This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuum Plot Error SPOILERS

I have been reading this forum for a while and just had to register to get this off my mind, watched the movie for the second time today...

Near the end of the movie where SG1 goto the planet where Baal's time machine is located.

How is the time machine there??

Baal invented the time machine to go back and stop the stargate program from ever starting, which he succeeded in doing, so he had no need to invent it in the current timeline.

If the story is working on the alternate universe theory as explained in the time travel extra on the bluray then the time machine should not have existed.

The machine was Ancient, hence the Ancient text displays and satelites around every star in the galaxy. Sorry to burst your bubble, Ba'al found it, but didn't make it.

Which also, as a side note, means it's still sitting out there waiting to be used.

Comment

That explains it. Thanks.

Comment

Not a problem!

Comment

Even if that isn't the case (Ba'al has stolen/used plenty of other Ancient tech), it's clear that he was using the place in his alternate timeline, because he always knew what the other System Lords were going to do.

So even if he had built it himself, rebuilding it was clearly the first thing he did when he went back. What else was he doing in the 20 years before he went to find Kitesh?

I'm guessing however that Mitchel might have gated back to Praxyon in 1939 with the portable DHD and in some way ruined the place if it WAS Ancient-built.

Comment

Actually Ba'al built it. At the beginning the clone Ba'al says that the fail-safe was 'just recently completed.'

'happiness is a warm gun' sig made by Bandcat
            Draco sig made by Spork67

Comment

Perhaps he assembled it, but did not create it. Y'know, Ba'al was wandering around some planet and came across a big cardboard box marked, "Time Machine - for Ancients 3 and up."

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
              O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Lol Maybe, but Brad Wright said that Ba'al built another on.

Comment

Calling it a "fail safe" suggests that he rebuilt it again (if he built it) in case his evil schemes went to hell and he had to start again.

Comment

Which they probably did. Cause SG-1 did a lot.

Comment

I'm working under the assumption that the Fail-safe was incomplete/damaged and Ba'al finished it/repaired it judging by his comments then. If he built it from scratch, I doubt the text would be in Ancient and he would've spent a VERY LONG TIME placing satelites all over the galaxy.

Which begs the question, after all these years and with the technology Earth has acquired, why hasn't our Sun's satelite been located/found/detected?

Comment

Working...
                      X