Ship upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ship upgrades?

In season 3 of sg1, in the episode "Deadman Switch" we are introduced to the scout ship. They could escaped the bounty hunter by flying it back home, but they said the hyperdrive only goes 2 times the speed of light which would mean that the journey would take 10 years. What??? In countless other episodes, the scout ship is seen going waaaaay faster than that and in a big galaxy, 2 times the speed of light isn't even practical. Also the scout ship that we see has cloaking capability and Aris said that it's an upgrade from the original, but then in the rest of the series, every scout ship has cloaking. plot hole??????

KEEP IT CLEAN
    Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
    Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Well stargate isn't really the most consistent when it comes to tech they write for the story not for the geek in us

So just ignore it because thats what the rest of us have done
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by unluckynumber11 View Post
      In season 3 of sg1, in the episode "Deadman Switch" we are introduced to the scout ship. They could escaped the bounty hunter by flying it back home, but they said the hyperdrive only goes 2 times the speed of light which would mean that the journey would take 10 years. What??? In countless other episodes, the scout ship is seen going waaaaay faster than that and in a big galaxy, 2 times the speed of light isn't even practical. Also the scout ship that we see has cloaking capability and Aris said that it's an upgrade from the original, but then in the rest of the series, every scout ship has cloaking. plot hole??????
      It was an upgrade made by the Tok'ra. Every scout ship cloaked that we've seen after that was from the Tok'ra. It's after the demise of the Goa'uld that we started to see more of them at the hands of smugglers, bounty hunters and so on.

And concerning the speed, consider the difference in Earth tech level between Children of Gods and Prometheus.

It's consistent to me that other races improved also their tech. What pisses me off is rather when it's the contrary that happens....
      La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
      L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
        It was an upgrade made by the Tok'ra. Every scout ship cloaked that we've seen after that was from the Tok'ra. It's after the demise of the Goa'uld that we started to see more of them at the hands of smugglers, bounty hunters and so on.
        Where was that said?
        Meh.

Comment

The Tel'tac was a very common ship used for many purposes. The Goauld had cloak tech. Why would you go the the expense of installing it in all of your small ships?

It would be great for scout and recon. but if the ship is just moving stuff and people? A very powerful bit of tech would end up in the hands of people using it against him. The Goauld would want it controlled. The Tok'ra were more united, and had much more need.

I can't think of a case were we see Go'auld Tel'tacs with a cloak. But lots of smugglers and spies and misc with them.

As for the 2X light....you just have to ignore it. They did lots of really stupid stuff like that. Besides, how did he get there to begin with? The ship must have been faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
            Where was that said?
            Well Aris Boch siad that it was an upgrade and later in the episode we learned that he stole the ship to the Tokra he was hunting. Since it's also part of the Tokra M.O. and that it would take time to make such an improvement while chasing someone, you can safely assume that it was the Tokra that made it.

And about the part about the bounty hunters and so on, just check all the time we've seen the Tel'tak cloaked and you would think the same.

Not : in the episode where Thor was captured by Osiris, he/she seemed to know about cloaking technology. So maybe it is because she is aware of the Tokra actions or that more generally cloaking technology is quite common among the Goa'uld. But this is just speculation.
            La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
            L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Maybe Tel'taks are like our cars: some are very fast, others have the speed of a crazy snail, some have been to MTV Pimp my Ride , some run on eco-friendly fuel . Plus, it is possible that Aris Boch used an slower model but upgraded with a cloaking dev, so that the prisoniers that he would capture, in case they escape with the ship, won't get wherever they want in their lifetime (except for a goa'uld/tok'ra, but I don't think they can survive at least 10 years without food and water).
              Should have let the dog out
              It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
              -Dexter-

Comment

The only Goauld ships depicted with cloaks are the fleet built by Sokar, and a few select Al'khesh. But these always had a Spec/Op mission. (the one orbiting the moon used by Osiris, and the one on call for Tanith to name two)

Selmak said the Goauld had cloaks, but just hadn't made them work on capital ships. (prior to Sokar) We did see alot of variation among the Hat'aks. No two were exactly equal.

Comment

Well we know they are costumized. (the ties that bind.) And we know that there are a lot of different variations of Goa'uld ships

-Ha'tak
                  -Ha'tak with cloak (the serpents venom)
                  -ha'tak with beaming tech
                  -Tel'tak
                  -Tel'tak with cloak
                  -Tel'tak with phantom and pulse wave (the ties that bind)
                  -Tel'tak with weapons(Bounty)
                  -Tel'tak with beaming tech (Bounty)
                  -Al'kesh
                  -Al'kesh with cloak
                  -Al'kesh with beaming tech
                  -Death Glider
                  -Death Glider with rings (children of the Gods)

I say they are customized. If you were to spy on motherships with a Tel'tak you would not need shield and could use the power for the cloak

Comment

he had either modded it so noone could get away with it anywhere, as only he knows how to mod it back, or he was unlucky and couldnt afford a proper one

Comment

Hyperdrive speed capabilities have never been consistent in Stargate. It usually takes a ship to travel from point A to point B as much as the writers need it to take, no matter de distance.

It's been stated that the journey from earth to atlantis takes 3 weeks (18 days according to Weir in Intruder), the distance being (almost) 3 million light years. That means 170 000 ly/day. The Milky Way is 100 000 ly across. But then the Prometheus conveniently needed 2 weeks to reach another planet within the galaxy at maximum speed (Prototype).
                      Last edited by Gatz; 05 August 2008, 11:39 AM. Reason: Added the episode to one of the references

Comment

different hyperdrives.
                        Originally posted by Craig Charles
                        "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
                          different hyperdrives.
                          I don't know who you are answering, but if it is for me, I don't think so. Prototype is only 4 episodes away from Ripple Effect(3 weeks mention). There's no dialogue that suggests Prometheus had a different hyperdrive. Besides, it was already given a new one around Avalon I

Comment

Forgot a few zeros, 200 times the speed of light.

Earth tech improved, but keep in mind now nearly all was given by the Asgard, thus Earth has the best tech, by far in the area of warships.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatz View Post
                              I don't know who you are answering, but if it is for me, I don't think so. Prototype is only 4 episodes away from Ripple Effect(3 weeks mention). There's no dialogue that suggests Prometheus had a different hyperdrive. Besides, it was already given a new one around Avalon I
                              Maybe another one, we have seen the Asgard giving them upgrades all the time, the already got additional Asgard designed tech in Unnatural selection and the Asgard installed it in a few hours topp. Besides Asgard have shown to have tech that is very independent. The control chairs and consoles could be beamed somewhere and used individually (SG1: Unnatural Selection; Thor beams had his chair beamed onto Prometheus and uses the flight controls there to send his ship and Prometheus to Earth. ATL: Allies; The Asgard Hermiod helps Mckay break the jamming codes and uses an Asgard console from the Daedalus while the Daedalus is lightyears away.

But Atlantis hasn't really been strict about hyperdrives. It was stated that the Aurora interstellar hyperdrive is far less advanced than the Daedalus using a Asgard hyperdrive. Yet the Orion (equipped with interstellar otherwise the hyperjump in Inferno would have send them a lot farther than orbit) could match up to the Daedalus going as fast as it can to intercept the Hives. It only arrives a minute after the Daedalus.

Comment

Working...
                              X