Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What you do/don't like about Stargate and other shows...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you do/don't like about Stargate and other shows...

I dont like the fact that during the SG-1 mainly the only nation showed is USA, I mean all the scientists and staff are from the United States, that does not correspond to the true. In fact I belive there are a lot of scientists out there who are not "americans" and are the top on their subjects.
    (That was fixed in SGA, where there are several ppl from other countries)

besides (from "The torment of tantalus"):
    "EARNEST: No prize is worth attaining if you can never share it, there would be no point. Believe me, I know. "

Again the only nation who get benefits from the stargate is the USA.

I dont belive that a world where there is still such a primitive division of the territory in countries is ready to be the fifith race. I would like to see the world standing against its enemies as one, where ofc the usa plays a major role.
    Last edited by packed; 02 August 2008, 11:08 PM. Reason: miss pressed enter
    Packed - FBR

never going to happen in real life or in the series...sorry to dissapoint you
    The BC-304... Just Try And Stop Us Now!

sigpic

Comment

No show is perfect, and its probably impossible to make such a show...so taking this in mind, the only things I dont like about the two shows personally is 1) the lack of truly alien enemies. All the major enemies have always been humanoid - I find this gets very dull (for me), id like to see some cool costumes that are more alien - dr who did it with daleks and babylon5 did it with the vorlons so I doubt its a budget issue.

The second crit, which IS probably a budget issue is the alien worlds in Atlantis always seem to be a damn forest. It doesnt bother me as much but id like to see more worlds that dont look like a canadian forest. More of a nitpick than anything.

Otherwise I can enjoy the shows for the most part
      Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
      Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

SG-1. I hated the chesiness of Season 7-8 in SG-1. The Krull were really stupid and it just seemed that the writers were so excited about Atlantis that they forgot SG-1. It gets much, much better in Season 9 where the Ori are intrduced.

SGA, I hate how in Season 5, the writers are trying to force a character chemistry. I know that's what the fans want, but SGA is not a team-based show. It's an expedition to another galaxy which happens to contain alot of bad guys.

Some things that i hate overall with these shows is the lack of CGI alien. The whole a-dude-wears-make-up thing is getting old. The Wraith were actually pretty awesome, but that was a one-hit wonder. BSG has the Centaurions. Why can't SGA have anything like that? And while we're discussing CGI, I find BSG's to be far superior than Stargate's.

Comment

Originally posted by blitzsnake View Post
          SG-1. I hated the chesiness of Season 7-8 in SG-1. The Krull were really stupid and it just seemed that the writers were so excited about Atlantis that they forgot SG-1. It gets much, much better in Season 9 where the Ori are intrduced.

SGA, I hate how in Season 5, the writers are trying to force a character chemistry. I know that's what the fans want, but SGA is not a team-based show. It's an expedition to another galaxy which happens to contain alot of bad guys.

Some things that i hate overall with these shows is the lack of CGI alien. The whole a-dude-wears-make-up thing is getting old. The Wraith were actually pretty awesome, but that was a one-hit wonder. BSG has the Centaurions. Why can't SGA have anything like that? And while we're discussing CGI, I find BSG's to be far superior than Stargate's.

To me, the cheesiness didn't begin until season 9. Season 9 tried way too hard to NOT be cheesy, thus becoming cheesy and campy. The first eight seasons of SG1 didn't take itself too seriously, and simply told a bunch of good stories, which made the cheesiness endearing since it was well-measured and intentional. The last two seasons made such an effort to be "bad-ass" that I felt it became the campiest two seasons of sci-fi I've seen in my life, and felt like a self-parody a la Wormhole X-Treme. GRANTED, I can't complain too much, because while I recognized this, I still enjoyed it.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

NO AUSTRALIANS ON THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i mean a proper character with lines not an extra, even a line would do

apart from that its alright

Comment

Originally posted by packed View Post
              I dont like the fact that during the SG-1 mainly the only nation showed is USA, I mean all the scientists and staff are from the United States, that does not correspond to the true. In fact I belive there are a lot of scientists out there who are not "americans" and are the top on their subjects.

"EARNEST: No prize is worth attaining if you can never share it, there would be no point. Believe me, I know. "

I dont belive that a world where there is still such a primitive division of the territory in countries is ready to be the fifith race. I would like to see the world standing against its enemies as one, where ofc the usa plays a major role.
              But the thing is that... it's a dream, never going 2 happen'
              The enemy of my enemy it's still my enemy.
              Spoiler:
              Originally posted by Karhedron
              I think the thing with the Quantum mirror and The 6th Race would rather result in a thread like

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't like the Asgard .

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for the Asgard. They were just making it so they could snub their noses at them from several dimensions. They might have been powerful but their lack of respect for our off-world allies is astonishing.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7...3095364gi3.png

Comment

I didn't mind that in SG-1. Fact of the matter is that it made it more realistic. I would have liked to see a couple more teams that were made up of people from other countries. I would be thrilled with a Team made up of British SAS troops for example. But other than that the idea that the US would keep the stargate to themselves and only bring in Americans is quite realistic in itself. I mean they probably had scientists from other countries in the SGC somewhere but of course all we ever really saw was Sam and Doctor Lee.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I hate the fast-pasted-ness of some of the episodes, but I've only noticed it now the slower pasted movies have been released. I know they need to get a lot of information across in a short time, but I constantly find myself rewinding the DVD because I didn't quite catch what they said.
                  I've often wondered why they don't include longer versions of episodes on DVDs. I know they need to cut it down to 40mins on the TV but such restrictions don't apply on DVD. It shouldn't be much more money to edit together a longer version, especially when the scenes were shot in the first place (Sora-Bomb trade in Siege, a scene from Bad Guys that as cut extra). It will probably even help sales
                  Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

This has bugged me before, but remember, it's a show produced in Canada chiefly for the US. And it's not exclusive to Stargate or the US - Doctor Who is a good example, given how often aliens inexplicably choose the UK to do their dastardly deeds.

