get too excited for a direct sequel). I just think it would be a fun exercise. Like you say, unnecessary, but it could be kind of interesting. (as was mentioned above though, I think the different shooting styles would be the hardest part, it would be hard to make it actually look good). And in no way do I think it should be an actual MGM project, just hoping an intrepid fan could give it a shot (like the Phantom Edit, Star Wars revisted, or even the Spider Man fan cut). All unnecessary, but all very neat.

Comment

Maybe in a few years when the SG-1 tv movies end (assuming we will actually get more than two...), someone will consider doing an improved edit of the original Stargate. Whether it's a good idea or not, well...

For a lot of it, you wouldn't need too much new footage - a dose of CGI could retouch certain scenes (a la Star Wars re-released original trilogy...) so that, for example, the Stargate's chevrons glow orange, Ra's Jaffa have visible pouches (assuming they were Jaffa and not a Goa'uld warrior honour guard...which sounds kinda cool now I think about it and explains the mixture of Anubis and Horus guard) and that final scene with Ra's original form gets 'fixed'.

It'd be a nice addition to the Stargate DVD collection for completists (like myself), somewhat complimenting the Children of the Gods new edition. But as for whether it'd be worth the expense...that I'm not so sure about.
                And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                sigpic
                Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

The only way I would want to see this is if they could refilm all the scenes with O'Neill, Daniel, Catherine etc... and replace them with the actors who played them on SG-1. Oh, and replace the civilian "gate technician" (the pencil dropping one) with Walter, of course (but keep the pencil)! And... they would have to look and act as young as they did back in the mid-nineties! Hey, they made Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen look twenties year younger for X-Men 3... making RDA + co look ten years younger would only be half the work! Easy!

So no, no way. Spend the money on a third Stargate movie instead. It's a nice pipe dream, but that's all it is... a dream.
                  Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

Well your obviously not cut out for being a director!

It's just a really bad idea!

Comment

I always had this problem with the Buffy series, I always wanted a re-edit of the original movie with SMG in the role, but alas I never got anything like this.

It's a neat idea though.

Comment

I think it would be a nice thing to see. One thing they would have to put into the original...a DHD! Its always bothered me, how the hell did they dial home from Abydos?!
                        sigpic
                        Ten Years, A Lot Of Enemies, A Presumed Death, A Complete Back Story Rewrite....But Still Looking Good!

Comment

Even if it doesn't come into fruition, its a cool concept!
                          sigpic

Jaffa Kree!

Comment

Working...
                          X