X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long Will Universe Stay On Shelves?

When is it going to get serious?

I know they've got green lights on the idea and everyone on both sides seems to be down for it but there ain't that much news on it. Most say they're waiting for Atlantis to end to start it up but Atlantis seems to be running strong at the moment and it could be 2 more years before anything really happens with Universe.

They've done no kind of casting or writing for it yet (as far as I know) all they have is an idea that seems to have some strong support going for it.

Does anyone else think Universe should be started up sooner or wait for Atlantis to finish? Yes it would be cool to have a new SG show 3 years from now but I also don't wanna see it go the way of "Infinity" which didn't do great at all. Stargate Universe has a lot of hype around it, I don't wanna see the Stargate franchise fall because of a lackluster new show.
    They Say He Travels The Gate Network Searching The Universe For Powerful Technology, They Call Him...... The Gate Traveller

Not heard anything myself about the new series.

About Infinty, why do many slag it off? I like it and don't see anything wrong in the stories at all.
    http://www.myspace.com/adam_1973

Comment

Oh come on Infinity wasn't that bad, the only problem was that a lot of older people that had a lot of history with Stargate tried to watch it. The whole point was a kids show, an introduction to the real Stargate.

And I am about to go crazy over the information, they keep saying it will be so good and they don't release anything.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Traveller View Post
        I don't wanna see the Stargate franchise fall because of a lackluster new show.
        I believe that's exactly why they are waiting. With Atlantis doing strong, and the possibility of more sg-1 movies, they are waiting so they don't spread themselves too thin. If you're trying to use most of the same people to do a tv show and a movie, their schedules are pretty full. Add another tv show to that equation and it starts to become unbalanced.

I am eagerly awaiting universe too but if they are too busy to give it the attention it needs, then it will become exactly what you describe, a lackluster new show.

As far as infinity is concerned, padr49904 was right, it was meant to be a kids show, and you can't expect the kind of kids that watch Saturday morning cartoons to be able to pay attention, follow, and like something as involved as regular Stargate is.

Comment

They could do what Star Trek did with their spin-offs.
          DS-9 started in TNG 6th season.
          Voyager started in DS9 3rd or 4th season .

SGA started at the beginning of SG1 season 8....
          SO if you figure there are going to do 6-8 season of SGA then we can proably see the serious take flight the last season or so before the show ends. But it also depends on which direction SGU goes in.

Comment

From what I've read (spread over various places so far) the producers and MGM seem to be eager to start with Universe. But SciFi seems to want to hold on to Atlantis a little bit longer considering the rather good ratings.
            Since I like Atlantis I don't want it to end that quick. But I don't want TPTB to make something just for the money and the network and wanting to do something different instead. You could probably see that one.
            From what I've heard so far the backstory of SGU could evolve into a lot of cliches. So I'm a little bit suspicious. But we will see. Noone can say anything certain right now.
            sigpic
            Thanks for the Sig go to the talented Fainne
            Spoiler:
            Which Supernatural character are you? (I hate those things..but sadly it fits )
            You're John! You are skilled and smart, but world-weary and a little jaded. You're a serial monogamist, and you love hard. You can sometimes be a little too narrow-minded, and stubborn to a fault, but your heart is always in the right place.

The GateWorld Cantina - Kara : Runner gone Wraith gone Wraith Queen gone human barmaid

Comment

The only news ive heard thats new about SGU is on the Atlantis season 4 box set where Joe mallozzi says on the this mortal coil commentry that they are considering removing the blade set (i.e. the set they inherited from blade the series) in order to have room for a standing set for SGU.

Personaly my feelings about SGU are mixed. The consept sounds amazing and if done right would be a great show.

But............

Originally posted by DARSFOG View Post
              They could do what Star Trek did with their spin-offs. DS-9 started in TNG 6th season. Voyager started in DS9 3rd or 4th season.
              Thats my biggest fear that the Stargate franshise will fall on its face just like the the Star Trek franshise. The problem was that there a Star Trek overload which resulted in the quality dropping. That has the potenial of also happening to Stargate if they keep creating new spin-offs.

Because of that i really do feel that SGU should not enter production untill SGA ends, and maybe wait a godd year or two after.

Comment

No rush for SGU Atlantis is on the rise and still has yet to hit its highest peak, sg1 movies are selling like hotcakes. I like wut someone said higher up about overlapping like tng/ds9/voy. Idealically id like to see SGA set up SGU the same way sg1 led into SGA.

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post

Thats my biggest fear that the Stargate franshise will fall on its face just like the the Star Trek franshise. The problem was that there a Star Trek overload which resulted in the quality dropping. That has the potenial of also happening to Stargate if they keep creating new spin-offs.

Because of that i really do feel that SGU should not enter production untill SGA ends, and maybe wait a godd year or two after.
                  Well part of the ds9/voy problem was Paramount stopped really supporting ds9 when they started voyager. But also I think they should do like...what kymeric suggested and use SGA to setup SGU. Like SG1 did with SGA.
                  I agree, however i say have SGA/SGU overlap one season. The last season of SGA and the first season of SGU. Very similar to how SG1/SGA was supposed to be. That is what TNG/DS9 did. DS9 aired in the 2nd to last or last season of TNG. Voyager was launched way to early in the DS9 time frame. Hell, DS9 hadn't even started the Dominion War yet, and that is where the series really takes off, but that is for a different thread.

Also does any body have links to info on SGU? All i really know is that it utilizes the 9th cheveron.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                    No rush for SGU Atlantis is on the rise and still has yet to hit its highest peak, sg1 movies are selling like hotcakes.
                    That's so true, and with a potenisal 3rd movie heading into production next year.........SGU isnt gonna be stating up soon.

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                    I like wut someone said higher up about overlapping like tng/ds9/voy. Idealically id like to see SGA set up SGU the same way sg1 led into SGA.
                    Speaking of movies I’m sure that I read this at one point, but wasn’t the idea to launch SGU on the back of a movie??

Comment

I have mixed opinions about Universe. While any Stargate series is welcome, I worry that too much of SG-1 and Atlantis will be linked to it. I'd prefer a stand-alone series with the occasional reference, but a completely new cast with new ideas. I'm willing to wait for as long as it takes to make the series great. Putting it on the backend of a movie sounds like a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X