And besides, Americans in Who are invariably evil or misguided, just as non Americans in Stargate are ridiculed. Yes it's annoying, and I'd definitely like to see more positive international roles in Stargate, but it's also mostly understandable and not unique to the US.

Originally posted by Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab View Post
                    No show is perfect, and its probably impossible to make such a show...so taking this in mind, the only things I dont like about the two shows personally is 1) the lack of truly alien enemies. All the major enemies have always been humanoid - I find this gets very dull (for me), id like to see some cool costumes that are more alien - dr who did it with daleks and babylon5 did it with the vorlons so I doubt its a budget issue.
                    Well said. Fewer, better aliens are preferable to innumerable humanoids.

Originally posted by Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab View Post
                    The second crit, which IS probably a budget issue is the alien worlds in Atlantis always seem to be a damn forest. It doesnt bother me as much but id like to see more worlds that dont look like a canadian forest. More of a nitpick than anything.

Otherwise I can enjoy the shows for the most part
                    Except early SG-1 did a pretty good job breaking up the Vancouver worlds with some decent 'out there' stuff, it just seemed to get abandoned. But yeah, some more alien worlds would be appreciated.

I completely agree. The Kull were so poorly designed I didn't know whether to laugh or lament a once great show. And season 8 is my least favourite season in SG-1 - I wish it hadn't happened.

There is no chemistry in SGA, not compared to SG-1 - except for Shep and McKay, and much as I like them, they can quickly get annoying. The forced chemistry episodes like Quarantine and Trio just prove that SGA is going in the wrong direction. If SGA is supposed to be more militaristic than SG-1, fair enough - show the fighting, and don't keep trying to force characters together as if to say "see? see? they're bonding! Eh? Eh?".

I think Stargate's CGI is pretty good, but the Wraith are a waste of a good idea. So much potential, so little actual result. And CGI aliens would be very good, but only if done well - which is expensive.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    I didn't mind that in SG-1. Fact of the matter is that it made it more realistic. I would have liked to see a couple more teams that were made up of people from other countries. I would be thrilled with a Team made up of British SAS troops for example. But other than that the idea that the US would keep the stargate to themselves and only bring in Americans is quite realistic in itself. I mean they probably had scientists from other countries in the SGC somewhere but of course all we ever really saw was Sam and Doctor Lee.
                    SG-SAS...oh if only. As long as Ross Kemp never finds out they're auditioning...
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

SG-1: That it's over and now all we get is the occasional movie
                      SGA: All flash, no substance--borrowed and recycled plots all the time
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I don't find them entertaining anymore.

I'm willing to overlook the safe, stay within the box concept, over-recycling plots, absurd and nonsensical events (boom tumor!) and underdeveloped characters as long as overall I get some satisfaction out of watching the show. I...don't.

Comment

I disagree, I think the show was at it's cheesiest in S9-10 simply because they were trying SO hard not to be.

This I agree with, character chemistry was forced throughout most of seasons 4 and 5.

The thing that made Stargate fun and unique was that it was different. Bringing in a bunch of CGI aliens just makes it a rehash of about twenty other sci-fi shows. I do agree wholeheartedly on the bolded part though. Stargate's VFX are almost laughable compared to BSG (i.e. the so-called "VFX fest" in the latest episode was mediocre compared to most BSG eps, imo)

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          SG-1: That it's over and now all we get is the occasional movie
                          SGA: All flash, no substance--borrowed and recycled plots all the time
                          Probably the best four words ever used to describe SGA. The show has become exactly that.

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                          I don't find them entertaining anymore.

I'm willing to overlook the safe, stay within the box concept, over-recycling plots, absurd and nonsensical events (boom tumor!) and underdeveloped characters as long as overall I get some satisfaction out of watching the show. I...don't.
                          Well said.
                          Last edited by Kezia; 03 August 2008, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I hate how even when they travel to a semi-advanced planet, the leader of the planet or nation is constantly meeting the team, as if they have nothing better to do. There are supposed to be million of people on the planet but we only see 10 of them. And the Chancellor or PM of whoever knows guards and lowly citizens on a first name basis, it just seems ridiculous.
                            sigpic
                            sig by Starlover1990

Comment

I grow tired of random primitive village planets. I wish them destruction.

I also want more exploration of the backstories of the Ancients and the Wraith; their individual histories and their war. Especially the Wraith; if we're going to have an one-off Wraith in an episode, then let's learn more about them instead of having them as just the baddy for our heroes to kill.

I don't like that they never talked about The Great Alliance of 4 Races; I thought there was potential there for some galaxy-wide revelations or something.

I don't like the lack of foreshadowing in the series. Random things would just pop up. A mention in a previous episode is all I need. Also, related to this is the lack of multi-season planning. I don't think it'll be that difficult to think up some plot points that can be explored in later seasons while the seeds and hints are purposefully laid out in the current season. It's not a matter of, "let's put this here and maybe we'll explore this later", but rather "we're going to do a big reveal later on so let's plant the seeds along the way". Luckily the writers have done pretty well with the former method so far though. Still, I'd like them to try the latter, even if SciFi only renews them one season at a time (something I also dislike).

Buuuuut...I accept that Stargate is the way it is. I'd be happy if they took my advice, but I won't lose sleep if they don't.

Though I do hate the village planets, and their associated villagers.

See, I can criticize.

Comment

Working...
                              X