The Alternate Reality Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Alternate Reality Drive

I don't think the alternate reality drive could work the way it said it could work. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the way that the drive is powered the exact same method that Project Arcturus was trying to do. McKay said in last week's episode that:

McKAY: It's power generation. I mean, jumping from one reality to another requires massive amounts of power. We're talking ZedP.M. levels here. Obviously they didn't have one of those rattling around, so they created a capacitor that's constantly drawing power from sub-space.

And in Trinity Zelenka said:

ZELENKA: Project Arcturus was attempting to extract vacuum energy from our own space-time, making it potentially as powerful as the scope of the universe itself.

Am I missing something? Or do the alternate reality McKay from the original reality manage to do something that this McKay and the Ancients couldn't by extracting power from our own subspace?

Feel free to enlighten me...

Ace
    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

The simple answer is that subspace is a dimension seperate from our universe, but parallel to it. So it's not the same thing.

Comment

but they said that arcturus was extracting subspace energy from our universe, I think it is the same but like the weapon on the arcturus project, they have to keep jumping to prevent an overload. Perhaps the problems of exotic particles is solved by the constant jumping from universe to universe, preventing a dangerous buildup and if it runs at a lower power it won't create as many

Comment

Originally posted by NIKIN View Post
        but they said that arcturus was extracting subspace energy from our universe
        You're mistaken, that's not what was said in the episode...

McKAY: A Zero Point Module is an artificially created region of subspace time. It's kind of like a miniature universe in a bottle.

ZELENKA: It extracts vacuum energy from this artificial region of subspace time until it reaches maximum entropy.

CALDWELL: So what's different about this thing?

ZELENKA: Project Arcturus was attempting to extract vacuum energy from our own space-time, making it potentially as powerful as the scope of the universe itself.

Comment

yeah from what i got ZPMs derive energy form an artifical universe made inside the ZPM. and its depleted once enough energy is used and the mini universe is filled with exotic particles that dont apply to the rules physics.

in Trinity they find that base station that tries to take energy from our own universe and it doesn't work becuase of teh creation of these exotic particles causing havoc around us.

in mckay and mrs millar, from what i can remember they try tap into another dimensions universe to take energy from. but they tapped into alternate mckays dimension and so he came thru to tell them to stop.

as far as this generator goes, i think it doesn't continuosly takes energy from our universe providing energy on demand like a ZPM or the other times we've tried but however this generator either

A) takes a little at a time from the current universe to prevent exotic particle build up.

B) takes a little from many alternate dimensions universe to prevent any exotic particle build up anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
            You're mistaken, that's not what was said in the episode...

McKAY: A Zero Point Module is an artificially created region of subspace time. It's kind of like a miniature universe in a bottle.

ZELENKA: It extracts vacuum energy from this artificial region of subspace time until it reaches maximum entropy.

CALDWELL: So what's different about this thing?

thats what i thought, and i think its just that the other mckay managed what ours couldnt, we dont know what he had at his disposal that our mckay doesnt

Comment

I think the difference is in the type of energy they are drawing. ZPMs and Arcturus drew power from vacuum energy, TDV just drew power from subspace.

While ZPMs draw power from vacuum energy that is trapped in a mini subspace time universe, I believe that the energy they are drawing is a different form other than vacuum. I would imagine that the power is much like vacuum, ie nearly limitless as proportional to our universe, but is "low voltage" and can only be drawn in small ammounts and the capacitor is used to build up the power.

Comment

Well you see...it's all very technical. But you see the glowy thing activates some sort of space thingy that enables some blue blinky lights to start blinking...then there's a humming sound and some more glowy lights. Then a BIG glowy light and then finally they are in an alternate reality.
                It feels good to be alive.
                Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

i was just wondering, but does that mean McKay downloaded the information on the drive technology and might use it in the future ??
                  sigpic
                  May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by MIZA View Post
                    i was just wondering, but does that mean McKay downloaded the information on the drive technology and might use it in the future ??
                    well considering that he was looking over the drive plans on his tablet while in the infirmary at the end saying he could make it work i'm gonna go with yes

Comment

I’ve wrote this a few times now but I want to see a salvage operation undertaken by the IOA, an internationally crewed vessel.

My idea…
                      A new ship exits hyperspace over the Atlantean city; a new sleeker, longer designed vessel. The new Earth vessel “Bellerophon” (there is a Simpson link if you know the story, and a Pegasus link!) This new vessel is commanded by a British female (not only is the commanding officer not American she is female.) They have orders to find the alternate Deadalus, to repair it and bring it back. They take the team as Rodney’s designs have built a new more reliable alternate universe drive.

When they locate the ships drive signature, they also discover that the mystery foe they previously combated from this alternate universe have also discovered the signal. Can the team repair the ship and get it back before their foes catch p with them?

Scrapheap Challenge/ Junkyard Wars...lol

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X