Rail Gun Less Advanced Then Navy's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rail Gun Less Advanced Then Navy's

The current Rail Gun system used on board the current BC-304s is actually far less advanced then the latest weapon system the military has developed. If you don't believe me see for your self: http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,160195,00.html

Originally posted by sperry1975 View Post
    The current Rail Gun system used on board the current BC-304s is actually far less advanced then the latest weapon system the military has developed. If you don't believe me see for your self: http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,160195,00.html
    Umm, I know Sheppards called them Railguns but I think the ones in DV are Gattling Guns. Also remember, Ronon was firing them and he had no idea what to do.

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
    Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

How are those any better then the 304s?

Also, they are in a Gatling gun configuration, but if they use rails and magnetic currents to propel the projectiles then they are still railguns.

Comment

what we saw recently was not a railgun, well at least it wouldnt in real life, the gun that we saw shooting from the 304 in daedalus variations was a Phalanx Close-In Weapon System (CIWS)...or it looked very similar to one

in no way would the current (real life) rail guns be better then the ones in the show...why? because they actually work, we have seen them last for extended volleys of many shots while current high power rail guns need their rails replaced a lot (perhaps in stargate, the explanation for this is materials like trinium)

on top of that, i dont think current rail guns could rip apart a wraith hanger bay like it had done in No Man's Land (i believe that was the episode)

Comment

Lets revisit this once it's actually been fired on a navy vessel.

Comment

From stargate.wikia.org:
            Railguns are electromagnetic projectile devices which use electromagnetic means to accelerate solid materials. Such weapons are used as artillery weapons by vessels in the Tau'ri fleet. A standard magazine will carry ten thousand rounds, capable of delivering shots at a velocity of mach 5 at a distance of 250 miles. They have become standard on the F-302, BC-303, and 304 series for ship to ship combat, and a few shots will be able to take out a Wraith dart relatively quickly, though Ori shields are significantly more difficult to pierce
            In reality, the technology exists to build railguns; however, it is difficult to obtain sufficient power for them to be effective and to get the barrel of the gun in question to withstand the extreme temperatures and speeds of the projectile, wearing out the barrel with only a few uses. Presumably, the fictional explanation for the ability to make operational railguns would be the invention of the Naquadah generator and the discovery of more durable materials, such as Trinium.

From the article:
            The lab version doesn't look particularly menacing -- more like a long, belt-fed airport screening device than like a futuristic cannon -- but the system will fire rounds at up to Mach 8. The Marines, in particular, are interested in the potential for rail guns to deliver supporting fire from up to 220 miles away. Effective rail guns will require a major breakthrough in materials between now and 2020, to keep the guns themselves from being shredded by each high-velocity barrage. Which means that for now, rail guns are precisely like lasers in one crucial way: They're Holy Grails, irresistible precisely because they're out of reach.

Comment

I see. Roughly an 2000 mph difference. I just found out the info on the railguns come from 'The Siege part 2' and they were the rail guns for the Prometheus. However, those rail guns were much different from the ones of the Daedalus. Looked more like real rail guns would look like. I think it would be safe to say the ones on 304s are an upgraded version.
              Last edited by Myles; 04 August 2008, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                Lets revisit this once it's actually been fired on a navy vessel.
                The navy is not going to fit these guns to there boats if they don't work. In addition to that they've already been tested out and shown on a program called future weapons. Also one thing you all should note is on the last episode of Atlantis as well as many other instances of this show and the AA guns being fired (or what ever you want to call them) they are very inaccurate. Whereas this system I provided the link for is a very accurate system, you would note that by reading the article. And there are systems on our ships already that are accurate enough to take out an incoming missile.

Comment

The navy is not going to fit these guns to there boats if they don't work.
                  Which is why they aren't installing anything yet. The device described in the article is a laboratory prototype that is nowhere near being operational.
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

ours are way more advanced, as navy ones go as far as firing once, then they are damaged beyond repair

Comment

I dont know why people keep saying their not railguns, when in the episode itself they called them railguns. So unless otherwise said by characters or the writers themselves, they are railguns.
                      Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                        I dont know why people keep saying their not railguns, when in the episode itself they called them railguns. So unless otherwise said by characters or the writers themselves, they are railguns.
                        because they can't be railguns. they're called railguns but in design they're not. guns saw in deadalus variations were actually CIWS. the similarity is so unnerving.
                        http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...pon_System.jpg

also i don't believe that bursts of fire appear from a railgun barrel since it's not designed to use chemical propellants. there are no explosions when firing a rail gun therefore no fire.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ziga1980 View Post
                          because they can't be railguns. they're called railguns but in design they're not. guns saw in deadalus variations were actually CIWS. the similarity is so unnerving.
                          http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...pon_System.jpg

also i don't believe that bursts of fire appear from a railgun barrel since it's not designed to use chemical propellants. there are no explosions when firing a rail gun therefore no fire.
                          The characters called them railgins, the creators call them railguns SO THEY ARE RAILGUNS.

I don't know some people why can't accept this. Maybe they build railguns in a similar design like CIWS. About the burst, I don't know exactly, but it can be only a mistake(I don't think the makers of the show's CGI care about that there are burst or not if they fire with a railgun). It's like with the rockets, in some episodes they had smoketrail behind them and in some episodes they had not.

So with all respect, it's only a show.

Comment

Maybe there are just railguns using the CIWS system as its sensors but the gatling gun has been replaced by a railgun. Therefore still a railgun using the CIWS system.

The gun rails were most likely contained inside the barrel of the guns saw of DV aslong as it doesnt touch the rails then they won't do anything else to the gun. The reasons to add a barrel are reasonable aswell:

1) Either you dont want people to touch them when there outside the ship maybe screwing up the calibration.

2) Becuase it provides protection to the rails when underfire from enemy ships.

There's plenty of reason for it to have a barrel.

The ones used on Atlantis might have been for Prometheus but because they were designed to be operated on ships the human guidance system was flawed and had to have more of a manuel interface, Also the railguns of Daedalus aren't that accurate either.

Maybe their rouds look a different colour because they were a different round being fired maybe Tungsten or Trinium were as 304's use another material. Possibly because they wanted the Daedalus and Prom to have different colour fire to track who's shooting what were in a fleet battle.
                            if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

The guns in daedalus variatons could be railguns. They don't need to look like their real world counterparts.

Take guns for example. They all shoot something, but they can look diffirent

Go Green

Comment

Working...
                              X