just started watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just started watching

Just started watching farscape..am up to episode 7, am enjoying it of sorts. some of the story lines are just plain daft, and outside the main actors some of the acting is just a joke...please tell me it gets better

It gets better

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

It takes a certain type of mindset or lack of one to "get" Farscape.Interestingly critics got it but SciFi execs felt their fans preferred a show that didn't require thinking....

angie
      benbrowder.net
      Ben Browder : blowin up things and kissin that's what we call Drahma !

Comment

Originally posted by scapephile View Post
        It takes a certain type of mindset or lack of one to "get" Farscape.Interestingly critics got it but SciFi execs felt their fans preferred a show that didn't require thinking....

angie
        benbrowder.net
        Farscape also treated it's audience like intelligent humans who actually do know how to think. None of the "let us explain what's going on here" type of characters or plot points were used much, if at all.

As for the acting, it totally gets better, trust me.
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
          Farscape also treated it's audience like intelligent humans who actually do know how to think. None of the "let us explain what's going on here" type of characters or plot points were used much, if at all.

As for the acting, it totally gets better, trust me.
          And that is pretty rare for a show to treat it's audience like that. That is definitely one of the top things I appreciated about Farscape.

Just wait for some of the stellar performances you'll see over the course of Farscape's 4 seasons.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Farscape season one is not the best but its got some great episodes like PKTechGirl, Durka Returns and OldBlackMagic. Epsiode "A Human Reaction" is very important, it sets the stage for a new villain and S2 one of the best seasons of any scifi show. Keep going icelandicwolf, the best is yet to come

Comment

Originally posted by Bey0nd View Post
              Farscape season one is not the best but its got some great episodes like PKTechGirl, Durka Returns and OldBlackMagic. Epsiode "A Human Reaction" is very important, it sets the stage for a new villain and S2 one of the best seasons of any scifi show. Keep going icelandicwolf, the best is yet to come
              You forgot DNA Mad Scientist. That's one awesome eps from S1.
              sigpic

Comment

yeah I have come across a few episodes where the acting by the supporting cast is actually good!
                I forget the names of some of them, but PKTechGirl stands out as one of the better ones so far...just finished watching DNA Mad Scientist, was good and an interesting plot, bit disapointed that pilot isn't more angry than he really has a right too be...but ho hum.
                Also liked the one (I forget the name of the episode) where Crichton has to fight Krise (spelt wrong I am sure) and you got that emotional dracula.....
                So slowly it's getting there....

Comment

Keep at it. Once you hit Durka Returns you won't want to stop watching
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                    Keep at it. Once you hit Durka Returns you won't want to stop watching
                    I would say there is a high probability of that.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

That is true, Farscape is a gem, this thread and it's singing appraises is testiment to it's high esteeme...I love Farscape and own it on DVD, whilst brother and friends ask why I bothered to spend money on it and watch it...:O

Oh dear, THEIR LOSS hehe

Keep Watching, Infact I haven't seen it in a while, I may join you on the viewings
                      sigpic
                      In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

Comment

So, icelandicwolf, are you still watching Farscape?
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I was just telling someone today I would be watching all 4 seasons again (for the third or is it fourth time). The one point I made is that Season 1 is always the hardest to get through because it is the *building season*. The characters are being built, all of the little sub-plots that run through out the show are being built, the story itself is being built.

So once I get done with season 1 its time to rock & roll Even though I have watched as many times as I have.. I never skip Season 1 because it always reminds me of all the little things I tend to forget, and sometimes those are new things . So I watch even though some episodes don't seem as worthwhile as what I know is to come.

What I found interesting was the person's reply to my statement..they said..for most shows Season 1 is always considered the weakest...so that is a point to ponder as you embark on your Farscape adventure I have yet to be let down on mine
                          Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Exactly Tame, exactly! I liken the first season of any show to a toddler just learning to walk. They make little baby steps...like holding onto things to help them establish better balance. Eventually they get brave enough to start letting go. They occasionally fall but they usually get back up and go again.

That's what S1 of FS is like for me...there are eps that are kinda like a toddler holding onto things for balance and then (especially towards the end) there are eps where they've let go made a few steps and then down they go on their bums (Jeremiah Crichton for example. ). But up FS got and kept walking.

That's why I too do not discourage folks from watching S1. You really should watch most if not all of it so you know who the key players are and how they all wound up together. It's also the season where you get to see them start off as enemies and then by the end, they're a family and one you do NOT mess with.
                            sigpic

Comment

I gotta comment here. I can understand why you would feel confused or somewhat ambivalent when you start watching, but by the end of season one, you will be hooked. At that point, the character relationships start to solidify and you are given a much better villain. I started watching Farscape after SG-1 was canceled (I know, I was a late comer) and I was confused through most of season one, but after that, I loved it. Basically, it takes a while to get immersed in Farscape.

Farscape does make you think and figure some things out on your own. It also reminds you not to take everything seriously, because occasionally it's just plain wacky.

As for the acting... I've heard several complaints about it lately, but I think that's mostly because the characters don't make sense when you only watch one or two episodes, so viewers interpret their own confusion as bad acting. All of the lead actors are quite good (even some of the supporting actors were quite good... often good enough to become a major part of the show).

Keep watching. I'm glad I did.
                              Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                              Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Working...
                              X